The CBE Group

Add Photos

Thomas R Penaluna

Good company to work

The Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

ProsNice people to work with

ConsThe pay is not very high.

The people you work with are great, the work environment is negative and upper management do not communicate well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood job if you like talking on the phone or working in data entry. Benefits are good.

ConsWork environment is toxic at times, people can be negative and upper management do not communicate well with each other or with the rest of the company. It was hard to know exactly what we had to do sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better, when I was there it was terrible and made the employees frustrated.

Once upon a time

Collection (Current Employee)

ProsGreat management at the lower and middle levels. They work with you and treat you as a person. They praise you for your work. Very encouraging and offer lots of self help classes and training.

ConsIn the 3 years I have been here there has been 6 compensation changes each getting worse. Corporate is now monitoring and micromanaging with people who never worked a single portfolio. Upper management makes poor decisions.

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to compensation plan that was in place 3 years ago and stop changing it!!!
    Like always in every company upper management cuts corners and the expect everyone to be happy about screwing with us!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Thw enviornment was pleasant and for the most part a very pleasant place in which to work !

Commercial Collector (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSalary ....hands down...no other company can compare in this line of field !

ConsThe management staff was not fair in promoting employees based on race

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within based on level of work ethics and performance instead of favoratism !

Positive work enviornment

Debt Collector (Current Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsThis is by far one of the most positive places I’ve ever worked. They don’t tolerate negative behavior among either the management or the employees. There are very clear expectations laid out for both job performance and behavior, and as long as you meet those expectations, you’ll do fine. The benefit packages are generous. If you do well at your job, you stand to make a lot of money. If you show ambition, they will find a way to promote you.
    It tends to attract a lot of single moms with limited education, and for good reason: it enables them to make good money without having a background or degree in debt collection

ConsUnless you're on one of the government contracts, the starting pay is low. They sometimes change the commission goals around and make it harder to hit goal. They recently changed the compensation package for supervisors, and right now it’s so low that it’s not attracting the right people to the job. Supervisors used to be rewarded based on how well their teams did; now it’s based on profit-sharing, which has cut the earning ability of supervisors down significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the supervisor positions more attractive again. Those who are good collectors and make a lot of money have no motivation to move up. Their experience and technique-- which they could be passing on to other collectors in a leadership role—is lost. It’s been years since the starting wage for collectors has been raised, and this needs to be changed, especially in light of the fact that you’re about to hire hundreds of new employees for a new contract. If you want the best the Cedar Valley has to offer, make it worth their time

Not an overall bad place to work.

Collections Representative (Former Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

ProsSteady job. This is one company that will never cut hours or lay off employees. If anything they offer and encourage employees to work overtime.

ConsRepetitive work talking to people who haven't paid their bills, student loans, etc...typical collections position. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement unless you're in with management or share the same surname.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to offering advancement opportunities to a wider demographic of people, knock it off with the favoritism and be a fair company.

average

Collection Specialist (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

ProsThe coworkers were great to work around, having bonuses, great work hours

ConsThe benefits were not that great.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Very Laid back and friendly company

ProsGreat work atmosphere and laid back

ConsSometimes they are not able to help you out as much as they probably should.

The blind leading the blind

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsIt's an entry level job, entry level pay. Good enough to start first job while still at home.

ConsHigh turnover, Heavy micro management, Lots of favoritism. Not a good place to make money. Base pay way too low. Commission structure is not good.

On treatment it's as if you are a child but on production it's as if you are to know everything, every aspect, no questions, get it right the first time, or get talked to.

Supervisors are quite knowledgeable of the product it's the sharing information in a professional and respectable manner where the problem lies.
    Supervisors should be required to:
    Have people skills
    Willing to train and bring everyone on the team up to the same level - without bawking
    Produce a team who the shares teamwork

Leads having less experience their subordinates is not good no matter how personable they are.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly portray your commission payout structure. Relax.If you want people to act like adults then treat them as such. Stop the micromanaging.
    If the job is based on talking with people to make money, then take care that leads have been previously checked out and information is correct. Not 90% dead air and 10% talk time.

I like it.

Data Analysis Intern (Current Employee) Cedar Falls, IA

ProsIt's laid back and cool.

ConsIt's a debt collections agaency.

Advice to Senior ManagementKepp it up.

Worked for The CBE Group? Contribute to the Community!