The Campus Special Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

The training session in Chicago was fun. They pay for the majority of the trip, which is great. Recently acquired by Cheeg.

Cons

Horrible, I did not enjoy this internship, bad work style with bad pay. Managers are helpful, but can only do so much over a phone.

BEWARE before you work here.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is great amazing young people with drive and enthusiasm.. until they take it away form you

Cons

MICROMANAGED. They listen to your phone calls and stalk your computer treating you like a child. everything is scripted you cannot even think for yourself. SUMMER HOURS 8:00-UNTIL usually no lunch break your in jail chained to your desk on the phone. If you get up for even a few minutes upper management wants to know where you are. You are promised tons of commission and WILL NEVER see it they find every reason to withhold it. Unobtainable sales goals they will lie and claim can be hit. No opportunity to grow there is literally no opportunity when I was told there was. All lies.

Advice to Management

back off you hired everyone there because of their ability and talent let them do their job... not everything needs a script, meeting or talk

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any. Anything that used to be a pro about this company is long gone. I used to work at the corporate office and I can confirm that they make their employees write fake positive reviews.....so don't believe any positive reviews on here.

Cons

Not really sure where to start. 100% turnover not once, but twice (the mass exodus is coming) in two years speaks volumes about how this company is ran. The CEO is a liar and only cares about himself and his cars. Its so funny to see him go on these speeches where he literally pauses and pretends he is getting choked up over something so it shows that it matters to him....the entire company sees right through it, knows he is a liar, and laughs behind his back. The directors who run this company learned how to manage through a "look mom, I learned to manage!" coloring book and teach the same things to the managers managing the interns. They are completely incompetent, immature, and don't care about the company at all. I would say they only do it for the money but thats a joke too considering everyone who works there knows they will get their money or bonus taken away right as they are about to get it. This company used to be a really great thing and the CEO has slowly burnt it to the ground. They are so lucky they got bought out, its the only way they will stay around for a little while longer. I have never met someone more selfish than this CEO. He thinks he has a loyal following of people - but its just like the show on TV the "following" - they are manipulated to believe in him and when they figure it out they will all leave too just like everyone else.

Advice to Management

There is no point in giving these people advice. They literally laugh it off and write to glassdoor saying "this is a disgruntled employee, please remove this negative post" - how do I know? I had to write the email once to do it.

5. Awesome experience, very fun atmosphere, had a lot of freedom!

Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at The Campus Special part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to talk to people all of the time, was in charge of making everyone's schedules, got to work with friends. It was a very laid back and easy going position. Had an awesome boss, he was easy to get a hold of when necessary.

Cons

Worked during the winter season so it was freezing!! It was always very very cold. Did not receive much feedback during the process.

Advice to Management

When it is too cold, send an email to the team to take the day off. Give feedback during the process. Also, applied for another job and never heard anything back from anyone although I was informed I did an excellent job with my work.

Regional sales manager

I have been working at The Campus Special

Pros

Red bull machine in office, insurance costs are low. Might help a couple young college kids if you're lucky.

Cons

They hire on talking about caring for their employees when they only care about the dollars in revenue they get to. The CEO is arrogant obsessed with money he openly tells staff he doesn't have to work. Underpaid and overworked and under appreciated are the best words to describe this sad culture.

Advice to Management

Learn what positive pressure is and how to support people. Employees respect those that return respect and this is clearly a slavedriving enterprise.

7. Work hard for me, Ill work hard for you

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It gets you off your butt and helps you to realize what you're really up against when it comes to working in the real world!! It is honestly the hardest and most challenging thing I have had to do. I've worked a job since I was 15 and this pushed me past my breaking point... but I never broke.

Cons

You don't get paid enough to work as hard as you work!

Just Don't Do it

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: Chau is amazing and will even text you on your first day, whenever you make a sale, and is extremely accessible. Inspirational man who is truly motivating and admirable. - Helps with confidence and approaching random strangers - Management IS always there for you - If you are in a great college town, where students are always driving to go out to eat, live mainly off campus, this could work for you. if not ......good luck - Great motivational prizes, bonuses, career partners. - I loved my team, we became friends in Chicago and still see each other all the time

