The Buckle Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson
Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 36 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Also alot of work just to make minimum wage, But once again the experience is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance as manager is mostly work (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked there for 2 years

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

The incentives are amazing the environment is FUN. The clothes are trendy and to die for and not to mention the opportunity for company advancement.

Cons

The only thing that ever bugged me was my feet were hurting and the time pace they wanted you to achieve.

Do not be so great feeling as your job as to be overbearing. Help your teammates and they will help you.

Entreprenurial Culture - slight changes would make it incredible

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Buckle full-time

Pros

Working at Buckle you have the rare opportunity to get out what you put in. Meaning the harder(smarter) you work the more money you can make. At the manager level you are rewarded with a percentage of the net profits of your store, giving you the potential to double(or more) your salary. The path to get there and stay there is very challenging but for those who have the work ethic to overcome the obstacles and long hours there is strong incentive and excellent experience waiting.

Cons

The hours can get extremely long at times, even if you are properly staffed, because of the feeling that you are losing money anytime you are not in the store. There are some instances where upper middle management (District Level) is blind to the actions that some managers are performing consistently and others are not simply because of a personal impression of an individual, positive or negative.

First and foremost: shift the titles in the company. It may sound petty but if the company were to give the titles that best explain an individual's responsibility it would aid in recruiting so talented individuals did not feel as though they were taking a step back. District Managers should be called Regional(20+ stores) Areas should be Districts, Store managers should be General Managers ($2.5m+) and top level Assistants should be considered Co-Managers or Department Managers. Other than that just staying as current as possible with trends and loosening the grip on a tiny little bit of profit to give top level Assistant Managers(Co-Managers) a store based incentive program (yearly bonus) so that there are two people minimum trying to maximize profitability.

Horibble

Current Employee - MT (Store Manager In Training)
    Current Employee - MT (Store Manager In Training)

I have been working at The Buckle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount.... thats about it

Cons

Horrible managers. The store manager I worked for had at least 3 open HR issues against him- The district manager did come down to check on the issues but only talked to one other person. That person did tell the DM everything that was going on but the district manger did not believe her (because the store was making plan). I was lied to on my pay, hours, and 401k benefits. They also dont care about turn over rates

LISTEN to your employees/ managers... having over 30 people leave in a 3 month time frame has got to tell you something

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lima, OH

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a great discount.

Cons

Unfortunately, you can only buy your size clothing and only for you. The manager knows your size because she will have you try on clothes when you are learning the different jeans and how to put outfits together. If you are female, you can only buy girl clothes and not boys with your discount. Additionally, management is very pushy and customers become upset when you keep pushing. If you have a mean customer who makes it very clear they are just looking, your manager will still make you go harass them about clothing options. I hated working here, and when I said I didn't feel comfortable( after only working there 1 week) taking options up to this mean customer who insulted me when I only said hello, she yelled at me and told me I had an attitude problem. I love their clothes, but I refuse to shop in stores. I prefer online!!!!!!!

Stop making people push! If a customer comes in and makes it very clear they do not want help, then I think the employees should not have to still go up and harass the customer with clothing options.

MT Progrm

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Buckle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great atmosphere with a team environment

Cons

long hours, dealing with rejection

develop teammates

AMAZING PLACE OF WORK

Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Troy, MI

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Your Kind of in charge of your own destiny, if you pay attention and soak up everything that they are teaching you YOU will be succesful with making your goals and sales.

Cons

You are constantly selling even at the register you are told to "Go for NO"

Extremely rewarding. Amazing experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Appleton, WI

I worked at The Buckle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with an amazing group of people who are all just as driven to succeed as you are. You will not be only a number at The Buckle, I personally met the CEO of the company on numerous occasions. If you are looking for amazing growth opportunity, this is your spot.

Cons

The biggest drawback for me was the hours. I did not want to work weekends or holidays.

Great people

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

Wonderful place to work, everyday fun, great people.

Cons

Easily replaced. Self worth in company low

Make all employees feel worthy

Popularity

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Part -Time in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Part -Time in Lombard, IL

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was sufficient and supportive.

Cons

My manager progressively cut my hours with no explanation. When I asked for constructive feedback, she stated that she was cutting everyone's hours (she wasn't). My name remained on the schedule, but I was getting no hours. Finally she told me there was no need for me to call for my hours without any explanation.

Bad experience very young group of managers more popularity contest

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at The Buckle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good clothes good discounts love there lay away plan

Cons

Bad management bad hours bad routine

Hire more mature managers