The Art Institute of Seattle

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
2.1

Elden Monday

Great internal management, corporate interference began to ruin things

Former Employee - Work Study Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Work Study Administrative Assistant

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great 1st level boss. I was a full time student while working part time in a smaller department helping with basic clerical and reception work. My boss understood when I was sick or needed time off to work on schoolwork as that was my main priority. Worked with great people.

Cons

Being a for-profit, or as corporate likes to put it, a "proprietary"institution, people and privileges were slowly cut in the 2+ years that I was there. They often ended up cutting some of the best people in their positions for "restructuring".

I did not feel as though corporate cared about the people who worked there or the students who attended. Felt as though I was simply a number, filling their pockets and at the same time, another number costing them the fraction of the minimum wage I was paid. The also often disseminated incorrect information to students. I would constantly receive incorrect information regarding paperwork I needed to do as a student and later bring it up to my boss and be told that was incorrect, causing them to have to rush to clean up the mistakes that corporate made.

First job out of college, and AiS slapped me in the face at 100mph about how the "real world" was.

Former Employee - ADA in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - ADA in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Students
    I had my own offive at the time.......employees are now in cubicles.

Cons

NSR......weekly meeting to intimidate employees for high sales goals.
    This is a cut throat sales position disguised as an education position. Management e ill constantly tell you that you are "changing peoples lives". Well I'm. Older and wiser now, and i know that putting students into thousands of dollars worth of debt is not an honarable way to change a students life.
    Nobody tries to get to know you for at least 6 months.....if you make it past that 6 month mark othe employees will start to invest in you......maybee. The turnover is huge.
    FA and Admissions have horrible communication. We needed ttem, they needed us, why cant we just figure it out? If a problem between the two departments comes up it wil always be the ADA's fault, so prepare to get yelled at by your director and possibly the. FA director as well.
    The school in no way represents. What a hundred thousand dollar education should get you, making student tours eembarrassing.
    Gossip.....gossip....gossip.
    Stealing students off of random call lists.
    Required to continne to call students who have said "no" a dozen times.
    This list could go on for days.

Be honest about the ADA job description right away during the interview process. Turnover affects tbe students also.

Rats jumping off a sinking ship

Former Employee - Animation Instructor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Animation Instructor in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once upon a time is was a great place who taught students well.

Cons

Goldman-Saks bought the company and fired all the experienced people.

Die in a fire.

LAYOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS GALORE!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working with college students

Cons

The company is for-profit and is bleeding money, meaning that they are laying off all of their good people and trying to replace them with cheaper alternatives in order to avoid going under. Bad decisions all around.

Jump ship while you still can!

Good people

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle

Pros

I truly worked with some extremely talented instructors and directors at the Art Institute. They care about the success of the students.

Cons

The unfortunate piece is the corporate mandates that bog people down. Faculty want to teach and do a good job and not be caught up in the corporate paperwork, trainings, and requirements that do not have an impact at all on good teaching or student success. There are simply too many places where a box needs to be checked and that is it.

Training should NOT have been cut. Amazing people have been let go and the company does the bare minimum to take care of people. The C-levels are business people and they do not have education backgrounds or truly understand what is happening at the campus level with the people. It is all about profits, thus the name for-profit!

Age and wage discrimination

Former Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Students want to learn from professional artists

Cons

Most or all real long term teachers are let go because of high salaries. No Loyalty to faculty. Replace great faculty with adjunct, no skill instructors. Over charge students with profits as the bottom line.

An art school is not a business and quality teachers can not be replaced by amateurs. Banks like Goldman Sacks should not own art schools.

Fine first job, fresh out of college.

Current Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Seattle, WA

Pros

I was hired here right after college. Hiring process was very fast, 1st interview Wednesday, second Thursday and hired later that day. Waited 1 week for a background check then was made an official offer. Benefits are good, and after 1 year they make up to 6% match in retirement contributions. Great people!!

Cons

The corporate structure is in the process of centralizing as much as possible. No direct contact between campus employees and corporate employees, except through company portal.

After working here a few months, found out that there is very little upward mobility, a co-worker had been in the same position for 10 years (whether by choice or lack of advancement was unapparent). This was definitely a bummer as I am a young motivated employee looking to make my name at a company that so monotonously disregards skill and hard work.

There use to be a structure bonus and pay grade evaluation annually, but recent laws have come into effect that inhibit "in-scope" workers at proprietary (for-profit) colleges. These changes removed incentives and bonuses from the Admission and Financial Aid departments as it was seen as incentive to use illegal recruiting techniques and cutting corners in financial aid process... Basically whether you are great or lousy at your job you get paid and rewarded the same way. The year I started, the company RE-instituted a company wide 3% pay raise, which wasn't the worse thing ever.

Campus level management was great, Former Director and current Director are fantastic people and couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Campus President is an awesome guy who makes a point to talk to everyone and get to know EVERYONE on the campus!!!

Corporate: think before you act. Several changes were made to centralize certain processed of jobs around campus. This generally was a simple change that had a catastrophic effect downhill from where they were sitting.

This one time they had us audit all 1,600 student files to make sure authorization page was in all of them and to make sure it matched what the system showed, however did not tell us what this was for.

Awful company. Don't do it.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time

Pros

Interesting people who work there, and great kids.

Cons

Terrible management, insulting, numbers driven.

Treat your people with more respect.

Good for awhile, but you quickly realize it is not about the students, no matter what corporate says.

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are excellent. The students produce some of the most creative projects I have ever seen.

Cons

Low pay in comparison to local colleges. The school repeatedly cuts programs or classes (most of the time both) for both faculty and students creating a school that is all about they money (though they say they focus on the students.)

Focus of the students, increase programs for faculty, and include adjunct faculty. Pay a competitive salary for the area.

Take the good with the bad.

Current Employee - Instructor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Student focused curriculum that when presented properly encourages critical thinking and growth.
    Department directors are doing their best to stay focused on the quality of education.
    Some of the downsizing has actually refocused goals; combining some areas with Argosy University has created a more lively vibe in the halls.
    The faculty and much of the staff have high levels of professionalism and integrity, even with all of the chaos the past few years they still try to give the students a quality expereince.

Cons

As others have mentioned, there have been significant shifts in corporate goals and profit. They send out quarterly reports stating how we've made the company money shortly after laying off staff and facutly. This is definitely a top-down management company with all of us at the bottom trying to do the best for the students with less and less support.

Don't out source key positions (like all of the student support services). Consider how you can improve employee morale, you've removed all of the little things and tightened the screws, what are you going to give back?