The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Amy Glennon

Pros
  • Great benefits and fellow employees became good friends (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits package, lenient time off (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management no longer cares about the print subscription and circulation (in 4 reviews)

• Very minimal career advancement opportunities (in 3 reviews)

1. None at this time

Former Employee - Publishing Operations Technician in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Publishing Operations Technician in Douglasville, GA

I worked at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the pros would be the on the job experience, and training I was able to obtain during my 23 plus years at the AJC. I also had the opportunity to meet some wonder individuals during my time there.

Cons

None that I wish to speak of.

2. Not a good company

Former Employee - Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are decent.

Cons

Amazon.com-like management style, little opportunity for growth, increasing workload as more run for the exit signs.

Advice to Management

Resign and let honest, empathetic leaders take the helm.

3. Easy but demanding

Pros

Very easy money, contract position so no taxes are deducted, independent contract work.

Cons

Time consuming even tho its part time. No days off. No benefits.

5. Operations Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved my job! I loved working with the Advertising Sales reps & the Editorial department to ensure paid ads were placed correctly and that space was allocated for news content. It was hectic, deadline driven and extremely rewarding to see the final product thru to completion.

Cons

The nature of the business required a lot of advanced planning for special events and holidays; sometimes by the time the actual event became current you could feel over-saturated by it.

Advice to Management

Local is good for the community & the business.

Mediocre employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health care and benefits package. With OK pay. Historically, the newspaper industry had some respect and dedicated customers. Now AJC, is a dying business with low-morale employees and incompetent, micro-managing, stagnant leadership resistant to innovation and treating employees well,

Cons

AJC, is a dying business with low-morale employees and incompetent, micro-managing, stagnant leadership resistant to innovation and treating employees well. Mentoring is a foreign concept to some managers, employees ruled by threats of write ups, and disciplinary actions.

Advice to Management

Clean house.

Disconnected

Former Employee - Marketing/Advertising in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Advertising in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance, experience. If you can find the right people to know there it helps in terms of day-to-day enjoyment - if you want to have positive experiences, find the positive people there. There was a cafe downstairs that served fresh breakfast and lunches. There are some private, comfortable rooms for mothers to pump.

Cons

What used to be a fairly positive atmosphere - even under pressure and deadlines - turned into a soul-sucking grind. Many of the changes made by the higher ups were completely disconnected to what was right for certain departments (people and product). Some of the people who have been working there a long time are fantastic - they work hard and they care about what they do. They deserve better, but are too scared to ask for it. "I should just be grateful to have a job" and "I just don't care anymore" is heard a lot there. Some benefits/leave policies were confusing (where even different HR people would give different answers to the same questions)

Advice to Management

There is no "one size fits all" in terms of department needs and culture, listen to your employees. Well, first *earn* their trust. Many are overworked and unhappy. There is such disconnect (or worse, complete indifference) for the state of unhappiness and stress in the employees. They are afraid to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. There is no trust - there has been too much lip service from upper management offering words of "I value your input" but actions of "Nah, we'll do what we want to do for the bottom line.".

8. Really liked

Pros

Flexible hours and the company works with you

Cons

Wear and tear on your vehicle.

Hectic

Pros

Money compensation helping others

Cons

Management sucked time work shifts

Advice to Management

Quit because you are not cut out for it

Office Space Culture, it's just a pay check

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Working for Cox - Access to the gym, good benefits(so they say, I didn't see it) Senior Leadership Pension & 401 - However no 401 match or pension till after a year iPad, great resources for sales leads(Business Wise)

Cons

Hours - strict, 8:30-5:30, no exceptions, even Fridays, days before holiday. Being 5 minutes late consistently means getting written up No casual Friday for sales Low wall cubicles, no privacy Sales only gets commission if you hit 100% of monthly quota, no partial credit Unrealistic quota, not based on renewals. Unrealistic activity bonus Ground up - cold calling, ground and pound style of sales 32 cents mileage reimbursement, well below IRS Being successful in sales means working 10 hour days since not enough support, poor work life balance Newspaper industry has bleak future. Yes AJC is digital, but receiving news even digitally is trending away from newspaper companies Very tough sell Cox company, but feels very separated. Little to no interaction with anything Cox Once in sales, basically stuck in sales

Advice to Management

Allow work from home Allow flex time Allow casual Friday Base quota on growth of book of business, not # based on last month

bad company to work for

I worked at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution full-time

Pros

Good benefits offered by Cox, the parent company Nothing else

Cons

Higher management has zero vision Extremely bureaucratic Below-average pay Nobody cares about the development of individuals

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Achieving your goals is crucial but making your hard-working employees feel like their efforts are recognized is just as important. Else, you will lose your young talent and the already dying newspaper business will die a lot faster.

RSS Feed </> Embed