The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015

The Babcock & Wilcox Company President & CEO E. James Ferland
E. James Ferland

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off (in 26 reviews)

• 9/80 work week: work 9 hrs/day Mon-Thurs & 8 hrs/day every other Friday, get every other Friday off (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • B&W has gotten progressively worse in the last five years but has so much potential to be better than it ever has (in 5 reviews)

• Recent management upheavals and no work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great local company that provides excellent service to it's customers and community

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Pros

The staff is comprised of very friendly, down to earth, and caring people that typically went above and beyond
    on what was needed on each job and service they provided. It was a pleasure to work there each and every day.

Cons

Parent company was sometimes difficult to work with because of policies required to manage a large portion of their other business units, and not flexible to allow "thinking/working outside the box" for the independent business units.

Competitive salary

Current Employee - Engineer I in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Pros

pays well, secure future, interesting product lines, strong quality program, strong future

Cons

slow advancement, slow movement, lots of road blocks, management team is very tight and if you aren't in you don't advance.

improve promotion structure to be inline with competitors

Used to be a pretty good place to work

I worked at The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Pros

9/80 work week available, flex time available, insurance was average.

Cons

Restructuring was not well thought out. Eliminated long time employees replaced by contractors with no benefits. Little communication or direction.

Too many layers of management, but no one really seems to be leading. Your employees are your best asset, treat them well, they are much more than just "overhead"

Why do you not, use the people and skills you have?

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with all the different trades on a job. The true meaning of team is brought up many times. When one portion of the job fails, the whole team fails.

Cons

I have found that management does not use people to there fullest potential. For instance I have my Bachelor of Business Management, Schedule License, PML- Project Management Lean certificate, along with 24 years service in the nuclear world. If I was management I would be using me in my field of expertise.

Some times you have to push back from your desk and see who you have working with you. Use these resources to your benefit, to add to your success. My pay has not been disscussed

"Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Panhandle, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Panhandle, TX

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good working environment for people that are looking for a job to retire in.

Cons

Pay isn't that great if you are a exempt status personnel

Treat your employees better and stop trying to be sneaky with promotions. We as employees see everything. Its a bad reputation to have.

Been a successful employee there for 3 years with 3 promotions.

I worked at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growth, great team, great CEO, and great location

Cons

Budget Layoff, poor communication, poor management

Better Budget Management and communication

Think hard before you join.

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Job Security
    - 9/80 workweek
    - Great people

Cons

- Management focused on activist investors and the bottom line
    - Not much room for innovative, young staff

Leadership, please get back in touch with the company and your people. As a younger (under 35) employee, I'm enjoying the opportunity that I have now, but constantly have my eyes open for my next step. I don't see a future for myself here, especially having watched the company organize and reorganize (read: lay offs) every six months or so.

Once industry leader chasing the market

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Barberton, OH
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Barberton, OH

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The 9/80 work week provides for every other Friday off.

It is a great place to learn about steam generation and power plant operations.

Many knowledgeable people that are willing to share their experiences.

Being in the field let one see many different plants and gain a lot of experience. The only draw back is you live out of a suitcase.

Cons

The impending loss of centuries of knowledge has not been well planned. Knowledge retention and transfer was never a priority, it was more important to have absorbed man hours in the here and now instead of planning for the maintain knowledge for the future.

Communication of strategic direction is almost non-existence.

Very little opportunity to move up in the company. People with solid technical knowledge are kept in those positions even when they want to move to management because it is difficult to replace technical skill sets.

Inconsistent and ever changing performance evaluation programs make it hard to assess one's performance year to year. It seems as though the company wants everyone to be average.

It seems as though the company is riding on the greatness of the past.

The culture is still based on when people's lives revolved around work. That is not the case anymore and the company has difficulties accepting that.

Your people know more about customers, markets and strategy than you think, talk to them. Respect the employees and do not run them into the ground. Yes it is important to keep the shareholders in consideration but ultimately it is the customers that provide the company with work. The relations employees build with the customers over time is critical in continuing to win contracts. Develop your people and the business will follow; this is not the 60's and those management styles do not work.

Change is imminent

I have been working at The Babcock & Wilcox Company

Pros

9/80 schedule is a big plus. Large majority of people are friendly and fun to work with. There are opportunities for advancement. And lots of opportunities to move within the company to keep from getting bored. No one else in the world builds what we build. And what we build is cool, complex and big. Pay is adequate.

Cons

Upper management fails to recognize that the most important asset is it's people. Mandatory overtime and extra Backshift coverages have increased the burden and workload. This is tolerable to a point but an end date was promised and four months later there is no clear path forward. Management will soon realize that pushing people too hard can have good short term results but will have much more significant long term consequences. Retirement of the general manager is coming up next spring. Hopefully this will help to change the old school mentality of working people into the ground. B&W has gotten progressively worse in the last five years but has so much potential to be better than it ever has.

The job security is unbeatable. Contracted work for years to come. Dealing with the union shop can be frustrating but you get used to it.

Dear management, your people come first not the dollar signs. Listen to what people below you have to say and keep your promises. We will work harder for you if you inspire us. Instead you rely on brute force that has and will push people away from this place. The demographics show such a large number of young employees, yet you manage them like they have been there for 20 years and are just sticking around for the pension. They have no pension. They will eventually leave if there's no good reason to stay. Drive decision making downward. Get your heads out of the details and focus on larger big picture tasks rather than the day to day items. That's what people below you are for.

Great people, great products, tough market.

Current Employee - Undefined in Barberton, OH
    Current Employee - Undefined in Barberton, OH

Pros

9/80 work week: work 9 hrs/day Mon-Thurs & 8 hrs/day every other Friday, get every other Friday off.

Cons

Raises and bonuses are small due to shrinking market and greater competition.

Broaden your product offering and look for new markets outside of traditional US power companies.

The Babcock & Wilcox Company Photos