The Campus Special

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate (in 36 reviews)

• And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, challenging situations, but overall- it is definitely worth the stress (in 25 reviews)

• Most jobs are 9-5pm so its something that really gets you ready for when you get a full time job after graduation (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Biggest waste of effort/time/mental stability

I worked at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

Pros

ABSOLUTLEY nothing... I've read through these reviews and everyone says the CEO is okay and helpful but that is misleading. He is just as misleading and phony as his "managers".

Cons

Literally everything... You can't begin anywhere. The whole company is a huge joke. It's kinda funny. This company has a 4/5 rating.... I'm guessing there "managers" get on here once a week and flood it with made up bs reviews to maintain that 4/5 rating smh haha... Those reviews are so fake and generic it's not even funny. There is no sincerity at all

Stop ruining the lives of college students and tell them the truth about what to expect. My god you won't even give a base pay to these kids that are willing to work hard for you so at least be honest to them. THEY AT LEAST DESERVE THAT!

The Campus Special can be a great experience but can also be a nightmare.

Current Employee - Account Executive Intern  in  Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive Intern in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. The all expenses conference- It really makes you feel like a young professional instead of a college student. It is a great place to network with career partners (this year they added a career fair) and other students across the country. Overall a really cool experience.

2. Some aspects of the company culture are really cool. Your managers are very reachable and seem like they are always trying to motivate you. Chau, the CEO, gets on your levels and tries to be a CEO that isn't behind the scenes but it more interactive with all parts of the company.

3. You'll make money- IF you work hard AND are in a good market that isn't divided too many times.

Cons

I had a really bad experience with Campus Special. I did not seek out this internship because as a sophomore, I didn't think I needed an internship yet. My manager personally emailed me and recommended I apply. So I did, and within a week, I had three interviews and was hired on the spot. I turned down three other jobs I had lined up for the summer for this. I am used to working hard (2-5 jobs) every summer to pay my car or my debts since I turned 16. I thought if I worked hard I would make at least the lower end of the "average pay"($2,500) which would make up for not working my other jobs.

Keep in mind that if the minimum wage is 8.25 and you are working 40 hours a week, you would walk away with $3,960 at the end of the summer (this is a 12 week program)

When I was hired, I made the assumption I was the only intern hired in my college town of 26,000. This was my mistake. Keep in mind, my university has a declining enrollment and the region it is in is known to be poor and economically struggling. Maybe ONE more intern would have been okay, but no, they hired FOUR.

I met another group at the conference with my same manager. Their "intern team" has three people. Their territory was Tampa, Florida, which has a population exceeding 360,000 people.

I'm not making excuses, I am telling the facts here.

Technically I am still employed at this internship but not for much longer because financially I can't do it. I am now in a very stressful financial situation, looking for another job, and locked into my summer lease.

Some people who go to college in large towns, large cities, or rich suburbs might see a pretty dollar and much success out of this internship. For others, Campus Special can be dishonest to you and screw you over by over-saturating your market.

Emotionally, I can take being said "no" to by business owners but my self esteem can't take working my butt off an entire summer and then getting nothing but disappointment out of it. When I can't make my situation better and am running out of businesses to go to by week three(they require you to make 30 in person business calls a day), I have a problem.

Other issues I have:

1. The attitude with this company might appeal to some but to others it is over exaggerated and just juvenile. I was on the fence about it but honestly I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious sports fans . The higher-ups in this company try to show the interns how hip they are to a ridiculous degree. They literally sent out a video of themselves shot gunning red bulls. My manager said he doesn't even drink red bull and might be wired on this particular day...meaning he was told/forced to do it and wasn't doing it out of free will.

2. They act like every other college student who isn't doing this internship is partying or at the pool. WRONG. I sacrificed for this internship and have worked my butt off 60+ hours a week during every summer I was old enough to work. People can't just go to college anymore and not work. That's a mislead stereotype they promote and act like you are so much better for doing this internship.

