The Brick Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
51 reviews filtered by
2.5
Jim Caldwell

Pros
  • nice place to work, good commission paid, good training (in 2 reviews)

• Working at the Brick was super fun, good training, good schedule , good benefits easy to move up if you want to (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance leaves much to be desired (in 3 reviews)

• Safety risk (depending on where you work), lack of empathy towards lower level employees (in 2 reviews)

1. It was bad before but has gotten worse since Leon's owns it now.

Current Employee - Truck/Lorry Driver in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Truck/Lorry Driver in Ontario, CA

I have been working at The Brick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

employee discount on merchandise and benefits

Cons

Very stressful atmosphere, managers are no help, they just think about getting stuff sold and reaching their monthly quota so they can get their bonuses at the end of the month and screwing customers over with poor customer service. Lots of favoritism and gossip like no other workplace I've ever been too, pretty much like high school. Wouldn't recommend working at the brick at all or buying from them. Once I find another job, I am gone in a second, I won't even give them 2 weeks notice because of the stress they brought upon me at the workplace.

2. The Brick Richmondhill, Ontario Canada

Current Employee - Sales Associate the Brick in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate the Brick in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaving this place !! It was like HELL

Cons

Everything - THE Brick try's to not pay there employees by having them not clock in and work long hours only to make commission.Managers treat employees like ( crap ) and have no self respect for there staff". The word I'll fire you is said more then a few times on a daily to employees. We are forced to lie to customers - about return policy's / exchange policy's. " The brick " gives Canada, an extremely bad name. The fact the Brick takes advantage of inexperienced customers and people of different races is straight out embarrassing on so many levels.my prediction is this company will be the next "target " and be bank rupt because it's building a very bad name for it self both from customers and employees.i've never been so ashamed to work for a company until I worked at the brick. This company makes you question who you are as a person and why you would want to work for such a dishonest company such as "The Brick" richmondhill. managers add PPP on to the customers bills once the customers turns his back! Then the customers receives a nasty charge monthly to there bill. An added charge they were not even sure would be charge .i have to rank Jim Caldwell a negative based on the fact he has lost control over his company by allow this sort of behaviours to happen. The Brick - richmondhill needs to fire upper management and hire real professionals.

Advice to Management

My advice to stock holders - I advise you to choose educated managers to run your companies before your the next " target "

3. What training? (WAREHOUSE)

Former Employee - Warehouse/Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Merchandiser

I worked at The Brick

Pros

None. My pro was walking out.

The place made me appreciate my first job even more and how they (prev employer) put new employees in a position to succeed and learn. I can't say the same about The Brick.

Cons

No training whatsoever. You get a bunch of work thrown your way that you're expected to know on the spot and when you ask questions you're talked down to. I don't know how to learn anything by sitting in a room for hours doing nothing but little stands. For the work, I was underpaid...big time. Especially compared to competitors like IKEA, who apparently pay their employees around $15/hr.

Eventually, this led to me walking out a week after I started because it was ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Does anyone even read or listen to this part? Have proper training. Pay people a suitable amount for the work they do. But, most of all, PROPER TRAINING.

5. sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good commission if your are a good closer u can make good money depend on the traffic which location you work ,sometimes it depressing if u don't sell and others selling .

Cons

To much pressure on warranty attachment ,and payment protection plans on the store credit card ,commission on builder products like small fridge and stove washer dryer has good margin but commission to low.somedays there are no customer only time waster ,person who's wife gone to dentist will come and ask you questions and prices and then say can i have your business card and waste your time .

Advice to Management

Not everyone can afford the expensive warranty ,i am sure none of managers or regional managers directors have payment protection on their credit cards and they force others to have it .increase the commission on some products .

6. Nightmare

Former Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and smart enough, you can earn a lot of commission. But if there is no traffic, you can only earn less.

Cons

Commission sale always comes with the conflicts, the relations between coworkers are too nervous. Some of the managers do not respect staffs.

Advice to Management

Management system is simple but bad , could be very dangerous if no improvement in future.

7. sales consultant

I have been working at The Brick

Pros

flexible and peace of mind and great customer service experience

Cons

commission job so one has to work hard to make money

Advice to Management

NA

8. It was a pleasant working environment with very friendly, helpful staff.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to gain a lot of knowledge in the furniture industry and also in interior design. Working for the Brick allowed me the opportunity to strengthen my skill set such as handling large amounts of cash, and It familiarized me with the process of creating bank deposit slips. This job also gave me the opportunity to build excellent rapports with every customer that gave me the satisfaction and assurance of knowing I provided each individual with optimal service.

Cons

I found I was not getting enough hours and we were never provided with the necessary staples(pens/sticky notes,workable staplers etc.). This put more pressure on us as we were running around the office in hopes to find these things. Also training was very limited, resulting in aggravation implemented on fellow employees as they had to train new recruiters on top of their already busy work day. Communication needed some work, especially on the manager's part. In addition, I felt as though Brick employees with authority did whatever they could to avoid confrontation, leaving the customer confused and angry.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to focus not just solely 90% on sales, leaving only 10% on Customer Service. They should work on the organization of monthly target layouts and incorporate more focus on how we service the customer once they have the product in their home.

9. Avoid

Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER

I have been working at The Brick

Pros

The money is good. People you work with can be great

Cons

Upper management does not value you. Turnover is high. Long hours. No balance of life. Too obsessed. Too many shady people. Deceitful with warranty

Advice to Management

Treat sales staff with respect. You might be surprised. Happy employees are more productive.

Excellent learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at The Brick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you meet and interact with hundreds of customers and in the process you can develop your interpersonal skills .
    you will learn about so many diverse cultures in canada . good learning place for your future jobs. good place to start a career.

Cons

long hours make work life balance difficult.

Advice to Management

be more accepting for slow performers .

Too many hours of work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Brick full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family like atmosphere...until someone steals your commission. ; )

Cons

Commission has become less during the years due to all the marketing they do constantly. Do not suggest at all to work part-time if you plan on making any money. Saturday and Sundays are a must! Takes a lot out of a person.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Treat everyone fairly, as long as they work hard and don't slack off that is. Words go with the wind...show your appreciation of hard work in PAY or BONUS!

The Brick Photos