The Art Institutes (HQ)
www.aii.edu Pittsburgh, PA 150 to 499 Employees

The Art Institutes (HQ) Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
The Art Institutes (HQ) – “AI - Santa Monica”

The Art Institutes (HQ) President George Sebolt

George Sebolt

Pros:
  • "Tuition Assistance, Working with Students and Faculty, Flex Time, good pay"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good benefits and compensation, the work is (mind-numbingly) easy"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance is awful, it's very difficult to manage your personal life when you're always at work"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Managers/senior management do/does not know how to lead"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Teachers with no work ethic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) for less than a year

ProsCan pick schedule - hours and days usually

ConsSome teachers just give busy work to students. They have no interest in teaching them what they need to know in their field. Especially in Graphic Design. They grade improperly and jst want work turned in. they don't care about the quality. It's all about numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the same teachers get bad reviews all over the internet do something about it. ALL the students can't be wrong! There's obviously a problem!

sad to see things go horrifically in the wrong direction

Academic Department Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery few these days. It's sad to see how benefits are slowly stripped from faculty.

ConsPoor benefits, little investment on development and training, facilities poorly maintained, no internal communication, antiquated technology and systems

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your people

Awful. Avoid like the plague. Beware!!

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time

ProsThe people I worked with were great (other than management)
Easy work

ConsLack of training, leadership, ethics
High turnover (roughly 75%)
Glorified telemarketing position
Condescending management

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Owned by Goldman Sachs

Instructor (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) part-time for more than a year

ProsCan't think of anything. Was ok before GS bought it.

ConsAll they care about is revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like a real college. Don't pass students that should fail.

Pass on ANY ADA position and value yourself!

Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for more than a year

ProsMeeting and talking with prospective students

ConsKnow that you're "selling" students an education that is too expensive and not necessarily accredited. It's a FOR-PROFIT "college" meaning that it's the admissions office job to recruit and keep up with numbers instead of really helping the students and their families throughout the admissions process. Expect to spend all day on the phone chasing down 'leads' (calling a list of potential students who showed interest either by just clicking a site or calling a 'warm call' line).

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease show more interest in your employees work quality instead of gossiping about other employees. It show favoritism and sets a terrible tone for the type of work environment you are encouraging.
The training process was more of a 'figure it out' game instead of in depth training.
Also, in order for employees to pass certain required tests, it's not acceptable to have them ask for for other employee's to take the test for them while you turn a blind eye and close your office door.
Be mindful of compliance issue.

If you want a job for less than a year..this is the place for you

Miami, FL

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for less than a year

Prosgood benefits, salary starts at $41k a year for Assistant Director of Admissions

ConsTo many to mention! You are a number and a number only!! $$$ Talks!! All they care is enrollments because that means money. THIS IS A SALES JOB !!! Trust me I WORK HERE !! Also the TURN OVER IS HIGH, Out of 26 people in my team only 6 has been there more than a year. The job is simple! YOU ARE A TELEMARKETER!!! You will be on the dam phone all day long, and the rejection is about 98% of all calls you make. The poor students are the victims, The Arts Institutes consist of Degrees and education that anyone can go to YOUTUBE and watch videos and learn for free!!. The cost for a degree...$86K...and when they graduate the salary average will be $12.00 an hour!.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs not the ADA s you replace every year what is the problem, The problem is what you are selling, the price and the target clientele. Your call list is filled with people sick and tired of being called. And Furthermore.... IF YOUR SCHOOL AND EDUCATION IS TOP NOTCH...STUDENTS WILL COME TO YOU, THEY WILL MAKE LINES TO APPLY FOR SCHOOL, BUT WHEN YOU ARE FORCED TO PRACTICALLY COLD CALL TO TRY TO SELL.. ASK YOR SELF IF YOUR PRODUCT IS GOOD.

No Loyalty

Faculty Member (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a job which demands more then they pay for.

ConsYou could be fired for no reason, Dollar is the bottom line, student learning is secondary.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo do something else you greedy bastards. Execs fired 800 full time people while giving themselves 25 mil bonus.

Think again, unless you're a sales career driven individual!

Houston, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits, a good starting pay

ConsI had no idea that this was a sales position; had I known, I would have never applied or taken the position. The work/life balance is awful, it's very difficult to manage your personal life when you're always at work. You will work late (6pm - 8pm) and Saturdays (6 days a week). High stress and redundant work, as the work is simple but your work days consist of calling people who are or were once upon a time interested in the school. You will have to meet enrollment goals. High micro-management! Our team meets at least once a week for a one on one meeting with a manger and two regular meets to see where our sales goals are. The company is on a budget, there is no room for promotion or salary increases, fyi. No overtime. High turnover. You'll work holidays and it's very hard to use the nice amount of PTO given to you by the company because of the blackout dates. If you enjoy sales, you may like it. If not, run!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about the nature of this position. My entire training group had no idea that this was a sales job. Work on allowing your employees to have time away from the job. Working six days a week is not okay, It's extremely tiring.

For profit school owned by a big corporation; good, talented local people controlled by big level execs.

Full Time Faculty (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMy fellow teachers were, for the most part, talented and knowledgeable and really sincere about wanting to help students succeed, as were the Department Chairs and Dean. The support staff were helpful and knowledgeable. While they didn't have very high admissions standards for students, MOST students were dedicated and interested, really wanted to be there, and wanted to work hard. The facilities were OK but not as good as our competitors.

ConsGoogle "Art Institutes" to see negative. Very low admissions standards. Some students should not have graduated high school. A few teachers had never worked in the field in which they were teaching, or simply couldn't draw their way out of a bag. We were also dictated to by the owner corporation re: textbooks and curriculum changes, with very little say-so in what we thought the students needed. No raises for several years, followed by ridiculously large massive layoffs that were not thought through. Lots of VERY highly qualified faculty were let go and some of the bad ones stayed just because they'd been there longer. The good, dedicated students will be the ones most hurt by the layoffs.(Well, of course, other than the teachers who are now out of jobs...)

Advice to Senior ManagementHow much space do I have? Admissions portfolios!!! Higher GPA requirements! Give us teachers something we can work with, and your placement percentages will go up, and you will make money and you won't need to slash and burn like you're doing right now.

Look at companies like Toyota for how to run a business. Put out a god product, stop cutting corners, and the money will come. Start genuinely caring about educating people instead of just grubbing for money. Stop thinking of art and cooking as toss-off industries that any idiot can master; it's insulting to your teachers. Stop giving out massive loans to people who don't understand what they're getting into.

More flexibility for faculty re: curriculum and textbooks. Give us back a budget for bringing in guest speakers from our field. Give us some decent facilities like our competitor schools. We know what we're doing; let us do our job and YOUR school will regain its good reputation and succeed! (Although I'm not sure your reputation is salvageable at this point...) Your teachers are the heart of your school and you just shot yourself in the heart.

Terrible company to work for, doesn't value employees or students

High School Representative (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time for more than a year

ProsThe concept of the schools were good back in the day before they were purchased by Goldman and sacs. Now they are running after quantity not quality it's very sad indeed and it's ruining lives. The instructors for the most part care a great deal for their students futures.

ConsConstantly making promises they don't intend to keep. Taking away all hopes of moving up in the company. They want high turn over because it's cheap and easy to find new employees even if they have no experience whatsoever.

Worked for The Art Institutes (HQ)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Art Institutes (HQ) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Art Institutes (HQ) CEO George Sebolt. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by The Art Institutes (HQ) employees.