The Buckle

The Buckle Reviews in Grand Rapids, MI

3.4

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson
Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 36 reviews)

• Very flexible scheduling, very helpful management, wonderful employee discount (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Also alot of work just to make minimum wage, But once again the experience is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance as manager is mostly work (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was really great retail experience!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

We got a great 40% discount for working here, I got to work with really fun people, I got to see new trends hit the floor everyday and I got first dibs on buying anything I liked that came in-at 40% even! I am majoring in Apparel Merchandising and the Buckle was provided a really great retail experience for me for a summer that I had off from school. I was able to learn a lot about sales in particular and I am a lot better at selling and approaching customers because of the training provided there. They have a really great training program for new team members! I also got to help with the visual merchandising of the store a little bit and I really enjoyed dressing the mannequins and layering their outfits. This job also taught me more about the styling aspects of fashion. I was able to put together outfits for the customers who came in and it was really fun helping people pick out outfits for their senior pictures or a date or just everyday life!

Cons

Very sales based so if that is not your forte then I would not recommend it. You also have to be pretty outgoing or learn to be outgoing to be able to sell!

Everyone was really nice here! Sometimes though management and sales associates can be very pushy but it is commission based so it happens I guess.

Not a job for the timid.

Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Grandville, MI

I worked at The Buckle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always something to do, social atmosphere, decent employee discount, and you learn everything you need to know about denim.

Cons

SPGs (tracking sales sheets) are annoying, you make no money unless you actually sell over$1500/shift, retail hours.

Excellent Training & Poor Management

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Grandville, MI

I worked at The Buckle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40% discount
    flexible schedules
    seriously have the best training

Cons

There are times you will have a difficult time dealing with customers who knows your on commission
    Pay is very low
    Upper managements is very negative and have no leadership skills and other employees gossiping about everything on sale floor.
    There is no jean sale at buckle especially on black Friday.
    You have to suggest everything you can to a customer untill they get very annoyed.

Please train your managers on how to give feedback and show your sales associate some respect.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Current Employee - Team Leader in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

The clothes are amazing! Most of the associates are really fun people to be around

Cons

Complete lack of training. Management is so busy micromanaging the sales team to properly train new hires. Asking questions seems to annoy management. You are expected to check out guests with no training on the cash register in front of the guests. You are also expected to show product to customers before even taking a tour of the store. Management asks too much from employees considering the base pay of $6 an hour. Commission is only good when it's a busy season, so plan on making $7-8 an hour most of the time and still be expected to perform the work of 5 people. While assisting multiple guests, associates are required to log how many items were shown to each guest and make a check list to account for time with guests. This not only looks tacky on the sales floor, but it is insulting to ask for such detailed accounting of our time. Associates are asked to be way too pushy to guests and The Buckle is getting a bad rep because of it. I have talked to lots of people who say they won't even step in the door because they feel they have entered a used car lot full of greedy salespeople. The team is not greedy, but just pushed too hard by management to sell and are underpaid for their effort.

Be more organized during the training process. The Buckle needs to revamp their training process completely. Hire someone to go to the stores just to train new hires and have lots of training before sending them on the floor. Don't micromanage so much. Be honest about the potential for income and advancement. Switch to a higher base without commission and lots of customers will come back.

The Buckle- Not Bad, Not Great

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

The clothes are cute and you get to talk to lots of people. The associate discount was really nice.

Cons

You have to work on commission and sometimes fellow associates will steal sales to make extra money. Also, you have to wear their clothes all the time and so you spent all of your money there at the store.

Spend more time on the sales floor with selling team and be more of a team player.

The Buckle Photos