The Campus Special

Updated November 18, 2014
3.4

The Campus Special President & CEO Chau Nguyen
Chau Nguyen

Pros
  • Career Partners is really great for getting your foot in the door with interviews (in 45 reviews)

• The internship itself really gives you a hands-on experience in sales and marketing (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours- i have no problem working hard and putting in the extra effort (in 29 reviews)

• Alot of the business owners at my college already had connection with the school (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Honest review of the company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It really is what you make of it--this can be a great experience where you grow professionally and learn a lot about yourself, challenge yourself in and out every single day, and reach great heights, or it can be an experience that pushes you past your breaking point. Personally, I finished in the top 25 out of 750 but it was a struggle many times and there are pros and cons to the position. As a college job, I don't think there is much better in terms of experience you get.

The Facts
    To get paid, you have to make sales. 10% commission. Having said this, if you are working 40+ hours as week and generating $0-700 in sales a week, then obviously you are not making enough money for what you are putting in. As college students, most of us are not financially stable so although its a great experience, its something we can't afford given all of the gas money and time we put in for no $$. Just like in everything, there is systematic risk. For this job, there are stronger and weaker markets.

Now the Pros
    -Real hands on experience (stack your resume at the end)
    -Bonus opportunities
    -Supportive management really wanting to help you succeed
    -Upward mobility with a great company
    -Competition within company with national rankings
    -Access to career partners (not sure how effective it is since I haven't tried it out.

Cons

-Management is awesome and supportive, but can be annoying at times.
    -Very difficult work, hard to keep yourself motivated at times when you aren't doing well
    -A lot of rejection. No owner tells you yes right away, you have to earn it!
    -If you aren't making sales, you aren't making $$
    -Work/life balance is horrible. I felt like I was in the internship all summer until it ended. Work 9-5, then log sales into sales force, send mailings out on Saturdays, watch videos on Sundays.

Compensate gas $, offer leadership positions on teams

Don’t do it – point blank

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing – literally nothing. I have to type this sentence just to put the minimum amount for the "pro's".

Cons

Cons – I don’t like to call this “cons” but more of a fact list on my experience with this company:

1.) First off, I had applied for Campus Special my junior year in the spring of 2013. I had a couple of phone interviews but never got an offer, and that was the end of that. A year later, in the past spring of my senior year I get a call out of nowhere while I’m walking to class from what ended up turning into my manager, saying he had pulled my resume from the database. That should’ve been warning sign number one, as I had not applied to Campus Special a second time after the past spring. At that point I was taking 18 credit hours just to graduate, had a part time job and also another internship. As you can imagine, the time availability I had to apply for jobs was slim to none so I was desperate for any kind of internship/job for when I graduated. I had always been a little skeptical of Campus Special, and I should’ve listened to my gut. I had a couple of phone interviews and was offered the position. The interviews went okay, nothing great but they made it seem like I was going to be some outstanding asset to the company. I reluctantly accepted it, and had mixed feelings about it. A month later when I went to training I realized I had made a HORRIBLE decision. Thankfully, I had really awesome people on my team from my university and still remain in contact with a couple of them even though I have since moved back home in a different town. However, the majority (not everyone) was extremely immature and I felt like they were trying to brainwash us the entire time. The training could’ve been simplified down to probably 2 days, but instead you are there “training” for 4 days and the information is SO repetitive and the days are painfully long. Not to mention this is in the midst of final exam week(s) starting, so everyone is stressed out as it was. They don’t prepare you for anything, or take into consideration every market is going to be different in regards to rejection, the size of your market, how many people are on your team etc. I felt like the training was very generic and was made to only reach markets where they have had extreme success in the past. Unfortunately, the experience you will probably have with Campus Special isn’t some gold glittery road like they make you believe at training/in general. I mean come on, look at the majority of the reviews on here. They are all people frustrated and upset with Campus Special as a company. The only good reviews are so generic and HAVE to be employees of the company on here just trying to outweigh the bad reviews. When I was in the process of interviewing I did EXTENSIVE research on this company, and came onto this site and read countless reviews. I found maybe 1 or 2 semi-bad reviews but all the other ones were so awesome. Myself and one of my teammates came back and looked at the reviews after we started the internship and out of nowhere all these bad reviews had magically flooded the campus special reviews that were definitely not here a month earlier during the interview process. Someone at Campus Special, must have some viewing control of bad reviews during interview time. Interesting.

