The Body Shop Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.1

The Body Shop CEO Sophie Gasperment
Sophie Gasperment

Pros
  • Great products from a company that does not test on animals or use animal products (in 29 reviews)

• Great products, good employee discount, some amazing fellow employees (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management was awful-tried to micromanage but offered no constructive help (in 20 reviews)

• District managers are doing nothing (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

True to Values

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

The store itself is small, so it's only staffed by a few people a day; this means that you can become really well-acquainted with your co-workers. Everyone is understanding, and willing to help each other out. The values really do hold true. You also get paid volunteer hours in your off-time.

Cons

Be prepared for some tedious work, constant shelf straightening in your downtime, and there are some products that fall over on a dime.

As someone who has recently been fired from my Shop Manager position i now realize why i had quit the company years ago

Former Employee - Shop Manager
    Former Employee - Shop Manager

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Continued focus on cruelty free products. I still enjoy and use most of the products. The Body Butter is by far the best around even tho the price has seen many increases throughout the years. Some new products are a great addition to the company.

Cons

Unfortunately there are many products that have been "discontinued" for whatever reason. There is no longer a big focus on home fragrance even tho back in the day it was a good 25% of our business in store. Too many out of stock issues. Too many products coming out that are too similar to Loreal products that you can buy at Target i.e. Youth Code (Loreal) Drops of Youth(The Body Shop)

If you cant do an event and do it right stop spending all this money on marketing and signage and training only to postpone said event til further notice. Stop out doing in store promotions with online ones. It does nothing to bring people into the stores. Too many Groupons coming out back to back. Upper management making decisions based on personal feelings. Losing a lot of great people due to this(and im not speaking of myself only)How many people need to quit before corporate says "hmmm whats going on here?"

Great place to work part time.

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. They will work around your schedule.

Cons

No real training. Only given a DVD to watch.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work while in college

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Concord, CA

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of this job was the flexible hours and wonderful customers. The Body Shop is a wonderful place to work because there cores and values were genuine. The product was top of the line.

Cons

Every since the company went under the Loreal umbrella i feel that they do not focus on the core values and beliefs. The quality of the product has gone down.

Trust the brand, Love the Management, Adore the Visuals

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a Part time Manager I don't receive paid time off, but management understands that and gives me the time I need/want off when asked.
    The bonus program is typically attainable, and available for PT management staff
    Discount is great, though the LYB card and great promos are usually a better deal
    I feel as though my opinions matter, there is a sense of community in my district
    Fun env

Cons

management is hourly, and not given enough staff hours to complete tasks given
    Update the computer systems! It becomes nearly impossible to do your job when working with antiquated technology. We don't even have access to email, which is absurd. Its the future guys, get with it.

Break into the new age, update your computer systems, update your website, give your stores a realistic number of hours during the off season to succeed.

Fun

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful products, good people for the most part, flexibility, promotion from within.

Cons

None. I don't work there anymore but still love them

Great Place to Work While In College

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

The best part of this job are my co-workers. The company promotes their values and teamwork, so we strive to be the best sales people with each other. Salary is decent and expected.

Cons

The only problem I have is a lack of training. When I was hired, I was given minimal guidance on the product. I was trained on procedures, selling tactics etc. The only "formal" training on had on the product was reading website reviews and memorizing customer feedback.

Great communication from all levels of management. Training is the biggest opportunity.

No growth

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Stony Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stony Brook, NY

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

A good job while you're in college and need side money. Not time consuming, not difficult

Cons

Complacency among management. No competitive edge offered for sales team like commissions

Work harder to motivate your team. There is a lot of snarky back talk amongst the managers about each other which is bad for morale.

Great products, great clientèle, poor corporate structure!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

The products are fantastic and f/t employees earn a ton of time off!

Cons

Compensation is awful! Corporate headquarters is totally out of touch with retail locations.

Okay

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, product knowledge, friendships, dress code, clientele

Cons

promotions, fairness of pay, training, hours, work-life balance

company values implementation

Worked for The Body Shop? Contribute to the Community!