The Campus Special

The Campus Special Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen

Chau Nguyen

Pros:
  • "Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate"
    in 32 reviews
  • "And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, I'm on the west coast so sometimes talking to my manager in Atlanta was difficult"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Most jobs are 9-5pm so its something that really gets you ready for when you get a full time job after graduation"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Perfect transitional job-You learn a lot!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Prosmanagement that cares & wants you to succeed, rejection training, lifelong contacts, great sales experience, potential for great money

Conscold calling in the dead of summer, long days

Advice to Senior ManagementJoey & Chau, Thanks for being so caring to your employees and having a desire for them to succeed, both while working for you and later in their career

Innovative and Progressive Company with an Exciting & Engaging Culture!

Duluth, GA

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company has gone through a transitional period and experienced some bumps in the road, but strives continually to identify areas of improvement and follow through with the appropriate changes. The company continues to work towards providing a great place to work for employees and has done this by moving towards an adaptive culture, where change is identified as an opportunity for improvement and everyone is onboard. This is definitely the right direction for the company to move in and I believe as the company continues down this path it will successful in moving forward with current goals and maintaining an innovative spirit with fully empowered employees that are high performing!

ConsAt this time, I don't have any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage employees to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Extremely Rewarding & Challenging Internship

Bellingham, WA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

ProsGet to help local businesses in your college town with their advertising strategy
Great Pay Incentives
phenomenal career partnership network
fast growing and young company with an awesome culture
get to go to a 3-day training conference in Chicago

Conspay is 100% commission based
If you want to be successful in this internship, you have to be willing to put in a lot of hours

Amazing Internship that gave me top tier sales experience!

Normal, IL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorking with Dedicated Managers, Amazing Sales Experience, Opens the Door for career Opportunities, Excellent Resume Builder, Building Relationships with Business Owners around town, Rewarded for Hard work with a comission based pay.

ConsI would not call this a con- but management is either in Chicago or Atlanta so you dont get much face to face contact with your Manager, however they are responseive to e-mails, phone calls, and text messages 24/7 and host weekly conference calls with your team!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hard work, but it pays off

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Networking
-real work experience
-amazing recommendations
-instant job placement out of college
-not bad money (I made a total of $4,000 over 3 months)
-reimbursement for some expenses
-Free training trip to Chicago
-Contests
-Fun environment

My manager, Jennie, was amazing and helped me every step along the way. For those of you who are QUESTIONING the legitimacy of this company or internship: YOU SHOULDN'T BE. YES it is hard, but it is also very rewarding. If this helps at all: I cried the first 3 days of my internship, because I didn't think I could do it. But I had made a promise to myself, my teammates, and my family that I was going to stick with it, because it would benefit my future. There were a lot of fun times and very rewarding victories throughout the internship. I learned more than I had learned in any other job I had in the past. There are weekly contests where you can win gift cards, TVs, ipads, and even a trip to Vegas if your team sells the most!

My advice:

-Be organized
-Have a plan before you go to bed
-Have rituals to help motivate yourself (jam to your favorite music in the morning, get coffeeor energy drinks, have fun with what you do)
-Don't take rejection personally
-Have the end goal in mind at all times: landing a full time job

I actually had TONS of companies contact me throughout and after my internship. I ended up accepting a job at Cumulus Detroit 2 months before I even graduated. So do yourself a favor and accept this internship and give it all you've got!

Cons-long hours
-working out of your car
-mentally difficult

One con (but kind of a pro) is that this internship will be more demanding than any full time job you will probably have.
Always know which leads are yours. Don't accidentally sell your teammates lead (like I did). It can get messy.
You will eat, breath, sleep, tweet, instagram, facebook, and vine Campus Special. This is your life for the next 3 months!!

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide us some time to do paperwork and emailing during our work hours so it doesn't cut into our outside life so much.

Most Rewarding Experience!!!

San Marcos, TX

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

ProsThis was the best experience I have had so far.. It teaches you about real world Business to Business sales and gives you a great feel at the financial potential in the sales industry. It is not easy work you will need to work hard but the rewards are amazing. And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun! I am so grateful I took this opportunity.!

ConsThe hours you put in are a lot but they are very worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach more about the product during training

Best internship if your goal is to land a career in sales

San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

Pros-REAL sales experience
-This internship will give you countless stories to strengthen your interviews for a career position after college: goal attainment, overcoming challenges, problem solving, running your own business
-Your manager will help you with your resume and will provide a letter of recommendation as you interview for career positions
-This internship absolutely helped me land my current position at a Fortune 500 marketing services company

ConsIf sales is not for you, this internship will not be enjoyable. It is a very challenging, outside sales role but I found that the challenges I faced gave me valuable experiences I could speak to in interviews, cover letters, and my resume was definitely stronger due to this internship.

Excellent internship to give you hands on sales experience

Chicago, IL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

ProsThis internship gave me hands on sales experience. It taught me how to properly utilize the sales steps. This internship gave me a lot of insight into sales and made me realize that this is the career path I want to pursue. After the internship, when I was heading into my senior year of college and was job searching, I was able to impress many companies with my experience from this internship. I now have a full time job waiting for me when I graduate in June and I credit part of it to my internship at Campus Special because during interviews I had so many exact examples to certain behavioral questions. This internship is challenging and will challenge your emotions, but I guarantee that anyone that puts 100% of their effort into the internship will come out of it a stronger individual.

ConsI wished that I had more statistics on the return previous clients have gotten from Campus Special. A lot of businesses wanted hard data and ROI numbers, but I never was given any of these statistics and this sometimes made it challenging to close a very tough client that wouldn't get past this important question.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice the company to do research and surveys on previous clients of Campus Special and find out their return from the coupon and mobile application. Having these numbers would make selling and the job of future internships much easier and smoother. It would add SO much credibility to the company. It would be beneficial for interns to be able to say "Well XYZ Pizza Co. on ABC streets return last year was this ______, and I would love to get you a return similar or better than that. I know the coupon and mobile would be excellent for your restaurant"

The best hands-on direct sales experience with the most influential college marketing organization in the country.

Syracuse, NY

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

ProsIndependent work, strong support system and training, and excellent compensation for college interns. Campus Special offers the most direct experience for any student interested in sales or any business communications field. I not only enjoyed my time working for CS, but gained an array of professional and interpersonal skills that have already shown themselves useful in every aspect of college life.

ConsRigid internship structure (set number of weeks/hours), no base compensation for newer, tougher markets. Good experience but could be better with little to no drawbacks for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up different internship levels (part-time, independent Senior Account Executives, etc) in addition to the standard internship to allow more students to gain experience and generate more sales across the board.

AN INTERNSHIP YOU MUST TAKE!

Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat support system, rewarding experience, access to career partners, outstanding sales experience, character and professional growth.

If you are reading this review and are debating about whether or not to take this internship, TAKE IT! It is the absolute best decision you can make for your career. Not only are the people you meet from Campus Special the most supportive and optimistic people you have probably ever met, but they all want to see you succeed and will do absolutely anything to help you achieve your goals. This internship was no walk in the park, but it has opened up hundreds of doors for me- opportunities that I would have never even dreamt of. Every single future employer will be very impressed with the experience you will acquire from this internship, so if you're looking for an internship that will jump start your career and place you far above your fellow classmates, look no further! This internship changed my life, and I am confident it will be very beneficial to you as well!

ConsLong hours, challenging situations, but overall- it is definitely worth the stress!

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing- you all are GREAT!!

Worked for The Campus Special? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Campus Special reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Campus Special CEO Chau Nguyen. All 217 reviews posted anonymously by The Campus Special employees.