The Campus Special

The Campus Special Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen

Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate (in 36 reviews)

• And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, challenging situations, but overall- it is definitely worth the stress (in 25 reviews)

• Most jobs are 9-5pm so its something that really gets you ready for when you get a full time job after graduation (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

DON'T DO SUMMER INTERNSHIP

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work by yourself, if thats what you like. The support team is really positive and friendly, such as your managers and sales team.

Cons- Pay is awful.
    - Constantly annoying and soliciting business owners throughout the town.
    - Work by yourself the entire week.
    - Campus Special essentially has 750 students to use as slaves to go door-to-door and sell their product, with almost no investment in them what so ever, because you are paid 100% on commission.
    - Campus Special really hypes this job to be a learning and paid internship with so much value, when all you learn is how to be broke, not afford gas money, and annoying every business owner you cross.
    - Make sure you are in a college town were the economy is solely based off the student population. Where I worked the city had close to 80,000 residents and could care less about marketing towards the student population.
    - I felt like a Jehovah Witness the entire summer

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a better way to pay your students. And tell them they are COLD CALLERS before you hire and train them.

With Campus Special, what you put into it is definitely what you get out of it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- great management
    - good pay for an internship with great potential bonuses
    - networking opportunities
    - wonderful training experience in Chicago or Atlanta

Cons- amount of miles driven daily

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up!

Great starting company!

Account Executive Summer Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- The commission rate is high (10%)
    - Great for early business experience
    - There is a strong support system for those with less experience, especially those in sales positions.
    - It's one of the few paid internships

Cons- The position is remote, so there is little face to face contact with other employees.
    - The expectations can be unreasonable at times.
    - Any unsuccessful business will blame the sales person and can harm their reputation within the community.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow students to realize that there are other future options besides sales. Pushing sales on a student that is unsure of her future may push her in the wrong direction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DON'T FALL FOR THE FREE TRIP TO CHICAGO! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsThe free trip to Chicago! That's about it! I got to meet a lot of cool people there (but you're 45 mins outside of the city so you're lucky if you even make it there). Also I'm way more cautious now when it comes to taking a new job.

ConsI've never written a review about a company before so the fact I'm taking a proactive role to warn other college students not to take ths internship should tell you a lot. it's been over a year since I did my internship and I'm still scarred from the horrible experience I had with Campus Special. This company is deceitful and will take advantage of naive college students who are just looking to forward their professional skills with an internship, but are instead fooled into becoming straight up solicitors.
    For starters, this company hires almost anyone on the spot. They made me believe I was selected from a wide range of candidates that applied and that their internships are very competitive, but three weeks after the application deadline closed they hired two more "Account Executives" to join our team.
    The training conference in Chicago is hell! You are literally in a hotel conference room from 8 am to 6 pm because they are trying to teach you about the products and how to do a sales pitch, but they don't prepare you at all for all the rejection that is to come. NOBODY and I repeat NOBODY wants to buy their product because it just doesn't work. I should've known better when I compared the coupon book I got on my freshman year to the one I got last year, it's drastically smaller.
    Everyone you will work with will quit, from upper management to interns. Everyone just gets fed up with how unfair and unrewarding this internship is. My whole team quit in the first week!!! and I would've quit too if it wasn't because they force you to reimburse them back the money for the Chicago trip which was around a thousand dollars.
    After I realized what a big joke this internship was, I fooled my manager into thinking that I was doing work for OVER THREE WEEKS until I was no longer contractually obliged to pay them back for the Chicago trip. And she had to put up with it because i was the only one willing to keep working!
    In all seriousness, if you really want to gain valuable experience and put all your college learning into real-life work, DON'T DO THIS INTERNSHIP! It's a complete waste of time. A monkey could do this job, but even he wouldn't want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so deceitful and quit telling college kids that this is an internship. It's really door-to-door soliciting!

Don't do it!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople skills and learning to sell

ConsYou use all the money you make on sales to fill your gas tank. Sales managers push you to continue harassing business owners who have better things to do than listen to some marketing pitch. It's a pyramid scheme. Yes, the company was on the Inc. 5000 list 4 years in a row, but that only measure money made by a company. All this company is, is a more expensive form of advertising made to look like this company is trying to help these businesses, but it is all about profits for the high up people. I'm disgusted in myself for even doing this internship for the short time that I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit your job and find something to do other than use college students to pay your bills.

Legal slavery

Account Executive Summer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsChau is amazingly humble and accessible.

