The Art of Shaving

Major communication opportunities

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Art of Shaving for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is above average compared to other retailers (Especially for non-management associates). Product quality is above average and clients are most important and treated as so. Inventory levels are consistent, and no late night floor-sets.......

Cons

Channels for proper communication is terrible! No respect for the role and responsibilities of the Store Manager from upper management. Store Managers are not allowed to be "shop leaders" due to the level of micro - managing that comes from both the DM and RM when it involves hiring, scheduling, coaching and corrective counseling.
    It is way too long of a process to get anyone hired on and even when someone is hired, training can be a joke since coverage is minimal and the Store Manager is trying to balance both personal sales and insuring the new hire is receiving proper training.

Start: Practice what you preach.
               Be more open minded and listen to what employees in the field are asking for and / or saying.
    Stop: Blaming others for your bad decisions.
               Not taking the competition more seriously. (They will beat us if we do not provide more options)
    Continue: To provide the true 4 Elements

Good Company, I was in a poor location

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for retail, product is high quality, benefits were reasonable

Cons

They did absolutely nothing we asked for us to have a shot at saving our location. Absolutely no communication from upper management to store level employees. Over saturation of product in competing stores.

Let store level employees know what you need, and put a bigger emphasis on store exclusives. At current state store fronts without barbers are basically staffed advertisements for the online store.

Horrible management, and horrible at communication.

Former Employee - Key Holder  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Boise, ID

I worked at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than a year

Pros

They give you great pay for a horrible job.

Cons

Monthly goals are so high there is no way you can meet them. Management only cares about them self and blamed red months on the employees. Also the communication between the associates, store manager, and district manager was horrible.

Get a new management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lame

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The Art of Shaving part-time for less than a year

Pros

The stores look nice and you get to know other employees in the mall.

Cons

The commissions are a joke, No vacation time off, Pretentious vibe, Super boring just standing around, and high turnover.

Quit! You don't know what you are doing.

TAOS Could Be Great, Leadership Driving The Business Off A Cliff

Current Employee - Front Line Store Operations
    Current Employee - Front Line Store Operations

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unbelievable pay for front-line retail work. Product line, tools and accessories are easy to believe in for their high performance value for the consumer. Good looking stores with a masculine atmosphere make you feel right at home!

Cons

Sales goals are NOT allocated in a balanced or fair manner to the stores across any District or Region which leads to a de-moralized sales force in several stores. Several good metrics are measured and recorded that provide a good view but management and TAOS administration limit their own view to just one metric and don't hesitate to use that as a weapon for punitive purposes. There is talk among several store managers that middle-management is working to create an uncomfortable environment for people in "under-performing" stores in order to replace the sales force with new people at a lower wage.

Go read-up on what the P&G CEO announced to investors last Friday, August 01, 2014. Consider how you've been managing the people and the company and ask yourself if this strategy of yours has worked in the last 3 years. It has not. Do you want to see TAOS on the chopping block 12 to 24 months from now? If not, then start with re-organizing yourselves from the Executive position on down to District Management. Bring in some outside consultants to study TAOS and to help you remove the "blinders". Maybe we can be saved before it's too late.

Great for a few years, things have really changed lately

I worked at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for retail and retail management. High quality product so it is easier to sell than something you don't believe in. Great company history and brand identity.

Cons

Unispiring and often inexperienced upper management (DMs, RMs, etc.) as well as too much nepotism going on at corporate level. Product is on the pricey side so it takes a lot of energy to sell to new customers. Unrealistic sales goals set by (surprise, surprise!) the people at corporate who got their jobs for the wrong reasons.

Start valuing the talent you have in front of you rather than pushing them away with huge, unrealistic goals every month. No one likes a bonus structure that never allows you to bonus! You have lost some very talented Shaving Consultants, Store Managers, and Barbers due to the lack of understanding of the real issues at hand. Also, remember at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much a person loves their job and company if their boss (district or regional manager) is awful.

message for upper management

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time

Pros

I love the store teams. Family oriented, good quality of life(if your not stressed), good pay, good trainng program.

Cons

Upper management needs to do their research. We need to make certain sales goals but we have horrible marketing, we are over saturated, and there is much more competition within men's grooming than there was a couple of years ago. They don't offer competitive prices or offer to price match. Most stores are located in a mall near anchor department stores. Most of the department stores sell the same product we do for less. We are also in Sephora and available EVERYWHERE on line for less. In my eyes we can no longer be called a luxury brand because we are so over saturated. Our competition is slowly beating us because I do not believe this company understands the customer. Get it together and this would be a great place to work.

Everything I just stated in "Cons" Eric and Myriam we miss you.

Everything that has a begining, has and end

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Shaving Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is great for the job that you're doing. Training is extensive, almost too extensive.

Cons

Upper management (DM and Regional) set unrealistic goals and despite advancement, if goals are not met the team suffers.

Bad DM and RM and Store Manager

Current Employee - Shaving Consultant
    Current Employee - Shaving Consultant

I have been working at The Art of Shaving full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are great to work with; decent pay; stores are nice; fun to meet new people all the time, as in the customers.

Cons

Bad DM and regional manager. Couldn't care less about the employees in the store only communicates with the store manager who is not trustworthy and only out for herself. No fairness, say they hire from within but do not, say they hire those with upscale store experience they do not, they drag them in from anywhere in the malls. Goals are ridiculous and unfair.

Clean house. Hire truly experienced people with luxury store backgrounds and not flakes from any old store in the mall. Hire decent people as DM and RM who could be role models to store employees.

Monthly Plans

I worked at The Art of Shaving

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance and pay

Cons

Opportunities for advancement don't exist. Sales plans are very high . Home office is very disorganized. Quick and unfair documentation policies.

Worked for The Art of Shaving? Contribute to the Community!