The Campus Special

The Campus Special Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen

Chau Nguyen

Pros:
  • "Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate"
    in 32 reviews
  • "And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, I'm on the west coast so sometimes talking to my manager in Atlanta was difficult"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Most jobs are 9-5pm so its something that really gets you ready for when you get a full time job after graduation"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Barely Legal Pyramid Scheme

Washington, DC

ProsTrip to meet other interns provides one an opportunity to network with other college students from around the country.

ConsLegality of the operation is questionable. While the internship is, "paid," your payment is directly tied to your performance. After two weeks of work I had already lost nearly $600 on travel expenses. Their business model of working with local businesses near colleges works in specific markets. Hard to communicate with manager as they are only available through phone and email and located in Georgia. No reimbursement for travel expenses -- and for how much you drive you need to make at least $2,500 over the summer in compensation to break even. Most of my friends and colleagues quit the internship after one month due to the ridiculous nature and demands made by management,

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand more and provide actual advice to your interns. Listening in on phone calls and teaching us to annoy someone until they purchase a product they don't want or need doesn't follow sound business ethics.

Life changing and confidence building!!

Detroit, MI

ProsGreat experience, helped build confidence and knowledge as a young business professional.

ConsSometimes hard dealing with rejection but all well worth it in the long run. Persistence pays

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micromanagement for top reps.

Rewarding experience that any college student interested in sales should take advantage of

Wilmington, NC

Pros- You will grow so much both professionally and personally throughout the summer
    - Teaches you to be self-motivated
    - Training conference in Chicago was a great experience and really helped set the stage for the rest of the summer
    - Support from the managers was excellent
    - Company wide conference calls on Wednesdays really motivate you to finish the week strong
    - Recruiters love seeing the quantitative data you will be able to put on your resume at the end of the internship
    - Very easy to relate your experiences in this internship with many questions you will be asked in interviews
    - Lots of Career Partners who want to hire Campus Special interns

Overall, a great experience that I would advise any college student interest in sales to take advantage of.

Cons- A lot of driving is required and paying for gas throughout the summer can get expensive
    - Make sure to stay on top of how much they owe you in commission because they mess it up every once in a while
    - Very challenging work, but it is definitely worth it in the end

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The experience I had with Campus Special was unforgettable.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThere were many pros throughout this internship. I was able to grow professionally. I became much more confident and learned a lot about sales in one short summer.

ConsThere really were no cons to working for Campus Special. It was a very developmental summer and I learned a lot through this internship.

Perfect transitional job-You learn a lot!

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Columbia, SC

Prosmanagement that cares & wants you to succeed, rejection training, lifelong contacts, great sales experience, potential for great money

Conscold calling in the dead of summer, long days

Advice to Senior ManagementJoey & Chau, Thanks for being so caring to your employees and having a desire for them to succeed, both while working for you and later in their career

You get what you put in

Atlanta, GA

ProsThis company gives you great opportunities to meet an array of different people, travel and build skills that are necessary in the business world. You work hard, it pays off. You will get bonuses, strong connections with higher ups, as well as having future opportunities with their Fortune 500 businesses they are partnered with.

ConsIt is hard work. If you are an Account Executive, your whole summer is dedicated to this internship. You will for sure work 8 hours a 5 days a week, sometimes 12 hours and sometimes on the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my understanding, C$ is making a lot of changes in the management. Company is growing big time. Hope they are able to maintain a personal relationship with the employees.

Internship that provides life long experience and relationships!

State College, PA

ProsWorking as an intern at The Campus Special allowed for endless networking, building of life long relationships with other interns and the entire Campus Special team. The best part is getting to work in your college town for the whole summer and build on the relationships with the local businesses that help grow and support your university. This internship allows you to be independent while having a strong supportive team to push you for great success.

ConsThere are no cons! This is an internship that allows you to show your dedication and how hard you are willing to work to be successful which is a huge learning experience for when you have your first full time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! I can see after 6 years the growth of The Campus Special and I'm not surprised because of the life long relationships that you keep after the internship is over. Chau has been an amazing support system over the years with providing a friendship, career advice and much more. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for my internship and relationships with them.

Excellent internship to give you hands on sales experience

Chicago, IL

ProsThis internship gave me hands on sales experience. It taught me how to properly utilize the sales steps. This internship gave me a lot of insight into sales and made me realize that this is the career path I want to pursue. After the internship, when I was heading into my senior year of college and was job searching, I was able to impress many companies with my experience from this internship. I now have a full time job waiting for me when I graduate in June and I credit part of it to my internship at Campus Special because during interviews I had so many exact examples to certain behavioral questions. This internship is challenging and will challenge your emotions, but I guarantee that anyone that puts 100% of their effort into the internship will come out of it a stronger individual.

ConsI wished that I had more statistics on the return previous clients have gotten from Campus Special. A lot of businesses wanted hard data and ROI numbers, but I never was given any of these statistics and this sometimes made it challenging to close a very tough client that wouldn't get past this important question.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice the company to do research and surveys on previous clients of Campus Special and find out their return from the coupon and mobile application. Having these numbers would make selling and the job of future internships much easier and smoother. It would add SO much credibility to the company. It would be beneficial for interns to be able to say "Well XYZ Pizza Co. on ABC streets return last year was this ______, and I would love to get you a return similar or better than that. I know the coupon and mobile would be excellent for your restaurant"

Get out while you can!!!

(Former Employee)

ProsYou get to go to Chicago is about the only pro. However, you are in meetings all day from 8-6 so its not like you can do anything fun.

ConsFirst of all let me start off by saying....EVERY single person in upper management (vice president, all the regional and national managers) have LEFT the company since my internship ended in August. If this was a good company there is no way that all the upper management would just get up and leave.

Also, every single positive review on here is written by the company. You need to go back like 5 pages if you want to really see how the experience is instead of reading all of these reviews.

As far as the internship goes, you will wake up every morning and just go from business to business and get told no so many times. If you aren't selling, the company will believe you are not working and will accuse you of not putting in enough time or hours. You DO NOT get reimbursed for any gas, so while I made $3,000 this summer $1,300 of that went toward my gas soooo I could have worked at a job for $7.25 an hour and made more last summer.

You have to have a conference call with your manager every single day. If you don't have a conference call, you have to send them an email writing down EVERY business (30+ a day at least) that you went to and what happened in each of them.

Lastly, DON'T get sick while working with them. I got really sick one day and had to go to the emergency room and my manager didn't believe me and thought I was lying just to get out of working. It is like a high school clique!

terrible

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsTraining conference to Chicago - they say its all expenses paid but that is a lie, i was never reimbursed for anything and your not even in Chicago, your at an airport hotel 45 min outside Chicago

Consthe management does not listen to your concerns about their strategy, I had legitimate concerns and voiced my opinion only to be told I was not trying hard enough. I was loosing money trying to sell a product that business had no returns on. Owners would tell me they paid 75% less for the product the year before and saw next to no return, so why would they buy something that did not work for more money, it was like beating a dead horse.

Since the campus special, I moved on to a sales job in NYC and I have been very successful, thus to say, it was not me, it was the product and the leadership.

Also, according to LinkedIn, 95% of the management from last year is gone, likely fired.

Worked for The Campus Special? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Campus Special reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Campus Special CEO Chau Nguyen. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by The Campus Special employees.