The CBE Group Reviews

Thomas R Penaluna

1. Good company to work

Current Employee - The Analyst Intern in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - The Analyst Intern in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at The CBE Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

The pay is not very high.

2. A Get You By Job

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at The CBE Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay
    A lot of charity work
    PTO acrued 4 hours on the 15th and last day of month
    paid on the 15th and last day of month

Cons

Didn't hit goals so no commission
    Horrible hours
    Poor management

Get management training.

Department was a joke, but as a whole a great employer

Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Cedar Falls, IA

I worked at The CBE Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most departments that I worked with were wonderful. I worked with the IT, Organizational Development (Training), Accounting, and Command Center departments on a daily basis and nearly everyone was wonderful to work with. They do believe in a very friendly, hard-working environment. The communication from a few of the department heads was a bit lacking from time to time, but that was strictly because of how quickly they are expanding, and not a lack of effort.
    The pay was... sufficient. In a recruiter position, and nearly all salaried positions there is a chance for bonus, but as the fine print states it is "up to". The benefits were okay.

Cons

I was hired as a recruiter in the Human Resources department, which as an experienced recruiter from a different company kind of caught me off guard since it was disclosed in any of the 3 interviews I had. One interview on the phone, one interview via Skype, and then finally one at their Cedar Falls office. In the interviews I was told I would be doing 70-80% recruiting and 20-30% "special projects". In reality I spent 60-70% doing secretarial work (W-2s, I-9s, background checks, setting up drug screens, criminal background checks, etc, etc) and 20-30% recruiting. The other 10% was utilized a few job fairs we went to, and other random things. I was told they wanted someone to come in and help make some changes, and anytime I brought something up, it was brushed off.
    Training didn't exist in my position, which based on some of their weird, off the wall procedures, is a complete joke.

Consider re-writing the job description for your recruiter so it discloses that there will be so much HR based work included, or at least disclose it in the interview. It was a true disappointment that the one department that is off is the one that is supposed to keep the rest in line.

5. Too many ways to take your pay

I have been working at The CBE Group

Pros

Relaxed environment, friendly people, friendly management and open door policy

Cons

As a new hire we were told less information about how to use the system fully and reprimanded after mistakes were made. Each day it seemed that we were informed of new policies that could reduce pay, take away the bonus and all together lower morale.

If training is 3 weeks long let the last week consist of being on the phone and then listening to at least call for improvement as a way to see mistakes prior to hitting the floor.

6. Stay Away!

Current Employee - Collector in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Collector in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The CBE Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first, everyone worked together - at the end NOBODY cared for anyone but themselves

Cons

Management just dosen't listen; very disfunctional atmosphere which affects the bottom line.

Don't ignore problems until it's too late. I

7. The people you work with are great, the work environment is negative and upper management do not communicate well.

I worked at The CBE Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good job if you like talking on the phone or working in data entry. Benefits are good.

Cons

Work environment is toxic at times, people can be negative and upper management do not communicate well with each other or with the rest of the company. It was hard to know exactly what we had to do sometimes.

Communicate better, when I was there it was terrible and made the employees frustrated.

Once upon a time

Current Employee - Collection
    Current Employee - Collection

I have been working at The CBE Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management at the lower and middle levels. They work with you and treat you as a person. They praise you for your work. Very encouraging and offer lots of self help classes and training.

Cons

In the 3 years I have been here there has been 6 compensation changes each getting worse. Corporate is now monitoring and micromanaging with people who never worked a single portfolio. Upper management makes poor decisions.

go back to compensation plan that was in place 3 years ago and stop changing it!!!
    Like always in every company upper management cuts corners and the expect everyone to be happy about screwing with us!!

9. Thw enviornment was pleasant and for the most part a very pleasant place in which to work !

Former Employee - Commercial Collector in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Commercial Collector in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The CBE Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary ....hands down...no other company can compare in this line of field !

Cons

The management staff was not fair in promoting employees based on race

Promote from within based on level of work ethics and performance instead of favoratism !

10. Positive work enviornment

Current Employee - Debt Collector in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Debt Collector in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at The CBE Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is by far one of the most positive places I’ve ever worked. They don’t tolerate negative behavior among either the management or the employees. There are very clear expectations laid out for both job performance and behavior, and as long as you meet those expectations, you’ll do fine. The benefit packages are generous. If you do well at your job, you stand to make a lot of money. If you show ambition, they will find a way to promote you.
    It tends to attract a lot of single moms with limited education, and for good reason: it enables them to make good money without having a background or degree in debt collection

Cons

Unless you're on one of the government contracts, the starting pay is low. They sometimes change the commission goals around and make it harder to hit goal. They recently changed the compensation package for supervisors, and right now it’s so low that it’s not attracting the right people to the job. Supervisors used to be rewarded based on how well their teams did; now it’s based on profit-sharing, which has cut the earning ability of supervisors down significantly.

Make the supervisor positions more attractive again. Those who are good collectors and make a lot of money have no motivation to move up. Their experience and technique-- which they could be passing on to other collectors in a leadership role—is lost. It’s been years since the starting wage for collectors has been raised, and this needs to be changed, especially in light of the fact that you’re about to hire hundreds of new employees for a new contract. If you want the best the Cedar Valley has to offer, make it worth their time

11. Not an overall bad place to work.

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Cedar Falls, IA

I worked at The CBE Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady job. This is one company that will never cut hours or lay off employees. If anything they offer and encourage employees to work overtime.

Cons

Repetitive work talking to people who haven't paid their bills, student loans, etc...typical collections position. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement unless you're in with management or share the same surname.

Be open to offering advancement opportunities to a wider demographic of people, knock it off with the favoritism and be a fair company.