The Buckle Reviews

Reset

1. Materialistic

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met occasional celebrities. Made a few good friends. Had a few laughs with those friends. That's why I think I stayed there as long as I did.

Cons

Unrealistic goals. Materialistic customer and management. I was verbally told that I will never be enough by my bOSS at the time. I was called out of my name, or fat by some customers. OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID is an understatment. 7 bucks an hour + commission. What. A. JOKE... And I worked harder than the assistant managers. Waisted 3 years. They may as well have a whip behind that checkout counter. They train you to breathe down the customers neck once they enter the store. And you have to continually introduce more and more product after they've said "just looking" and it creates a very awkward shopping experience for the customer and for the worker. That is probably what I hated most. And OMG don't get me started with credit cards and cold calls to customers on slow business days. AWKWARD! Extreme desperation to maintain your goals and keep your hours. The most stressful retail job I think I ever had. If you don't sell to their standards and meet their goals, prepare to become irrelevant and let go.

Advice to Management

Humility will take you a long way. Train your people to be themselves, and not these cocky salesman monsters that drive customers away. Youre selling blue jeans, not cars.

2. leader

Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

People are nice to work with, and the discount is okay.

Cons

Life/work is horrible, and the growth to get your own store takes forever.

Advice to Management

None

3. Retail entry level good experience for students

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

Great Management flexible with schedules

Cons

nothing it is a great entry job

Advice to Management

nothing

5. Stay far away

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pacific, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pacific, WA

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Could be worse... Not by much though

Cons

Welcome to the worst job you'll have

Advice to Management

Management is horrible. Especially from "district managers". You have taken a company that was once a brilliant place to work and shop and destroyed it. You've gone from inviting managers and leaders to think differently, to try new ideas, and make them feel like they are part of something, to the exact opposite. Now you micromanage, you take our focus off of the important things to place it on insignificant things. With all the bosses we have, you would think the message would be clear. But you all change your minds so frequently and don't communicate with each other we have to guess what you want. One day it's focus on this if your talking to this person, next day it's something else. Your message, and vision is a joke. Your like a little kid with A.D.D. You bounce around so much it's impossible to follow you. One of the sad parts now is you think leadership is finding a quote and sending it out to everyone, expecting it to motivate us. That's not leadership, that's not knowing how to lead so I'm hoping a quote can do something. Well here's a quote- get off the phone. Get out of your office. Actually participate in what your trying to get us to do. If you would lead from the front people would follow. But you've chosen to lead from the back, and now you have no clue.
    I believed in the Buckle for a long time, and it once was a great place to work and to shop. But so many of the great leaders that made buckle what it was have left. Now your stuck with managers who don't know how to lead, and need to be micromanaged.
    If your considering working here, please I beg you don't, look elsewhere. This will be nothing but a waste of time, and lots of frustration.

6. great atmosphere

I have been working at The Buckle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

works around schedule
    easy to move up in ranks
    fun environment

Cons

expensive clothes you are PUSHED to buy

7. Great job until you decide to stop using your paychecks to buy clothes from the store.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Buckle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount on the clothes and they do a good job training their people to push overpriced products to the customers.

Cons

As soon as you figure out that you are spending your paycheck on clothes because the discount is so good, it is time for you to go. Management is encouraged to flip staff regularly to ensure employees are consistently using their discount and spending money. The ethics of this company are suspect and they have ZERO loyalty to their employees. I won several sales contests, including a nationwide contest, and after the store manager was replaced my hours were cut in half because "my sales weren't as good as the other employees." Truth was they just needed to oust the old staff and bring in people at $4 per hour with enough commission to bring them up to minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees as more than just wallets.

8. Very organized company, went through an excessive management change.

Former Employee - Inventory Manager
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

- Great atmosphere of people
    - Company discount
    - Always had something to do
    - Great music

Cons

- Being the inventory manager I worked in the back so I had to listen to the training videos on repeat whenever the managers or new hires needed to watch them
    - A LOT of gossip - the managers tend to be the ones that start the gossip and it trickles down
    - Poor pay for how much work it is to be the inventory manager

Advice to Management

Keep the gossip to a minimum, continue encouraging your employees to do better, the higher up (district & regional managers) need to pay closer attention to the store managers --- the original manager at my store was AWFUL & everyone knew it was a problem but it took over a year for there to be actions taken & it effected the whole store.

9. If you like nagging customers

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

discount, new shipment everyday, customers

Cons

hassling customers to buy everything in the store, having to sell 1 pair of $179 jeans every hour gets annoying

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Teammate in Dodge City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Teammate in Dodge City, KS

I have been working at The Buckle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a 40% discount, communicative team, and great training!

Cons

Not many hours or full-time positions, if it's a slow day it affects your paycheck, if a guest does a return it also affects your cells and paycheck. Most of the people that work at buckle have a second job because of the low hours we have.

Advice to Management

Give more hours and full-time job positions, most of the people that work at the buckle have a second job because we can't survive with the little hours you give us, fix the structure of Commission based and returns. Sometimes it's not our fault a guest changed their mind and wants to return an item. Slow days also kill our paychecks

Working at the Buckle can be a bit stressful, but your coworkers and the people you help out make the workplace better.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at The Buckle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the job is commissioned based there is unlimited opportunity and you can quickly move up with the company.

Cons

The percentage of commission we receive off of our sales is lower than usual. We get 3% commission on all of our sales, but if we have to order products online our percentage is lowered to 1% commission. Also, the base rate is fairly low.

Advice to Management

Offer better base rate pay raises.

RSS Feed </> Embed