The Bair Foundation Reviews

Reset
2.0
Dr. Susan J. Miklos

1. Full Time Employee

I have been working at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing children, families, coworkers and leadership! Yes, the expectations are high- it reflects the quality of the agency. We are held to a high standard in our compliance which lets everyone know how seriously we take child safety. We credit our hard work through great documentation. I have worked in other child welfare agencies and NOONE surpasses Bair. The resources at our fingertips are great. We have electronic medical records, use evidence based treatment models and are COA accredited. Very proud to have worked here for 4 years. Our office has very little turnover of staff and when we do it is typically because of staff promotions. We have employees who have been in the office for 15+ yrs. Leadership is always willing to step in and help... Even if it means the director or state director are out helping place children in safe homes in the middle of the night or attending church presentations/community events to find more great safe families for the children. You can tell that at all levels.... It is all about the children! It's a true team approach to fulfilling the mission!

Cons

The work hours are long and sometimes you feel burnt out, but we are able to talk with our supervisors and process the secondary trauma and burn out. They get it and help hear is through. They let us brainstorm and provide flexibility to help the burnout.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Consider a forms revision to condense work. Caseload sizes need examined. Thanks for all you do to make sure the counties know our quality is high. It is because of the high expectations that counties choose our families!

2. Casemanager

Pros

Truly great feeling of helping kids.

Cons

Low pay for difficult work

3. Honest feedback

Former Employee - Social Service Worker in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Social Service Worker in Asheville, NC

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The foster parents I had the pleasure to serve were wonderful. The direct care staff social service workers, recruiters, kinship, administrative were amazing, dedicated individuals who were committed to healing the lives of children.

Cons

In all the years working with therapeutic foster care, I had never experienced such a lack of support from upper management for staff. Work loads are unrealistic and the redundancy in paperwork makes the job very difficult to do. There continues to be huge turnover and staff are blamed or made to feel inadequate if they can't keep up with the requirements, for placement discharges, and issues with foster parents. It takes more than praying and saying you are a Christian agency to be one. The treatment of employees in my experience in Asheville was an example of this. I am not a bitter employee. I left the Bair Foundation to move. I made the decision to write this review now because I have read other reviews and also the agency's feedback and it is not accurate. There are issues that need to be addressed in this agency for the sake of the foster parents and the children they are trying to help.

Advice to Management

Foster parents can not effectively work with children when the turnover is so high in staff. One of the foster parents I had had over 10 social service workers within ten years. The employees have a passion to do a job which is emotionally taxing, when they are supported by supervisors and management and treated with respect. Treating staff with no respect for their own families or their well-being and calling it a "ministry" is not right. I pray that this feedback will be helpful.

Social Services Director

Former Employee - Director of SOcial Services Asheville in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Director of SOcial Services Asheville in Asheville, NC

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff are very committed dedicated and hard working. The foster families are also very committed

Cons

In attempt to meet regulations and implement a Model of Care, The Bair Foundation has created forms upon forms with timelines for implementation. The social workers at Bair spend most of their time attempting to complete these forms which are redundant and often not relevant to individual needs of the clients placed. The same is true for the requirements related to foster families ; most training becomes meaningless as it happens year after year and families are only there to meet a Bair foundation requirement. Everyone at Bair then chases their tail attempting to meet often way more than is needed to meet regulation and time spent on providing real quality care is compromised.

Advice to Management

I only have experience in NC and the state level manager is very self focused. A lack of depth in her understanding of the components necessary to provide quality community based services often causes her to react without the knowledge needed to make a good decision. I also believe that on some level she understands her deficiencies, and rather than seeking to improve and develop her skills as a manager of people she resorts to threats and demands without offering the real support needed for program improvement. Good staff at the Bair Foundation should not be caused to feel inadequate based on the inadequacies of upper management. ( again I can only speak from my knowledge of North Carolina - The Bair Foundation provides services in ten other states.)

6. In response to the Bogus Responses

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time

Pros

None, treat the staff who "keep the doors open" with respect. You can not grow if you continue to disrespect those who you expect to work miracles for your offices. Do you wonder why you have went from 15 offices in Texas to 6?

Cons

The responses are a prime example of the negative experience. The mistreatment is across the board! The BS about the rise of insurance costs does not apply to me as I left prior to the increase.

Advice to Management

Dora, while you are a sweetheart, those in management are not. I had the opportunity to work with every office in Texas and communicate with those outside. It's the same thing. I am with a nonprofit and came from CPS, I understand paperwork and long hours. A little respect would go a long way.

7. "not a good Christian representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at The Bair Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you meet some great kids. some of the kids really make positive changes and it is good when they successfully discharge from the program.

Cons

management preaches from a textbook and regulations, many of the staff do not have kids of their own so they have limited personal experience with kids yet are trying to tell experienced foster parents how to parent.

Advice to Management

focus on what is right for the staff, kids, and families instead of the census numbers.

Jul 31, 2015 – National Marketi ng Director

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry that your experience with Bair was not positive. Working in social services can be a challenge; yes there are long hours, and to meet ... More

8. Past Employee

Former Employee - Lead Clinical Staff in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Lead Clinical Staff in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Bair Foundation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Team environment and good pay for the field.

Cons

Long hours and difficult situations. High burn out. High employee turnover

Aug 7, 2015 – Human Resources

Unfortunately when we are so passionate about helping others, we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves. Meeting the high needs of foster youth and families-in-crisis definitely can take a toll ... More

one big unchristian joke

Pros

The children and foster parents

Cons

Training is poor and expectations are unreasonable. Low pay, long hard hours, No appreciation, they set you up for failure, and SOOOO MUCH MORE. They will post your job while you are still struggling to do it. This company uses the term Christian and they are far from it. Don't work for them!

Advice to Management

Restructure and real Christian leadership. Appropriate training and allow people to learn their job before you judge their abilities.

Jul 31, 2015 – National Marketi ng Director

By posting anonymously and without the number of years you were employed at Bair, it is very difficult to respond to your post. We do appreciate your honestly and genuinely appreciate your feedback ... More

Is a good place to work if you like helping people.

Pros

The employees get along and really help each other out when needed. Working with the children and families is a plus.

Cons

The pay and benefits are minimal for the workload. For a company focused on helping families it seems they don't offer much to help care for the families of there employees.

Advice to Management

Try to provide a competitive salary and a better benefit package.

Jul 31, 2015 – National Marketi ng Director

As a non-profit organization, it is hard to balance the limited revenue we receive from the counties and our expenses. We do our very best to offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Bair ... More

AWFUL

Former Employee - Clinical Team Member in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Member in El Paso, TX

Pros

Your own office. They help children for the most part but keep them there as long as possible so they can get more money from medicaid

Cons

Discrimination, toxic work environment, NON CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATION

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with dignity and respect or you will lose them

Jul 31, 2015 – National Marketi ng Director

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve, so we genuinely appreciate your feedback. The Bair Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed