The Art Institute of Seattle

Position as Academic Director managing 4 curriculums in Media

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle

Pros

Absolutely love working with faculty and students. Great creative talent here and inspiring cohorts

Cons

Upper Management directives seem disconnected from day to day realities.

Delegate more qualified people on your staff

Work with amazing people but expect horrible decisions made by the corporate

Former Employee - Support Staff in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great passionate students with dreams. You'll help them get through school and it's a rewarding feeling when you see them graduate and get their dream job.

Cons

You get to work with amazing staff and faculty. The people are great, it's just that corporate tend to make horrible decisions. Like downsizing 20-30 people across nation, and with that extra money, they remodeled the institutes a month later. Or they lay off people who's worked there for over 20 years for no reason- or important people like loan coordinators and people who contact students when their loans are due were laid off so a lot of students were defaulting in their loans. I heard that there were some bullying and harassment going on behind the admissions door- but I never knew what was going on. I guess they're very sales driven and it's cut throat if you don't recruit enough students.

My job was fine. Just the situation around me was tense. There's always war going between Financial aid and Admissions but I guess there will always be conflict between departments wherever you go. Not much room for growth. There's hardly any advancement.

Didn't really had any issues with anyone- just heard some stuff about Admissions managers.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Marketer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Great Team
    2. Flexibility
    3. Learn about different departments and enjoy student work
    4. Helping students

Cons

Not much to say here, I really enjoyed my time here and would recommend it to anybody who is looking for entry level positions and want to work for corporations.

Great internal management, corporate interference began to ruin things

Former Employee - Work Study Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Work Study Administrative Assistant

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great 1st level boss. I was a full time student while working part time in a smaller department helping with basic clerical and reception work. My boss understood when I was sick or needed time off to work on schoolwork as that was my main priority. Worked with great people.

Cons

Being a for-profit, or as corporate likes to put it, a "proprietary"institution, people and privileges were slowly cut in the 2+ years that I was there. They often ended up cutting some of the best people in their positions for "restructuring".

I did not feel as though corporate cared about the people who worked there or the students who attended. Felt as though I was simply a number, filling their pockets and at the same time, another number costing them the fraction of the minimum wage I was paid. The also often disseminated incorrect information to students. I would constantly receive incorrect information regarding paperwork I needed to do as a student and later bring it up to my boss and be told that was incorrect, causing them to have to rush to clean up the mistakes that corporate made.

Art Institute of Seattle

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

fun people to work with

Cons

leadership needs work, culture needs work

retain your employees

First job out of college, and AiS slapped me in the face at 100mph about how the "real world" was.

Former Employee - ADA in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - ADA in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Students
    I had my own offive at the time.......employees are now in cubicles.

Cons

NSR......weekly meeting to intimidate employees for high sales goals.
    This is a cut throat sales position disguised as an education position. Management e ill constantly tell you that you are "changing peoples lives". Well I'm. Older and wiser now, and i know that putting students into thousands of dollars worth of debt is not an honarable way to change a students life.
    Nobody tries to get to know you for at least 6 months.....if you make it past that 6 month mark othe employees will start to invest in you......maybee. The turnover is huge.
    FA and Admissions have horrible communication. We needed ttem, they needed us, why cant we just figure it out? If a problem between the two departments comes up it wil always be the ADA's fault, so prepare to get yelled at by your director and possibly the. FA director as well.
    The school in no way represents. What a hundred thousand dollar education should get you, making student tours eembarrassing.
    Gossip.....gossip....gossip.
    Stealing students off of random call lists.
    Required to continne to call students who have said "no" a dozen times.
    This list could go on for days.

Be honest about the ADA job description right away during the interview process. Turnover affects tbe students also.

Rats jumping off a sinking ship

Former Employee - Animation Instructor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Animation Instructor in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once upon a time is was a great place who taught students well.

Cons

Goldman-Saks bought the company and fired all the experienced people.

Die in a fire.

Good people

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle

Pros

I truly worked with some extremely talented instructors and directors at the Art Institute. They care about the success of the students.

Cons

The unfortunate piece is the corporate mandates that bog people down. Faculty want to teach and do a good job and not be caught up in the corporate paperwork, trainings, and requirements that do not have an impact at all on good teaching or student success. There are simply too many places where a box needs to be checked and that is it.

Training should NOT have been cut. Amazing people have been let go and the company does the bare minimum to take care of people. The C-levels are business people and they do not have education backgrounds or truly understand what is happening at the campus level with the people. It is all about profits, thus the name for-profit!

LAYOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS GALORE!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like working with college students

Cons

The company is for-profit and is bleeding money, meaning that they are laying off all of their good people and trying to replace them with cheaper alternatives in order to avoid going under. Bad decisions all around.

Jump ship while you still can!

Age and wage discrimination

Former Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institute of Seattle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Students want to learn from professional artists

Cons

Most or all real long term teachers are let go because of high salaries. No Loyalty to faculty. Replace great faculty with adjunct, no skill instructors. Over charge students with profits as the bottom line.

An art school is not a business and quality teachers can not be replaced by amateurs. Banks like Goldman Sacks should not own art schools.