The Cambridge Institute of International Education

Christine Lin

Not that great

Former Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of young positive people.

Cons

A lot of growing pains and not much skill training.

Lies, incompetence, and internal power struggles

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers with international experience and engaging backgrounds. Free parking. Free coffee. Along a bus route.

Cons

Minimal time off. 401K with a speck of company contribution.
    Inability to match associate interests, education and abilities with job responsibilities.
    Inadequacy of vision and inflexibility with diversity of future growth.
    Distrust and secrecy between and even within departments run rampant.
    Vague promises of increased responsibilities or bonuses, but dismal return for one's efforts (e.g. I received just a 1.5% bonus at Christmas, out of the 15% dangled in front of me in my offer letter. When I asked how one could earn bonuses or quantify efforts toward bonuses just two months prior, the director of my department and 'chairman' couldn't answer this question and said they would just "know." RED FLAG.)
    Directors lack experience and education in their respective departments, but due to their time with the company they have been placed in their roles. My favorite example of this is when my director yelled, "You think I know what I'm doing?!"
    Management has no concept of business ethics, and is happy to steal intellectual property.

Ultimately, my time at Cambridge was the polar opposite of the HBR article on the 'organization of your dreams.' At Cambridge, I never felt that individual differences were nurtured - anyone could do my job or anyone else's job because my strengths were rarely played upon (though I was hired for them). Information between and within teams was consistently suppressed or spun (God forbid we work as a cohesive team). The company did not add value to my professional life but drained a lot from it. Cambridge never stood for anything other than profit, the work was not rewarding, and there were plenty of stupid rules.

The sad thing is that I repeatedly told a fictional tale about what our team did to new employees, and I certainly made us sound much more purposeful and entrepreneurial than we actually were.

I hope you get audited.

Don't just Don't ! Work at McDonalds instead

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some nice, intelligent people working there but the companies premise is built on exploiting students, and families who went an American education. They will hire just about anyone to educate these students , and don't really care what kind of families they are placed with.

Cons

Totally unethical, and dictator style of leadership. This company should not be allowed to practice they have violated a number of child endangerment laws and will soon be under investigation. Hopefully they will be shut down. They expand at an alarming rate and hire people under false pretenses once people get wind of this they leave or get fired because they brought something up.

Shut this down before you end up in Jail.

"You control your destiny"

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at the Cambridge Institute of International Education for a year and half and have really enjoyed it.I work with some really smart and talented people, the culture is young,ambitious and vibrant.
    At Cambridge there is a core group of people who are successful and have built strong relationships with each other. The key to this success is the ability to be bold with bright ideas and be smart enough to listen and adapt. I think the employees who excel here understand that flexibility is mandatory.If you can "roll with it" this is a great place to work, and you control your destiny.

Cons

The company has experienced robust growth in a short time span,which is a great problem to have. The growth has resulted in some stressful times and difficult challenges. If you don't have a healthy work/life balance,it will be difficult for you here.

I think frustration develops because there is a "bottle neck" at the middle management level. I think we need to empower more employees to branch out and make a positive impact.

I also think we all deserve a great Christmas Party ! (Off Campus) and healthy Christmas Bonuses

Not a very good company; little hope that it'll get better

Former Employee - International Program Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - International Program Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AMAZING, intelligent co-workers. Excellent growth opportunity.

Cons

Upper management. Privileged clientele. Low morale. Little support. No recognition. You name it. it's just not a good company or business model. It's a pretty demoralizing place to work.

Don't let the president get involved in the management of the company.

The company is falling into a downward spiral. I feel morally wrong recommending this job to anyone. STAY AWAY!

Former Employee - Residential Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Manager in Waltham, MA

Pros

The company hires very intelligent and enthusiastic people. They are all very like minded and everyone gets along very well.

Cons

-The review posted on September 27, 2014 is from upper management. Heed the advice of the other reviews on this site, especially the cons. I have yet to come across one that isn't correct.
    -This is a burn out company with a very high turn over rate. A lot of people leave on their own accord because they are overworked and exploited, or the CEO will decide to fire top performers just because she feels like setting a precedent and making an example. Everyday you go into the office, your job is at stake and you could be fired with no warning and no opportunity to improve.
    -They ask you to do things that are ethically wrong! I have been asked, by the CEO (Christine Lin), to place international students into households where the families had not received background checks knowing that I would have to take the fall for it.
    -More often than not, international students would request a white family and they would threaten to withdraw from the program until they were placed with one. Upper management and the Chinese team condone this and make you deny a host family based on race.
    -THIS COMPANY IS 100% MOTIVATED BY MONEY! Many of the people in the middle management positions really believe in international education but all Christine Lin cares about is how much money is going into her pocket. The company is toxic at it's core and it trickles into all aspects of its ventures. People in senior management like Christine Lin and Jeff Doretti do NOT care at all about their employees.
    -The company has doubled in size over the past year and they didn't hire any new staff. They require their employees to work massive amounts of overtime and not get paid for it. Because of this growth, they are also cutting corners with just about everything. YOU WILL NOT BE GIVE THE PROPER TOOLS AND SUPPORT TO DO YOUR JOB WELL AND YOU WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR IT.

