The Breakers Reviews

3.5
Wayne Perdue

1. Bartender

I worked at The Breakers

Pros

Great benefits, very well organized, good training

Cons

micro managed, not as much money in tips as expected, complicated process of collecting server tippet

2. Great Place to Start Your Career

Former Employee - Bungalow Concierge in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Bungalow Concierge in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is very in depth, you feel very confident in your abilities when training is completed. Management is helpful and they are always willing to discuss ideas for process improvements. The team is overall very friendly team oriented.

Cons

The guests can be insane with off the wall requests. Pay is overall lower then other career options, especially for the amount of work/long hours.

Advice to Management

this team needs to be paid better!

3. Wonderful Experience

I have been working at The Breakers

Pros

If you can handle our guests, you can handle any. Challenging experience but you benefit from it. There are chances to grow if you work hard enough. Plenty of opportunity to try out different departments and see where you best fit.

Cons

No cons, I have been here for over 2 years and am very satisfied.

5. lmt

I worked at The Breakers

Pros

pay, benefits, paid time off, nice view

Cons

demanding guests that demean, mid level and upper management form cliques supporting each other even when incompetent

Advice to Management

just be honest to your employees

6. A wonderful experience!!

Former Employee - Guest Services Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a one of a kind family that I hope to return to soon! The hotel is beautiful inside and out and the staff that is hired at The Breakers is selected very carefully, so that everyone knows how to work with each other!

Cons

No cons that I can think of to mention, it really has been my favorite employment venue.

Advice to Management

No advice to management, my department was wonderful during my time at the company, I'm thankful for my positive experience working at The Breakers.

7. Nothing but the best.

I have been working at The Breakers

Pros

Amazing management with true attention to detail. Family-owned and operated. Great training and opportunity for growth!

Cons

It's hospitality, so you don't get much time off.

8. Dissatisfying employment experience

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My direct colleagues were all great to work for. Just a good group of young professionals that saw eye-to-eye on most issues that went on in the facility. The Ocean Fitness gym I worked in is a beautiful facility with all brand new equipment that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. The employee cafeteria is awesome and has great food at a good price.

Cons

I was mislead in my interview process about the hours I would work, my job responsibilities, and the alleged "waiting list" of clients I would have coming on board as a new personal trainer. I was forced to work shifts on days I told them I was unavailable (Sunday) so I did to be a team player. Also, instead of putting me on personal trainer shifts, I was regularly scheduled "Facilities" shifts that consist of gym maintenance and clean up which require you to either open at 5:30am or close at 9pm. This became a regular occurrence because they are short-staffed but apparently they thought I wasn't a team player even though I covered these shifts and came in earlier than scheduled. The pay structure for highly qualified trainers is below what it should be: $14/hr plus 20% commission of the service price. You would seem to think that a luxury resort would have a higher commission rate for a $100, 50-minute training session. The clientele is not ideal for the most part because some are old and some are just self-entitled. Some people liked to train but most really didn't. Since the facility is new, there is a lot of micro-managing that takes place by people that don't know how to run a gym nor have the credentials to do so. There were specific TV channels that were supposed to be on at specific hours FFS. The chain of command there is really confusing: whatever the hotel GMP says, goes and the trickles down to the spa director, then to the spa supervisor, then to us. I'm just very disappointed in my experience with The Breakers since the company has such a big name. I was forced to resign because apparently I'm "arrogant" and not a team player. But hey what do I know?

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to judge your employees. Take time to get to know them so you can develop an understanding rather than a miscommunication. That is true leadership and management skills.

9. Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Fsa
    Former Employee - Fsa

I worked at The Breakers part-time

Pros

Great training, clean very well kept enviroment. Tons of employee engagement opportunities, upper management are very respectable

Cons

Very "entitled"customers, long hours, very strict facial hair rules

10. Employees are not guests

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Breakers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and the facilities are great. If you are not looking to advance your career this place is for you.

Cons

The hotel hierarchy is very political. Moving up through the company is based more on demographics of employee (race, education, appearance, background, wealth, upbringing) and not a meritocracy. Turnover is high for this reason. Company has a real hard time making decisions and moving into the future.

Advice to Management

Promote your top players and not those who look the role.

Management is just as bad as the suck up guests.

Former Employee - Guest Relations Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Relations Coordinator in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at The Breakers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Money, fun colleagues for the most part, beautiful hotel

Cons

Not worth the stress, overtime, no work life balance. They take advantage of employees.

Advice to Management

Don't promote your friends or people you sleep with, people notice these things and it creates a hostile & resentful environment with no respect.

RSS Feed </> Embed