The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014

The Babcock & Wilcox Company President & CEO E. James Ferland
E. James Ferland

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off (in 26 reviews)

• 9/80 work week: work 9 hrs/day Mon-Thurs & 8 hrs/day every other Friday, get every other Friday off (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • B&W has gotten progressively worse in the last five years but has so much potential to be better than it ever has (in 5 reviews)

• Recent management upheavals and no work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Change is imminent

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Pros

9/80 schedule is a big plus. Large majority of people are friendly and fun to work with. There are opportunities for advancement. And lots of opportunities to move within the company to keep from getting bored. No one else in the world builds what we build. And what we build is cool, complex and big. Pay is adequate.

Cons

Upper management fails to recognize that the most important asset is it's people. Mandatory overtime and extra Backshift coverages have increased the burden and workload. This is tolerable to a point but an end date was promised and four months later there is no clear path forward. Management will soon realize that pushing people too hard can have good short term results but will have much more significant long term consequences. Retirement of the general manager is coming up next spring. Hopefully this will help to change the old school mentality of working people into the ground. B&W has gotten progressively worse in the last five years but has so much potential to be better than it ever has.

The job security is unbeatable. Contracted work for years to come. Dealing with the union shop can be frustrating but you get used to it.

Dear management, your people come first not the dollar signs. Listen to what people below you have to say and keep your promises. We will work harder for you if you inspire us. Instead you rely on brute force that has and will push people away from this place. The demographics show such a large number of young employees, yet you manage them like they have been there for 20 years and are just sticking around for the pension. They have no pension. They will eventually leave if there's no good reason to stay. Drive decision making downward. Get your heads out of the details and focus on larger big picture tasks rather than the day to day items. That's what people below you are for.

Great people, great products, tough market.

Current Employee - Undefined in Barberton, OH
    Current Employee - Undefined in Barberton, OH

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

9/80 work week: work 9 hrs/day Mon-Thurs & 8 hrs/day every other Friday, get every other Friday off.

Cons

Raises and bonuses are small due to shrinking market and greater competition.

Broaden your product offering and look for new markets outside of traditional US power companies.

field employees

Current Employee - Filed Office Manager
    Current Employee - Filed Office Manager

Pros

lots of freedom in you position. Get to see lots of the country. if you love living out of a suitcase and never seeing your family this is the place fot you

Cons

leadership has lost touch with who actually make he money for this company and is constantly trying to cut cost by cutting perks to their field employees. Life on the road is not as great as it seems, a hotels room seems like a jail cell after a few months of living in it.

Remember who is in he trenches getting the hard work done and making money. don't try to cut us to the bone and expect us to stay.

Solid Company

Pros

The company has been good to me for many years. Very much like the 9/80 work schedule

Cons

If you can't handle change this may not be the place for you

EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are great opportunities through this site

Cons

So many applicants applying for jobs this day and age.

Seems I've been here too long.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

9/80 work week is great benefit. Good retirement if you have been here forever.

Cons

Bad retirement if your new. No benefits for retirees except your retirement. Management is poor. Never know what is going on. No direction from top management. Everything is about the bottom line. Was once a great company but like many I think it's best years are behind us. Employees want to make this place go but top management must have other ideas.

Let people know what is going on. Share your plans if you have any. Riffing people and telling the ones that are left to work harder is not a plan. Moral is very low everywhere and there is a great mistrust of top management.

Says one thing but does another

Current Employee - Anonymous in Barberton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Barberton, OH

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well the 9/80 schedule WAS nice until they started mandatory overtime to support the shop.