3. Before they sell you the products, the (over)sell the internship. As a college student ready to put good experience on a resume, they take advantage of you. It IS too good to be true. Considering I was ASKED to apply, it can't be that good of an internship.

4. They WILL ask you to lie when selling their product. They act like it is a white lie but a lie is a lie. They want you to fake deadlines and act like you were the biggest fan of this product since first day of freshman year even if you were not at all.

5. In some markets, their products/mediums just don't work. They never even train you on that. They give you testimonials for a few college but not your market. What works great in Kansas might not work great somewhere else, for example.

6. Even when a renewal or non-renewal client gives perfectly good reasons why they can't buy (I just can't afford it because I just had a baby and have to pay more mangers, I can't even pay my employees, we ran the same coupon in the newspaper and got more of those returned to our business) they INSIST you go back five times. At some point you will feel like you are harassing people into buying instead of doing your job.

7. It is ALL commission based so they don't compensate you for gas or your efforts even if you are trying hard without getting sales. I LOST money while doing this internship because I was driving to businesses. I tried to walk most of the time but when I started feeling drained because it is 90 degrees out or I'm getting harassed, then I tend to want to drive more.

8. They expect you to feel comfortable talking, venting, and relying on your manager who you've only talked to on the phone a handful of times before the internship and met in person at the three day conference. You really can't develop a working relationship that way. Maybe that model works for some but not for most.

9. They will send you tips but you really don't get much hands on training. The hands on training IS the internship and the managers are in a different time zone in Atlanta. While it's fine and dandy to be available via phone, this internship lacks the in person aspect.

10. They will basically promote the idea to work all the time,work past the designated hours, and sacrifice all other aspects of your life. This work hard mentality has pros and cons but I rather see a company promote life BALANCE and efficiency. They say "work hard, play later," a saying that is promoted in grades schools, but when do they play? My manager told me he hasn't spent time with his wife because he is working late every night and works on weekends. No one regrets working hard but people DO regret not spending enough time with loved ones on their death beds.

PLEASE be honest and upfront about everything when you interview intern candidates especially in regards to the fraction of territory they end up getting instead of the whole college town.

Waste of my time.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Campus Special

Pros

You can do what you want during the day, because they aren't here!!

Cons

1. They con you into thinking you are super special and that a lot of students applied for this internship, but YOU were selected out of all of these students to represent Campus Special. How can this be true when I literally had 2 interviews and then was offered the job on the spot?

2. Second of all, they try to sell you on the fact that you get a "free trip to Chicago." This is pretty cool because Chicago is cool. However, they fail to mention the fact that the hotel is 45 minutes OUTSIDE of Chicago. On the plus side, it is right next to a casino.

3. If you enjoy being harassed at all hours of the day, then this job is for you. Your manager will call you, text you, and email you more times than you can blink. This is THE MOST ANNOYING PART OF THE INTERNSHIP. Hands down. Your manager will even text you before 9 am and after 5 pm almost every day. Leave me alone.

4. The motivational quotes. Okay... I am not in the 5th grade. I do not need to hear 27 motivational quotes per day. This does not help me succeed, it just makes me dislike the managers and Campus Special even more.

5. "5 after 5 pm." This is soooo annoying. They want you to go to 5 businesses after 5:00 pm. So basically, they tell you from the get go that this is a 9-5 internship but REALLY, they want you to work until about 7 or 8 pm just to make them money. This is ridiculous. My life has never nor will never revolve around Campus Special and I refuse to give the 8 or so hours before I go to sleep to Campus special as well.

6. So far this summer I have made about $300. If you can do simple math, you will realize that $300 does not cover the most basic human needs for 8 weeks.

7. NO ONE WANTS TO DO IT. NO ONE LIKES IT. How can you sell a product that you yourself does not believe in? How could you believe in something when no one wants to do it? Ridiculous.

Basically.. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! This was one of the worst decisions I've ever made. My list of cons could go on and on but I have to be up in 7 hours for another day of torture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy Job

Former Employee - Account Executive/Event Marketing Manager  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Event Marketing Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at The Campus Special as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Super easy. Easy to manage. Easy to communicate with the supervisor. Easy to organize people to pass out coupon books.

