The Buckle

Updated November 20, 2014
3.4

The Buckle President, CEO, and Director Dennis H. Nelson
Dennis H. Nelson

Pros
  • The only "pro" to working for Buckle is the 40% discount on everything in the store starting from day 1 (in 36 reviews)

• great benefits (employee discount on clothes) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Also alot of work just to make minimum wage, But once again the experience is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance as manager is mostly work (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Leader in Training

Current Employee - Leader In Training in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Leader In Training in Nashville, TN

I have been working at The Buckle full-time

Pros

Great discount. Good benefits. Works good with schedules. Good networking. Fun environment.

Cons

False hope on goals. Pushy atmosphere. Intense sales. Fake environment. Politics runs the totum poll.

Good stepping stone.

Career advancement and experience with the Buckle.

I worked at The Buckle full-time

Pros

One great thing about the Buckle is the opportunity for career advancement. It is very possible, but you have to be willing to work really hard, and long hours, and put in your dues. However, if you do this a sales associate can move into the management training programs and get some valuable experience and resume building positions at the Buckle. It was fun to help others feel good about themselves, especially with a body type that didn't cater to regular sizes. I enjoyed the daily interaction.

Cons

Even thought career advancement is a plus, the pay and bonus structure is one which is very difficult to make a reasonable living wage on, even as a management trainee, and you have no life/work balance. This is difficult if you are a single parent or have any other obligations, and you may have a second job to get by. I was only able to do this with personal goals, management did not create my success only I did, and support was scraps. Mostly they just punished and drove sales with fear and intimidation.

Motivate your staff with incentives, positive reinforcement, and education. Domineering management does no one, including your sales and employee retention any favors.

Horrible. Lots of pressure to sell with for commission to teenagers and parents.

Former Employee - Sakes in Hurst, IL
    Former Employee - Sakes in Hurst, IL

I worked at The Buckle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got a 40% discount. Too bad they were cheaply made.

Cons

The Employees are mainly young and brainwashed to think they want a lifelong career there.

Don't put adults in charge that try to fit in with the young staff but only succeed to look pathetic

Working so hard for very little pay

I worked at The Buckle

Pros

You learn a lot about how to manage a team, be a leader and sell. Ideas are great and do work.

Cons

While knowing and learning a lot, your pay is horrible! An assistant manager for this company gets paid horrible for the hours worked with zero benefits.

Stop making your team harass customers!

I worked there for 2 years

I have been working at The Buckle

Pros

The incentives are amazing the environment is FUN. The clothes are trendy and to die for and not to mention the opportunity for company advancement.

Cons

The only thing that ever bugged me was my feet were hurting and the time pace they wanted you to achieve.

Do not be so great feeling as your job as to be overbearing. Help your teammates and they will help you.

Entreprenurial Culture - slight changes would make it incredible

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Buckle full-time

Pros

Working at Buckle you have the rare opportunity to get out what you put in. Meaning the harder(smarter) you work the more money you can make. At the manager level you are rewarded with a percentage of the net profits of your store, giving you the potential to double(or more) your salary. The path to get there and stay there is very challenging but for those who have the work ethic to overcome the obstacles and long hours there is strong incentive and excellent experience waiting.

Cons

The hours can get extremely long at times, even if you are properly staffed, because of the feeling that you are losing money anytime you are not in the store. There are some instances where upper middle management (District Level) is blind to the actions that some managers are performing consistently and others are not simply because of a personal impression of an individual, positive or negative.

First and foremost: shift the titles in the company. It may sound petty but if the company were to give the titles that best explain an individual's responsibility it would aid in recruiting so talented individuals did not feel as though they were taking a step back. District Managers should be called Regional(20+ stores) Areas should be Districts, Store managers should be General Managers ($2.5m+) and top level Assistants should be considered Co-Managers or Department Managers. Other than that just staying as current as possible with trends and loosening the grip on a tiny little bit of profit to give top level Assistant Managers(Co-Managers) a store based incentive program (yearly bonus) so that there are two people minimum trying to maximize profitability.

Horibble

Current Employee - MT (Store Manager In Training)
    Current Employee - MT (Store Manager In Training)

I have been working at The Buckle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount.... thats about it

Cons

Horrible managers. The store manager I worked for had at least 3 open HR issues against him- The district manager did come down to check on the issues but only talked to one other person. That person did tell the DM everything that was going on but the district manger did not believe her (because the store was making plan). I was lied to on my pay, hours, and 401k benefits. They also dont care about turn over rates

LISTEN to your employees/ managers... having over 30 people leave in a 3 month time frame has got to tell you something

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lima, OH

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a great discount.

Cons

Unfortunately, you can only buy your size clothing and only for you. The manager knows your size because she will have you try on clothes when you are learning the different jeans and how to put outfits together. If you are female, you can only buy girl clothes and not boys with your discount. Additionally, management is very pushy and customers become upset when you keep pushing. If you have a mean customer who makes it very clear they are just looking, your manager will still make you go harass them about clothing options. I hated working here, and when I said I didn't feel comfortable( after only working there 1 week) taking options up to this mean customer who insulted me when I only said hello, she yelled at me and told me I had an attitude problem. I love their clothes, but I refuse to shop in stores. I prefer online!!!!!!!

Stop making people push! If a customer comes in and makes it very clear they do not want help, then I think the employees should not have to still go up and harass the customer with clothing options.

MT Progrm

Former Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Buckle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great atmosphere with a team environment

Cons

long hours, dealing with rejection

develop teammates

AMAZING PLACE OF WORK

Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Teammate in Troy, MI

I worked at The Buckle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Your Kind of in charge of your own destiny, if you pay attention and soak up everything that they are teaching you YOU will be succesful with making your goals and sales.

Cons

You are constantly selling even at the register you are told to "Go for NO"

The Buckle Photos