The Body Shop Reviews

Reset

1. Working at The Body Shop

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at The Body Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of interesting people and sell products that give back to the community.

Cons

Not a large costumer demographic of people who are of color.

Shop Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Body Shop (More than a year)

Pros

Great Discount, lots of product education and ingredient education.

Cons

My specifc district has no teamwork, lots of the DM talking and giving out personal info on different stores. Just a negative and really uncomfortable working enviornment.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice.

Job Burnout A Real Possibility

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free product, employee discount, air conditioning.

Cons

Lack of support from management. The world of retail changed & the pressure to meet sales goals puts unneeded stress on a low wage job with no potential for growth. Loreal is too big & they have lost touch with what Anita Roddick started & wanted for The Body Shop.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Recognize we are doing the best we can with a sour retail market, greater competition & the COMPLETE lack of social politeness.

5. Change management

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Ontario, CA

I worked at The Body Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

products were good, company values were attractive when applying for the position.

Cons

management is not hired from within hard to transfer stores

Eh...

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager

I worked at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

Discount on products, relatively easy work

Cons

My manager quit 3 months after I started (she was awesome) and things started going down hill everyone was quitting and soon I was left holding up the store while I was still in school. I stepped up and pretty much ran the store for 6 months without the title or pay and working a lot more hours than I had signed on for. Before I left my thank you was a 12 cent raise... No thank you. When I applied for The Shop Manager spot that I had already been doing I wasn't even given an interview. Also it should not take 6 months to find a new manager and leaving the staff hanging for that long is simply rude and taking advantage. I even warned them before people were leaving and they did nothing.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open during the hiring process. Recognize and reward people who stepped up when things got challenging. I didn't even get so much as a thank you...

ok place to work

I worked at The Body Shop full-time

Pros

Good discount. Good products.

Cons

Too much turn over in District managers. Little training. Micro managed

8. Worked as Assistant Shop Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, great company ethics. Thorough training programs.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Compensation not enough for work expected.

Assistant Manager

I worked at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

I've worked for the company for a little over five years. I was hired as a sales associate and from the get go was trained on their ideals and beliefs. In the beginning I was with mangers who genuinely cared about their jobs and the products. When I was promoted, things changed.

Cons

First off, I was severely underpaid... like severely. If I was working actual part time hours (unlike the 40 hours I worked every week) maybe I would be a less bitter. They treated me like I was a full time employee but I never received the benefits of one. Day after day I received little to no direction from upper management but still given the expectation that things would get done the way they wanted. The corporate office had no idea what so ever what they were doing... they never sent the right materials and tools that the stores needed... it was never a walk in the park. Also the turnover rate in that company is astronomical. SERIOUSLY HIRE GOOD PEOPLE WHO WILL ACTUALLY STAY IN YOUR STORES!!! Its the never ending circle of horrible people being hired and the good people getting burnt out for over compensating for the bad people. After dealing with four manager changes in my time there, the last manager (who still works there) pitted employees against each other and used personal information about them as gossip. I know she was the reason why three of her best employees quit (including myself). Also, after five years of service I only received ONE raise.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together the first time around. Hire good people, not convenient people. Keep your word. Be more flexible for part time employees Hold upper management accountable. Reward your passionate employees

10. great products

Former Employee - Store Manager; District Managfer
    Former Employee - Store Manager; District Managfer

Pros

founding philosophy was very inspirational for me. customers who valued natural/organic ingredients were very loyal. the associates I hired and trained were very happy with the company's benefits.

Cons

small store fronts were often hard to find in holiday mall traffic. the products were often too pricey especially for young first time customers.

Advice to Management

have more rewards for loyal customers, and create some first time buyer attraction such as free membership in loyalty program

Nice to work for a brand that's actually really good for you.

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get 45 percent employee discount and work with natural products that are part of community fair trade.

Cons

Just working alone, I don't think it's for controlling theft and for making sales as a whole.

Advice to Management

To stop having staff work alone, and expect for the employee to inform and sell to the customer to the full potential this will totally keep everything on the up and up.

RSS Feed </> Embed