2.) Second off, the managers/upper management make you believe they care so much about your well-being and future. Er, WRONG. They only care about you making money for THEM. After already not getting any sort of base pay after working extremely hard for this company, or any sort of compensation on gas they still expect you to go and harrass business owners until no end. Then they expect you to start doing “5 places after 5”. I’m sorry but I believe there is a good balance between work and a personal life. My life was never about Campus Special, nor would it have ever been even if I hadn’t quit. I never did the “5 after 5” because that is completely ridiculous. I’m sorry. Campus Special treats their interns like slaves, and I was not blind to that. I’m willing to work hard for any company that rewards me in some kind of way, and I got no mutual benefits in any kind of way from Campus Special. I didn’t even get paid for 2 of my sales that I had made prior to quitting. That is absurd, considering I still did the work and mailed the information to the corporate office in Atlanta to get those companies into the coupon book.

3.) The amount that Campus Special harrasses YOU is crazy. I got more emails/videos per day than I could even humanely read. I deleted almost all of them because they were just information junking up my inbox that had no relevance to helping me in any kind of way. Your manager will text you at all hours of the day, and send you motivational quotes meant for an elementary schooler. I’m a 21 year old young adult, motivational quotes do not inspire me, they make me hate you even more. Especially when I am getting about 20 per day. I understand that the managers get busy managing different universities, but my manager would call me or text me back in response to a question I had texted him about that MORNING at 8 or 9 at night. Some of these questions I needed answered before I went to talk to certain business owners that day…so thanks for the help. I’m sorry, but do not contact me in any shape or form after 5 or 6 pm. That is my personal time and space to get the couple of hours away from Campus Special that I could. Even then I was still doing work, sending emails, filing information into salesforce, etc. So exhausting. I spoke to my manager more than I got contacted by my own boyfriend, mom, and friends combined together. My manager would call all of us about once per hour to “check in”. I am not 5 years old, do not call me to “check in”. I will call YOU if I have a question or concern.

4.) When I quit, my manager acted like he was so appalled even though I felt it was very obvious it was coming. I tried to rationally explain to him that now I was a college graduate, my parents are not helping me out in any financial way once I was finished with college, and obviously the money I was making from this could not pay the bills I needed it to (barely enough to eat 3 square meals a day – just saying), and there was no way I could support myself doing this internship for any longer. They basically promised in the interview process that every single market is going to do outstanding and you are going to make bank over the summer. It’s so deceitful I can’t even begin to explain. It’s something you will only understand if you went through this experience, and I KNOW for a fact there are so many other people that completely agree with me/understand where I am coming from/experienced it themselves. He proceeded to repeatedly ask me if I could ask my parents if they would help me. I’m not sure what he thought my standards were, but after my parents paid for 4 years’ worth of my college education, I wasn’t about to beg them for money to keep me afloat doing a terrible internship. I tried to nicely explain that and he would not “allow” me to quit in general. He told me to give another day to think about it, which was laughable because I basically knew since I left training I wasn’t going to be able to finish the summer doing this awful internship. This company overall was the most annoying, pesky experience I think I have ever experienced, down to the managers, staff, and overall feel of the company.

5.) I hated being a liar every single day. Some of the advice my manager would give myself and my teammates to tell business owners would be blatant straight up lies, and we could call him out on it. He would try to make excuses, and eventually he would just be like “I know, just go with it”. I’m not sure what morale’s you have, or who would enjoy working for a company that encourages you to lie day in and day out, but to say the least, it was not for me in the slightest bit.

6.) Managers, and this company in general try to make it seem like if you were waitressing, or just spending your summer hanging out than your life was a complete waste of time unless you were doing this internship. They kept saying how Campus Special was going to hook you up with some awesome job right after graduation/when you ended the internship (if you had already graduated). Yet, they fail to tell you that you have to sell a certain amount to even qualify, and the tiers of the companies you can even be eligible to apply for depend on how much you sell over the summer. Yet, another scam. It was extremely unfair in markets that were very small, or teams that had a lot of people on them. I would've made 100x more money waitressing over the summer (like I had been for 2 years before I started this internship).

