The Boss Group

The Boss Group Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Very helpful in finding a job

I have been working at The Boss Group as a contractor

ProsVery fast in finding me a position

ConsI do not have any cons as yet

wonderful staff to do business with!

Technical Writer (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at The Boss Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat matches of talent and companies

ConsNone that I can say

Generally very good, but some substantial changes due to growth

Recruiter (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at The Boss Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a staffing company that generally has most of the resources of a mid-sized or larger staffing organization, but without some of the downsides you find with the bigger staffing organizations. If you like staffing but want to be in a friendly environment, BOSS is a good option. And while base salaries are very low compared to industry standard, the benefits are exceptional. You get to work on Macs, it's casual dress and you get great time off, including your work anniversary and birthday. Plus the company offers summer hours and a generous loyalty sabbatical for employees with 3+ years of tenure.

ConsI spent several years at BOSS, in two locations -- one established and one newer office. In both, I've found that the organization is going through a lot of change (mainly due to growth) and in that process, communication across the organization has begun to deteriorate, especially between higher level management and employees. In the future, the regional manger role will hopefully help rectify this but that role adds another layer and does have the possibility of further isolating employees from higher level management. As a result of the breakdown in communication and changes in company culture, there has begun to be high turnover. That's not something you used to find at BOSS, but in the last year, I estimate that a third of the branch employees have left (if not more). And several of those were exceptionally tenured.

Additionally, the company culture is one of the things that generally makes BOSS a solid place to work, but they are struggling to convey that "special something" to new branches. The company really believes in five central values, including employee centricity. While most of the time they are good at embodying those values, things have gotten shaky lately. I could give many examples over the last two years, but most recently I experienced a situation that really felt like a betrayal of those company values and what I came to expect from working at BOSS. Specifically, during my last two years at BOSS, I worked on a draw salary plan. When I put in notice, I was initially told that I would be kept during my two weeks notice so I could help transition my workload and that I would be paid my draw for that transition period. But on day three, the regional manager abruptly let me go and I was told they weren't going to pay me for those three days I'd worked post-notice or the week before (because we are paid a week in arrears). While that is 100% legal because I was on a draw salary plan, my previous staffing employers had always paid out my notice period even when I was on a draw plan. Legality aside, it is morally very gray (especially to keep me for three days if they didn't intend to pay me) and I question the "employee centricity" of the company's actions. I later found out that I was not the only employee who experienced a version of this scenario and that knowledge is what compelled me to write this review.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communication between branches, and employees and upper management. Things have gotten very political and that is negatively impacting employees. Don't change payment plans, job descriptions, etc. without employee buy in (this happens often). Raise base pay and commission structure. For example, Aquent pays $70-90K base and the commission structure is more aggressive.

Excellent company to grow your career and salary. Fun work environment, hands on leadership, caring owners.

Bethesda, MD

I worked at The Boss Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat industry recognition and fun industry to work in, career advancement outlined from the start, lots of opportunity to grow in both sales & recruiting roles, equally valued, as well as opportunity to grow with sister companies and holding company. Low turnover because it's a great place to work. Office environment is fun, lots of activities to keep things motivated.

ConsYou may need to relocate for advancement. Most positions require participation in evening networking activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing!

Great place to work, ethical, passionate, caring.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Boss Group full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company culture, its leadership, benefits and the people in general.

ConsTough industry, lots of competition in larger markets especially in large national firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in lead generating lists, services or other ways to drive business.

Positive people, varied opportunities

Designer (Current Employee)
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at The Boss Group

ProsFlexibility, independence, better benefits than other agencies

Conslimited benefits, sometimes unpredictable work flow

Fun with opportunities to be entrepreneurial but also challenging and ever changing.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD

I have been working at The Boss Group

ProsGreat environment, room for career growth and ability to transition into other roles / divisions within greater organization. Environment encourages / fosters success. People are happy at work. There is good corporate support but still a small company feel. Better than average commission with fun perks like extra days off & trips for exceeding goals, paid day off on your birthday, summer fridays. Fun internal contests, awards & parties. Owners really care about employees.

ConsMight be expected to relocate to be promoted, not as easy to be promoted and stay in original geography. Required to attend networking events on evenings &/or weekends which is ok but sometimes a conflict, comp plans have changed especially for direct side.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people running the desk more autonomy to build relationships. Define value of overhead positions. Don't act like you're doing us a favor when you offer support & help.

Core Values are a sign on the wall

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at The Boss Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe owners seemed to really care about their employees. They claim to have very low turnover.

ConsThe turnover is a joke.
In the last year 5 of 7 had new branch managers. some seemed ok, but most were ex agency managers.
Growth and structure change has lead this once nice boutique staffing company to typical staffing company, who will have continued high turnover. The management is pubicly a cheerleading squad the real management is cutthroat and a sales staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour new employees are your new culture and since you cant seem to hang onto even your branch managers, I guess I have no advice for you.

No Support For Talent/Contractors

I worked at The Boss Group as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are on an assignment, especially a long-term one, they pretty much leave you alone. If their check is in the mail, you'll never hear from them.

ConsThey used to be okay to work for, but those days are long gone no matter how many awards they claim to have. They don't support their talent - benefits are non-existent, rates are on the low side.

The benefits they claim you'll receive require at least 1500 hours, practically a year of your life to get paid for a holiday. A new assignment means you restart the clock. No software training. Cost of living raises are dependent on how they renegotiate your contract. So, may be pennies or no raise for years if on a long-term assignment. The recruiters are inexperienced and account managers don't even understand most job descriptions. They don't know their contractors or support and promote their contractor's talent and experience to clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting all your awards - those of us on the front line aren't seeing those results. Stick up and support your talent, and maybe you'll keep the good ones.

Frustraiting!

I worked at The Boss Group

ProsAs far as staffing agencies go, they are not worse than their competition.

ConsThis company is way to management heavy, who are really like the presidents puppetts! You will be micro manage you until they drive you out! When it comes to staffing you eaither take money or make money and this company has way too many takers, they are like a triangle scheme.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do not need so much management, middle management, etc. The most successful staffing firms in the world all have one thing in common that BOSS has nothing in common with. Even the president of those companies run desks! You need more makers, and you need to compensate them better, much better and less takers, people who odnt run a desk!!

Worked for The Boss Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Boss Group reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by The Boss Group employees.