The Berry Company

The Berry Company Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

The Berry Company Executive Chairman James Continenza

James Continenza

Pros
  • Good benefits and continual training in order to stay ahead of the industry (in 10 reviews)

• Fellow employees are very nice and great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • When was the last time you looked at the Yellow Pages (in 9 reviews)

• Internal partners need to get in sync with billing customer service, etc (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great sales experience but not somewhere to have a career

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint Peters, MO

ProsBest part would be the people you work with. You seem to work with a group all after a common goal but it can be a very greedy position. There is a million ways to make money but there are plenty of obstacles to prevent you from doing so. Overall experience was my number 1 take away.

ConsYou're mislead from the first interview. You go into this sales position thinking it has to do with your skill and willing to work hard. Between assignments and the way management treats employees is very unfair. There is definitely favoritism depending on "what have you done for me lately."

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should not play favoritism so much. They have way to much influence on how successful you can be. Depending on giving people better leads or even better assignments to set you up for success.

Like a fine wine, this job gets better as time goes on

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsCompetitive performance-based pay & full suite of health & medical benefits. Company provided initial & on-going sales training in all relevant best-in-class services. Strong history of sales excellence. Our culture is one of mutual respect & team fair play ... like a family. Sales is provided with an established book of business (client base) & it is expected that we service & grow our clients.

ConsAs with any sales job, there are highs & lows, but you are the controlling element to how you will perform. If you are not a self-starter or confident self-reliant individual you will struggle & this career is not for you.

Jul 20, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing a review of Berry. We are very proud of our best in class products, training, culture and most importantly our employees!

Riding the Roller-coaster of Change...but wouldn't change a thing!

ProsGreat Products to help SMB's. I really enjoy working with my peers, management and staff. I feel like I belong to a great team although your individual accomplishments and contributions are very important.
    Lots of Opportunities once you prove yourself and you can make Berry a Career!
    Change is Constant - which it needs to be when you are talking Advertising in this day and age.
    Great Pay, Benefits and 401K Match!

ConsWork-life is sometimes a challenge when you go into management, but you have to be ready for that if that's what you want.
    Change - If you aren't a fan this will be a difficult place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust remember that your employee is there because they believe in The Berry Company. Don't forget to appreciate them, even when the stress is high.

Jul 2, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing a review of Berry. Our employees are the key to our success! We offer a rewarding work experience, including competitive salary and benefits, cross-training and growth ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work

ProsInnovative and groundbreaking SFDC implementation

ConsToo many cooks spoiling the soup.

Jun 25, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your review of Berry. We are very excited about our technology enhancements for 2014 and are confident in the positive impact on our employees and customers.

It was a great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were comparable to most companies of this size. This worked well for me in my lifestyle and budget.

ConsThe private equity firm that purchased the company was not very sympathetic to its employees and laid off several hundred.

Jul 2, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to add a review. We offer competitive salary and benefits to our employees and appreciate your feedback!

My experience at the Berry Company has been exceptional

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe office environment is friendly and superiors are looking out for your best interests. The company is changing significantly and bringing in a new culture. I would recommend working here, particularly if you are younger going forward.

ConsThe company is experiencing change, but its necessary for brighter tomorrows.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Jun 9, 2014Director, HR & Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience working at Berry. There is definitely a lot of change occurring as we continue transforming from a provider of print Yellow Pages ... More

High Point - What a mess!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) High Point, NC

ProsI learned a ton about what not to do and how not to treat people from the management team and other people there who have zero integrity. I learned that your experience at Berry is solely dependent on the Branch leadership and unfortunately High Point doesn't have many leaders with integrity - most left. I did learn a lot about sales and leadership skills through the training staff who were probably the best assets Berry had - I've heard they downsized them now ... makes sense to let your best talent go.

ConsAfter being out of the High Point cesspool now, I have realized how bad it was. People were getting written up for things they weren't doing. Tons of reps were cheating customers and praised for doing so by the branch manager and other leaders. Reps were being coached to violate pricing policies to bring in more revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership has an idea of what is going on - will you act?

Jul 19, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than positive. While our reps and management team are held to high levels of customer satisfaction, we have a strict ethical policy which we hold ... More

Print is a sinking ship but digital is here to stay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) High Point, NC

ProsGood benefits and continual training in order to stay ahead of the industry

ConsThis is a high stress job without the high payout that usually accompanies a high stress job. Most of the employees try to do a good job but the busy work and the digital fulfillment issues are a real problem. High turnover, poor management and favoritism is also a big problem

Jul 2, 2014Director, HR and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Berry. We are sorry to hear that part of your experience has not been positive. While our sales positions are ... More

Not what it seems...

Premise Account Executive (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsGood benefits, great Customers, enjoy working with good people. Made some good friends

ConsManagement has no clue what goes on day to day, commission structure is not favorable, Hawaii local office very disconnected, some managers have no selling experience

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and development, higher commissions, new leaders

Jun 9, 2014Director, HR & Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Berry. We are sorry to hear that part of your experience has not been positive and are always open to ways to improve ... More

The berry company

OUTSIDE SALES (Former Employee)

ProsStarted out as a great company I loved it. I wanted to work here the rest of my life. Looked at it as a career not just a job.

ConsManagement wasn't held to the same standard as Outside sales reps. We would be in the markets needing help and Management would leave market early or not even come to the market certain weeks. So if the team was struggling and upper managers (VP's) were upset, then management would lie and say team wasn't trying. I even had my manager try to write me up for my performance, so the manager could give me the boot and cover their position. I refused to sign the write up because I wasn't the team member with the lowest numbers and not everyone was being held to the same standard (the manager was displaying favoritism). I even saw the Manager completely lie about how much time she was in the market and how all she did was micromanage....But if she was managing as good as she claimed her team wouldn't have been doing so poor. She ultimately did get let go because her HR paperwork was untruthful and she was called on it!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't Lie and try to have your staff fired to cover your wrong doings.

Jun 9, 2014Director, HR & Recruiting

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience working at Berry toward the end of your career with us. We hold all employees, including managers, to a high ethical standard and would ... More

Worked for The Berry Company? Contribute to the Community!