Cons

No work life balance! Mandatory OT is for only salary people and the union workers can work a normal schedule with optional OT. IT is nice for them since they can come in and make a ton more money than degreed people, sit around texting, reading and sleeping with no consequences because supervisors want to be their buddy and do not discipline. When you try to let someone know you have a life and priorities outside of work they simply say change your priorities. Upper management could care less about the terrible morale here, people are leaving left and rigt. If you are an engineer, stay away from here! You will NOT be doing the work of an engineer and there is little to NO advancement. HR and LR are a joke here! They won't say BOO to the union so they get away with everything. They pay below area industry standards. Everyone is miserable and I for one am hoping to get laid off. You are expected to work weekends and your day off and not complain, if you do all they say is "there's the door". At this point I would rather go to work for Walmart!!

Stop thinking about the bottom line! This is a company with NO debt, you need to give more promotions, raises and get rid of people who are not doing their job and making the rest of us work the OT. You are missing ship dates because hourly people are not doing their jobs and supervisors do not do theirs. This company is a joke and you should be ashamed that this place is getting such bad reviews. Where is the work/life balance?! When and IF this company splits I hope you all get the axe!!

Co workers were friendly but management lacked true vision and financial controls

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was very good

Cons

Poor training for new employees
    Employee moral was very low
    Lots of department turnover

Consider implementing actual policies which the company adheres to and listen to the controllers who are actually attempting to control costs and manage a project so that it can be successful. Set realistic budgets and take one major projects which the company can actually finance and deliver on to its clients and market.

Bad management running a grand old company into the ground

Current Employee - Professional
    Current Employee - Professional

Pros

I have 30+ years in my field and 10+ years with this facility, which was previously part of another large company but acquired by B&W a few years ago. Great management & staff at my facility - dedicated, strong work ethic, team- and safety-oriented. 9/80 schedule option is a draw for many. In our division, a standard week off (shutdown) around Christmas is nice, though you pay for it with only 5 holidays during the year.

Cons

The description of my facility above is NOT an example of the company as a whole - in a nutshell, the company as a whole is headed down the toilet. Salaries for most professional staff are well below industry norms for the area and seniority - my own salary is about $30K/yr below area averages for my field and experience - and the company plays on the poor economy/job market to keep salaries low. Top management suffers from a lack of understanding of the businesses they run, fails to recognize and adjust to industry trends/events in a timely manner, and like far too many businesses today is hopelessly buried in the shareholder-centric rather than stakeholder-centric, "nothing's more important than the quarterly numbers" management ethos. The "RIF some to scare the rest into working harder" mentality has exceeded its point of diminishing returns and has discarded way too much critical domain knowledge and customer good will. (Now they're looking at splitting up the divisions to separate companies to make it easier to jettison the under-performing parts.) This sort of mentality extends to the company's political involvement, which is entirely right-wing Koch Brothers-type efforts including right-wing propaganda delivered to employees under the company logo - regardless of your own political leanings, this sort of overt political pressure on employees is despicable.

The benefits are mediocre at best, especially the health insurance, which in an effort to hold down costs has become a complete joke - huge deductibles and out-of-pocket limits, stupid drug program rules that discourage personal relationships with your pharmacist of choice in favor of mail-order drugstores, no coverage at all for common things like PME/DME supplies (CPAP mask seals, catheters, etc.) - for 2015 they're even going away from national BlueCrossBlueShield carriers to no-name regional carriers affiliated with specific local hospitals in the cities where they have big operations, which leaves those not in those cities and those with covered children in other states unsure of whether they'll even be able to keep seeing their doctor or will have to travel hours/days to some other town/state for medical care. (I'm carefully investigating whether to abandon the company insurance for Obamacare - which may well be management's end goal anyway.)

Jettison Jim Ferland and his cronies in the C-suite. Get back to stakeholder-centric management ethos, and work to keep your industry-specific domain knowledge and experience rather than RIFfing it on the whims of quarterly numbers. Stop treating your most important resource - the employees - like cattle.

"A great company that is quickly dying"

I worked at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

9/80 Work week. Some of the benefits are good depending on what you select.

Cons

Everyday people are leaving. The atmosphere is depressing to say the least and nobody cares. Employees are kept in the dark. Work, work,work......is the bottom line.

Value your employees.