The CDM Group

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

The CDM Group Chairman and CEO Ed Wise
Ed Wise

Pros
  • Lots of structure, very smart people at different levels, and high motivation to produce solid work (in 7 reviews)

• Work (for the most part) with very smart, talented, creative, hardworking and nice people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of HR Turnover, better idea of a work/life balance, more availability to work in other locations with the exception of NJ/NJ (in 6 reviews)

• Intense rivalries and internal politics distract the senior management from actually running the business (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work in NYC!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

Great people! Good Management! Typical fun loving NY style atmosphere. Benefits are good, especially the matching 401k. Summer Fridays and Christmas holidays are plus. :-)

Cons

None. Lots of people love to stay for a long time within the company due to it's great culture. In fact I have seen employees who left for some reason come back again.

Management is great! I worked in IT department. They do adapt to and use latest tools and technologies. People who stayed long with the company expect to get promoted and move up in their area. That's the only thing I would like to mention. Else, I think it's one of the best Ad agency in the US or rather world!

Great Group of People to Work With

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's plenty of room to grow. Team works really well together. Benefits are good, especially the matching 401k.

Cons

Work-Live balance uneven, lots of late nights. Too much focus on process that caused bottlenecks in routing and making the deadlines established.

Need to establish some flexibility on the process. Use it as a guideline and do not penalize those who work around the guidelines to meet client goals and expectations.

Great NJ Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at The CDM Group full-time

Pros

Smart, collaborative people, always pushing for great creative work

Cons

getting back the focus again

Princeton: finding our way

Former Employee - Account in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account in Princeton, NJ

I worked at The CDM Group full-time

Pros

Great talent; great clients and brands. Resilient in the face of much change over last few years.

Cons

Princeton Culture is under attack; new leadership focused on $ vs the great creative we were once known for.

If you (let your young talented and creative) build it, clients (and $) will come.

Great learning opportunity

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn the pharma ad agency process, top to bottom. 90% of the people are very nice and fun to be around, new business pitches are fun to be a part of, and among the worker bees, there's a lot of collaboration.

Cons

Salary is low compared to other shops, long hours, burn-and-churn model adopted late into my career that was not good for work-life balance.

Hard to say now that it's been a few years removed. Hopefully more creatives were hired to help balance workload.

A mixed bag of good and not-so-good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working for CDM is the top leadership tries to enforce Substance, Style, Conviction and Grace. Those four qualities are definitely not practices by each person, including management who are there to enforce it. Another good things is matching 401(k). I was able to save a pretty good amount in my retirement fund. Another good thing is once your hired a committee (part of HR) reviews your background to make sure your salary is commensurate with your experience.

Cons

When I was there the President was a woman, and I feel there was more compassion and kindness that trickled down from the top. I saw a number of people get promoted so I believe career growth is most definitely possible. The medical benefits were not the best I've had, but are pretty good. The dental is better than normal, that is according to my dentist!

After two years of employment you get three weeks vacation. The company closes from Christmas to after New Year's. That's an added week of vacation. They have early closings on summer Fridays. Working from home is allowed in some departments.

Get down in the trenches sometimes and let the employees know you are there to support them and not just make money or prove how successful you can be in your job.

Creative

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

The people are smarter here than anywhere else I've worked

Cons

Never stands still. Always seems to be evolving. You've for to have an appetite for that.

Continue to make good hires like new HR and IT director

Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Art Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

CDM has wonderful employees and as an Intern everyone was very helpful and I was able to learn a lot from all of the talented people who I was able to work with. Sometimes I felt more like an employee than an intern and the projects I was given were a great learning experience and a lot of fun!

Cons

It's definitely more like an intern position than an intern program so sometimes you just have to figure it out as you go along but everyone is really friendly and it felt gratifying figuring something out for yourself.

Don't call the internship a program if there's not going to be a structure. It's okay for it to be an intern position because it's a really amazing place to work.

Human Resources

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Exec team, lots of diversity in business, clients. Standout to competitors and everyone is mostly positive and focused on client and employee satisfaction

Cons

Learning and exposure to best practices

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

Strong leadership committed to helping employes do their best work. Extremely profitable organization with good employee benefit perks -- pilates class, free fruit, birthday day off, community service day, training opportunities.

Cons

Once you get to a certain level, there's nowhere left to go, and no direction on how to break into the inner sanctum. Unwilligness to confront conflict and low morale among all levels of employees. Traditional creative work and clients, with limited experimentation and/or innovation.