Cons

Wish the program lasted longer. It was so easy. There is really nothing else bad about this position. Everything was wonderful.

Internship Overview

Current Employee - Intern  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

Pros

AMAZING AMAZING SUPPORT SYSTEM from your managers however your success is based NOT ONLY on effort but also on the city in which you are operating. In my experience, working on a team of 5 there were only 3 sales in the first 3 weeks, 2 of which were to renewal accounts. It is extremely difficult to work in a city where the product you are selling does not really work.

The career opportunities are amazing if you are working in the right area.

Cons

FOR THE WORK YOU ARE DOING THE PAY IS AWFUL, the amount of work that must be done outside of the 9-5 is extremely high

there needs to be an adjustment to how the interns are paid...

Best stepping stone to my career!

Former Employee - Account Executive/Event Marketing Manager  in  Kutztown, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Event Marketing Manager in Kutztown, PA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

If you're majoring in marketing or anything that deals with communications or just sales in general, take this internship. Best kind of internship for sales careers that helps prep you for the real world. Completely responsible and dependent on yourself. Manager is there for anything via the phone. Career Partners program puts you face to face with employers.

Cons

Not easy internship. You really have to put your all into it if you wanna see good results, but shouldn't you anyways? Was a new market and it seemed it was a little more difficult than renewal markets. Have to put in most of your free time to prepping for the upcoming night. Only commission based pay.

Was definitely there for the account executives at all times. Only thing that would've helped would be for them to physically be there in person with the AE's selling to help determine each market's selling position.

With Campus Special, what you put into it is definitely what you get out of it

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

- great management
    - good pay for an internship with great potential bonuses
    - networking opportunities
    - wonderful training experience in Chicago or Atlanta

Cons

- amount of miles driven daily

keep it up!

Prepare to be brainwashed

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- free training IF you work three weeks into the summer
    - approachable CEO
    - if you absolute believe your future is in sales, they do seemingly have good career partners

Cons

- very manipulative company
    - they brainwash the hell out of you at the training conference and you don't even realize it
    - they have you driving all around town using A LOT of gas
    - if you're on the fence about whether you should take this opportunity or not, I would honestly shy away from it
    - get paid crap / you're selling a product for someone else

Worst experience ever in my life

I worked at The Campus Special full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no good pros about this company . All they do at the conference is give motivational speeches.

Cons

Guys make a better decision and move on to a better internship. This internship is a big fat joke. First they get you to go to a 'free' trip to chicago where you are literally have to study everything I mean everything in four days. Lets be real can you learn everything in four days? . Not only your life is a living hell there for four days in top of that wake up by 8 am everyday and spend a whole day in a hotel. I dedicated all my time and energy and passion because I love marketing, but this company is just a joke, yes you will hear a lot of NO'S from the owners but they are right. We have a better marketing medium here in our state then them. Your work will start from 9 am until 5 pm .I dont think so you literally have to work all day. No reimbursement for gas at all . And all you will be doing is wasting money. Guys I have been an intern before with another company and had so much fun with no pressure what so ever . An internship is a learning phase of your career where you learn, but this company will basically use you like a slave. Make a better decision guys and move on to a better opportunity. By the way all these reviews I'm certain are written by their employees. Be realistic!!! I hope all of you the best of luck .

Stop selling hard working students dreams. Shut down your company please.

God-awful Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Chicago Trip, but not even that is worth slaving away each day in the hot California weather and getting told a bunch of no's and come back later's.

Cons

Everything. I hated this internship so much and I'm ashamed of myself for getting fooled by these tricksters. I was tricked into thinking that I had potential and that I was special, but they will hire anyone who is foolish enough to even want to apply. This has certainly taught me to be very careful about all decisions I make in life, because this seriously is the worst I have ever made in my life. It's horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on any soul.

Pay the interns hourly and compensate them for gas money. They're doing all your work, so they are worth more than just 10% of every non-existent sale

Worked for The Campus Special? Contribute to the Community!