The Buckeye Ranch

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.6

D. Nicholas Rees

It was a fun atmosphere.

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch

Pros

Great staff and great food.

Cons

Long time to get a drink, but that is all.

Don't expect a supportive environment

Former Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros: Honestly having a hard time coming up with pros for The Buckeye Ranch. Maybe experience for your resume.

Cons

You will not be adequately trained to handle the population. You will not be adequately informed of the risks involved with the work. You will often find that the management staff is looking out for itself and it's own workload rather than the health and safety of the population or the youth leaders. You will find that you do not have the resources to set up a therapeutic environment for the kids. You will either quit disillusioned within the first two weeks on the floor, after a year burnt out from the above factors, or you will raise through the ranks to become management through disassociation and self deception.

being two years out, my advice is moot. For all i know, the above points have been addressed. This is a warning to future employees, however, that the Buckeye Ranch may have a stained past, and there may still be shades of the above going on.

Very dissatisfied with this company,

Current Employee - Human Resources in Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Grove City, OH

I have been working at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok - contributions high

Cons

senior management play favorites which is bad for morale. You have to belong to the "click" or you won't be there long. Must be able to play politics!

Hire all new senior management and also the board of directors

Residential

Current Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH

I have been working at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with children and families who need help in order to develop into great people and families this is the job for you. There are lots of directions this place can take you in regards to social services.

Cons

You can get physically abused, your will work nights and weekends. You will be insulted by the youth and you will be treated like an invalid by the higher ups. You will be terminated/chastised for petty reasons and will watch people get promoted with poor work ethic simply because the are willing to work over time. But, the people working over time, don't actually work, as a matter of fact they have been caught sleeping in offices. Their is a very poor demeanor at the residential, it's a very difficult environment to work in. The clinical staff is quick to provide insight on the development of the milieu but they hide in their offices when youth are in crisis and need major clinical support. The place is a gossip machine, hear say is also enough to tarnish even the best reputation. If I were you, I would steer clear. The residential units are filthy, dated and sad. Yet, the building where the CEO sits has brand new cherry furniture. It's a joke. Your safety can be jeopardized in the residential facilities. A woman I worked with almost lost her eye, and the child was given no consequences. The reputation of the ranch continues to tarnish, they have been on the news for abuse allegations, many are swept under the rug also. They will take youth that are far too dangerous for a residential atmosphere just for the money. Some of the youth leaders are exceptional as well as clinical staff.

I do not know where to begin. They have made several huge mistakes over the past few years. I fear that residential will become a thing of the past. I think you could make better use of the grounds. I think it is time to make safety a better priority. I think some metal detectors are a great idea. Pay better attention to staff that are grooming youth.

Good company, especially for a beginning clinician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good supervision and team mentality is really good though depends on the team

Cons

Pay is not the highest

Reward good clinicians with higher pay, don't just move them into management. Good clinicians don't necessarily equal good supervisors

It was rewarding to work with the families, but draining to be expected to work 50 + hours a week to meet productivity

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist-CPST in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist-CPST in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch

Pros

The people are amazing.
    There is always ongoing training

Cons

There are too many cases on your case load.
    The time it takes to meet productivity is ridiculous.
    The CPST staff busted their butts, but were not paid overtime due to being salary.

Lower the case loads, pay the staff more, and make sure the staff are not burnt out.