The Body Shop

The Body Shop Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

The Body Shop CEO Sophie Gasperment

Sophie Gasperment

Pros
  • Great products from a company that does not test on animals or use animal products (in 29 reviews)

• Great products, good employee discount, some amazing fellow employees (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management was awful-tried to micromanage but offered no constructive help (in 20 reviews)

• District managers are doing nothing (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Trust the brand, Love the Management, Adore the Visuals

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAs a Part time Manager I don't receive paid time off, but management understands that and gives me the time I need/want off when asked.
    The bonus program is typically attainable, and available for PT management staff
    Discount is great, though the LYB card and great promos are usually a better deal
    I feel as though my opinions matter, there is a sense of community in my district
    Fun env

Consmanagement is hourly, and not given enough staff hours to complete tasks given
    Update the computer systems! It becomes nearly impossible to do your job when working with antiquated technology. We don't even have access to email, which is absurd. Its the future guys, get with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak into the new age, update your computer systems, update your website, give your stores a realistic number of hours during the off season to succeed.

Fun

Keyholder (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful products, good people for the most part, flexibility, promotion from within.

ConsNone. I don't work there anymore but still love them

Great Place to Work While In College

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsThe best part of this job are my co-workers. The company promotes their values and teamwork, so we strive to be the best sales people with each other. Salary is decent and expected.

ConsThe only problem I have is a lack of training. When I was hired, I was given minimal guidance on the product. I was trained on procedures, selling tactics etc. The only "formal" training on had on the product was reading website reviews and memorizing customer feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat communication from all levels of management. Training is the biggest opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No growth

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsA good job while you're in college and need side money. Not time consuming, not difficult

ConsComplacency among management. No competitive edge offered for sales team like commissions

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to motivate your team. There is a lot of snarky back talk amongst the managers about each other which is bad for morale.

Great products, great clientèle, poor corporate structure!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe products are fantastic and f/t employees earn a ton of time off!

ConsCompensation is awful! Corporate headquarters is totally out of touch with retail locations.

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount, product knowledge, friendships, dress code, clientele

Conspromotions, fairness of pay, training, hours, work-life balance

Advice to Senior Managementcompany values implementation

I loved every minute of working with The Body Shop!!! Great product and company!!'

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsFantastic product, global perspective and company! Keep up the wonderful work started by Anita Roddick and all will continue to be well!!

ConsNothing comes to mind ... I loved being a member of The Body Shop team! I'd gladly return to a position :)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to treat employees and customers with excellence and respect!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was worth it.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou get to work with a small team, and become like family. The products are great and the meaning behind the company is good too.

ConsIts all about sales. If you continue not to make the goals you eventually get into trouble. And the dress code is all black!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit more to managers who are part time, most of them work as hard or even harder than the Assistant Store Manager.

Shop Manager

ProsThe company was founded with great intentions , and still has a few employees with those values.

ConsNo communication from home office to the field! home office has no sense of planning or the ability of giving clear direction or realistic expectations. There is no room for growth and pay is horrible compared to other retailers. The company is a complete disaster. They don't do the proper research to set stores up for success yet assign unrealistic goals which are communicated to stores after the fact. Store employees and some District managers are given too large of a workload for the pay and payroll we are given. The company is its own biggest problem, lack of product availability in the stores yet online sales go up, store sales go down yet we need to call our customer every month for parties to make up continuos decreases . Yet online returns have to be taken back at store level as well as dealing with an outdated glitched system which causes frustration for employees and customers alike. Overall go somewhere else not The Body Shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Value your employees , be open and honest with them and you would see such a difference in your business. Get organized! If your not, how can we at store level represent you properly?!

Amazing company that does everything through their values

ProsThe company values are inspiring and makes you feel like you are actually making a difference in the world due to the community fair trade stories.
    Great benefits, paid volunteer time. Great work/life balance. The upper management isn't just about business, they think with their heart too and I appreciate that. Many training materials if you take the initiative

ConsPoor Technology, many different promotions which i think takes away from the quality of the product. Upper Mgmt spread thin.

Worked for The Body Shop? Contribute to the Community!