Cons

1. First I'll start by saying the job description said 35-40 hours a week - fine! perfect! totally doable. However, you have conference calls after the work day ends and then spend hours logging your entire day into a database. Additionally you are encouraged to hit 5 places after 5PM, and be on your merry way at 8:45 Friday mornings. So tiring and emotionally draining and way more than 40 hours a week. 2. The pay is crap. Especially with payment plans I had fellow interns making 16 dollars a month from some sales. And you're constantly chasing owners around and filling up your tank at LEAST once a week. 3. Additionally, managers will tell you to lie with offers and deadlines being "today only" and that spots are first come first serve. Most business owners have done it in the past and do not really care at all to buy until the end of July when they see what competitors have bought. I also couldn't bring myself to lie about the promises of returns these owners would see and was sometimes disgusted with myself when I would walk out of businesses for the little bit that I did lie/over exaggerate 4. I was told to go back to a place that had UNDER 5 COUPON REDEMPTIONS. Would anyone in their right mind feel comfortable going back somewhere and try to sell thousands of dollars in advertising to a company that CS failed them before? And managers always have a "perfect way" to go back; but really it is just embarrassing and a waste of interns time. 5. Being in a renewal market sounds promising - until you realize that the prior interns have screwed you over by lying to business owners, selling to business owners that won't thrive from the product, or even just that business owners don't see any return. 6. I honestly felt like managers were brainwashing me at some points in that their company was perfect and that I would not thrive in the future without this internship, and that my peers were just getting by waitressing and lounging by the pool; and it was me that would surpass them later in life due to this "experience" (when in reality I go to a very competitive school and all my friends have full time internships with companies such as the Big 4 companies, as well as many other impressive companies, and HAVE FUN with what they are doing!) 7. Career Partners is dangled in front of your face like a carrot to a donkey. When I interviewed for this, I was told that once the internship was over that my resume would automatically be sent out to over 100 companies. However, on the LAST day of training we found out that there is a sales limit to hitting Career Partners. I also found out that they raised the quota by $5000 from last year and was extremely annoyed since the old quota still seemed high to me. Additionally, they include pictures of all of their career partners ever, even if some major companies aren't with them this current year. 8. Constantly bashing the competitors, which they claim is a dying product however such competitors pays their interns $200/ week. Interesting. 9. Managers call every 5 mins and turn every situation into something positive about campus special. Everything seems so scripted and phony and I truly wish I could have a real, down to earth convo with my manager because they are all friendly people....but it just seemed so fake. Only take this position if you have an indestructible backbone and your parents to help support you through the summer.

Advice to Management

More on-site training in college towns Have a draw system of $200 a week like Around Campus does.

Biggest waste of effort/time/mental stability

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ABSOLUTLEY nothing... I've read through these reviews and everyone says the CEO is okay and helpful but that is misleading. He is just as misleading and phony as his "managers".

Cons

Literally everything... You can't begin anywhere. The whole company is a huge joke. It's kinda funny. This company has a 4/5 rating.... I'm guessing there "managers" get on here once a week and flood it with made up bs reviews to maintain that 4/5 rating smh haha... Those reviews are so fake and generic it's not even funny. There is no sincerity at all

Advice to Management

Stop ruining the lives of college students and tell them the truth about what to expect. My god you won't even give a base pay to these kids that are willing to work hard for you so at least be honest to them. THEY AT LEAST DESERVE THAT!

The Campus Special can be a great experience but can also be a nightmare.

Current Employee - Account Executive Intern in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive Intern in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The all expenses conference- It really makes you feel like a young professional instead of a college student. It is a great place to network with career partners (this year they added a career fair) and other students across the country. Overall a really cool experience. 2. Some aspects of the company culture are really cool. Your managers are very reachable and seem like they are always trying to motivate you. Chau, the CEO, gets on your levels and tries to be a CEO that isn't behind the scenes but it more interactive with all parts of the company. 3. You'll make money- IF you work hard AND are in a good market that isn't divided too many times.

