The Buckle

The Buckle Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson

Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • On the slower days, you're basically working for minimum wage (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours (retail hours) Low pay unless your a top seller (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Upper Management Support

Management Trainee (Former Employee)

ProsSome locations are fun to work at, good benefits, great discount

ConsPoor culture in many locations, poor support from upper management when taking over a store, HORRIBLE hours, not enough pay

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers are performing true to Buckle culture. Listen to employees to know what goes on between the rare district management positions

Fun experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Jackson, MI

ProsPerfect job for the outgoing person, 50% off all of the latest clothing, upbeat friendly environment

ConsIf you are shy this is not the job for you, you are constantly pushing people to buy things and are rejected often. It is hard to get time off.

great beginning

ProsThis company offers promotions to anyone who is willing to show growth. Can be quick to make money when sales are high. Commission based pay.

ConsYour pay will vary with the season due to commission.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Old Fashioned Values

OFC (Current Employee) Kearney, NE

ProsFriendly and caring management. Decent benefits. Family oriented.

ConsVery physical, takes its toll on your body after a while. A lot of employees have repetitive motion injuries. Low wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communication. Also, have more things for employees to do when we run out of orders.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great

MIT In Trainig (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsLoved the sales and commissions

ConsOther associates could be pushy

The Worst Company for a Long-Term experience.

Team Leader (Former Employee)

Pros- You make really good base pay + commission
    - You get a 40% discount

Cons- Despite what they say to make their image less aggressive, you ARE expected to wear the clothing. And you WILL be judged if you don't. The clothing CAN be reasonably priced but for the most part it is very expensive.
    - Your manager cares more about making money than about making you a better sales person
    - It's all about appearance. Pretty people would walk into our store and we would send an application RIGHT to their email. But, if an ordinary or unattractive person asked if we were applying, they were told to 'look online.'
    - Lack of diversity/Racial-profiling (See advice to management)

Advice to Senior ManagementOur managers acted like they were the HBIC's and that they were above everyone else. In fact, our store's turnover rate was DUE to our store managers tendency to be friendly to your face, and speak badly about you behind your back. This traveled around our store VERY QUICKLY. The unprofessionalism working with the Buckle is UNREAL.

Also, the lack of diversity working for this company is scary. There is a significantly low amount of 'people of color' working as a sales associate or within the stores at all. As a result racial profiling was also high. Being of color myself I did NOT appreciate knowing that my store manager was training us to watch every guest of color 'just in case' they tried to steal.

Great company with special people.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Kearney, NE

ProsGreat benefits and great pay.

ConsYou must stay in line.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Leader in Training

Leader In Training (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat discount. Good benefits. Works good with schedules. Good networking. Fun environment.

ConsFalse hope on goals. Pushy atmosphere. Intense sales. Fake environment. Politics runs the totum poll.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood stepping stone.

Career advancement and experience with the Buckle.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne great thing about the Buckle is the opportunity for career advancement. It is very possible, but you have to be willing to work really hard, and long hours, and put in your dues. However, if you do this a sales associate can move into the management training programs and get some valuable experience and resume building positions at the Buckle. It was fun to help others feel good about themselves, especially with a body type that didn't cater to regular sizes. I enjoyed the daily interaction.

ConsEven thought career advancement is a plus, the pay and bonus structure is one which is very difficult to make a reasonable living wage on, even as a management trainee, and you have no life/work balance. This is difficult if you are a single parent or have any other obligations, and you may have a second job to get by. I was only able to do this with personal goals, management did not create my success only I did, and support was scraps. Mostly they just punished and drove sales with fear and intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate your staff with incentives, positive reinforcement, and education. Domineering management does no one, including your sales and employee retention any favors.

Horrible. Lots of pressure to sell with for commission to teenagers and parents.

Sakes (Former Employee) Hurst, IL

ProsI got a 40% discount. Too bad they were cheaply made.

ConsThe Employees are mainly young and brainwashed to think they want a lifelong career there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put adults in charge that try to fit in with the young staff but only succeed to look pathetic

Worked for The Buckle? Contribute to the Community!