The British Army Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.6

The British Army Chief of the General Staff Sir Peter Wall
Sir Peter Wall

Pros
  • Friendship, Knowledge Skills, Security and friends for life (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits, sense of purpose, opportunities, adventure training, courses, transferrable skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Separation from family and friends (in 9 reviews)

• Time away from family and friends can be difficult, especially if you have kids (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Officer - A fantastic experience, MoD needs to do more to retain talent.

Former Employee - Captain
    Former Employee - Captain

I worked at The British Army full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Life Experience
    - Personal Development (Soft Skills)
    - Leadership opportunities
    - Regimental Culture

Cons

- Hard skills rarely transfer to civilian life
    - Those in command are often not specialists in their roles (2-4yr postings)
    - Bureaucratic, inefficient processes
    - Utilises outdated IT

Find ways to keep talent. If the military does not compete with their civilian counterparts then the drain of experienced talent will leave an ineffective hierarchy in the long run. Ensure physical and professional standards; most officers are disappointed by the general state of military fitness and operational readiness. Make the military more cool (seems ridiculous) but a soldier would rather drive a Panther CLV than a Land Rover, or a Mastiff rather than a Foxhound.

The opportunity to gain values

I worked at The British Army

Pros

Great place to work and grow as an individual with a melting pot of people from across the globe

Cons

To much politics. Not much room for second chances in terms of being injured.

Have some balls and speak up for the men and women who defends this great nation politicians are to know exactly what time it is

good starter

Former Employee - Army Captain
    Former Employee - Army Captain

I worked at The British Army full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good job security - well as long as you have a decent contract
    Lots of extra curricular activities available and you keep fit in your job.
    Lots of job options to gain experience

Cons

Travel and needs of the Army come first.
    Can't plan your life more than a few months ahead.
    As an officer you will eventually end up behind a desk.
    Pay - good to start but you may find managers of equivalent role in other jobs overtaking you as you are time barred at rank.

Plan ahead better- not always possible, but there are too many times when you could have.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adventiourous

Former Employee - Air Dispatcher  in  Deepcut, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Air Dispatcher in Deepcut, England (UK)

I worked at The British Army full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travelling is around the world is at your disposal except for the fact that the places you go to are not always friendly and remember that it's not a holiday trip.

Cons

It becomes very difficult when one wants to settle down and have plenty of time for you family because most of the times you are on standby ready for deployment anywhere in the world and risks in the army are always 100% high. It is a risky job.

None

Challenging, ever-changing and many opportunities.

I have been working at The British Army full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent training - leadership and management.
    Travel to world destinations (not always hospitable though!).
    Like-minded peers, good social life.

Cons

Moving every two years, often to somewhere that isn't your first choice.
    Can be limited career choices depending on branch / rank.

it has thought me a lot in terms of working in different condition to become a professional trained soldier.

I have been working at The British Army

Pros

we work as a family with different ideas.

Cons

there are a lot of challenges here as in any company. we have to meet our time frame prior to excersice and works are to be of higher standard at all times and there is a respect for each other in respective of ranks.

time keeping is essential and they should make sure that product are of high standard and quality.

A rewarding stimulating and exiting career with considerable variety, challenge and sense of fulfillment

Current Employee - Colonel  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Colonel in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at The British Army full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The quality of the people is the greatest asset of the British Army. The training training is good and the equipment is getting much better. The values of the organisation, the opportunities for development and promotion and the leadership and team working culture are first rate.

Cons

The impact on family, in particular the disruption to childrens' education, the frequent separation and the impact on spouse/partner's ability to pursue a career. Until recently the level of commitment has reduced the Army's capacity to prepare for future contingencies and placed a heavy load on the current generation in deployable units.

Give greater consideration to family requirements

Great opportunities and people however not the most flexible.

Current Employee - British Army Captain  in  Bulford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - British Army Captain in Bulford, England (UK)

I have been working at The British Army full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent training. Brilliant culture and working life. The pay, holiday and benefits are top level too. Operational tours and conducting your trade in a high impact situation are an amazing opportunity.

Cons

Uncertainty as to where in the country you will be posted to or be doing in the long term. Flexibility is required from you but not given to you.

The more specialist roles need more certainty and better management. Some Corps are very poorly managed for their Soldier and Officer Careers. Where it comes to technical elements the army needs to appoint staff officers with technical capability. SO1s and above are making IT decisions that are fundamentally wrong and failing the army.

I enjoyed a great 24 year career, was exposed to many challenging roles and had the responsibility to think for myself

Former Employee - Training Major  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Training Major in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at The British Army full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The security of the job and made lots of very good friends for life. The values the army work by are ones I have worked and lived by even though I have left. plenty of chances to self develop and further your career

Cons

Having to go away for long periods at short notice, presently lots of people are being made redundant and moral is low within the ranks

Listen to those who are at the coal face, reservists are simply not up to the job as I could not carry out their roles 100% effectively if I was not doing them full time.

Challenging, exciting and frustrating in equal measure - a great institution strangled by red tape.

Current Employee - Captain  in  Salisbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Captain in Salisbury, England (UK)

I have been working at The British Army full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Above average pay, ample leave and late starts/early finishes, subsidised accommodation and food and free healthcare. Excellent camaraderie and friends for life. The chance to travel to exciting and dangerous locations (if you get lucky). Time to keep fit and do sport and adventurous training (opportunity reduces as rank increases). Great responsibility from the off and a brilliant foundation in leadership and management. Paid training, education and professional development. Honourable traditions and the X factor. Job stability, steadily rising salary and good pension. Provision of massively subsidised housing and education for families and dependents. Life experience that cannot be gained in any other line of work. If I had my time again I would not change my decision to join.

Cons

Crippling bureaucracy, promotion based more on time served than on merit or effort, over-reliance on poorly negotiated civilian contracts. Excessive aversion to risk and adherence to Health and Safety culture. Pressure to meet recruitment and training targets leads to more and more soldiers arriving at Units unfit to soldier. Soft discipline policy leaves commanders struggling to fight growing civilianised day-job mindset at odds with the Army's ethos, and pockets of drug abuse. Inability to introduce functional overarching IT solution leads to countless hours wasted replicating information on spreadsheets and databases that do not interact with one another. Poor and untimely dissemination of information about postings, cuts and deployments feeds the rumour mill leading to dissent.

Stand up to the government and do not accept their inadequate solutions to issues like the reservist recruitment crisis. Stop handing out contracts to incompetent external organisations. The Army is overstretched and soldiers do not understand the rationale behind the new employment model, especially when they see flashy television adverts about the reservist benefits they are not entitled to. Regular soldiers often work alongside reservists who are paid several times as much for the same job because the Army matches their civilian salary. Value your employees and stop chasing promotion. Some of the best commanders I have come across are those who know they have reached their promotion ceiling because they stop working to quotas and mindless directives and start working for their subordinates. The mass exodus of disillusioned young leaders of all ranks is well underway. Can you stop it before the Army becomes a husk of its former self manned by unimaginative career-obsessed autocrats?

Worked for The British Army? Contribute to the Community!