The Berry Company

Updated August 20, 2014

3.4

The Berry Company Executive Chairman James Continenza
James Continenza

Pros
  • Good benefits and continual training in order to stay ahead of the industry (in 10 reviews)

• Fellow employees are very nice and great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • When was the last time you looked at the Yellow Pages (in 9 reviews)

• Internal partners need to get in sync with billing customer service, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

There is money to be made here selling products that work!

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We offer so many products that work. Ya, some people may thing the phone book doesn't work. What we know is that the phone book does work, does deliver phone calls, does lead customers to websites, and does bring people through the door -- how? tracking numbers, research, studies, testimonials. We have a full suite of products - and they all work. So, there is something to sell someone at all times - SEM, SEO, YP.com, Videos, Websites, Reputation Management, Online Profile Optimization! Our products are used every day!!! The best part of this job is great products and you never run out of leads!!! With hard work, you are compensated well - you will make more money here than most jobs!!! Work hard, Earn lots.

Cons

Cons - well, you need to work hard to make money....just like any job. The company is investing a lot of money to improve our current system and increase efficiencies. We are looking forward to that. Problems -- what company doesn't have problems. Berry continues to improve the compensation, systems, and products...that is why I am here after 10 + years.

Continue to listen to your Sales Reps - the bread and butter of this sales company. Also, continue keep our products better than the competition and keep looking or more products to sell.

Aug 13, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your review on Berry. We are pleased to hear that you truly enjoy your job. And you are correct, the Yellow Pages do work. In fact, of people who use the Yellow Pages, 74% make ... More

outside sales

I have been working at The Berry Company

Pros

high commissions, co-workers are encouraging

Cons

high stress, management expects at times unreal expectations

Aug 13, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your review. While the work can be challenging at times, it is also very rewarding. Dynamic team environments, combined with attentive managers ensures our sales team is ... More

Good Company with Alot of Travel

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company and I enjoy working with everyone. The ability to make money is there for the outside sales person. Must work hard to succeed.

Cons

The largest con is being led on about the amount of travel as an outside sales rep. I spend all but two or three months away from my home. In certain times I would be able to come home on the weekends. Other times I would only be able to come home every other weekend. So at ties I would spend only 6-8 days out of the month sleeping in my own bed. The rest of the time I was in a hotel somewhere around the country.
    The job of outside sales rep is not one meant for a person with a family due to the amount of time away from home.

The only real advice I can give is ease up on the what have you done for me mentality. But as I have said I enjoy working here the only hard part is being away from my family and life back home so much.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good job

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

new office in Dayton is nice, wish we would get one.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

good job getting new leads

Inside Sales for 12 years

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For the most part, I work 40 hours a week so the work-life balance is good. I enjoy sales so am satisfied with what I am doing within the company in my position. My manager is great and we have a cohesive team that is more like extended family. That has not always been the case. Hanging in there has paid off because less desirable managers have come and gone. I am proud that our company has survived a very difficult road to recovery after the recession. This is because of a dynamic leadership team who provide us with exception tools to do our jobs to the best of our ability.

Cons

Compensation is very fair and benefits are very competitive. You get paid a base salary plus commissions and there are contests that offer additional opportunities for more pay and incentives. We have been through a lot of changes in the last 12 years and at times I thought of leaving because of the struggles. But I am glad I stayed. Management and operations are functioning better than ever. Many of the issues people complained about are now a thing of the past. We have awesome products to offer our clients at competitive prices. Helping businesses succeed is what drives me everyday. Hearing my customers tell me they are staying busy because of the calls they receive due to their advertising brings me a great deal of satisfaction.

Because we are such a wide spread organization with offices throughout the country, it would be nice if we could have an occasional meeting at the corporate office or offsite so we can all meet and get to know others who work at other locations, be recognized amongst our peers, and celebrate accomplishments.

Aug 13, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for your review of Berry. As the media landscape has evolved, so too has our company. We are pleased to offer consumers with the products they need to reach SMBs. And even more importantly ... More

Like a fine wine, this job gets better as time goes on

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive performance-based pay & full suite of health & medical benefits. Company provided initial & on-going sales training in all relevant best-in-class services. Strong history of sales excellence. Our culture is one of mutual respect & team fair play ... like a family. Sales is provided with an established book of business (client base) & it is expected that we service & grow our clients.

Cons

As with any sales job, there are highs & lows, but you are the controlling element to how you will perform. If you are not a self-starter or confident self-reliant individual you will struggle & this career is not for you.

Jul 20, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing a review of Berry. We are very proud of our best in class products, training, culture and most importantly our employees!

Great sales experience but not somewhere to have a career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best part would be the people you work with. You seem to work with a group all after a common goal but it can be a very greedy position. There is a million ways to make money but there are plenty of obstacles to prevent you from doing so. Overall experience was my number 1 take away.

Cons

You're mislead from the first interview. You go into this sales position thinking it has to do with your skill and willing to work hard. Between assignments and the way management treats employees is very unfair. There is definitely favoritism depending on "what have you done for me lately."

Managers should not play favoritism so much. They have way to much influence on how successful you can be. Depending on giving people better leads or even better assignments to set you up for success.

Aug 13, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Berry. We are sorry to hear that part of your experience has not been positive. Our reps and management team are held ... More

Riding the Roller-coaster of Change...but wouldn't change a thing!

I have been working at The Berry Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Products to help SMB's. I really enjoy working with my peers, management and staff. I feel like I belong to a great team although your individual accomplishments and contributions are very important.
    Lots of Opportunities once you prove yourself and you can make Berry a Career!
    Change is Constant - which it needs to be when you are talking Advertising in this day and age.
    Great Pay, Benefits and 401K Match!

Cons

Work-life is sometimes a challenge when you go into management, but you have to be ready for that if that's what you want.
    Change - If you aren't a fan this will be a difficult place to be.

Just remember that your employee is there because they believe in The Berry Company. Don't forget to appreciate them, even when the stress is high.

Jul 2, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing a review of Berry. Our employees are the key to our success! We offer a rewarding work experience, including competitive salary and benefits, cross-training and growth ... More

Nice place to work

I have been working at The Berry Company

Pros

Innovative and groundbreaking SFDC implementation

Cons

Too many cooks spoiling the soup.

Jun 25, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your review of Berry. We are very excited about our technology enhancements for 2014 and are confident in the positive impact on our employees and customers.

My experience at the Berry Company has been exceptional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at The Berry Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is friendly and superiors are looking out for your best interests. The company is changing significantly and bringing in a new culture. I would recommend working here, particularly if you are younger going forward.

Cons

The company is experiencing change, but its necessary for brighter tomorrows.

Keep up the good work

Jun 9, 2014Director, HR & Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience working at Berry. There is definitely a lot of change occurring as we continue transforming from a provider of print Yellow Pages ... More

Worked for The Berry Company? Contribute to the Community!