The Breakaway Group

Updated August 18, 2014
2.6

The Breakaway Group Managing Director at The Breakaway Group Dr. Heather Haugen
Dr. Heather Haugen

Great experience here. I excel when facing challenges in my work.

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients who really need help and dedicated guidance, great culture with lots of fun people who push themselves to do the most (both professionally and personally through volunteering, running side companies, raising families, writing books, etc.), merit based company that values what you do not how long you work there, organization comfortable with change (I hate when companies become stale and change averse), cool office space, willingness to hire less experienced people early in careers (its hard to find a job out there), fast paced work schedule (not a lot of time to be bored browsing Facebook or Twitter).

Cons

Normal issues around a growing business recently acquired by a large conglomerate. Some things seem out of the companies control around speed, timing, or communication.

Keep pushing forward with the mission and culture of the company around the clients and allow the truly stand out people to grow. So far this has been a core to my time here.

Great environment

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. The culture at The Breakaway Group is unlike anywhere else. Everyone genuinely cares about one another. The office is modern, which also helps create a great working environment.

There's a lot of opportunity to give back to the community. It's rewarding to know that the work you're doing helps save lives.

It's a fun place to work with foosball tournaments, ugly sweater contests, birthday cubicle decorations, jeans Friday, chili cook-offs, rock, paper, scissors tournaments, and much more.

Cons

Over the years, opportunities for necessary change regarding the company's product and design slowly come about, but it does seem to be headed in the right direction.

Although career paths and opportunity for growth is better than what it was in the past, more work regarding these items still needs to be done. It would be nice for there to be more communication about what management sees as future career paths for current employees.

Fun activities don't make up for lack of clear path for advancement or growth.

Current Employee - Operations Team Member in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Team Member in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Employees are generally nice and care about each other
    • Several volunteer opportunities a year
    • Coworkers are amazingly supportive and willing to help each other out with work, personal lives, etc.
    • Picnics in the Park, Chili Cook-offs, Potlucks - activities where we all gather together are appreciated
    • Managing Director cares about each employee and is very open to questions
    • Allowing internal employees to coordinate the effort to rebrand the company
    • Our office is very nice and conducive to interacting with coworkers

Cons

• Few opportunities for advancement or growth, especially within Operations
    • Tend to over-promise work to our clients, making employees work extremely long hours under high stress to deliver on unrealistic deadlines
    • Was promised "Achievement Based Compensation" after being hired by Xerox, but have yet to see this
    implemented
    • Certificate program implemented that seems like it was created just to make the company look good doesn't really help employees grow in any way other than memorizing TBG's methodology
    • Many of the managers have no idea what Ops team members do and are unaware of our updated workflows
    • Poor and inconsistent training for Instructional Designers and Instructional Writers - the way they are trained is outdated and generally not how we actually do things anymore
    • Our solution is extremely outdated - for a technology company, our product, especially the communities and courseware design, is old, dated, and we are not keeping up with trends
    • Employees have cool ideas and skills to update/design new materials, but these skills are underused or we are not given the time to improve our products
    • Newer employees leave early and are not team players - leaving work to be finished by those who actually work 8-5 (our business hours)
    • Sometimes "healthy culture" is taken too far and becomes preachy
    • Multimedia Developers are required to use their own laptops and own Adobe Creative Suite software for design projects, as they are not given the software on their work computers

• Provide more direct opportunities for growth and advancement. I have asked my manager what I can do or need to accomplish to advance, but they did not have an answer.
    • Update our courseware and communities so we look professional and not outdated and stuffy

Great people, great culture, fast-paced industry

Current Employee - Instructional Writer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Instructional Writer in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working at TBG is the people. Everyone is smart, friendly, and eager to help out. Employees often talk about each other as family rather than co-workers. The company promise, to leave more than you take, is embodied in each of its employees. TBG also focuses on fostering a healthy culture, with annual healthy challenges and a bright new office space designed to encourage collaboration.

Healthcare technology is an industry with constant growth and change. TBG is at the forefront of this change with a unique approach to IT adoption that is supported by years of research and successful go lives.

Cons

Due to the nature of EHR implementation, most projects have short deadlines and ever-changing timelines that can be difficult to manage. Employees must be able to adapt to days with little client work followed by a rush to meet deadlines for go live.

Work can be repetitive, and it sometimes seems like there is little room for employee growth or movement within the organization.

As the company becomes more integrated with Xerox, it feels as though some of its unique culture is being lost.

Clearer communication of opportunities for employees to improve both within and outside of their roles.

Bring back more fun events to revive company culture and positive morale

A very good place to work!

Current Employee - Instructional Writer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Instructional Writer in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The reasons I enjoy working for TBG:
    *The culture: we promote a "healthy" culture that encourages and rewards employees for exercising, eating healthy, and doing good things for the community.
    *The office: a beautiful, professionally designed work space where nearly everyone has a view out the window at the mountains or the DTC area.
    *The opportunities: as a small, but growing company, there are opportunities to grow and be challenged. This was not always the case, but management is now starting to realize the talent that exists within the workforce and they are encouraging people to stretch themselves.
    *The CEO: The managing director, Dr. Heather Haugen, is down-to-earth and connected with the employees. She responds to emails, knows everyone (80+ people) by name, and personally (as in, walks over to your desk) congratulates or offers condolances to employees when circumstances arise.
    *The Promise: The TBG "Promise" to "leave more than we take" permeates everything we do. It is more than a trite motto written on the wall; it is a real company value that people take seriously.

