The Bridge

Updated August 26, 2014
2.8

Barbara Hayes
1 Rating

The Bridge is a fantastic place to work with helping the homeless.

I worked at The Bridge

Pros

You can work with homeless people everyday to assist them from getting off the streets back into life!

Cons

Upper Management is in need to turnover. They need help with policies and procedures and supporting their employees.

Resign

The Bridge pay their residential counselors and case manager nothing because they look at us as a dime a dozen.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bridge full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the clients are great to be around

Cons

the pay makes us all want to either quit or go on strike

pay your employees correctly. its suppose to be pay based of level of housing and that is not the case. Staff hasn't had a raise in four years. and stop looking down on the residential counselor because they do most of the hard work and give us back out staff appreciation party back we haven't had one of them in about 5 years. also management needs to stop letting their staff try to grow because of their personal feelings towards them. Stop looking at the residential counselor and case manager as just a dime a dozen (as the human resource department calls us)

Great Benefits from 1199 union. Zero salary and/or pay increases

Current Employee - Residence Counselor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Residence Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bridge full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great warm staff, benefits and job stability

Cons

very very very low salary, have not had a salary increase in years, add on a lot of tasks for no pay increases. Trainings are mandatory however, no salary increase for completion.

I believe management should give regular salary increases. Night differential should be given to all night staff. Getting a bachelors or masters degree should allow for higher salary not $250 increase on your annual salary for associates degree and $500 increase on your annual salary for bachelors. No increase for masters dependent on position. More diverse employees. Higher standards for employment. Senior staff should be employed with more than just GED's there are no high standards for this position. Area directors should have more than a bachelors degree in unrelated fields. There are quite often times where staff in senior positions are brought into the agency with little or absolutely no experience because of a friend that is currently employed. Managers in the residences are not closely monitored and also bring their friends and family into the agency with no experience.

A great place to start a career and learn basic skills of Case Manager working with people with mental illness

Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Bridge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to move up within the company

Cons

Low pay rate , company doesnt pay into many of the 1199 offered programs.

Best Social service agency in the area

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Worcester, MA

I have been working at The Bridge

Pros

excellent training, good benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

not too many cons, I suppose pay could be better, but in line with the field

Frustrating organization, but occasionally rewarding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Bridge

Pros

The Bridge has a fantastic mission and focus on serving teens in Georgia. I truly enjoyed working with the kids, sponsors and the staff.

Cons

In the past two years, The Bridge has been unable to respond appropriately to state legislative changes in human services. It might not be the right direction to go in, but the organization has little to no control over these circumstances.

My advice would be to look strongly at where the state is moving in health and human services and seek out opportunities in that arena as opposed to hanging on to an antiquated model.