The Campus Special

www.campusspecial.com
Employer Engaged

Best opportunity out there!

Former Intern - Account Executive in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Hands down the best thing I have ever done to prepare myself for the workforce. I would strongly recommend this internship to anyone interested in the business field or anyone wanting to boost their resume. I did this internship this past summer and since then I haven't met a single recruiter that hasn't been blown away by all of the quantitative results I have to show. My manager this past year was amazing. I called her anytime I needed some help making a pitch, designing a marketing plan for a company, or just a morale boost. Great support all around and truly great quality people working at this company. I definitely grew as a person from doing this internship. I've developed self confidence and tenacity that distinguishes me from my peers. The training conference in Chicago is awesome! Great key note speakers, A LOT of learning, and a lot of networking and new friends. I would say definitely do this internship. It's tough, but so extremely rewarding.

Cons

This is an internship that you get out of what you put in. It's very tiring at times and certainly demanding. Managers expect you to come out EVERY DAY and give it your best and to make every opportunity a learning experience. If you're someone that typically does something half-way and expects results, keep looking.

Great for gaining hands on sales experience

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They fly you to Chicago for a training conference which is really cool. You get to meet a lot of people and gain a lot of hands on B2B sales experience. It will absolutely help you get a job after graduating. Looks great on your resume. If you stick with this internship for the whole summer, the management at Campus Special does everything they can to help you get a job after completing this internship.

Cons

No base pay, just commission. 10% for Account Executive. It would also be a lot better if your manager were located in the city you work in. All management interaction is done through phone calls/texts/emails/conference calls.

Hire managers that can work around the campuses where the interns are selling.

Challenging and Rewarding!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Duluth, MN

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will be pushed to your absolute limits, but there truly is no better way to grow and find yourself. I had no idea what I wanted to do and this opened up so many doors for me. You will meet so many amazing people and form bonds with people that will be very beneficial to your future.

Cons

It's a lot of work. You have to be willing to go the extra mile and really step out of your comfort zone.

Keep up the good work!

Great career opportunities

Former Intern - Account Executive in Huntington, WV
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Huntington, WV

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was very happy with my internship with Campus Special. During the summer of my internship, I evolved to become a better worker. I was selected to travel to multiple markets to raise that markets value and the company paid for all traveling expenses. Management was awesome and supported me through all the highs and lows. The internship also opened many opportunities after graduation. Their career partners begin to recruit you almost immediately after the internship is over. If you have the opportunity to work Campus Special, you MUST do it!

Cons

The hours are very long. If you do not have the discipline to concentrate on the task at hand, this internship is not for you. The job requires time and great deal of hard work. Also, the compensation is not the greatest unless you are making a high level of sales. They have a bonus program that is attainable, but you have got to work hard. If you can manage living on $200 and up income per week, you will be alright. If not, consider saving money up before the start of the internship.

Challenging and Stressful.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Managers work hard to support you.

Cons

Training was not that great.

More rigorous training.

It was a wonderful experience that provided me with the skills I wanted and needed to take me to the next step.

Current Intern - Account Executive in Mankato, MN
    Current Intern - Account Executive in Mankato, MN

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Managers work hard for their interns and will do what they can to make interns successful. The Chicago training conference was not only fun, but a great learning experience that is needed before going out on the job in whatever market you are in. If you work hard for them they will for surely make sure that you are taken care of.

Cons

I wish I would have known that I had negotiating power before going out into the field. Solely commission based (with great bonus structure), so you get what you put into it.

More role play at the training conference and tell interns straight up what they can do earlier on in summer.

To say there are better places to work would be an understatement.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

In terms of the people/organization you are working for, there are no pros to working there.

Cons

Work-life balance for interns and managers is non-existent. Expect to work 10-12 hours every day. 90 percent of all interns make enough money to sustain their expenses on the job, which they are not compensated for. The leadership does not inspire true growth, only to make sales. You truly are just seen as a number at this company. Training is on the job. As a manager, you will attend meetings at least two hours a day, and they also expect you to not leave for lunch because they expect you to eat what they give you. Don't expect to be able to leave your cubicle without being checked on moments after you get up. The politics within this company is a huge turn off. Upper management have favorites, even besides their top performers who receive special treatment in the form of actually not yelling at a select few.

Revamp the management. Give back to your employees in forms other than social lunches. Inspire true personal growth instead of just saying you inspire it.

Great company to work for.

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

The training process is excellent.

Cons

Commission is hard to come by depending on your location.

The culture of the company is fun and management just wants to see you succeed.

Former Intern - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The training conference in Chicago. The managers are approachable and really want to help.

Cons

Compensation is solely commission based.

I learned I hate sales

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Real-world sales experience that gives you a really good idea of whether or not a career in sales is for you.

Cons

The leadership breeds you to be bloodthirsty and stop at nothing. They spent more time focussing on bragging about the great salespeople than they did helping the ones having trouble.

The Campus Special Photos