The Art Institutes (HQ)

Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

The Art Institutes (HQ) President George Sebolt
George Sebolt

Pros
  • Working with students who all have a similar and positive life goal (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits and compensation, the work is (mind-numbingly) easy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management, lack of work life balance, lack of communication from executives, and poor management (in 5 reviews)

• High targets & high turnover, change in management style, no job security (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away- all the wrong people are in control.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

By the time I left - not much.

Cons

The worst thing to witness by far is the wasted potential. I watched over the years as the standards for admission dwindled away, funds were cut, and executive micro managing became the norm.

Stop putting profits before quality.

One of the worst places to work, in my entire working career.

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions EDMC ONLINE HIGHER ED in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many! feel sorry for new hires at the Cotton Center location in Phoenix Arizona. Pros new hires continue to look for other employment, use what ever position you get at the Art Institutes of Pittsburgh Online for a pay-check,

Cons

New hires don't know what they are in for, they will find out soon enough. low morale, leadership uses bullying techniques. Managers especially those in Finance and Admissions treat team members that are not the favorites like dirt! Plus there are those in leadership positions that don't know their jobs Directors and Managers. Plus they use their power like they are ruling over their own personal kingdom. If you are a person of color forget about ever being seriously considered for a leadership position! Beware EDMC stock is less that $2 a share that speaks volumes. Everyone who leaves on their own or are let go have a better quality of life because they are away from the negative and evil energy that permeates that environment!

You will reap what you sow!

Don't Do It

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced sales environment. working with kids.

Cons

their graduation rates are crap, they promise kids a future in low paying careers, and there are no requirements for admission. In admissions they con you the same way they con the students, but you don't actually make a good or positive impact on people's lives.

pay more and be ethically sound

Liked the school

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Durham, NC

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very helpful staff. Solid technology in the classroom (worked at the Durham, NC location). They had solid security throughout the site. Overall a enjoyable place to work. Was there for 3 months.

Cons

It would have been better is there was more curriculum for the course I taught. They left it up to each teacher to sculpt their own materials if they wanted. I thought it would be better to have a set curriculum, but that was not the case.

Squeezing every last drop

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) part-time

Pros

Satisfaction of occasionally helping a student grow.

Cons

They keep demanding more from you, but don't pay you any extra. I'm hourly, not salary... and they demand more hours, but they don't increase my pay... they require me to take all sorts of online classes regarding their policies, but don't compensate me for that either.

expect to get what you pay for

A great out-of-college job.

Current Employee - High School Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - High School Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Use a variety of degrees
    PTO
    Leadership development program

Cons

Longer hours during the fall

Keep doing a great job

You get out of it what you put into it

Former Employee - Time Management Tutor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Time Management Tutor in Portland, OR

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Going to school at AI is great for getting an education on the equipment and for making business connections.

Cons

I saw a lot of fellow classmates graduate saying "I don't feel like I really learned anything." We took several of the same classes, and I felt like I learned a lot, but I supplemented my AI education with outside learning from mentors and internships. Having an open education is good for those who have their own self-discipline and hard for anyone who thinks they're magically going to leave with all the skills they need.

Pay your teachers more.

Glad that's over

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Houston, TX

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The admissions staff is great and the staff in general is very friendly and approachable. You get to work with a lot of nice people who are, in most cases, genuinely interested in helping students. Some students are truly gifted/ talented. The Houston campus is very nice in terms of the equipment and resources offered to students.

Cons

Too many to list here. This is a for-profit college, which means that nothing is considered useful unless it directly correlates with money. Everything and everyone that's not absolutely essential has been cut.

No overtime pay for Saturdays worked. The "expectation" is that you leave early the next Tuesday so that your hours never exceed 40. And you will work 2-3 Saturdays every month. Along with 2-3 nights that you're in the office until 7 or 8 every week.

No one thinks you're working unless the work is quantifiable. Emails don't count. Office work doesn't count. The only thing that counts is how many phone calls, interviews, applications, and starts you had for a given amount of time. Then do it all over again tomorrow because what you did today won't count anymore.

High turnover. No genuine concern for the staff or the students. Lots of fake enthusiasm. Students are almost forced to start during whenever the next start is, even if the classes already started. Wanna drop and add/drop already passed? Sorry. You now owe the school money. Even if you were only in class once or twice.

Some students are very creative and maybe should be in an arts school. Many students "think" they're creative, but are really just lost and/or lazy. You get to call and harass all off them all day long.

Not really much opportunity for advancement at the campus level.

There isn't much integrity left, there's definitely no respect, and it's probably going to keep getting worse.

Advice? Management doesn't care to make any realistic changes. But if anything, I'd say -- stop hiring outside consultants that convince you that your people are ineffective, and instead build rapport. Have high standards for the school/ students and the results will follow. Lastly, people will go to the moon and back for you if they trust, respect, and like you.

Would give 0 Stars if possible

I have been working at The Art Institutes (HQ)

Pros

None-- everyone has own agenda that does not serve students.

Cons

Going to work everyday-- working in unethical environment.

Assistant

I worked at The Art Institutes (HQ)

Pros

The students are amazing and talented which adds to the perks of working there and the salary is great if this is your passion to teach or assist in teaching.

Cons

Taking on other titles but I guess that comes with any school

The Art Institutes (HQ) Photos