The Campus Special

Employer Engaged

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic learning experience with a company that gives you a lot of support and training. Managers were supportive and were always available to talk and guide you through your problems. If you work hard you will get a lot of the job and your managers will stick up for you when you need them. Campus Special has a good network of companies that you can be connected with after finishing the job.

Cons

Long hours and high expectations for what amounted to little pay. It's a tough sales job that not everyone is cut out for. As many sales jobs are, this one can be tough on one's psyche, especially to people who do not have experience in the field.

Not an internship I'd recommend.

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people working in this company. They're very motivational and really do want you to succeed.

Cons

If you think you can do this internship working 9-5, you're wrong. Management expects you to put in 10+ hour days. You don't get paid except for commission, and the rate isn't even enough to cover the gas expenses. Management will have you drive all over town in one day regardless of where you planned to make sales at. It's impossible to have a part-time job to help cover expenses. They also expect you to put everything else in your life behind the internship. I had a family emergency which required me to go home during my internship, but I was told I could not take any days off and that it was time to separate myself from my family and focus on my career.

Be upfront with expectations for this position and company values so interns know if it's a good fit for them or not prior to beginning.

Could be a great opportunity for some people, but not for my situation.

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

Can make a bunch of money, amazing to put on resume.

Cons

My territory was not ideal for Campus Special so it was extraordinarily hard to close deals and make money.

Give a stipend each week as a base pay. Like around $200

I worked at The Campus Special

Pros

The training session in Chicago was fun. They pay for the majority of the trip, which is great. Recently acquired by Cheeg.

Cons

Horrible, I did not enjoy this internship, bad work style with bad pay. Managers are helpful, but can only do so much over a phone.

Former Intern - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This was one of the most miserable jobs I have ever done, but it changed my life forever. If you can survive a summer as a CS account executive, you can survive anything. Employers LOVE CS and you will never be short of things to talk about in an interview.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, the demands and quotas are VERY HIGH and they brain wash you to think that what matters is the career partners program and how that will determine your whole future. This is not true! What you learn will change your life, not the career partners program. I was a top sales person, but I did not even break even with my housing expenses. Don't let them tell u u will make a ton of cash, i was a great account executive, but its only 10% commission of every sale, so basically you are making them a ton of money and nothing for you.

-Less Brain Washy
    -provide future phone numbers so we can use our old managers as references.
    -have a few days off in the summer, or even a week off in the middle. This job simply takes so much time out of you, there needs to be more time to re-charge.
    -Become more paperless, so people can e-mail in contracts
    -go to post office on mondays, not saturday having to go to the post office very saturday is a pain!

Difficult but resume booster

Current Intern - Account Executive

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The best part about this was being able to travel to Chicago and meeting other interns from different cities. It also boosted my resume, I got many interviews and eventually another internship because of this summer internship with campus special. Definitely made me grow and have thicker skin.

Cons

If you plan to intern with this company, let me tell you now that it will probably be one of the hardest things you will do in your life. Basically you are sales person that goes business to business to sell advertising. If you are in a new market, your basically stuck with doing cold call sales. If you are in a renewal market, you'll go to businesses that have previously sign up with this company and try to have them sign up again.

I was in a new market, therefore I had to go to businesses that would fit with the type of advertising Campus Special offers. It was extremely difficult. I constantly wanted to quit, but I didn't. If you are looking to make money from internship...I say don't bother unless you are extremely good at persuading the client. You will only make 10% from your sales. So if you are selling a $1000 worth of advertising (which ranges around there) you'll only get $100. However if you perform well within that week and get first place you can get additional bonuses like TVs, Ipads, gift cards and etc.

This internship definitely challenges you. Your manager isn't physically there to breathe down your back to get up during the summer to go sell advertising. So you have to be EXTREMELY motivated to do so. It does take a lot of your time during the summer, your whole summer actually. So you'll have to be committed. However, you'll be working 9a-5pm so you'll have some downtime.

Also if you try quitting, they'll tell you that you'll have to pay back the Chicago trip. So be aware what your getting yourself into...

Great experience if you're ready to put in the effort. Many Account Executives give up by the end of the summer.

Former Intern - Account Executive in Bloomington, IN
    Former Intern - Account Executive in Bloomington, IN

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience gaining and working with clients. I ended up in the top 5% of interns nationally and received over a dozen emails/calls to set up interviews with career partners.

Cons

All of the career partners are looking for corporate sales jobs to be filled and that isn't what I want to do my whole life.

I worked at The Campus Special as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Career Partners
    Chau the CEO is Awesome
    Great On Resume
    Developing people skills
    All expense paid trip to chicago
    The sales training is very helpful in every career

Cons

If your in an old market it sucks
    some of the products like online ordering can be hard products to sell
    Poor Commission Rate, they make a ton of money off their products and 10% is not enough to pay rent and feed yourself for the summer

Give a bigger chunk of commission or compensate us for mileage. Working all summer to break even is no fun even if it does help us get a job after we graduate. Also try and find some career partners that aren't sales jobs. Just an Idea

Hard work but pays off

I have been working at The Campus Special as an intern

Pros

Learn a lot about yourself and how you work with different people, career partners, create your own schedule

Cons

Lots of rejections, can lose motivation, tough customers, spend a lot of time going place to place, not a lot of money

Don't just give generic advice on dealing with business owners. Every owner/situation is different so managers should take the time to listen and help on a case by case analysis.

BEWARE before you work here.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Campus Special full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The staff is great amazing young people with drive and enthusiasm.. until they take it away form you

Cons

MICROMANAGED. They listen to your phone calls and stalk your computer treating you like a child. everything is scripted you cannot even think for yourself. SUMMER HOURS 8:00-UNTIL usually no lunch break your in jail chained to your desk on the phone. If you get up for even a few minutes upper management wants to know where you are. You are promised tons of commission and WILL NEVER see it they find every reason to withhold it. Unobtainable sales goals they will lie and claim can be hit. No opportunity to grow there is literally no opportunity when I was told there was. All lies.

back off you hired everyone there because of their ability and talent let them do their job... not everything needs a script, meeting or talk

The Campus Special Photos