The Buckle

The Buckle Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson

Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • On the slower days, you're basically working for minimum wage (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours (retail hours) Low pay unless your a top seller (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible. Lots of pressure to sell with for commission to teenagers and parents.

Sakes (Former Employee) Hurst, IL

ProsI got a 40% discount. Too bad they were cheaply made.

ConsThe Employees are mainly young and brainwashed to think they want a lifelong career there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put adults in charge that try to fit in with the young staff but only succeed to look pathetic

Always changing and room for growth

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Muskegon, MI

ProsThe best reason to be employed with The Buckle is that they truly care about their employees. As a sales associate to a sales lead position, you get to choose what you want to make! It is all based on how hard you work to earn sales and overall earn your own paycheck.

ConsOn the slow days, since many entry level positions are based on commission, it was hard to earn a good paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing in upper management (as ASM), my advice is to listen to the concerns of your staff, otherwise top performers will leave.

I worked there for 2 years

ProsThe incentives are amazing the environment is FUN. The clothes are trendy and to die for and not to mention the opportunity for company advancement.

ConsThe only thing that ever bugged me was my feet were hurting and the time pace they wanted you to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be so great feeling as your job as to be overbearing. Help your teammates and they will help you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All the guts for NO Glory

ProsHard work but so worth it! The guests are amazing and getting the discount is awesome.

ConsThe managers are generally very young and try to manipulate others into believing they are older. This is hard when their age shines through with their maturity. The managers have a VERY do as I say not as I do mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the detail...a store may be growing and successful not due to the manager but due to the team behind the manager

MT Progrm

Store Manager (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

Prosgreat atmosphere with a team environment

Conslong hours, dealing with rejection

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop teammates

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lima, OH

ProsYou get a great discount.

ConsUnfortunately, you can only buy your size clothing and only for you. The manager knows your size because she will have you try on clothes when you are learning the different jeans and how to put outfits together. If you are female, you can only buy girl clothes and not boys with your discount. Additionally, management is very pushy and customers become upset when you keep pushing. If you have a mean customer who makes it very clear they are just looking, your manager will still make you go harass them about clothing options. I hated working here, and when I said I didn't feel comfortable( after only working there 1 week) taking options up to this mean customer who insulted me when I only said hello, she yelled at me and told me I had an attitude problem. I love their clothes, but I refuse to shop in stores. I prefer online!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people push! If a customer comes in and makes it very clear they do not want help, then I think the employees should not have to still go up and harass the customer with clothing options.

Horibble

MT (Store Manager In Training) (Current Employee)

ProsGood discount.... thats about it

ConsHorrible managers. The store manager I worked for had at least 3 open HR issues against him- The district manager did come down to check on the issues but only talked to one other person. That person did tell the DM everything that was going on but the district manger did not believe her (because the store was making plan). I was lied to on my pay, hours, and 401k benefits. They also dont care about turn over rates

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your employees/ managers... having over 30 people leave in a 3 month time frame has got to tell you something

Extremely rewarding. Amazing experience.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsWorking with an amazing group of people who are all just as driven to succeed as you are. You will not be only a number at The Buckle, I personally met the CEO of the company on numerous occasions. If you are looking for amazing growth opportunity, this is your spot.

ConsThe biggest drawback for me was the hours. I did not want to work weekends or holidays.

AMAZING PLACE OF WORK

Sales Teammate (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsYour Kind of in charge of your own destiny, if you pay attention and soak up everything that they are teaching you YOU will be succesful with making your goals and sales.

ConsYou are constantly selling even at the register you are told to "Go for NO"

Popularity

Sales Associate (Part -Time (Former Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsThe training was sufficient and supportive.

ConsMy manager progressively cut my hours with no explanation. When I asked for constructive feedback, she stated that she was cutting everyone's hours (she wasn't). My name remained on the schedule, but I was getting no hours. Finally she told me there was no need for me to call for my hours without any explanation.

Worked for The Buckle? Contribute to the Community!