Cons

I had a really bad experience with Campus Special. I did not seek out this internship because as a sophomore, I didn't think I needed an internship yet. My manager personally emailed me and recommended I apply. So I did, and within a week, I had three interviews and was hired on the spot. I turned down three other jobs I had lined up for the summer for this. I am used to working hard (2-5 jobs) every summer to pay my car or my debts since I turned 16. I thought if I worked hard I would make at least the lower end of the "average pay"($2,500) which would make up for not working my other jobs. Keep in mind that if the minimum wage is 8.25 and you are working 40 hours a week, you would walk away with $3,960 at the end of the summer (this is a 12 week program) When I was hired, I made the assumption I was the only intern hired in my college town of 26,000. This was my mistake. Keep in mind, my university has a declining enrollment and the region it is in is known to be poor and economically struggling. Maybe ONE more intern would have been okay, but no, they hired FOUR. I met another group at the conference with my same manager. Their "intern team" has three people. Their territory was Tampa, Florida, which has a population exceeding 360,000 people. I'm not making excuses, I am telling the facts here. Technically I am still employed at this internship but not for much longer because financially I can't do it. I am now in a very stressful financial situation, looking for another job, and locked into my summer lease. Some people who go to college in large towns, large cities, or rich suburbs might see a pretty dollar and much success out of this internship. For others, Campus Special can be dishonest to you and screw you over by over-saturating your market. Emotionally, I can take being said "no" to by business owners but my self esteem can't take working my butt off an entire summer and then getting nothing but disappointment out of it. When I can't make my situation better and am running out of businesses to go to by week three(they require you to make 30 in person business calls a day), I have a problem. Other issues I have: 1. The attitude with this company might appeal to some but to others it is over exaggerated and just juvenile. I was on the fence about it but honestly I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of obnoxious sports fans . The higher-ups in this company try to show the interns how hip they are to a ridiculous degree. They literally sent out a video of themselves shot gunning red bulls. My manager said he doesn't even drink red bull and might be wired on this particular day...meaning he was told/forced to do it and wasn't doing it out of free will. 2. They act like every other college student who isn't doing this internship is partying or at the pool. WRONG. I sacrificed for this internship and have worked my butt off 60+ hours a week during every summer I was old enough to work. People can't just go to college anymore and not work. That's a mislead stereotype they promote and act like you are so much better for doing this internship. 3. Before they sell you the products, the (over)sell the internship. As a college student ready to put good experience on a resume, they take advantage of you. It IS too good to be true. Considering I was ASKED to apply, it can't be that good of an internship. 4. They WILL ask you to lie when selling their product. They act like it is a white lie but a lie is a lie. They want you to fake deadlines and act like you were the biggest fan of this product since first day of freshman year even if you were not at all. 5. In some markets, their products/mediums just don't work. They never even train you on that. They give you testimonials for a few college but not your market. What works great in Kansas might not work great somewhere else, for example. 6. Even when a renewal or non-renewal client gives perfectly good reasons why they can't buy (I just can't afford it because I just had a baby and have to pay more mangers, I can't even pay my employees, we ran the same coupon in the newspaper and got more of those returned to our business) they INSIST you go back five times. At some point you will feel like you are harassing people into buying instead of doing your job. 7. It is ALL commission based so they don't compensate you for gas or your efforts even if you are trying hard without getting sales. I LOST money while doing this internship because I was driving to businesses. I tried to walk most of the time but when I started feeling drained because it is 90 degrees out or I'm getting harassed, then I tend to want to drive more. 8. They expect you to feel comfortable talking, venting, and relying on your manager who you've only talked to on the phone a handful of times before the internship and met in person at the three day conference. You really can't develop a working relationship that way. Maybe that model works for some but not for most. 9. They will send you tips but you really don't get much hands on training. The hands on training IS the internship and the managers are in a different time zone in Atlanta. While it's fine and dandy to be available via phone, this internship lacks the in person aspect. 10. They will basically promote the idea to work all the time,work past the designated hours, and sacrifice all other aspects of your life. This work hard mentality has pros and cons but I rather see a company promote life BALANCE and efficiency. They say "work hard, play later," a saying that is promoted in grades schools, but when do they play? My manager told me he hasn't spent time with his wife because he is working late every night and works on weekends. No one regrets working hard but people DO regret not spending enough time with loved ones on their death beds.

Advice to Management

PLEASE be honest and upfront about everything when you interview intern candidates especially in regards to the fraction of territory they end up getting instead of the whole college town.

Waste of my time.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Campus Special

Pros

You can do what you want during the day, because they aren't here!!

Cons

1. They con you into thinking you are super special and that a lot of students applied for this internship, but YOU were selected out of all of these students to represent Campus Special. How can this be true when I literally had 2 interviews and then was offered the job on the spot? 2. Second of all, they try to sell you on the fact that you get a "free trip to Chicago." This is pretty cool because Chicago is cool. However, they fail to mention the fact that the hotel is 45 minutes OUTSIDE of Chicago. On the plus side, it is right next to a casino. 3. If you enjoy being harassed at all hours of the day, then this job is for you. Your manager will call you, text you, and email you more times than you can blink. This is THE MOST ANNOYING PART OF THE INTERNSHIP. Hands down. Your manager will even text you before 9 am and after 5 pm almost every day. Leave me alone. 4. The motivational quotes. Okay... I am not in the 5th grade. I do not need to hear 27 motivational quotes per day. This does not help me succeed, it just makes me dislike the managers and Campus Special even more. 5. "5 after 5 pm." This is soooo annoying. They want you to go to 5 businesses after 5:00 pm. So basically, they tell you from the get go that this is a 9-5 internship but REALLY, they want you to work until about 7 or 8 pm just to make them money. This is ridiculous. My life has never nor will never revolve around Campus Special and I refuse to give the 8 or so hours before I go to sleep to Campus special as well. 6. So far this summer I have made about $300. If you can do simple math, you will realize that $300 does not cover the most basic human needs for 8 weeks. 7. NO ONE WANTS TO DO IT. NO ONE LIKES IT. How can you sell a product that you yourself does not believe in? How could you believe in something when no one wants to do it? Ridiculous. Basically.. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! This was one of the worst decisions I've ever made. My list of cons could go on and on but I have to be up in 7 hours for another day of torture.

RSS Feed </> Embed