ConsThey lie and say it's a 9-5 job but it's NOT. Most days I worked 8-7:30 pm. And I had to send an end of a day report AND type in a paragraph about each of the 30 businesses I entered daily. So basically you're writing an essay every night. There's no travel compensation. No base salary. My manager demanded me to watch tutorial videos late on Sunday night. Managers call and text all the time with "motivational quotes" which are really a nice way of saying " remember to slave away interns!" And in addition, they constantly blackmail interns with references. "You don't want us to give a bad reference when your next employer asks us about you." That's exactly that they all say. Interns only make 10% commission, when we fuel the whole company. We are the main ones selling the product, but we get the lowest cut. It's exploitation to the max. This company is great for cut-throat sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement from a manager that is not out in the trenches with the interns is ineffective.

The 4 mandatory conference calls during time periods we could go into businesses is RIDICULOUS and counterproductive. 4 hours wasted every week (each conference call an hour) just to hear a bunch of managers gloat for 15 minutes, motivational quotes for 10 minutes, and regurgitated information for the remaining 35 minutes.

Campus Special Internship

Campus Special Account Executive (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proswas okay, i guess, very time consuming.

Consnot much pay, but whatever, good experience though

Advice to Senior Managementpay interns more please, too much time commitment to take over our whole summer. at least compensate us a little more.

The Reason I'm Employable After College!

Account Executive (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

Pros--Great training

--So many career opportunities opened after graduation! No employer snubs their nose at this experience--they're all instantly impressed and interested!

--Enthusiastic colleagues

--Real-life experience

--The company really is there for you after you graduate. Whatever you need professionally, they're there for you.

Cons--Can be hard to face rejection in sales, but your sales manager will get you through it! They're such inspirational people!

--Can have low pay if you don't get a lot of sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, guys! Thanks so much for helping college students leverage their careers.

Nothing you would ever imagine... but WORTH IT

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe biggest reason to work here? My experience from the internship with out a doubt helped me land my job with a Fortune 100 company, that I applied to on my own. My new manager even commented at how hard Campus Special was and was worth it because where I ended up. I agree with it because it's true.
    With that said, was this internship easy? NO! Let me repeat- NO! Door to door sales and cold calling is not a walk in the park. But, those Campus Special stories are priceless for interviews, and will truly will help set you a part from other candidates. Through the Campus Special experience, you discover the type of worker you truly are because ultimately it's up to you how much you put into it (your manager is not in your area). From all those meetings with business owners, you will gain a certain confidence and professionalism that will put you miles ahead from those graduating college who just did not have that same experience and trust me when it's time to interview for your dream job you will be ready.
    From someone who has graduated college recently, job searching is extremely difficult (more difficult than I expected, you'll see) and you want to make sure that the internship you choose helps you make that process easier aka get those interviews. Campus Special has a great Career Partners program with employers reaching out to you, and I did get some offers. Also, the experience from Campus Special helps set your resume apart to get that first round interview when you are applying on your own.

So, what exactly will you gain?
    -Professionalism when dealing with clients and prospects, integrity in how much you put into it, hard work because you will not do well unless you do this, being able to work mostly independently but also a part of a team, product knowledge, sales skills, how to multitask, consult, and negotiate, how to compete, how to manage emotions through all different highs and lows and rejection, how to deal with all different types of business owners, more responsibilities then you ever imagined (but great to enter the real world)

ConsRejection, rejection and more rejection! But you will become used to it and it won't be so bad... I promise.
    Lots and lots of hours... email reports...
    Sometimes I felt, obnoxious sales approaches
    I felt like I had to rebuild a lot of trust in the product from past clients who were unhappy for whatever reason
    Strictly commission pay- lots of it will go to gas money. BE AWARE
    I think the market you are in can either help bring good luck or bad luck to your summer

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there should be someone from corporate coming around to the different markets checking on the interns, shadowing for the day, helping with their sales pitches, etc. I think this would help the overall morale and knowledge for the intern so they don't feel so lost and feel a connection to corporate.
    Also, there should be someone from corporate that comes to the market and rebuilds trust again with certain clients where there are problems beyond the intern's control
    I wish Campus Special allowed us more time to understand our unique market. I felt my manager too many different markets and I wish we had more time to focus on my market's strategy, instead of such general information

The best job I've ever had, hands down

Account Executive (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood money
    Taught me responsibility and made me a more driven person
    This company has given back to me 10 fold what I gave to them
    Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate

ConsCold calling is hard and intimidating at times
    Rejection

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend having managers in each city where the interns are to check in with them in person

Worked for The Campus Special? Contribute to the Community!