The Boar's Head Reviews

2.4
James Neiderer

Pay

I have been working at The Boar's Head

Pros

The company works well for the employee when they need a day off even if its last minute. I have worked for them for 4 years and the management does pretty well in this area.

Cons

The pay in my opinion is lower then what it should after 4 years there i'm only making about a dollar more a hour then when i started. A lot is expected of you for low pay.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with a little more respect and better pay.

Overspending on infrastructure compromised ability to keep and pay staff adequately

Former Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at The Boar's Head full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I first started working at the Boar's Head in 2006. After my first boss was hired. She continued to restructure and bring together a competent Sales Team, coaching as necessary. We were working as a well-oiled team. After the recession hit, it was slow to be felt I our department until the profit margins fell ill.

Cons

Being owned by the UVA Foundation has created a lack of focus and communication. The Foundation often made some outrageous demands. The management and Foundation also started to "throw money at" problems, wining and dining UVA Staff and Faculty to get advice from them on how to complete the renovation, colors and and what priorities should be. When they had a real tough problem, instead of analyzing things from the inside, they hired consulting firms, spending a lot of money on "restructuring" department after department.

Advice to Management

Be part of the solution and learn how to take the reins and lead by example.

poor leadership at the top

I have been working at The Boar's Head full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great property and great location to UVA. Some really dedicated and caring staff members too.

Cons

Poor senior leadership. Property is very dis functional. GM never around and no one knows what is going on.

Advice to Management

Hire a GM with good communication and people skills. Current GM is awful.

RSS Feed </> Embed