The Black Dog

Updated May 5, 2014
Updated May 5, 2014
3.7

CEO

Currently working at The Black Dog, most enjoyable job I have ever had in retail!

I have been working at The Black Dog

Pros

The best reason to work there is the ability to create your own destiny within the company. Upper-management is open to suggestions and eager to help as much as they can to make your ideas come to life! Great job for an active person!

Cons

Challenges come from the huge swing in business. Summer time is like a normal retailers Holiday Season, while Winter time is extremely slow.

Continue to create events to entice locals to shop during off-season. Implement more "corporate" ideas in day-to-day operations. Get rid of managers that are not happy within the company, and hire new that can better represent The Black Dog brand.

Wonderful Smaller Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chatham, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chatham, MA

I worked at The Black Dog full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very personable in upper management and in district management, run by the same family that started the company based out of Martha's Vineyard. They really know what Cape Cod/Seaside in general tourists are looking for. I was with the company for 5+ years before I moved out of the area, and I loved my fellow staff every single year. Sales Associate is the perfect seasonal job for college students, and management can provide you with decent salary and a full schedule for those looking for something more permanent.

Cons

Honestly, the worst thing the company ever did was sign on to be a part of that dreadful "reality" television show that aired Summer 2013. The fake employees pictured on that show were lazy, childish, petty, and so absurdly unprofessional that I feel like it really put the entire company and all who work for it in a negative light. It had the opposite reaction of what the company was hoping for and it's put a real stress on the entire operation ever since. Give it another year and everyone will forget all about it.

Occasionally, the DM who comes in will get very hung up on what really is the wrong thing in the long run. They are very dedicated to playing a particular radio station that streams over the internet, which is great, but that website is not well maintained and will often crash. Rather than have silence in the stores, my associates and I would elect for a family friendly (usually country) pandora pro station, and several times the DM has shown up for a surprise visit and criticized us harshly for something we have absolutely no control over. I also worked with the company for several years and he never bothered to learn my name, say hello, anything, which was very discouraging as an employee.

Hard work with little direction and encouragement

Current Employee - Store Manager in Vineyard Haven, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Vineyard Haven, MA

I have been working at The Black Dog

Pros

They offer a great discount on both clothing and food. The original Black Dog Tavern is located on the beautiful island of Martha's Vineyard, and is a destination in and of itself. Customers seek out the stores and all of the stores are high volume and always busy. Employees get a free ride on either the Shenandoah or the Alabama, two tall ships The Black Dog owns and operates...an incredible experience.

Cons

Unfortunately, Senior Management does not spend enough time in the stores. This tends to make them somewhat out of touch with important issues that affect sales. There is too much emphasis on the numbers and not enough emphasis on employee development. There is also no formal training plan in place, and managers are expected to understand every single aspect of running their business, even if they have been shown only once how to do something.

Make a detailed training plan and hire someone to implement that plan companywide. Ensure all locations are running the exact same way and eliminate "rogue" managers who are out of control and making up their own rules. Spend more time in the stores to better learn how things run and what would be helpful to make the store run more efficiently

Worth living in the Island

I worked at The Black Dog

Pros

Martha's Vineyard, the beach is right next to work. You get to work with a variety of characters.

Cons

The owners are more concerned with personal vanity and kite surfing then actually trying to run a company. Year round employees are usually crazy not properly trained and have management positions.

Consolidate your stores, properly train your management, and re-brand