The Buckeye Ranch

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
3.5

CEO

It was a fun atmosphere.

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch

Pros

Great staff and great food.

Cons

Long time to get a drink, but that is all.

Residential

Current Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Youth Leader in Grove City, OH

I have been working at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with children and families who need help in order to develop into great people and families this is the job for you. There are lots of directions this place can take you in regards to social services.

Cons

You can get physically abused, your will work nights and weekends. You will be insulted by the youth and you will be treated like an invalid by the higher ups. You will be terminated/chastised for petty reasons and will watch people get promoted with poor work ethic simply because the are willing to work over time. But, the people working over time, don't actually work, as a matter of fact they have been caught sleeping in offices. Their is a very poor demeanor at the residential, it's a very difficult environment to work in. The clinical staff is quick to provide insight on the development of the milieu but they hide in their offices when youth are in crisis and need major clinical support. The place is a gossip machine, hear say is also enough to tarnish even the best reputation. If I were you, I would steer clear. The residential units are filthy, dated and sad. Yet, the building where the CEO sits has brand new cherry furniture. It's a joke. Your safety can be jeopardized in the residential facilities. A woman I worked with almost lost her eye, and the child was given no consequences. The reputation of the ranch continues to tarnish, they have been on the news for abuse allegations, many are swept under the rug also. They will take youth that are far too dangerous for a residential atmosphere just for the money. Some of the youth leaders are exceptional as well as clinical staff.

I do not know where to begin. They have made several huge mistakes over the past few years. I fear that residential will become a thing of the past. I think you could make better use of the grounds. I think it is time to make safety a better priority. I think some metal detectors are a great idea. Pay better attention to staff that are grooming youth.

Good company, especially for a beginning clinician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good supervision and team mentality is really good though depends on the team

Cons

Pay is not the highest

Reward good clinicians with higher pay, don't just move them into management. Good clinicians don't necessarily equal good supervisors

It was rewarding to work with the families, but draining to be expected to work 50 + hours a week to meet productivity

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist-CPST in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist-CPST in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Buckeye Ranch

Pros

The people are amazing.
    There is always ongoing training

Cons

There are too many cases on your case load.
    The time it takes to meet productivity is ridiculous.
    The CPST staff busted their butts, but were not paid overtime due to being salary.

Lower the case loads, pay the staff more, and make sure the staff are not burnt out.