The Campus Special

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Career Partners is really great for getting your foot in the door with interviews (in 46 reviews)

• And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours- i have no problem working hard and putting in the extra effort (in 29 reviews)

• Alot of the business owners at my college already had connection with the school (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Resume and Interview Booster

Current Employee - Account Executive in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Champaign, IL

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

No boss to look over your shoulder. Set your own work schedule and work hard for your money. My manager was awesome and I expect to continue to have a good relationship with him.

Cons

The first few weeks will be hard.

Keep it up

Unparalleled entry level experience, amazing company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The Campus Special ( soon to be Chegg deals) offered me a full time summer internship heading into my Junior year. Every college student attains an internship to learn more about their field or gain a skill to help them in their career, this summer did both for me in more ways than I could even imagine, and ways I have yet to even grasp. The Career partners benefit is an amazing plus, knowing that post college your resume is at the hands of employers is a very empowering feeling. The internship is recommended to all majors and I truly believe that experience in selling is crucial for developing interpersonal skills, and that is a MUST no matter what career path you find your self on. Young, goal oriented, drive to be the best business students will thrive in this environment. I have yet to graduate so I haven't had career partners contact me yet, but that has had no bearing on taking the next step professionally. The way that I learned to speak and leverage my experiences has helped me grow professionally and personally. Employers LOVE the experience when you explain the internship to them. My current job I attained through working with a business during Campus Special, I have four offers for companies for next summers internships and jobs simply by applying the skills I learned to the interviewing process. Get the picture? Campus Special internship= Jobs, internships & more importantly killer interpersonal skill attainment.

Cons

I never considered this a con, but to truly be successful, you must eat breathe sleep Campus Special. I sacrificed one summer, around three months and it has already paid its weight in gold for continuing my career. A lot of people simply do not have what it takes to stick it out through the summer, this Internship is not for the faint of heart, It is trying and very difficult at times BUT you always have the entire company in your corner. Your manager, his boss, and even the CEO are there for you constantly. They want you to succeed just as bad as you want to, ask questions, ask for help, keep your head up and maintain a positive attitude.

Only thing I could ask is that the training conference include more role playing scenarios. I cant ask for much, this internship has paved the way for future success.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic learning experience with a company that gives you a lot of support and training. Managers were supportive and were always available to talk and guide you through your problems. If you work hard you will get a lot of the job and your managers will stick up for you when you need them. Campus Special has a good network of companies that you can be connected with after finishing the job.

Cons

Long hours and high expectations for what amounted to little pay. It's a tough sales job that not everyone is cut out for. As many sales jobs are, this one can be tough on one's psyche, especially to people who do not have experience in the field.

Not an internship I'd recommend.

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people working in this company. They're very motivational and really do want you to succeed.

Cons

If you think you can do this internship working 9-5, you're wrong. Management expects you to put in 10+ hour days. You don't get paid except for commission, and the rate isn't even enough to cover the gas expenses. Management will have you drive all over town in one day regardless of where you planned to make sales at. It's impossible to have a part-time job to help cover expenses. They also expect you to put everything else in your life behind the internship. I had a family emergency which required me to go home during my internship, but I was told I could not take any days off and that it was time to separate myself from my family and focus on my career.

Be upfront with expectations for this position and company values so interns know if it's a good fit for them or not prior to beginning.

Could be a great opportunity for some people, but not for my situation.

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

Can make a bunch of money, amazing to put on resume.

Cons

My territory was not ideal for Campus Special so it was extraordinarily hard to close deals and make money.

Give a stipend each week as a base pay. Like around $200

Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

The training session in Chicago was fun. They pay for the majority of the trip, which is great. Recently acquired by Cheeg.

Cons

Horrible, I did not enjoy this internship, bad work style with bad pay. Managers are helpful, but can only do so much over a phone.

Difficult but resume booster

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The best part about this was being able to travel to Chicago and meeting other interns from different cities. It also boosted my resume, I got many interviews and eventually another internship because of this summer internship with campus special. Definitely made me grow and have thicker skin.

