The Brick Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Jim Caldwell

Pros
  • Working at the Brick was super fun, good training, good schedule , good benefits easy to move up if you want to (in 2 reviews)

• Generous commission structure, if you know how you're paid you can do very well (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is some what challenged (in 3 reviews)

• Safety risk (depending on where you work), lack of empathy towards lower level employees (in 2 reviews)

1. It was bad before but has gotten worse since Leon's owns it now.

Current Employee - Truck/Lorry Driver in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Truck/Lorry Driver in Ontario, CA

I have been working at The Brick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount on merchandise and benefits

Cons

Very stressful atmosphere, managers are no help, they just think about getting stuff sold and reaching their monthly quota so they can get their bonuses at the end of the month and screwing customers over with poor customer service. Lots of favoritism and gossip like no other workplace I've ever been too, pretty much like high school. Wouldn't recommend working at the brick at all or buying from them. Once I find another job, I am gone in a second, I won't even give them 2 weeks notice because of the stress they brought upon me at the workplace.

2. Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at The Brick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work life balance, especially if you have a family. MANGERS are willing to accommodate the requests. Provides one of the best training in the industry

Cons

Benefits are expensive, compared to another industries. Preferential treatment to top writers and on going training is minimal.

Advice to Management

Better health benefits and reduce the cost for employees. Treat each employee with respect.

3. furniture sales

I worked at The Brick

Pros

if you like dealing with different kinds of people then you might as well give it a shot. never know, you might like it

Cons

strictly commission. you get a draw 1st check of the month then have to pay it back last check of the month

Advice to Management

none. get a better pay plan

5. good for student

I worked at The Brick

Pros

fun people to work with, no stress

Cons

not enough money long days

Advice to Management

let it be

6. Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Brick

Pros

Great atmosphere, Clean and well organized enviroment, Managers allow flexible schedule.

Cons

Very boring, May only get a few chances a day to sell, Not a team environment, pay is low.

Advice to Management

Need at least 4 weeks payed training program on products and POS systems.
    Sales scooping must stop...

7. The Brick Richmondhill, Ontario Canada

Current Employee - Sales Associate the Brick in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate the Brick in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaving this place !! It was like HELL

Cons

Everything - THE Brick try's to not pay there employees by having them not clock in and work long hours only to make commission.Managers treat employees like ( crap ) and have no self respect for there staff". The word I'll fire you is said more then a few times on a daily to employees. We are forced to lie to customers - about return policy's / exchange policy's. " The brick " gives Canada, an extremely bad name. The fact the Brick takes advantage of inexperienced customers and people of different races is straight out embarrassing on so many levels.my prediction is this company will be the next "target " and be bank rupt because it's building a very bad name for it self both from customers and employees.i've never been so ashamed to work for a company until I worked at the brick. This company makes you question who you are as a person and why you would want to work for such a dishonest company such as "The Brick" richmondhill. managers add PPP on to the customers bills once the customers turns his back! Then the customers receives a nasty charge monthly to there bill. An added charge they were not even sure would be charge .i have to rank Jim Caldwell a negative based on the fact he has lost control over his company by allow this sort of behaviours to happen. The Brick - richmondhill needs to fire upper management and hire real professionals.

Advice to Management

My advice to stock holders - I advise you to choose educated managers to run your companies before your the next " target "

8. What training? (WAREHOUSE)

Former Employee - Warehouse/Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Merchandiser

I worked at The Brick

Pros

None. My pro was walking out.

The place made me appreciate my first job even more and how they (prev employer) put new employees in a position to succeed and learn. I can't say the same about The Brick.

Cons

No training whatsoever. You get a bunch of work thrown your way that you're expected to know on the spot and when you ask questions you're talked down to. I don't know how to learn anything by sitting in a room for hours doing nothing but little stands. For the work, I was underpaid...big time. Especially compared to competitors like IKEA, who apparently pay their employees around $15/hr.

Eventually, this led to me walking out a week after I started because it was ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Does anyone even read or listen to this part? Have proper training. Pay people a suitable amount for the work they do. But, most of all, PROPER TRAINING.

9. sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good commission if your are a good closer u can make good money depend on the traffic which location you work ,sometimes it depressing if u don't sell and others selling .

Cons

To much pressure on warranty attachment ,and payment protection plans on the store credit card ,commission on builder products like small fridge and stove washer dryer has good margin but commission to low.somedays there are no customer only time waster ,person who's wife gone to dentist will come and ask you questions and prices and then say can i have your business card and waste your time .

Advice to Management

Not everyone can afford the expensive warranty ,i am sure none of managers or regional managers directors have payment protection on their credit cards and they force others to have it .increase the commission on some products .

10. Nightmare

Former Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and smart enough, you can earn a lot of commission. But if there is no traffic, you can only earn less.

Cons

Commission sale always comes with the conflicts, the relations between coworkers are too nervous. Some of the managers do not respect staffs.

Advice to Management

Management system is simple but bad , could be very dangerous if no improvement in future.

11. sales consultant

I have been working at The Brick

Pros

flexible and peace of mind and great customer service experience

Cons

commission job so one has to work hard to make money

Advice to Management

NA

RSS Feed </> Embed