The Boss Group Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

3.5

CEO

Excellent company: experts at matching employee skills to meet the employer's needs!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Copy Editor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Copy Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Boss Group as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Freelancing, but better--they screen the clients, handle the payroll taxes and billing; you get to work with top-notch clients that respect and utilize your abilities.Lots of great placements, at companies that are doing interesting work. Provides a variety of experiences, long- and short-term as desired, with the safety net of working for an agency that provides excellent pay and access to benefits.

Cons

The only real drawback is that you only work when there is a client who needs you--just like freelancing on your own. In this slow economy, times are tough for everyone.

BOSS Group Not a fair company

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Boss Group as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

When you are on the sidelines with out work they work for you to find you a job and place you!

Cons

Many con's such as 1). They underpay the freelancer below industry standards. 2). When holidays come around around if you want a vacation good luck they don't care. Work 1500 hrs within a 52 week pd, just to get holiday pay? And if you move to another job it starts all over again. 3). If you are unhappy with your present job they refuse to find you something else. 4). they don't work for you when you tell them your ending one job please find me another.

Use a paid time off accumulation. If you work so many hrs, it goes either to vacation holiday sick or personal. Pay a decent wage, my degree cost 80,000 grand. Work for your talent, don't treat them as something to fill a hole.

Great company that truly cares about its people.

I have been working at The Boss Group full-time

Pros

Culture and opportunity for advancement. If you work hard here you will be recognized. Benefits are great too! Very generous vacation time, health benefits are stellar and casual attire.

Cons

No company is perfect. The BOSS Group truly does care about its people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time

I have been working at The Boss Group

Pros

You will have plently of time to look for real work.

Cons

There will be a lot of "carrot dangling" here until you finally realize that these guys are not doing their jobs as recruiters. I'm not even sure if the jobs they claim they have are real. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time.

Don't make the claim of being creative recruiters.

Very helpful in finding a job

I have been working at The Boss Group as a contractor

Pros

Very fast in finding me a position

Cons

I do not have any cons as yet

wonderful staff to do business with!

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Boss Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great matches of talent and companies

Cons

None that I can say

Generally very good, but some substantial changes due to growth

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Boss Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a staffing company that generally has most of the resources of a mid-sized or larger staffing organization, but without some of the downsides you find with the bigger staffing organizations. If you like staffing but want to be in a friendly environment, BOSS is a good option. And while base salaries are very low compared to industry standard, the benefits are exceptional. You get to work on Macs, it's casual dress and you get great time off, including your work anniversary and birthday. Plus the company offers summer hours and a generous loyalty sabbatical for employees with 3+ years of tenure.

Cons

I spent several years at BOSS, in two locations -- one established and one newer office. In both, I've found that the organization is going through a lot of change (mainly due to growth) and in that process, communication across the organization has begun to deteriorate, especially between higher level management and employees. In the future, the regional manger role will hopefully help rectify this but that role adds another layer and does have the possibility of further isolating employees from higher level management. As a result of the breakdown in communication and changes in company culture, there has begun to be high turnover. That's not something you used to find at BOSS, but in the last year, I estimate that a third of the branch employees have left (if not more). And several of those were exceptionally tenured.

Additionally, the company culture is one of the things that generally makes BOSS a solid place to work, but they are struggling to convey that "special something" to new branches. The company really believes in five central values, including employee centricity. While most of the time they are good at embodying those values, things have gotten shaky lately. I could give many examples over the last two years, but most recently I experienced a situation that really felt like a betrayal of those company values and what I came to expect from working at BOSS. Specifically, during my last two years at BOSS, I worked on a draw salary plan. When I put in notice, I was initially told that I would be kept during my two weeks notice so I could help transition my workload and that I would be paid my draw for that transition period. But on day three, the regional manager abruptly let me go and I was told they weren't going to pay me for those three days I'd worked post-notice or the week before (because we are paid a week in arrears). While that is 100% legal because I was on a draw salary plan, my previous staffing employers had always paid out my notice period even when I was on a draw plan. Legality aside, it is morally very gray (especially to keep me for three days if they didn't intend to pay me) and I question the "employee centricity" of the company's actions. I later found out that I was not the only employee who experienced a version of this scenario and that knowledge is what compelled me to write this review.

Work on communication between branches, and employees and upper management. Things have gotten very political and that is negatively impacting employees. Don't change payment plans, job descriptions, etc. without employee buy in (this happens often). Raise base pay and commission structure. For example, Aquent pays $70-90K base and the commission structure is more aggressive.

Excellent company to grow your career and salary. Fun work environment, hands on leadership, caring owners.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at The Boss Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great industry recognition and fun industry to work in, career advancement outlined from the start, lots of opportunity to grow in both sales & recruiting roles, equally valued, as well as opportunity to grow with sister companies and holding company. Low turnover because it's a great place to work. Office environment is fun, lots of activities to keep things motivated.

Cons

You may need to relocate for advancement. Most positions require participation in evening networking activities.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Great place to work, ethical, passionate, caring.

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Boss Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture, its leadership, benefits and the people in general.

Cons

Tough industry, lots of competition in larger markets especially in large national firms.

Invest in lead generating lists, services or other ways to drive business.

Positive people, varied opportunities

Current Employee - Designer  in  Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Designer in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at The Boss Group

Pros

Flexibility, independence, better benefits than other agencies

Cons

limited benefits, sometimes unpredictable work flow

Worked for The Boss Group? Contribute to the Community!