The Art Institute of Seattle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Elden Monday

Good people

ProsI truly worked with some extremely talented instructors and directors at the Art Institute. They care about the success of the students.

ConsThe unfortunate piece is the corporate mandates that bog people down. Faculty want to teach and do a good job and not be caught up in the corporate paperwork, trainings, and requirements that do not have an impact at all on good teaching or student success. There are simply too many places where a box needs to be checked and that is it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining should NOT have been cut. Amazing people have been let go and the company does the bare minimum to take care of people. The C-levels are business people and they do not have education backgrounds or truly understand what is happening at the campus level with the people. It is all about profits, thus the name for-profit!

LAYOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS GALORE!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI like working with college students

ConsThe company is for-profit and is bleeding money, meaning that they are laying off all of their good people and trying to replace them with cheaper alternatives in order to avoid going under. Bad decisions all around.

Advice to Senior ManagementJump ship while you still can!

Age and wage discrimination

Faculty (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStudents want to learn from professional artists

ConsMost or all real long term teachers are let go because of high salaries. No Loyalty to faculty. Replace great faculty with adjunct, no skill instructors. Over charge students with profits as the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn art school is not a business and quality teachers can not be replaced by amateurs. Banks like Goldman Sacks should not own art schools.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine first job, fresh out of college.

Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI was hired here right after college. Hiring process was very fast, 1st interview Wednesday, second Thursday and hired later that day. Waited 1 week for a background check then was made an official offer. Benefits are good, and after 1 year they make up to 6% match in retirement contributions. Great people!!

ConsThe corporate structure is in the process of centralizing as much as possible. No direct contact between campus employees and corporate employees, except through company portal.

After working here a few months, found out that there is very little upward mobility, a co-worker had been in the same position for 10 years (whether by choice or lack of advancement was unapparent). This was definitely a bummer as I am a young motivated employee looking to make my name at a company that so monotonously disregards skill and hard work.

There use to be a structure bonus and pay grade evaluation annually, but recent laws have come into effect that inhibit "in-scope" workers at proprietary (for-profit) colleges. These changes removed incentives and bonuses from the Admission and Financial Aid departments as it was seen as incentive to use illegal recruiting techniques and cutting corners in financial aid process... Basically whether you are great or lousy at your job you get paid and rewarded the same way. The year I started, the company RE-instituted a company wide 3% pay raise, which wasn't the worse thing ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementCampus level management was great, Former Director and current Director are fantastic people and couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Campus President is an awesome guy who makes a point to talk to everyone and get to know EVERYONE on the campus!!!

Corporate: think before you act. Several changes were made to centralize certain processed of jobs around campus. This generally was a simple change that had a catastrophic effect downhill from where they were sitting.

This one time they had us audit all 1,600 student files to make sure authorization page was in all of them and to make sure it matched what the system showed, however did not tell us what this was for.

Awful company. Don't do it.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsInteresting people who work there, and great kids.

ConsTerrible management, insulting, numbers driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people with more respect.

Good for awhile, but you quickly realize it is not about the students, no matter what corporate says.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people who work here are excellent. The students produce some of the most creative projects I have ever seen.

ConsLow pay in comparison to local colleges. The school repeatedly cuts programs or classes (most of the time both) for both faculty and students creating a school that is all about they money (though they say they focus on the students.)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus of the students, increase programs for faculty, and include adjunct faculty. Pay a competitive salary for the area.

Company not putting as much into facilities. Cookie cutter rules from above.

ProsGreat co-workers, supervisor, and the actual work. Faculty gets a lot of freedom in the classroom.

ConsCompany not putting as much into facilities. Cookie cutter rules from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on giving students the best and using faculty to their best advantage. Trust the faculty more.

Take the good with the bad.

Instructor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStudent focused curriculum that when presented properly encourages critical thinking and growth.
    Department directors are doing their best to stay focused on the quality of education.
    Some of the downsizing has actually refocused goals; combining some areas with Argosy University has created a more lively vibe in the halls.
    The faculty and much of the staff have high levels of professionalism and integrity, even with all of the chaos the past few years they still try to give the students a quality expereince.

ConsAs others have mentioned, there have been significant shifts in corporate goals and profit. They send out quarterly reports stating how we've made the company money shortly after laying off staff and facutly. This is definitely a top-down management company with all of us at the bottom trying to do the best for the students with less and less support.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't out source key positions (like all of the student support services). Consider how you can improve employee morale, you've removed all of the little things and tightened the screws, what are you going to give back?

A Living Nightmare

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat views and neighborhood
    Some of the faculty really seem to care about the welfare of the students
    My co-workers...we were all in this together like captives on a slave ship

ConsUnrealistic metrics
    Excessively high turnover
    A negative attitude hangs over the work environment like a fog on Elliott Bay
    Managers play favorites and make no bones about it
    The "leads" are old lists of people who at one time or another made an inquiry. They can be 10 days or 10 years old. You will continue to call the same people and infuriate them.
    Most of the managers do not have a clue. They do not work well with others and are only there to berate people and micromanage them.
    There is no work/life balance. It is all about work.
    At least two nights each week you are required to work until 8pm
    Very few weekends off. There are always Open Houses and other such events to sucker prospects and their families into coming to the campus
    Micromanaging 24/7
    Wins are not celebrated but those who are failing are called out in front of everyone
    Lack of motivation is directly attributable to how people are treated here

Advice to Senior ManagementDo 360 degree reviews and actually take stock in the feedback that you receive
    Develop an actual training program for new hires
    Take care of your people...they are your greatest resource and your turnover is higher than most fast food restaurants
    Tell Goldman Sachs to back off and stop treating this place like a corporate farm

Downsized

Faculty (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosnone sorry I can't think of anything other then my friendship with fellow faculty.

ConsExpensive to park on the waterfront. No support to faculty from leadership, students pay way to much for to little in return. Degrees are not taught by higher degree teachers. Many faculty are part time. Only interested in making as much money from students as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize yourself out of management. You are paid to much and do nothing to earn it.

Worked for The Art Institute of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!