7.) I have gotten a “big girl job” since quitting Campus Special, and now I know what it feels like to work for a legitimate company that rewards you for your efforts, and genuinely LIKES to see you succeed and help you, and it’s not all about making money for them. My last words on this are simply: JUST DON’T DO IT. Unless you want to be miserable and hate life of course.

Quit talking poorly about other companies to your interns, and in general. It doesn’t make anyone look bad accept you. What Sally says of Sue says more of Sally than it does of Sue. That applies perfectly to Campus Special. Also, PLEASE for the love of everyone slaving away to make money for you, figure out some sort of way to compensate for gas, even if it’s a small amount. I spent a ridiculous amount on gas, without even making money (or much of it), so I was losing money rather than making money, or even breaking even.
    I would absolutely not recomment this company to anyone; is the biggest scam. I’d be surprised if it’s still around/successful in a couple of years. The products are extremely overpriced, and do not work. Out of the 5 people on my team from my market, 4 quit. I think that says enough in itself.

Worst job ever

Former Employee - Account Executive in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The trip to Chicago was really fun and I got to get drunk with people from all over the country.

Cons

Almost every business owner that has ever used campus special has hated it and has lost money investing in their products. The business owners will tell u they would never do it again and won't even give you a chance to talk with them. Ur manager will get mad at u if the you can't make a sale with the renewals. They will make you go back numerous times and make you talk to the owners until they hate you and will sometimes even yell at you and tell you to leave. Lastly, campus special never paid me for the sales I did make before I quit. I had to quit because they didn't pay me; it's hard to pay bills without an income.

Chau is the CEO and is making millions off of the students while they go broke. Chau also told me personally that no one will ever hire me. I would never recommend anyone to ever work for Campus Special.

Regional sales manager

I have been working at The Campus Special

Pros

Red bull machine in office, insurance costs are low.
    Might help a couple young college kids if you're lucky.

Cons

They hire on talking about caring for their employees when they only care about the dollars in revenue they get to. The CEO is arrogant obsessed with money he openly tells staff he doesn't have to work. Underpaid and overworked and under appreciated are the best words to describe this sad culture.

Learn what positive pressure is and how to support people. Employees respect those that return respect and this is clearly a slavedriving enterprise.

Hard work, but it pays off.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Indiana, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Indiana, PA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

After doing the Campus Special internship, I was able to get a job making good money right out of college. Teaches you about sales, business, and life in general. Would recommend to anyone, not just business majors.

Cons

It is hard work and the summer can get hot.

It would be amazing to get iPads or some sort of digital selling device. I know this can be expensive, but would be a very good selling tool. Getting SalesForce.com is HUGE for the new interns. I did not have that, but having that would have been very beneficial for organization.

Only do it if you don't expect to make a lot!

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

1. You're team members are completely AWESOME and you will probably make a lot of good friends in Chicago if you're sociable. I'm still friends with a few of my fellow interns
    2. You become incredibly familiar with your town/ city.

Cons

1. If you're not in a "college town" don't expect to make a lot of money, if any. Be prepared to have financial support from your parents.
    2. Because of my optimism of making more money, I'm literally struggling to pay all of my bills. It was such a horrible mistake!
    3. Long hours! It's not the typical 40 hr/wk. It'll be more like 60+

The list goes on, but pretty much everything that is repeated in prior negative reviews is true!

Just Don't Do it

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: Chau is amazing and will even text you on your first day, whenever you make a sale, and is extremely accessible. Inspirational man who is truly motivating and admirable.
    - Helps with confidence and approaching random strangers
    - Management IS always there for you
    - If you are in a great college town, where students are always driving to go out to eat, live mainly off campus, this could work for you. if not ......good luck
    - Great motivational prizes, bonuses, career partners.
    - I loved my team, we became friends in Chicago and still see each other all the time

