The Campus Special Reviews

Challenging and Stressful.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Managers work hard to support you.

Cons

Training was not that great.

Advice to Management

More rigorous training.

Best internship

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mobile, AL

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-B2B experience
    -Expert training
    -Reliable managers
    -Support
    -Networking

Cons

-Commission based pay
    -Bad weeks result in $0 in pay, but still overwhelming gas expenses

Advice to Management

-Instruct account executive interns to ensure they have money set to the side specifically for gas and bills so that when a bad week or two rolls around, their bills will still get paid.

3. The culture of the company is fun and management just wants to see you succeed.

Former Intern - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The training conference in Chicago. The managers are approachable and really want to help.

Cons

Compensation is solely commission based.

Has potential but wasn't for me.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Could potentially make good money.
    Get to go to a training conference and meet many new people.

Cons

Managers are not in your area making it sometimes difficult to get ahold of them, which can be a major issue if its a time sensitive situation.
    No base pay whatsoever, so not a good job for someone who can't afford to go a couple weeks without pay.

6. Great company to work for.

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

The training process is excellent.

Cons

Commission is hard to come by depending on your location.

Pyramid

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

The conference was a good experience

Cons

Lack of support
    Too many reps per manager

Advice to Management

hire better managers

I was an intern at Campus Special for Fall of 2014

Former Intern - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company has a solid product that has potential to be very successful. Not too long ago, they acquired by Chegg, meaning they had a large expansion with access to more resources and a larger brand.
    -The management is supportive, and all of the college interns have opportunity to speak with almost anyone at the company. The management is all very flexible, understanding, and supportive of their interns. I spoke to the CEO and other high-profile employees on a regular basis. They were all very down to earth and willing to communicate withe everyone. Working here was a valuable experience, because the employees made interns feel wanted and needed.
    -This internship got me a job right out of college.
    -It's all commission-based, so if you're a high performer, you'll get high pay.

Cons

-The product is very reliant upon a network effect. Essentially, the product sells itself if Campus Special (now Chegg Deals) has an established market presence. The region I worked in only had Campus Special for one year. This made our product fairly weak, and nobody wanted to purchase ad space in a coupon book which is used sparingly. However, some regions have had an established Campus Special presence for years, so the product practically sold itself. Your success is highly dependent on your skills, but sometimes luck plays a large factor. If you have a newer market, you'll struggle.
    -Sometimes you'll take a step back from work and say, "What am I doing today?" It's easy to get lost in your work when you have so much freedom. If you're not micromanaged, it's easy to slack off, and you won't always be held accountable (This is NOT a good thing. Don't take this as an excuse to slack off, because it will hurt your numbers). This job is only for people who can manage their time wisely and work off of self-motivation. I was in a team of four people, and the other three quit. This job will weed out the weak.
    -The job provides connections to career partners for future employment, but not all of them are great. Some of them are scummy salesmen, so make sure you can tell good from bad. Some of the career partners are solid though.
    -It's all commission-based, so if you're a poor performer, you'll get low pay.

Advice to Management

Despite some of the cons, this job left me with a net positive experience, almost primarily due to excellent management. My regional sales manager was incredibly helpful and was incredibly flexible to my needs. She backed off when I needed space to grow on my own, and she micromanaged me when I was clueless and needed some hand-holding. Honestly, I think I had it too good. My advice would be for RSMs to be stricter on their account executives. Hammer down on the mistakes and really illustrate that there are consequences for performing well. Too many interns were slackers.

Amazing Internship

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the kind of experience that helps you realize your true potential. It pushes you to your limits and will test you emotionally. This tests whether you really love sales but it is exactly what is needed in an internship.

Cons

-Relocation (Not so bad, I was relocated to Arizona)
    -I would have wanted to be in the loop for more things.

Advice to Management

Keep reps up to date. Other than that, The Sales Managers are amazingly helpful!

"Account Executive"

Former Intern - Account Executive in Gainesville, FL
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the hardest, yet rewarding experience I've ever had. You mainly work with your Regional Manager and are assigned territories. Your regional manager is always a phone call away to support you and guide you especially when you are dealing with a difficult client or just plain old having a bad day.

Cons

You work on your own and some of the clients can be very difficult. Sometimes you would have to work beyond your usual work hours.

Advice to Management

N/A

Hard, but exclusive benefits

Current Intern - Account Executive in Norman, OK
    Current Intern - Account Executive in Norman, OK

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

- IF you work your butt off, you can make a decent chunk of change
    - You learn to talk to anyone, you're expected to, at minimum talk to 30 people a day. I did significantly more than the minimum, but even the minimum gives you huge exposure to different situations, and to personal communication.
    - Training Conference
    - Hands on experience
    - You exit the internship incredibly confident
    - Your manager is a coach and mentor for more than just the internship, you call them a million times a day, they become vested in your success after the internship.

Cons

- Long hours, you're giving up your summer
    - You have to motivate you. Your Manager is not there.
    - 10% commission (not including bonuses) is your only form of income. If you slack off it only hurts you.

The Campus Special Photos