The CDM Group Reviews

Updated February 14, 2015
103 reviews filtered by

A mixed bag of good and not-so-good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working for CDM is the top leadership tries to enforce Substance, Style, Conviction and Grace. Those four qualities are definitely not practices by each person, including management who are there to enforce it. Another good things is matching 401(k). I was able to save a pretty good amount in my retirement fund. Another good thing is once your hired a committee (part of HR) reviews your background to make sure your salary is commensurate with your experience.

Cons

When I was there the President was a woman, and I feel there was more compassion and kindness that trickled down from the top. I saw a number of people get promoted so I believe career growth is most definitely possible. The medical benefits were not the best I've had, but are pretty good. The dental is better than normal, that is according to my dentist!

After two years of employment you get three weeks vacation. The company closes from Christmas to after New Year's. That's an added week of vacation. They have early closings on summer Fridays. Working from home is allowed in some departments.

Get down in the trenches sometimes and let the employees know you are there to support them and not just make money or prove how successful you can be in your job.

2. Creative

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

The people are smarter here than anywhere else I've worked

Cons

Never stands still. Always seems to be evolving. You've for to have an appetite for that.

Continue to make good hires like new HR and IT director

3. Great Intern Experience

Former Intern - Art Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Art Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

CDM has wonderful employees and as an Intern everyone was very helpful and I was able to learn a lot from all of the talented people who I was able to work with. Sometimes I felt more like an employee than an intern and the projects I was given were a great learning experience and a lot of fun!

Cons

It's definitely more like an intern position than an intern program so sometimes you just have to figure it out as you go along but everyone is really friendly and it felt gratifying figuring something out for yourself.

Don't call the internship a program if there's not going to be a structure. It's okay for it to be an intern position because it's a really amazing place to work.

5. Human Resources

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Exec team, lots of diversity in business, clients. Standout to competitors and everyone is mostly positive and focused on client and employee satisfaction

Cons

Lots of HR Turnover, better idea of a work/life balance, more availability to work in other locations with the exception of NJ/NJ

6. Learning and exposure to best practices

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

Strong leadership committed to helping employes do their best work. Extremely profitable organization with good employee benefit perks -- pilates class, free fruit, birthday day off, community service day, training opportunities.

Cons

Once you get to a certain level, there's nowhere left to go, and no direction on how to break into the inner sanctum. Unwilligness to confront conflict and low morale among all levels of employees. Traditional creative work and clients, with limited experimentation and/or innovation.

7. Company on the decline, once great now struggling to figure out what's next

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong people on the ground dedicated to doing quality work and providing high customer satisfaction.
    Beautiful working environment for some of the staff.
    Recognized leader in their business category.

Cons

Values of the company were once guiding principles but have become hollow words.
    High turn-over rate of long-time staff and leaders has become mass exodus to other healthcare agencies.
    Frequent changes in top leadership and company direction smell of desperation and lack of confidence.
    Narcissistic upper management often value their own opinions to the exclusion of common sense.
    Disjointed communication across working groups often leads to isolation and missed opportunities.

Go back in time a few years, take a survey of your employees and clients from that time then let that feedback guide your direction now.

8. Good Opportunities

Current Employee - Art Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Art Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at The CDM Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities to take charge of.

Cons

Tendency for people to become complacent and not innovative

9. Office politics and mediocrity abound

I have been working at The CDM Group full-time

Pros

Well respected company, some of senior leadership are quite talented

Cons

Large amount of recent turnover - lots of top talent have left (or, more accurately, have been pushed out) and overall employee morale is very low. Mediocre people remain because of their ability to cow tow to the C-Suite with little if any substantive contribution. Senior leadership talks about the 4 values ad nauseam, however, lacks the introspection to be actually able to live these values.

Do what you say you will and live the company values.

10. Great experience that helped shape future opportunities

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at The CDM Group as a contractor

Pros

great company, CEO was very approachable, great training, lots of classes and activities offered during work hours and afterwards, culture was awesome, people were very friendly, could see a lot of room for growth

Cons

The starting salary was very low

Lots of politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pays will compared to other companies in industry

Cons

Lots of politics. Can't trust managers. Fake. Preach life work balance. Then beat everyone up on utilization.