Cons

Because we are "governed" by Xerox, some policies and procedures are a bit cumbersome and outdated. The time off and sick policies are awkward (can't take sick hours, only whole days, for example) and not very generous. However, management works with you as much as possible to help. The pay is average.

Keep listening to the employees and keep giving us opportunities to use the talents we bring to better the company.

Had little direction and even less inspiration.

Former Employee - Interactive Art Director in Glenwood Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Interactive Art Director in Glenwood Springs, CO

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of my coworkers were decent and nice.

Cons

I was the first hire in the media department, and I expected to have some input on future hires but I did not. Ended up having socially awkward teammates. And then they shut the local media department down a year later and moved it out of state - what a waste of my time.

Jul 24, 2014learning and development manager

We actually didn't move the media department out of state or have a title of Interactive Art Director. But to address the coworker situation, we do try our best to hire those who will fit our culture ... More

Motivation Required

Current Employee - Client Facing in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - Client Facing in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People listen, we have an open-door policy, I feel like my opinion matters, I've also seen and experienced room for advancement - takes motivation!

Cons

We make clients a priority and no day is never the same as another. Challenging, yes. Learning opportunity with our workload - yes.

When we have time to plan and meet with everyone it's great. Client work and challenges can push things to the side and I wish that didn't have to happen.

Good but mostly bad.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company for learning tricks of the trade, and breaking into the world or instructional design, technical writing, and multimedia development. However, it's almost entirely a lesson in what not to do. Everyone is nice, but upper management is unbearably fake as other posts suggest. However, it is still a nice, new work environment. I wish I had more pros to say but the whole place felt like being on a sinking ship. Very high employee turn over rate.

Cons

The pay is appalling. Don't expect to be compensated fairly. It's a small friendly group of employees and most everyone knows what everyone else makes. I discovered that people hired after me, that I trained, who had less experience and skills than I do actually made more than me. That was enough for me to leave the company. After I left, I immediately found work that paid 4 times what I was making, for doing half the amount of work. The Breakaway Group is simply a popularity contest. The good looking client facing employees get promoted, because in the end they are just selling a worthless product that most of their clients hate with a passion. Management treats work force like children and would rather reward them with play days in the park than actually compensating them what they are worth. Only look for work here if you are desperate and don't care about how much you're paid or how you are treated.

The staff is bitter, over worked, underpaid, and many people are looking for other work but having a hard time getting out. Most are afraid to be honest on employee surveys because of how quickly and frequently people are fired around there. It doesn't seem like you even know what you're selling, and have let greed become the business model. Your employees need to be paid and hate seeing money that should be theirs spent on lavish award ceremonies and a giant, extremely expensive new office that is primarily vacant. Actually listen to their advice and suggestions instead of taking it personally and continuing down the same downward spiral.

May 28, 2014learning and development manager

Our employee retention rate is high and above industry standard. We strive for competitive pay based on skills, experience, bench marking data, and internal equity. We work hard but also enjoy some ... More

Faked pleasant atmosphere, but ruthless to employees behind the scenes.

I worked at The Breakaway Group full-time

Pros

Nice new offices. Average 40 hour weeks. CEO had a very nice wood table installed in the kitchen that he showed off all the time.

Cons

Everything was about looks. Shiny offices and strict dress code, but senior management were specious. Acted very "fake friendly", but would threaten your job if it suited their immediate needs. Totally haphazard projects and chaos behind the façade.

Do more than be fake nice to employees. Try caring about them for real.

May 28, 2014learning and development manager

It's true that we are proud of our professional and recently renovated office. We participated in a workplace performance index survey that shows the effect of a positive physical environment on ... More

Clients and applicants - go in another direction.

Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Breakaway Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New office space - but the job satisfaction is so poor that office space really doesn't compensate.

Cons

No opportunity for professional growth. Mundane work. Lies about salary and job description. Cult-like environment. Manipulative leadership. Worst salary and benefits a company has ever offered me. Healthy culture no longer exists.
    These are some of my observations during my time at TBG:
    -Employees were reprimanded for not attending the annual company party. Each of these ---An employee had to give up a week of approved vacation time during the holidays because TBG over-promised work to a client.
    -Resources pulled from small-account client projects and assigned to large-account clients. As a result, the small-account clients do not receive what was promised.
    -The Chief of Staff called an employee "manipulative" for scheduling her last day so she would not have a lapse in insurance coverage.
    -Several c- and director-level positions cut with merger with Xerox.
    -Failure to train staff.
    -Termination of valuable employees for not conforming
    -Salary increases are promised annually. These compensation increases have never happened. (Q1 2013, anyone???)
    -Graduates from the Art Institute are hired for their creative ability, but assigned to work that is 95% copy-paste.
    -"Staff updates" are sent out every time an employee is terminated (at least monthly). A great example of fear-based management.

Start living The Promise that you are so proud of. Stop lying to your staff and over-promising to your clients. Invest in, listen to, and trust your employees. Stop demeaning and belittling the Operations team. Bring back the Healthy Culture.
    You like to cite Jim Collins, right? Time to read "How the Mighty Fall."

May 28, 2014learning and development manager

We seek to promote within and provide growth opportunities to employees based on performance and merit. Recently, several employees have been promoted and others have received senior role ... More

The Breakaway Group Photos