The Bozzuto Group

The Bozzuto Group Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

The Bozzuto Group CEO Tom Bozzuto

Tom Bozzuto

Pros:
  • "Senior management is great at recognizing the entry level sales employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "There is a higher degree of autonomy than at most property management companies"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Working weekends and holidays isn't the greatest but you know that going into it"
    in 16 reviews
  • "If you have a good property manager you may be able to have some more flexibility with scheduling"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful place to begin career

Leasing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat entry level position out of college.

ConsSometimes asked to work weekends/holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build a strong brand based on core values.

At One Point a Great Opportunity, Beware Mass Exodus of Top Tier Veteran Leaders

Property Manager (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerous benefit package, health insurance, vacation, 401k .
At entry level positions treated with respect, and can be a very rewarding career.
Lease apartments, exude excellent customer service skills, and prosper.
Very professional company, can earn a decent income with entry level positions.

ConsIndependent thinking highly discouraged.
Internal politics are borderline discriminatory. Competency is not rewarded, nor is bottom line results.
Drone mentality is rewarded, do not offer up suggestions, opinions, ideas, or try to actually work hard and show it.
Instead, focus energy on being as fake as possible, while not being spotted. Make friends with everyone, smile and nod a lot.
Looking "Cute" is also critical. In fact, Bozzuto only hires people who smile! (This is an actual quote given by upper management to myself.)
If you are a hard working ambitious male, of straight sexual orientation, look elsewhere.
Bozzuto Management is made up of women, and gay men. This is not my opinion, it is fact.
Expect to be discriminated against if you are not very liberal in your political views/outlook.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook cute, play cute, nod a lot and smile. Under no circumstances should you attempt to ask questions, or attempt to improve the property you are managing. Just do as you are told (even if it is completely incompetent, and often is.)
If you are an extrovert, be bubbly, and only exert your energy in "fun" ways.
If you are an introvert, just be meek.
Any professionals with upper management experience should consider better alternatives in the region.
EquityApartments ; AvalonBay Communities, Inc (Archstone) ; GreyStar or Dolben

From bad to worse and worse

Concierge (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDependable work schedule. Beautiful luxury product.

ConsAfter giving of myself, working and serving tirelessly myself and others were thrown away like we were nothing. Poor communication. No ownership for team work. Lies in departments. Lots of gossip, backbitng and betrayal amongst management. If you don't brown nose you will not go very far. If they don't let you in clique you will not go very far. Integrity is included in company values but the company lacks integrity. Corrupt work practices. They shun bright, empowered, independent staff members. I watched staff members go home in tears frequently. Unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet an outside agency audit your files and staff turn-over then you will see who you really are as a company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Property Management

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Experience, Great Management, Great Recognition, Great Work/Life Balance, Competitive Salary with other companies, Promotions (They will come, just work hard), Values of the company

ConsWorking on weekends, bonuses can be dependent on certain factors

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Company is booming in business but not the employees

Sales & Service Associate (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Bozzuto Group part-time for more than a year

ProsPromotions are done within the company
Great work hours as concierge, Sales time are beaten up by the crazy work schedules including weekends
Owners treat their employees well but upper management sucks

ConsThe salaries are very different in the hierarchy. Until you make it into property management you cannot make $50000
The commission for sales is horrible. It is based on the performance of the apartment building. If there are more money spent by the building, then the sales per lease can be as low as $36 for each lease!
It's all girl power here, if you are a man you are alone in a sea of women
Brown-nose to get from one position to another in some properties

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure employee income based on size of the apartment building, responsibilities and achievements.

Excellent Room for Growth

Resident Manager (Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent room for growth and promotion. In less than three full years at the company, I have received numerous promotions from from a Management Intern, to Sales and Service, Assistant Property Manager to Resident Manager. I had numerous opportunities to learn and grow with the company.

ConsThis is not always a 9 to 5 job. You often take home quite a bit of work, and work longer hours than scheduled.

Bait and Switch

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at The Bozzuto Group full-time for less than a year

ProsI thought they had a great team. Thought they had a lot of room for me to grow.

ConsWas hired to do one job, and after I started was told I would be something in which I had no skill set. After a few weeks, I was fired for "Poor Performance" after getting a high score on my evaluation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you hire for what you truly need, and don't tell an employee he's REQUIRED to work over 60 hours a week.

A proven group of strong professionals willing to assist in my personal growth and work/life balance

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Bozzuto Group full-time for less than a year

ProsWork/Life Balance
Outstanding Work Product
Open to new ideas
Excellent Reputation

ConsEducation reimbursement is lower than others

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support the professionals within thbe organization to maintain high-caliber of work

Amazing experience!

Sales & Service Associate (Former Employee)
Laurel, MD

I worked at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than a year

Pros-Balance of work/life schedule
-Great training
-Exemplifies core values
-Great properties through out the east coast
-Opportunity to grow and network
-GREAT employee appreciation events!
-Competitive pay

ConsThe company as a whole is truly wonderful, I cannot say enough positive things about Bozzuto. If you are placed in the right community with the right group of people you have a great chance of being successful in the industry. Unfortunately, their are some properties that lack the companies values and mission statement and honestly respect for basic human decency.
HR seems to only be in the interested of upper management only.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp some of your property managers re evaluate Bozzuto's mission statement.

My experience at Bozzuto was a learning experience

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Bozzuto Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSince the Bozzuto Group has various companies you have a good chance of finding a position that you like. You also have benefits and steady income.

ConsWhen the time comes for a promotion or raise your involved in the political dance of reviews which are basically predetermined before you sit down for them in most cases. Your also unable to bring your spouse to company functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the mid level managers deter your employees and distort your companies’ vision and values. Value your employees. They make your company what it is.

Worked for The Bozzuto Group? Contribute to the Community!

The Bozzuto Group Videos

The Bozzuto Group – Why Work for Us?

Best Places to Work We are honored that the Washington Business Journal named us one of the “Best Places to Work” in the greater Washington, D.C. area six times and five years in a row… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Bozzuto Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Bozzuto Group CEO Tom Bozzuto. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by The Bozzuto Group employees.