Cons

If you plan to intern with this company, let me tell you now that it will probably be one of the hardest things you will do in your life. Basically you are sales person that goes business to business to sell advertising. If you are in a new market, your basically stuck with doing cold call sales. If you are in a renewal market, you'll go to businesses that have previously sign up with this company and try to have them sign up again.

I was in a new market, therefore I had to go to businesses that would fit with the type of advertising Campus Special offers. It was extremely difficult. I constantly wanted to quit, but I didn't. If you are looking to make money from internship...I say don't bother unless you are extremely good at persuading the client. You will only make 10% from your sales. So if you are selling a $1000 worth of advertising (which ranges around there) you'll only get $100. However if you perform well within that week and get first place you can get additional bonuses like TVs, Ipads, gift cards and etc.

This internship definitely challenges you. Your manager isn't physically there to breathe down your back to get up during the summer to go sell advertising. So you have to be EXTREMELY motivated to do so. It does take a lot of your time during the summer, your whole summer actually. So you'll have to be committed. However, you'll be working 9a-5pm so you'll have some downtime.

Also if you try quitting, they'll tell you that you'll have to pay back the Chicago trip. So be aware what your getting yourself into...

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This was one of the most miserable jobs I have ever done, but it changed my life forever. If you can survive a summer as a CS account executive, you can survive anything. Employers LOVE CS and you will never be short of things to talk about in an interview.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, the demands and quotas are VERY HIGH and they brain wash you to think that what matters is the career partners program and how that will determine your whole future. This is not true! What you learn will change your life, not the career partners program. I was a top sales person, but I did not even break even with my housing expenses. Don't let them tell u u will make a ton of cash, i was a great account executive, but its only 10% commission of every sale, so basically you are making them a ton of money and nothing for you.

-Less Brain Washy
    -provide future phone numbers so we can use our old managers as references.
    -have a few days off in the summer, or even a week off in the middle. This job simply takes so much time out of you, there needs to be more time to re-charge.
    -Become more paperless, so people can e-mail in contracts
    -go to post office on mondays, not saturday having to go to the post office very saturday is a pain!

The best professional experience I have ever had. Placed me well above my peers at school.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Wilmington, NC

I worked at The Campus Special as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The internship is one of the few ways a college student can find experience sales. Experience that employers love. Nothing sticks out on a resume quite as strongly as revenue numbers and market growth percentages! The conference in Chicago was an experience I will never forget and I felt like it prepared me well for the summer ahead. I very much enjoyed staying in my hometown and working out of my car. It was a very satisfying experience to be able to meet many different local business owners personally. By the end of the internship you will feel like you know the town like the back of your hand! Few things in the professional world are more satisfying than getting a sale. It's such a rush and you will truly feel proud of your accomplishments. Daily contest updates and weekly national ranking will fuel your fire to make more sales and hopefully be ranked on the national level. The internship was a blast for me and I discovered that sales was something that I had a strong passion for. On the other side of the coin, you might discover (even if you are good at it) that sales might not be your career choice. That's perfectly okay! At least you discovered this after a summer internship and not after you graduate college with a degree in Marketing. The greatest thing about Campus Special is working hard to get the kids on your campus great deals. It humbles me whenever someone remarks on how great the coupon book is, or when they say with excitement, "you did this?" If you're thinking about taking this internship, DO IT. You have little to lose and everything to gain!

Cons

The changing of deadlines and bonus structure was confusing and somewhat frustrating.

Excellent support and structure. Have a clear mission statement and remind students that they are creating something that is a direct reflection of their hard-work and accomplishments to the entire student body. Give Account Executives tools and ideas for studying and training before the training conference.
    Encourage study at the conference and have past Account Executives speak to the audience - this is who the students want to hear from before their summer.

Great experience if you're ready to put in the effort. Many Account Executives give up by the end of the summer.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bloomington, IN

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience gaining and working with clients. I ended up in the top 5% of interns nationally and received over a dozen emails/calls to set up interviews with career partners.

Cons

All of the career partners are looking for corporate sales jobs to be filled and that isn't what I want to do my whole life.

The Campus Special Photos