Cons

1. First I'll start by saying the job description said 35-40 hours a week - fine! perfect! totally doable. However, you have conference calls after the work day ends and then spend hours logging your entire day into a database. Additionally you are encouraged to hit 5 places after 5PM, and be on your merry way at 8:45 Friday mornings. So tiring and emotionally draining and way more than 40 hours a week.
    2. The pay is crap. Especially with payment plans I had fellow interns making 16 dollars a month from some sales. And you're constantly chasing owners around and filling up your tank at LEAST once a week.
    3. Additionally, managers will tell you to lie with offers and deadlines being "today only" and that spots are first come first serve. Most business owners have done it in the past and do not really care at all to buy until the end of July when they see what competitors have bought. I also couldn't bring myself to lie about the promises of returns these owners would see and was sometimes disgusted with myself when I would walk out of businesses for the little bit that I did lie/over exaggerate
    4. I was told to go back to a place that had UNDER 5 COUPON REDEMPTIONS. Would anyone in their right mind feel comfortable going back somewhere and try to sell thousands of dollars in advertising to a company that CS failed them before? And managers always have a "perfect way" to go back; but really it is just embarrassing and a waste of interns time.
    5. Being in a renewal market sounds promising - until you realize that the prior interns have screwed you over by lying to business owners, selling to business owners that won't thrive from the product, or even just that business owners don't see any return.
    6. I honestly felt like managers were brainwashing me at some points in that their company was perfect and that I would not thrive in the future without this internship, and that my peers were just getting by waitressing and lounging by the pool; and it was me that would surpass them later in life due to this "experience" (when in reality I go to a very competitive school and all my friends have full time internships with companies such as the Big 4 companies, as well as many other impressive companies, and HAVE FUN with what they are doing!)
    7. Career Partners is dangled in front of your face like a carrot to a donkey. When I interviewed for this, I was told that once the internship was over that my resume would automatically be sent out to over 100 companies. However, on the LAST day of training we found out that there is a sales limit to hitting Career Partners. I also found out that they raised the quota by $5000 from last year and was extremely annoyed since the old quota still seemed high to me. Additionally, they include pictures of all of their career partners ever, even if some major companies aren't with them this current year.
    8. Constantly bashing the competitors, which they claim is a dying product however such competitors pays their interns $200/ week. Interesting.
    9. Managers call every 5 mins and turn every situation into something positive about campus special. Everything seems so scripted and phony and I truly wish I could have a real, down to earth convo with my manager because they are all friendly people....but it just seemed so fake.

Only take this position if you have an indestructible backbone and your parents to help support you through the summer.

More on-site training in college towns
    Have a draw system of $200 a week like Around Campus does.

Work hard for me, Ill work hard for you

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It gets you off your butt and helps you to realize what you're really up against when it comes to working in the real world!! It is honestly the hardest and most challenging thing I have had to do. I've worked a job since I was 15 and this pushed me past my breaking point... but I never broke.

Cons

You don't get paid enough to work as hard as you work!

Great experience for students

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This internship provides great real-life experience in sales. It helped me get a Sales Assistant position post-graduation, and I had a job before a lot of my friends did. My manager was very helpful and taught me a lot about what's expected in the real world of sales. I grew as a person and my confidence increased a lot during this summer. The CEO Chau really makes this internship awesome as well, he get's to know the interns and takes an active role in their lives! Great job Chau!

Cons

The hardest part for me was the fact that it's completely commission based. With the weekly bonuses they offer you really have to make a lot of sales in one week to actually make a good amount of money. At the end of the summer I calculated how much I made and I did not even make minimum wage for all the hours I put into this job.

I think they take the fact some interns are not making minimum wage into consideration and develop a better pay system.

Biggest waste of effort/time/mental stability

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ABSOLUTLEY nothing... I've read through these reviews and everyone says the CEO is okay and helpful but that is misleading. He is just as misleading and phony as his "managers".

Cons

Literally everything... You can't begin anywhere. The whole company is a huge joke. It's kinda funny. This company has a 4/5 rating.... I'm guessing there "managers" get on here once a week and flood it with made up bs reviews to maintain that 4/5 rating smh haha... Those reviews are so fake and generic it's not even funny. There is no sincerity at all

Stop ruining the lives of college students and tell them the truth about what to expect. My god you won't even give a base pay to these kids that are willing to work hard for you so at least be honest to them. THEY AT LEAST DESERVE THAT!

The Campus Special Photos