The Art Institutes (HQ) Reviews

George Sebolt

1. Great Commitment to Teaching Students in the Profession of Design

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great deal of schedule flexibility and meaningful department teaching collaboration. Department management is very keen to growing the program and recruiting a quality teaching team.

Cons

They need a better internal computer system for teaching management. Very difficult to manage and access. Wireless system is lacking.

Glad that's over

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The admissions staff is great and the staff in general is very friendly and approachable. You get to work with a lot of nice people who are, in most cases, genuinely interested in helping students. Some students are truly gifted/ talented. The Houston campus is very nice in terms of the equipment and resources offered to students.

Cons

Too many to list here. This is a for-profit college, which means that nothing is considered useful unless it directly correlates with money. Everything and everyone that's not absolutely essential has been cut.

No overtime pay for Saturdays worked. The "expectation" is that you leave early the next Tuesday so that your hours never exceed 40. And you will work 2-3 Saturdays every month. Along with 2-3 nights that you're in the office until 7 or 8 every week.

No one thinks you're working unless the work is quantifiable. Emails don't count. Office work doesn't count. The only thing that counts is how many phone calls, interviews, applications, and starts you had for a given amount of time. Then do it all over again tomorrow because what you did today won't count anymore.

High turnover. No genuine concern for the staff or the students. Lots of fake enthusiasm. Students are almost forced to start during whenever the next start is, even if the classes already started. Wanna drop and add/drop already passed? Sorry. You now owe the school money. Even if you were only in class once or twice.

Some students are very creative and maybe should be in an arts school. Many students "think" they're creative, but are really just lost and/or lazy. You get to call and harass all off them all day long.

Not really much opportunity for advancement at the campus level.

There isn't much integrity left, there's definitely no respect, and it's probably going to keep getting worse.

Advice? Management doesn't care to make any realistic changes. But if anything, I'd say -- stop hiring outside consultants that convince you that your people are ineffective, and instead build rapport. Have high standards for the school/ students and the results will follow. Lastly, people will go to the moon and back for you if they trust, respect, and like you.

Think again, unless you're a sales career driven individual!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, a good starting pay

Cons

I had no idea that this was a sales position; had I known, I would have never applied or taken the position. The work/life balance is awful, it's very difficult to manage your personal life when you're always at work. You will work late (6pm - 8pm) and Saturdays (6 days a week). High stress and redundant work, as the work is simple but your work days consist of calling people who are or were once upon a time interested in the school. You will have to meet enrollment goals. High micro-management! Our team meets at least once a week for a one on one meeting with a manger and two regular meets to see where our sales goals are. The company is on a budget, there is no room for promotion or salary increases, fyi. No overtime. High turnover. You'll work holidays and it's very hard to use the nice amount of PTO given to you by the company because of the blackout dates. If you enjoy sales, you may like it. If not, run!!!

Be honest about the nature of this position. My entire training group had no idea that this was a sales job. Work on allowing your employees to have time away from the job. Working six days a week is not okay, It's extremely tiring.

Micromanaging group of profit-seeking managers make your experience miserable

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ)

Pros

The pay is decent. The benefits and paid time off are good. The work is really simple. You do the same thing over and over again with little to no variation. Good opps for overtime pay.

Cons

40 Assisant Directors in the Houston branch, and in one calendar year, 30 quit or were fired. They micromanage you by the minute. If you cannot figure out how to break their system of profit-seeking enrollment methods, you will be miserable. I was fortunate to be very good at the work, so I was left alone. Others I worked with left every day emotionally broken down. The hours are terrible (late evenings, Saturdays). Again, 28 people quit or were fired out of the 40 ADAs at AIH. I know you may be desperate for work (like I was), but save yourself the headache and work elsewhere for a few months and wait for something better. People that had been there for more than a few years ended up in the hospital due to work-related stress.

The Art Institutes (HQ) Photos