The Boar's Head

www.boarsheadinn.com

The Boar's Head Reviews

2.0

James Neiderer

Overspending on infrastructure compromised ability to keep and pay staff adequately

Former Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at The Boar's Head full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I first started working at the Boar's Head in 2006. After my first boss was hired. She continued to restructure and bring together a competent Sales Team, coaching as necessary. We were working as a well-oiled team. After the recession hit, it was slow to be felt I our department until the profit margins fell ill.

Cons

Being owned by the UVA Foundation has created a lack of focus and communication. The Foundation often made some outrageous demands. The management and Foundation also started to "throw money at" problems, wining and dining UVA Staff and Faculty to get advice from them on how to complete the renovation, colors and and what priorities should be. When they had a real tough problem, instead of analyzing things from the inside, they hired consulting firms, spending a lot of money on "restructuring" department after department.

Be part of the solution and learn how to take the reins and lead by example.

poor leadership at the top

I have been working at The Boar's Head full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great property and great location to UVA. Some really dedicated and caring staff members too.

Cons

Poor senior leadership. Property is very dis functional. GM never around and no one knows what is going on.

Hire a GM with good communication and people skills. Current GM is awful.