The Buller Group Reviews

Rob Buller

1. TBG Manager

Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best, smartest people to work with. Rob builds great teams!

Cons

Not many, maybe we all work too hard and too long on some projects, but there is always time ot relax with company sponsored happy hours.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing.

2. Buller Group

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Rob hires top notch people and the team environment is great. Sometimes they take chances on more junior staff or other seasoned recruiters. Most of the time that works, but sometimes it doesn't just look at the review below with senior spelled incorrectly.

Cons

None really if you are a person who can self direct and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; great culture and team. There will always be ding dongs that don't work out, get fired and write crappy reviews but you guys are awesome. I love our team! Pay is great and best company I have worked for.

Disappointing experience!

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

Pros

The Buller Group offers the most laid back, hands-off environment I have ever been a part of. There is minimal if any micromanagement which benefits some depending on your ideal management style. Jay is awesome, is very down to earth and deserves a much better opportunity than TBG. Unlimited vacation and plenty of opportunity for tele-work. And yes, Rob is rarely in the office on Fridays.

Cons

Where to begin.. At TBG as stated in a previous review there is no on-boarding what so ever, so if you are not used to coming in and immediately getting to work from scratch it will not work out for you. The company has had an enormous amount of turnover over the past few years due to the sequester as well as internal conflicts (financial). To date there is no designated HR department (everything goes through Rob). It is essentially a 2 to 5 man shop depending on whether they have recruiters or not. The last and biggest issue with TBG is the fact that as stated in another review, you may not be paid on time or at all for that matter due to internal financial issues.

Advice to Management

Create an on-boarding program for recruiters so they have clear methods and guidelines to recruit effectively. Go after the best business, just because they offer you the best margins does not necessarily mean it is the best business for your firm at that time. Train recruiters to do BD so that it isn't just one person going after a ton of business. Obtain more contracts for recruiters to work on so they don't get burned out. Lastly, be honest and transparent with your recruiters. Without transparency there will be no progress.

Seneir Recuiter

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment. No one works on Fridays and you never see Rob.

Cons

They don't pay on time. They over sell on every engagement and then blame the recruiters when they cant deliver. Rob personally knows nothing about recruiting and believes that because he went to business school he knows all about staffing. Over the past 2 years he has run the company into the ground and had to fire half the company while the other half quit.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

6. Working for The Buller Group, LLC, has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life time.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Reston, VA

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are esseentially performing roles as individual consultants and highly proficient with their knowledge they are utilizing for their client(s).

Cons

No cons. The Buller Group, LLC is THE MOST ethical company I have ever had the pleasure of working with...

Advice to Management

Your team is incredibly knowledgeable; keep following your passions and never look back! TBG IS A "PLATINUM" employer.

Surreal work environment/ HIGHLY questionable decision-making

Pros

"hands off" management style ideal if you are comfortable going 3 days in a row without doing any actual work. Compensation package more comprehensive than competition.

Cons

Invests money in 3D TV and recruiting toys rather than incentive programs for employees. Seems more concerned with giving appearance of success than actually attracting clients and fostering success. Releases deceptive press releases (see "The Buller Group, LLC Successfully Recruits Its 3000th Polygraph Candidate"). Nonexistent employee on-boarding program, meaningless meetings that get in the way of productive work, and huge pay disparity between Jr. and Sr. employees (in addition to lacrosse & non-lacrosse employees)...

Advice to Management

Create onboarding for employees, focus on BD, Don't put all your eggs in one basket (subcontracting for highly competitive contract). Create career progression plans with employees to reduce turnover. Also, warn employees if mass lay-offs are coming so they aren't caught blindsided...

This company takes eb and flow to the max..

I have been working at The Buller Group full-time

Pros

flexible time hands off management style team building perks time off Work with mainly very smart/capable people Start up feel/ exciting

Cons

total lack of mentorship high school mentality Expect a very high level of commitment to the job and the company It seems that most decision makers aren't thinking about the ramifications of their promises instability Lack of diversity - cliques

Advice to Management

Get someone in there who actually knows the intel world/ defense market and nuances. Be realistic about opportunities. Have an on-boarding process that's more comprehensive. Start a mentoring program from day one Teach employees HOW to mentor, and why it's important. Do performance reviews, or give some sort of critical feedback. Be careful about the company culture change... extreme productivity is not the only thing to consider. Try not to be so obvious about your favoritism of lacrosse players, it alienates the rest of your staff

9. Great Employer

Current Employee - Staff Recruiter in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Recruiter in Herndon, VA

Pros

The Buller Group is perhaps one of the best employers I have ever worked for. This is the type of company you could work for your whole life and retire with. As a small to mid sized firm, they take pride in their employees and truly want them to own the company. The management team is fantastic and does a great job securing new contracts and keeping employees working on new and exciting projects. They empower their employees and encourage them to work hard and "move up the ladder". I could not be happier with my experience and how to be a part of this company for a long time.

Cons

There is only one downside that I can see working at The Buller Group which is overall communication in the firm. Many employees get to work from home so there is not a daily interaction and personal communication with your peers. Also, because of this, the main interaction you have with your co-workers is through email. However, Buller Group works hard to organize happy hours and social functions to help build an maintain a traditional workplace comradery.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Also, as we grow, don't lose sight of the values and culture that differentiates us from other companies and makes us the best company in the DC-area.

10. Working for The Buller Group has been a rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Working for The Buller Group has taught me how a company should treat their employees. We are respected and rewarded for the hard work we do on a daily basis. Management is always open to employee thoughts and suggestions.

Cons

I have not experienced a downside of working with the Buller Group. My experience has only been a positive one.

Advice to Management

The advice I have for leadership is to continue running the company how it has been run. Management has done a great job and continue to promote growth and leadership in their employees.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Assisting Military Operations in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Assisting Military Operations in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at The Buller Group (More than a year)

Pros

- You get paid. - You get what healthcare benefits they offer

Cons

- They will low-ball you in pay for a position in Afghanistan - Horrible communication - The company consists of liars, the job was a contract job, yet I was later told it was full-time after nearly 9 months in theatre - After a year in Afghanistan, I never once was given the contact information for their supposed Career Transitions Division - The company's headquarters in VA will make sure you get to theatre, but they could care less about you once you are there....you will get paid, but their mentality is "Out of sight, out of mind." - After my year was complete, I never once had the impression that this company valued the work I did for them - This company could care less about my opinions once I expressed my dissatisfaction with their practices

Advice to Management

I am guessing all of those 'raters' who gave this company high-marks are the suits and sycophants running around at the main headquarters in VA. For those of you who fit this image, you have a lot of work to do, but I doubt any of you even want to improve or care for that matter.

RSS Feed </> Embed