The Campus Special

Updated September 20, 2014
3.4

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Hooked me up with career partners so I am set for when I graduate (in 36 reviews)

• And the training conference in Chicago is a lot of fun (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, challenging situations, but overall- it is definitely worth the stress (in 25 reviews)

• Most jobs are 9-5pm so its something that really gets you ready for when you get a full time job after graduation (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

God-awful Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Chicago Trip, but not even that is worth slaving away each day in the hot California weather and getting told a bunch of no's and come back later's.

Cons

Everything. I hated this internship so much and I'm ashamed of myself for getting fooled by these tricksters. I was tricked into thinking that I had potential and that I was special, but they will hire anyone who is foolish enough to even want to apply. This has certainly taught me to be very careful about all decisions I make in life, because this seriously is the worst I have ever made in my life. It's horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on any soul.

Pay the interns hourly and compensate them for gas money. They're doing all your work, so they are worth more than just 10% of every non-existent sale

DON'T FALL FOR THE FREE TRIP TO CHICAGO! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The free trip to Chicago! That's about it! I got to meet a lot of cool people there (but you're 45 mins outside of the city so you're lucky if you even make it there). Also I'm way more cautious now when it comes to taking a new job.

Cons

I've never written a review about a company before so the fact I'm taking a proactive role to warn other college students not to take ths internship should tell you a lot. it's been over a year since I did my internship and I'm still scarred from the horrible experience I had with Campus Special. This company is deceitful and will take advantage of naive college students who are just looking to forward their professional skills with an internship, but are instead fooled into becoming straight up solicitors.
    For starters, this company hires almost anyone on the spot. They made me believe I was selected from a wide range of candidates that applied and that their internships are very competitive, but three weeks after the application deadline closed they hired two more "Account Executives" to join our team.
    The training conference in Chicago is hell! You are literally in a hotel conference room from 8 am to 6 pm because they are trying to teach you about the products and how to do a sales pitch, but they don't prepare you at all for all the rejection that is to come. NOBODY and I repeat NOBODY wants to buy their product because it just doesn't work. I should've known better when I compared the coupon book I got on my freshman year to the one I got last year, it's drastically smaller.
    Everyone you will work with will quit, from upper management to interns. Everyone just gets fed up with how unfair and unrewarding this internship is. My whole team quit in the first week!!! and I would've quit too if it wasn't because they force you to reimburse them back the money for the Chicago trip which was around a thousand dollars.
    After I realized what a big joke this internship was, I fooled my manager into thinking that I was doing work for OVER THREE WEEKS until I was no longer contractually obliged to pay them back for the Chicago trip. And she had to put up with it because i was the only one willing to keep working!
    In all seriousness, if you really want to gain valuable experience and put all your college learning into real-life work, DON'T DO THIS INTERNSHIP! It's a complete waste of time. A monkey could do this job, but even he wouldn't want to.

Stop being so deceitful and quit telling college kids that this is an internship. It's really door-to-door soliciting!

Legal slavery

Former Employee - Account Executive Summer Intern
    Former Employee - Account Executive Summer Intern

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Chau is amazingly humble and accessible.

Cons

They lie and say it's a 9-5 job but it's NOT. Most days I worked 8-7:30 pm. And I had to send an end of a day report AND type in a paragraph about each of the 30 businesses I entered daily. So basically you're writing an essay every night. There's no travel compensation. No base salary. My manager demanded me to watch tutorial videos late on Sunday night. Managers call and text all the time with "motivational quotes" which are really a nice way of saying " remember to slave away interns!" And in addition, they constantly blackmail interns with references. "You don't want us to give a bad reference when your next employer asks us about you." That's exactly that they all say. Interns only make 10% commission, when we fuel the whole company. We are the main ones selling the product, but we get the lowest cut. It's exploitation to the max. This company is great for cut-throat sales people.

Micromanagement from a manager that is not out in the trenches with the interns is ineffective.

The 4 mandatory conference calls during time periods we could go into businesses is RIDICULOUS and counterproductive. 4 hours wasted every week (each conference call an hour) just to hear a bunch of managers gloat for 15 minutes, motivational quotes for 10 minutes, and regurgitated information for the remaining 35 minutes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Work schedule, support, managers, prizes

Cons

Not getting reimbursed for everything, only make commission

Keep doing what you are doing

DON'T DO SUMMER INTERNSHIP

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You get to work by yourself, if thats what you like. The support team is really positive and friendly, such as your managers and sales team.

Cons

- Pay is awful.
    - Constantly annoying and soliciting business owners throughout the town.
    - Work by yourself the entire week.
    - Campus Special essentially has 750 students to use as slaves to go door-to-door and sell their product, with almost no investment in them what so ever, because you are paid 100% on commission.
    - Campus Special really hypes this job to be a learning and paid internship with so much value, when all you learn is how to be broke, not afford gas money, and annoying every business owner you cross.
    - Make sure you are in a college town were the economy is solely based off the student population. Where I worked the city had close to 80,000 residents and could care less about marketing towards the student population.
    - I felt like a Jehovah Witness the entire summer

Figure out a better way to pay your students. And tell them they are COLD CALLERS before you hire and train them.

Great starting company!

Current Employee - Account Executive Summer Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- The commission rate is high (10%)
    - Great for early business experience
    - There is a strong support system for those with less experience, especially those in sales positions.
    - It's one of the few paid internships

Cons

- The position is remote, so there is little face to face contact with other employees.
    - The expectations can be unreasonable at times.
    - Any unsuccessful business will blame the sales person and can harm their reputation within the community.

Allow students to realize that there are other future options besides sales. Pushing sales on a student that is unsure of her future may push her in the wrong direction.

Don't do it!

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

People skills and learning to sell

Cons

You use all the money you make on sales to fill your gas tank. Sales managers push you to continue harassing business owners who have better things to do than listen to some marketing pitch. It's a pyramid scheme. Yes, the company was on the Inc. 5000 list 4 years in a row, but that only measure money made by a company. All this company is, is a more expensive form of advertising made to look like this company is trying to help these businesses, but it is all about profits for the high up people. I'm disgusted in myself for even doing this internship for the short time that I did.

Quit your job and find something to do other than use college students to pay your bills.

Campus Special Internship

Current Employee - Campus Special Account Executive  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Special Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Campus Special part-time for less than a year

Pros

was okay, i guess, very time consuming.

Cons

not much pay, but whatever, good experience though

pay interns more please, too much time commitment to take over our whole summer. at least compensate us a little more.

Marketing Internship

Current Employee - Proofer  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Proofer in Duluth, GA

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Very nice people to work with. Felt like work was important, so great sense of accomplishment. Work hard play hard style.

Cons

Not much opportunity for bonuses. Not much training besides two small conference meetings. The office was sometimes a little too loud.

Great management. Everyone's respectful.

The Reason I'm Employable After College!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern for less than a year

Pros

--Great training

--So many career opportunities opened after graduation! No employer snubs their nose at this experience--they're all instantly impressed and interested!

--Enthusiastic colleagues

--Real-life experience

--The company really is there for you after you graduate. Whatever you need professionally, they're there for you.

Cons

--Can be hard to face rejection in sales, but your sales manager will get you through it! They're such inspirational people!

--Can have low pay if you don't get a lot of sales.

Great job, guys! Thanks so much for helping college students leverage their careers.

Worked for The Campus Special? Contribute to the Community!