The Buckle Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
3.4

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson
Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • On the slower days, you're basically working for minimum wage (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours (retail hours) Low pay unless your a top seller (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst job ever! Two weeks of Hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brandon, FL

I worked at The Buckle part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% discount on yourself although the staff will peer preasure you into buying stuff for yourself if they haven't made bank for the day.

Cons

The 40% can only be applied to yourself. Everyone acts like your a shoplifter including management. You have to harass guests that you know are unintrested in particular iteams. The commission is ridiculous, leaders will come in and steal your commision based on the fact that they see your trying and not making the cut, they will swoop in and for sure be there at the register. Poor communication leads to the shopper's being overwhelmed with so many diffrent things and too many people helping them. Pay is terrible and you work your butt off for the little money you make.

Learn how to communicate. Also give your staff the appropriate materials to be successful, I was never given any advice, videos, handbook... just thrown on the floor.

I think it depends on your environment.

Current Employee - Sales Teammate  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Teammate in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at The Buckle part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love fashion, it may be a good fit.

Cons

I was lied to about my position. Very unprofessional environment. The team is very pushy on sales, it feels like you have to harass the guest.

Be completely honest and more professional

Current Employee

I have been working at The Buckle part-time

Pros

Discount, lots of interaction, challenging, and independent

Cons

Slow promotion track, small raises, limited interaction with manager

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok but way to much work for the low pay

Former Employee - Sales Teammate  in  Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Annapolis, MD

I worked at The Buckle full-time for more than a year

Pros

good training! flexible scheduling! Knowledge of merchandise!

Cons

poor management! way too much expected for the pay! commission system is a rip off!

Listen to your employees sometimes! Don't expect sales associates to do assistant manager and manager jobs!

It's a living...if you're 18!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chandler, AZ

I worked at The Buckle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed enviroment, generally employed with out-going individuals. The days generally go by quickly as you're constantly doing clothes presentations, and if you're lucky and get talking with an interesting customer, its not uncommon to have hours float by. The job is also great at working around your school schedule, and if you really want to pursue it, there are a lot of opportunities to advance.

Cons

If you have little to know customer service, or face-to-face experience, the job can be rather intimidating. In my time I never saw anyone get fired for not selling, though that's not necessarily a good thing either. It really just showed how non-confrontational Corporate was. Knowing that the entry level employees had to sell to make any semblance of a paycheck, corporate was fine with allowing team mates to simply weed themselves out rather than try and train them or correct the behavior.

Develop a more streamline training program and hiring process. One that helps clearly identify individuals who will be able to effectively do the job. Also, spend a little extra money to have some professional shoppers or client coordinators come in and teach of of the tips of the "actual" trade.

King of retail jobs.

Former Employee - Sales Teammate  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Buckle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours for college students. If you are extremely outgoing, and possess basic intelligence, you will have the opportunity to make up to $20 with the commission structure in BTS & Christmas seasons.

Cons

Training was fast, and it was sink or swim. This caused a high turnover rate. Pushing of the Buckle card to people obviously not in need of another line of credit on their financial history was taxing on the soul.

Grow baby, grow.

One of the best jobs I've had

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Greenville, SC

I worked at The Buckle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with, great sales training, and excellent opportunities for growth.

Cons

Working as a part-time employee only really pays off during the holidays. Unless you are paid full time its difficult bringing home a decent check other parts of the year.

More speacialty shops. Like an affliction one or obey selection and showcase could really bring more customers.

Team Member

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Huntsville, AL

I worked at The Buckle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Creative, fast paced, compensation, leadership

For retail, it is one of the best places to work. Pays well. Lots of opportunities to grow upwards within the company.

Cons

Commission is tough for part-time associates just because of hours and foot traffic.

Management expects team members to "sell" a certain way. I personally think can hinder the success of team members who might lose some natural charisma trying to fit that mold and mark off those boxes.

Allow team members to sell in a way that encourages them to be comfortable and natural with guests.

A great company to gain valuable customer service and selling techniques.

Former Employee - Sales Teammate
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate

I worked at The Buckle part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a friendly work environment in which everyone works as a team to maximize the stores sales. You receive a substantial discount on their merchandise as an employee. A good experience for someone looking to enter a career in sales or marketing. As a sales teammate your pay is a base rate plus commission.

Cons

It is a fast paced environment in which you have to execute Buckles sales techniques to each guest.

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Manager In Training  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Bellevue, WA

I worked at The Buckle full-time for less than a year

Pros

I mean I still have my Mek jeans... There is literally nothing positive I can say about this job other than that.

Cons

I was hired with the promise that I was a "manager in training." This was a lie. I was not commission-based, and the other employees were, which lead to a negative team environment bc "if I'm not commission I shouldn't take sales." Yet I was evaluated on how much in sales I brought in. Store employees were financially poor, and this translated to a bad team environment bc the buckle does not pay their employees enough. Employees are forced to act like sharks toward customers-- their job literally depends on this (otherwise you are doing a "bad" job, and you will be berated for LITERALLY giving customers personal space to shop). The turnover is insane, even for retail-- management turnover is embarrassingly bad, too. It is a vicious environment. I was constantly watched and critiqued, and I mean for literally my entire8-hour shift--imagine how that would feel. I was told I was doing a bad job (though my sales were comparable to if not better than all other employees), and was offered a lower commission-based position in my evaluation meeting. I was verbally assaulted and demeaned to the point that I started to cry in this meeting. To make it even worse, this meeting was held in the office with the door open; an employee was standing 5 feet outside of the door, and any other employees who walked by easily heard what was being said. This was inappropriate to discuss in front of other employees, and violates ethical standards. I walked out and never went back.

Take sensitivity training. Contact headquarters and request a full and thorough assessment of how the buckle runs on the inside, and reevaluate the way employees are treated.

Worked for The Buckle? Contribute to the Community!