The British Army

The British Army Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

The British Army Chief of the General Staff Sir Peter Wall

Sir Peter Wall

Pros
  • Friendship, Knowledge Skills, Security and friends for life (in 5 reviews)

• Benefits, sense of purpose, opportunities, adventure training, courses, transferrable skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Separation from family and friends (in 9 reviews)

• Time away from family and friends can be difficult, especially if you have kids (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, ever-changing and many opportunities.

ProsExcellent training - leadership and management.
    Travel to world destinations (not always hospitable though!).
    Like-minded peers, good social life.

ConsMoving every two years, often to somewhere that isn't your first choice.
    Can be limited career choices depending on branch / rank.

The opportunity to gain values

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work and grow as an individual with a melting pot of people from across the globe

ConsTo much politics. Not much room for second chances in terms of being injured.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some balls and speak up for the men and women who defends this great nation politicians are to know exactly what time it is

it has thought me a lot in terms of working in different condition to become a professional trained soldier.

Proswe work as a family with different ideas.

Consthere are a lot of challenges here as in any company. we have to meet our time frame prior to excersice and works are to be of higher standard at all times and there is a respect for each other in respective of ranks.

Advice to Senior Managementtime keeping is essential and they should make sure that product are of high standard and quality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A rewarding stimulating and exiting career with considerable variety, challenge and sense of fulfillment

Colonel (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsThe quality of the people is the greatest asset of the British Army. The training training is good and the equipment is getting much better. The values of the organisation, the opportunities for development and promotion and the leadership and team working culture are first rate.

ConsThe impact on family, in particular the disruption to childrens' education, the frequent separation and the impact on spouse/partner's ability to pursue a career. Until recently the level of commitment has reduced the Army's capacity to prepare for future contingencies and placed a heavy load on the current generation in deployable units.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive greater consideration to family requirements

Great opportunities and people however not the most flexible.

British Army Captain (Current Employee) Bulford, England (UK)

ProsExcellent training. Brilliant culture and working life. The pay, holiday and benefits are top level too. Operational tours and conducting your trade in a high impact situation are an amazing opportunity.

ConsUncertainty as to where in the country you will be posted to or be doing in the long term. Flexibility is required from you but not given to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more specialist roles need more certainty and better management. Some Corps are very poorly managed for their Soldier and Officer Careers. Where it comes to technical elements the army needs to appoint staff officers with technical capability. SO1s and above are making IT decisions that are fundamentally wrong and failing the army.

I enjoyed a great 24 year career, was exposed to many challenging roles and had the responsibility to think for myself

Training Major (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe security of the job and made lots of very good friends for life. The values the army work by are ones I have worked and lived by even though I have left. plenty of chances to self develop and further your career

ConsHaving to go away for long periods at short notice, presently lots of people are being made redundant and moral is low within the ranks

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who are at the coal face, reservists are simply not up to the job as I could not carry out their roles 100% effectively if I was not doing them full time.

Challenging, exciting and frustrating in equal measure - a great institution strangled by red tape.

Captain (Current Employee) Salisbury, England (UK)

ProsAbove average pay, ample leave and late starts/early finishes, subsidised accommodation and food and free healthcare. Excellent camaraderie and friends for life. The chance to travel to exciting and dangerous locations (if you get lucky). Time to keep fit and do sport and adventurous training (opportunity reduces as rank increases). Great responsibility from the off and a brilliant foundation in leadership and management. Paid training, education and professional development. Honourable traditions and the X factor. Job stability, steadily rising salary and good pension. Provision of massively subsidised housing and education for families and dependents. Life experience that cannot be gained in any other line of work. If I had my time again I would not change my decision to join.

ConsCrippling bureaucracy, promotion based more on time served than on merit or effort, over-reliance on poorly negotiated civilian contracts. Excessive aversion to risk and adherence to Health and Safety culture. Pressure to meet recruitment and training targets leads to more and more soldiers arriving at Units unfit to soldier. Soft discipline policy leaves commanders struggling to fight growing civilianised day-job mindset at odds with the Army's ethos, and pockets of drug abuse. Inability to introduce functional overarching IT solution leads to countless hours wasted replicating information on spreadsheets and databases that do not interact with one another. Poor and untimely dissemination of information about postings, cuts and deployments feeds the rumour mill leading to dissent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to the government and do not accept their inadequate solutions to issues like the reservist recruitment crisis. Stop handing out contracts to incompetent external organisations. The Army is overstretched and soldiers do not understand the rationale behind the new employment model, especially when they see flashy television adverts about the reservist benefits they are not entitled to. Regular soldiers often work alongside reservists who are paid several times as much for the same job because the Army matches their civilian salary. Value your employees and stop chasing promotion. Some of the best commanders I have come across are those who know they have reached their promotion ceiling because they stop working to quotas and mindless directives and start working for their subordinates. The mass exodus of disillusioned young leaders of all ranks is well underway. Can you stop it before the Army becomes a husk of its former self manned by unimaginative career-obsessed autocrats?

Great job for a while but after a while it destroys your soul

Rifleman (Former Employee)

ProsFellows soldiers
    Pay (to an extent)
    Meritocracy (to an extent)
    Travel - though usually places you wouldnt go on holiday

ConsGetting shot at and blown up in places you shouldnt be
    Idiots get promoted and keep their rank regardless of their incompetence

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting idiots

Great

Corporal (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople you work with and traveling

ConsTime away from family and friends

Some good experiences but a real lack of job satisfaction when not on deployments

Installation Technician, Royal Signals (Current Employee)

Pros- Great opportunities throughout out the Army e.g Physical Training Instructor, Adventure Training, Specialist Trades, Special Forces to name a few. All with their own different benefits....
    - Plenty of sporting opportunities: pretty much every sport you can think of!
    - Yearly incremental pay increases (each rank does have a maximum level)
    - Able to transfer within to do a different job (although transferring can be a long drawn out process)
    - Career progression

Cons- Way you are spoken to is disgusting for the 21st century, often verging on harassment in most cases
    - Colleagues have an awful and disturbing sense of humour
    - Too much micromanagement and poor management in general
    - The Army takes too much of a view into your private life, treating you like a child E.g. Checking your personal details every 3 months! (Driving license, passport etc)
    - Work/Life balance is terrible, your life will be dictated by the army e.g. Seen countless examples of people having to cancel holiday even though they booked leave!
    - Incredibly inefficient organisation wasting so many resources and public money from government funding
    - Soldier and officer divide is absolutely diabolical, although soldiers are getting a lot better amenities now, for far too long officers have had a completely different standard of living much higher than soldiers!
    - Often soldiers and officer do not socialise, in the 1800's this May of been the case but the army is very outdated
    - Needs to modernise is systems, ethics and views!

Advice to Senior Management- Make more comparisons to civilian counterparts to be more productive and create and better working environment.

- Instead of doing Command Leadership Management for soldiers who are promoted; Which is essentially a gruelling pointless task, take a leaf out of the civilian sector and actually congratulate those promoted and put them on real management courses so they can do there job effectively and efficiently.

Worked for The British Army? Contribute to the Community!