You are in an industry where you are responsible for children's livelihoods. It is unethical to be cutting corners in this business. You need to cut the residential manager role into three different roles and hire twice as many staff. Do not let Christine Lin get involved in the day to day procedures of the company, it will only end poorly. Christine should sell the company to someone who actually cares about international education, she is too corrupted by money to accomplish what this company's alleged purposes are.

What do you do when you work for a company who lacks values, insight and is highly unethical in their practices?

Current Employee - Academic Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Academic Support in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Initial experience with ESL was highly professional and impressive. HR person listened to concerns briefly. There was a google group that was helpful. Strong book series from outside publisher.

Cons

Good businesses are managed ethically. Examine the practices of the top companies to work for in the US and abroad. Everyone at every level is learning and there is strong mentoring going on at all times for all stakeholders and strong opportunities for growth. All of these companies have a strong mission that is evident throughout every sector of the company. This is not the case with GP Homestay/Cambridge Institute of International Education.

I was substantially injured both physically and emotionally, in a position that was an unwelcoming environment, due to GP homestay or Cambridge's lack of intervention early on and lack of diplomacy.Perhaps that is because they only focus on financial growth rather than doing what is best for students and teachers. If you want to support students, you also need to support their teachers, including adjuncts.

The representative from Cambridge/GP Homestay was stressed out. overworked and desperately trying to retain his client/school, and who lacked an ability to work in an educational setting or read intelligently and thoughtfully between the lines about what was really going on at the school. He missed seeing the elephant in the room, which has caused me immense stress. One of the employees at the site who also worked for Cambridge was deliberately trying to undermine my ability to do my job effectively and that needed to be examined.Of course, the visiting rep from Cambridge could have just asked me about my concerns, but he was too busy trying to work with a large caseload and did not return emails or calls to listen to me prior to his arrival at the site from the Boston area.

Ultimately, the unethical practices by Cambridge/GP Homestay were difficult for me to even digest, particularly with what I already had to contend with. Teachers truly need the support of all stakeholders and management in order to be effective in classrooms. Teachers are on the front lines in educational environments. Everyone needs good advisers and mentors. Cambridge institute/GP Homestay and their associates have a lot to learn.

Need to really examine your core mission.

Get up show up and grow up!!

Current Employee - Current Rm in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Current Rm in Waltham, MA

I have been working at The Cambridge Institute of International Education full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment, an engaging team of leaders, constant trials and tribulations have lead to a more caring team.

Cons

The challenge lies in youth. Too many kids who feel the world owes them....management struggles to manage due to this. Kids need to leave ....hr is doing a good job of hiring older more professional people after they had to fire a bunch of losers. Best thing was leader of sister company left..now we find out he left lots of broken parts too. Teams who are here now care a lot and its getting better.

Keep going....we can see the light at end of the tunnel.

The worst management and lowest morale!

Pros

People at Cambridge are young, hard-working and nice to work with. And that's the only pro.

Cons

Morale at the company is very low. There is no room for creativity whatsoever. They promote those who like robots blindly follow instructions from the senior management. Team leaders take credit for the work of their team members and every day come up with new systems of micromanaging their team. Directors have no power and run to the president for every small decision (it makes one laugh!).

Start to appreciate your most hard-working employees. And stop being so greedy! Sending a thank you email every now and then to the whole team does not make anyone happy. Read some leadership books and observe how leaders of great companies treat their workforce.

And pregnancy or health issues is not something that talented employees should be fired for....This is not only unethical but is shameful!

The worst job experience I have ever had.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

None , really that I can conjure up. It's very sad but true. I can usually find a rainbow in the clouds but not this time.

Cons

As many, many previous reviews stated the management is only such because of tenure, not ability. Immaturity reigns supreme. The turnover is extremely high. They fired someone who was on approved medical leave (not to mention very talented), a completely unethical act. HR is uncooperative and inexperienced. I'm thinking of quitting before I even have another job lined up.

No advice to management. They wouldn't listen anyway.