The Campus Special

Updated November 26, 2014
3.4

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Career Partners is really great for getting your foot in the door with interviews (in 46 reviews)

• And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours- i have no problem working hard and putting in the extra effort (in 29 reviews)

• Alot of the business owners at my college already had connection with the school (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Working Hard for Campus Special

Current Employee - Account Executive in Warrensburg, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Warrensburg, MO

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The amount of connections this company has with real world career partners is outstanding! If you work hard for Campus Special, they will work hard for you. This experience provides a well rounded professional experience. Every aspect of your professionalism will be sharpened and enhanced once you finish this internship/.

Cons

Stressful and difficult. This will push you outside of most comfort zones.

You have to be nearly obsessive about this internship to succeed, but the payoff is worth it all.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at corporate (your managers and the CEO), are awesome! They are always full of energy, motivational, and fully committed to helping you succeed. Weekly competitions give you the chance to win prizes (like Beats by Dre, flat screen tvs, and flight vouchers!) If you do well overall, this company can connect you with awesome companies to work for after college, like ESPN, Amazon.com, The Hershey Company, ADP, etc. You technically get weekends and nights off, but if you want to succeed, you will end up working several times when others are not working.

Cons

To be truly successful, you have to give this internship most of your time because sales is a 24/7/365 job, so your social life will suffer, but I promise, if you are dedicated, this could be the best decision you've ever made. Also, you only make commission, which is 10%, so if you don't do well, you won't make enough to survive.

The inside sales team should not be able to take clients without first allowing the interns to attempt to make the sale. The proofing departments at corporate were unorganized and utterly embarrassing to have to work with. I think I went through 2-3 proofers within two months.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There aren't any. Anything that used to be a pro about this company is long gone. I used to work at the corporate office and I can confirm that they make their employees write fake positive reviews.....so don't believe any positive reviews on here.

Cons

Not really sure where to start. 100% turnover not once, but twice (the mass exodus is coming) in two years speaks volumes about how this company is ran. The CEO is a liar and only cares about himself and his cars. Its so funny to see him go on these speeches where he literally pauses and pretends he is getting choked up over something so it shows that it matters to him....the entire company sees right through it, knows he is a liar, and laughs behind his back. The directors who run this company learned how to manage through a "look mom, I learned to manage!" coloring book and teach the same things to the managers managing the interns. They are completely incompetent, immature, and don't care about the company at all. I would say they only do it for the money but thats a joke too considering everyone who works there knows they will get their money or bonus taken away right as they are about to get it. This company used to be a really great thing and the CEO has slowly burnt it to the ground. They are so lucky they got bought out, its the only way they will stay around for a little while longer. I have never met someone more selfish than this CEO. He thinks he has a loyal following of people - but its just like the show on TV the "following" - they are manipulated to believe in him and when they figure it out they will all leave too just like everyone else.

There is no point in giving these people advice. They literally laugh it off and write to glassdoor saying "this is a disgruntled employee, please remove this negative post" - how do I know? I had to write the email once to do it.

An amazing learning experience.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you want real world experience and a sense of what sales will be if you choose a career than this is a great fit. Nice trip to Chicago for training and weekly awards are a plus. Work hard and you can reap alot from this program. The career partners is sweet also. Lets you get a leg up on the competition.

Cons

The challenges of working here are that there are no managers in your market. You must only communicate through phone and email however my manager Nathan was very quick and responsive. One thing i didn't like was that my market was the top performing market in the nation and we did not receive any real recognition for that. Also the pay is mediocre but it is still a paid internship which is nice.

Continue what you are doing guys. You truly are in the business of creating young professionals.

A rough and stressful path of unprofessionalism

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Gaining experience in sales. Building relationships and learning what the real world is all about. Self motivation is tested on an everyday work basis. Sales skills are tested at a young age.

Cons

The entire professional team of Campus Special is fishy, and lacking knowledge regarding pricing, and everyone that worked for Campus Special had different answers to clients and myself. There is something sketchy about pay and I had to bother multiple people plenty times when I received paychecks late or not at all. They act like they are giving you so many benefits when they leave you to struggle all summer long, being paid on ONLY straight commission and paying for your own gas and other expenses that you need to survive for this internship. Their advice is basic and is over exaggerated as way more positive than the internship actually is. I had a terrible experience with a proofer who was in charge of my account management, and he would often tell me things were taken care of when they weren't, leaving me to deal with very angry clients who were promised things they didn't get.

