The Buckle

The Buckle Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson

Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • On the slower days, you're basically working for minimum wage (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours (retail hours) Low pay unless your a top seller (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company concept, dysfunctional infrastructure

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the way that we helped guests while I worked there. You get very involved and develop relationships. It is a high energy and fun place to work. Plus you get 40% off everything, and they run 60% off promotions as well off specific brands for the employees.

ConsIt was difficult, at least in my store, to grow. You have to have a manager that is able to train or has the drive. In the time that I was there I saw many managers come and go and not one was able or had the desire to train me up. So, I was stuck in the position that I was in. I also had district and area manager switches which also lead down a sad journey. The concept and idea of Buckle and they way they do business is amazing, but from the inside it does not run quite the way they would want it to.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook within the individual stores for the strengths and consistencies. Fight to keep them and do not let them go. They add more to the stores than you may understand. It is not as east as thinking that everyone is replaceable.

Sales Floor Teammate

Sales Teammate (Former Employee) Chino Hills, CA

ProsI loved working at the Buckle. They have the best professional development strategy and they really empower their employees to succeed at all levels. Management is always there to ask "How can I help you?" They have great product education, a great culture, and great values.

ConsIt's retail. Long hours standing and lifting. Required to be somewhat pushy with showing product - not all shoppers are receptive to that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep empowering!

Great Place To Work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsAside from commission and a great leadership training program Buckle offers a ton of opportunities to move up in the company.

ConsYou have to report to Team Leaders for like everything. They need to trust their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alterations Seamstress Experience

Alterations Seamstress (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsAble to work a flexible schedule.

ConsManagement was trying to dictate how/when to do the job.
    There was a misunderstanding about machine maintenance
    and the ability to work quickly and efficiently,
    even when the "outdated" machine needed to be
    replaced and slowed down production, as I was
    constantly needing to repair and readjust broken parts.
    Even the machine repairman said the machine was inadequate
    and outdated for the job required.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to have a full understanding of time restraints
    of the sewing jobs when machinery is inadequate to
    work on denim items.

Top Notch Training

Store Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosmanagement training program far outweighs competitors in retail fashion
    skills to handle difficult situations
    managers used to have free premiums on insurance
    matching 401k plan (discretionary)
    liquid company
    easy to connect with upper management (even the VP knows the name of every manager)
    pay is fantastic

Conspolitics in the Dallas market can be tough if you are not willing to participate
    work life balance is very tough for managers (expect to work 50 hours a week and be looked down upon if you do not)
    very poor pay for most leaders (non-managers)
    too many tools to try to keep up with

Advice to Senior Managementoffer better schedules for managers and MTs

part-time sales

Part-time Sales (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe discounts are wonderful and working in a high energy sales environment which had endless clients

ConsManagement gave a day training and then put u out on floor before knowing all merchandise and procedures

Advice to Senior Managementspend time and train staff so they feel comfortable upselling

"Buckle"

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsThe only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1. They will try to get you to buy something just about everyday of the week though

ConsThe company has lost complete focus of the one thing that got them to where they are now. The people, it's employees. The company has no regard for the rigorous efforts its employees put into the company to bolster its crumbling reputation. If you are the type of person that needs to be appreciated for the work you do Buckle is not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are not capable of march to someone elses beat forget about it. Even if you are a seasoned mgr and have proven your ways are successful be prepared to do things their way regardless if they work or not. You will be noting more than a good little soldier. Lastly what ever you do do not speak up. They do not like strong willed individuals, it scares them.

Learn entry level sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-Learn how to work off commission
    -Great company discount
    -Good entry level job into sales
    -Always interacting with guests

Cons-Sometimes have to be way too pushy
    -Pay was not that great
    -Overpriced clothes

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable your sales associates to make more of a relationship with the customer.

I HATED this job.

Sales Teammate (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsDiscounts on clothes
    Commission
    Friends
    Interactive Job
    Decent clothes

ConsStrict dress code
    Lots of competition which leads to hostility
    Favoritism when it comes to hours
    Drama
    Never schedules the correct availability
    Pay varies
    Commission can be a bad thing
    Pushing products on people that don't want can be annoying and can irritate guests but you don't have a choice
    Very Cyclical Employment- I was there for awhile during school but I can tell you when I took extended vacation there was ALWAYS a new set of teammates when I would come back.
    WARNING: If you're not a people person DO NOT APPLY-YOU WILL BE FIRED
    Word to the wise YOU ARE REPLACEABLE!

Advice to Senior Managementup the minimum wage
    learn whose managing your store
    training doesn't exist- I started and watched 2 videos and was on the sales floor my next shift
    all your stores are run differently, you've got the "by the book store" and the renegade store.

Great job if you're willing to put in the effort

Management Trainee (Former Employee)

ProsSignificant discount for employees; ample training available that's meant to set the teammate up for success; ability to dictate your pay with commission-based sales; great place to learn about customer service; MT program offers great business advice and training with fair pay

ConsHours are terrible, especially if you're a manager; sometimes training tools were changed before the team could really incorporate them into the sales presentation; if you're in the MT program without a strong manager to guide and review you, you're bound to fail; high turnover/burnout from employees

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more is more is more attitude regarding how the product is styled and sold seems to be off trend

Worked for The Buckle? Contribute to the Community!