The CDM Group Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
106 reviews filtered by

Great Group of People to Work With

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's plenty of room to grow. Team works really well together. Benefits are good, especially the matching 401k.

Cons

Work-Live balance uneven, lots of late nights. Too much focus on process that caused bottlenecks in routing and making the deadlines established.

Advice to Management

Need to establish some flexibility on the process. Use it as a guideline and do not penalize those who work around the guidelines to meet client goals and expectations.

2. Princeton: finding our way

Former Employee - Account in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Account in Princeton, NJ

I worked at The CDM Group full-time

Pros

Great talent; great clients and brands. Resilient in the face of much change over last few years.

Cons

Princeton Culture is under attack; new leadership focused on $ vs the great creative we were once known for.

Advice to Management

If you (let your young talented and creative) build it, clients (and $) will come.

3. Great learning opportunity

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn the pharma ad agency process, top to bottom. 90% of the people are very nice and fun to be around, new business pitches are fun to be a part of, and among the worker bees, there's a lot of collaboration.

Cons

Salary is low compared to other shops, long hours, burn-and-churn model adopted late into my career that was not good for work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Hard to say now that it's been a few years removed. Hopefully more creatives were hired to help balance workload.

A mixed bag of good and not-so-good

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working for CDM is the top leadership tries to enforce Substance, Style, Conviction and Grace. Those four qualities are definitely not practices by each person, including management who are there to enforce it. Another good things is matching 401(k). I was able to save a pretty good amount in my retirement fund. Another good thing is once your hired a committee (part of HR) reviews your background to make sure your salary is commensurate with your experience.

Cons

When I was there the President was a woman, and I feel there was more compassion and kindness that trickled down from the top. I saw a number of people get promoted so I believe career growth is most definitely possible. The medical benefits were not the best I've had, but are pretty good. The dental is better than normal, that is according to my dentist!

After two years of employment you get three weeks vacation. The company closes from Christmas to after New Year's. That's an added week of vacation. They have early closings on summer Fridays. Working from home is allowed in some departments.

Advice to Management

Get down in the trenches sometimes and let the employees know you are there to support them and not just make money or prove how successful you can be in your job.

6. Creative

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

The people are smarter here than anywhere else I've worked

Cons

Never stands still. Always seems to be evolving. You've for to have an appetite for that.

Advice to Management

Continue to make good hires like new HR and IT director

7. Great Intern Experience

Former Intern - Art Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Art Intern in New York, NY

I worked at The CDM Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

CDM has wonderful employees and as an Intern everyone was very helpful and I was able to learn a lot from all of the talented people who I was able to work with. Sometimes I felt more like an employee than an intern and the projects I was given were a great learning experience and a lot of fun!

Cons

It's definitely more like an intern position than an intern program so sometimes you just have to figure it out as you go along but everyone is really friendly and it felt gratifying figuring something out for yourself.

Advice to Management

Don't call the internship a program if there's not going to be a structure. It's okay for it to be an intern position because it's a really amazing place to work.

8. Human Resources

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Exec team, lots of diversity in business, clients. Standout to competitors and everyone is mostly positive and focused on client and employee satisfaction

Cons

Lots of HR Turnover, better idea of a work/life balance, more availability to work in other locations with the exception of NJ/NJ

9. Company on the decline, once great now struggling to figure out what's next

I worked at The CDM Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong people on the ground dedicated to doing quality work and providing high customer satisfaction.
    Beautiful working environment for some of the staff.
    Recognized leader in their business category.

Cons

Values of the company were once guiding principles but have become hollow words.
    High turn-over rate of long-time staff and leaders has become mass exodus to other healthcare agencies.
    Frequent changes in top leadership and company direction smell of desperation and lack of confidence.
    Narcissistic upper management often value their own opinions to the exclusion of common sense.
    Disjointed communication across working groups often leads to isolation and missed opportunities.

Advice to Management

Go back in time a few years, take a survey of your employees and clients from that time then let that feedback guide your direction now.

10. Learning and exposure to best practices

I worked at The CDM Group

Pros

Strong leadership committed to helping employes do their best work. Extremely profitable organization with good employee benefit perks -- pilates class, free fruit, birthday day off, community service day, training opportunities.

Cons

Once you get to a certain level, there's nowhere left to go, and no direction on how to break into the inner sanctum. Unwilligness to confront conflict and low morale among all levels of employees. Traditional creative work and clients, with limited experimentation and/or innovation.

11. Good Opportunities

Current Employee - Art Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Art Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at The CDM Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities to take charge of.

Cons

Tendency for people to become complacent and not innovative