Every Regional Manager should know the answer to every question asked by an account executive or client. I would ask the same question to multiple people and get completely different answers regarding deadlines, pay, and rules which made it VERY frustrating when I am an organized individual.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Account Executive in Clemson, SC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Clemson, SC

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get a trip to Chicago for formal sales training. Training was decent but very long days.

Cons

Absolutely the worst internship that's out there. I worked for them for a few weeks (but it felt like months) Company's website talks about how they are all built for making you succeed, but this is entirely untrue. You are out on your own left calling your manager 10,000 times a day. Managers sometimes don't answer your calls or emails. They also over hire for all of their areas. For the smaller area that I'm from, they hired 5 people for a job that could have been done by 2 (3 at the most)! It made leads very thin spread. Don't let these people lie to you and tell you that it's the best internship that you could possibly get. Finally, it's solely commission based compensation. They don't reimburse you for gas or any other expenses you might have.

Don't lie about what the internship is like during the interviewing/recruitment process. Also, give a person more than 6 hours to decide whether or not they would like to accept a job.

DONT DO IT. You will lose your summer with nothing to come from it

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

The trip to Chicago.

that is it. the only reason I'm writing more is because there is a minimum word count

Cons

1. long hours- i have no problem working hard and putting in the extra effort. Not only does your effort not pay off but you end up working on the weekends as well.
    2. Crazy brainwashing managemetnt- my manager would call every hour on the hour. i actually got a ticket because i picked up one of her phone calls. They also use emotional tactics to make you feel bad or feel like you aren't working hard enough. my manager told me i wasn't going to get a job because i was quitting. they also never paid me for my last two sales. I actually lost a contract and was so mad at them i didn't make an attempt to find it and when they called looking for it i asked if they were going to pay me and they said they would have to speak with blah blah and couldn't put in writing that they would pay me for MY WORK. the manager i spoke with then advised me to never speak about campus special in a negative light because it would reflect poorly on my behavior. CRAZY! I hope they read these.
    3.Compensation- if your parents support you entirely you could complete the internship. If they don't you will end up loosing all your money to gas and parking tickets
    4.the career partners they talk about...........do not care. no one knows what campus special is

i never write reviews on anything i only choose to write one because i felt so strongly about this experience. my initial team was 5 people and 4 of us quit. t

Stop using eager college students for your scheme.

Gas compensation
    Base Salary
    Lower Prices of products

If you work hard for them, they will work for you

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Career Partners is really great for getting your foot in the door with interviews
    - Learn a lot about yourself
    - Real experience that is applicable
    - Always have stories to tell in interviews
    - Potential employers pay attention to this type of internship

Cons

- The effort you put forward doesn't always translate in your performance
    - Very specific type of management- Not good or bad, just specific, If you don't fit in then you have to mold yourself to be successful
    - They don't give you all the information about the position until it is almost to late to back out. Went to the training in Chicago and didn't find out about the position until I was there. You have to pay hundreds of dollars if you decide that this isn't the right internship for you.
    - High turnover in Management
    - Sames expectation for all interns even though there are different markets-- established markets make it easier for interns to hit goals and quotas, new markets are much more difficult but still held to the same standard.

Offer different management styles and acknowledge the difference between a 2 or 3 year market and a 6 or 7 year market as well as the economies in each market to create better goals for markets and interns.

Awesome experience, very fun atmosphere, had a lot of freedom!

Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at The Campus Special part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Got to talk to people all of the time, was in charge of making everyone's schedules, got to work with friends. It was a very laid back and easy going position. Had an awesome boss, he was easy to get a hold of when necessary.

Cons

Worked during the winter season so it was freezing!! It was always very very cold. Did not receive much feedback during the process.

When it is too cold, send an email to the team to take the day off. Give feedback during the process. Also, applied for another job and never heard anything back from anyone although I was informed I did an excellent job with my work.

The worst thing I've literally ever done.

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to go to Chicago for free.

Cons

Everything is a con. Your manager will not leave you alone. You have to lie to potential clients. You have business owners yelling and slamming doors in your faces. This is 100% a pyramid scam, the CEO and managers are making money off of the interns' hard work. Don't do this internship, I wish I had read advice like this before I signed on.

Stop doing everything that you are doing. It's underhanded and unfair to college students and to the businesses they are selling to.

The Campus Special Photos