The Canyons Resort

Jeff Zogg

Fantastic Experience"

Former Employee - Cook in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Cook in Park City, UT

I worked at The Canyons Resort as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great resort, great town, lots of snow and lots of fun people. Worked with a great team determined to improve everyone aboard, good training and decent pay

Cons

kinda hard to get to work from park city, not too many employment perks.

Fun Place to Work

I worked at The Canyons Resort

Pros

Free season pass to resort.

Cons

working on holidays, pay wasn't great.

Fun Work Place for those that love the outdoors

Current Employee - Groomer in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Groomer in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free season passes and fun people to work with. For your first few years moving up is easy if you will work hard and show up on time and sober.

Cons

Hard to get in to upper managment, there is a good old boys network that is very tight and some depaartment managers whom dont pull their weight seem to skate by due to friendships in senior managment and lack of knolodge in senior managment.

Rember, to some this is a carreer not just a job for a pass.

watch your back

I worked at The Canyons Resort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

amazing relationships that I fostered over time, some of which I still have, we had fun while I was there

Cons

the truth is not something that upper management understands, backstabbing is the new norm, document all conversations

go away

If nly they really cared enough about their employees.

Former Employee - Beverage Supervisor in Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Beverage Supervisor in Park City, UT

I worked at The Canyons Resort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of really terrific people work for the two companies and do their best to make a difference in the resort setting.

Cons

The management does not really have their eye on keeping people for the long term. The owner spends money on frivolous and expensive ventures but fails to realize that people are the best investment he could make. Mid-level management is stuck in a cannibalistic mindset where they try to stay alive before they are eaten up by someone higher up.

Don't lie to your employees, or set them up for failure. Also, pay people what they are worth for the high stress jobs they perform.

Great to work here as a ski bum but not a good career location

Current Employee - Manager in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ski pass. Fun environment. Beautiful location.

Cons

Low pay. Limited career advancement potential.

Amazing environment, surround by truly awesome people.

Current Employee - Resturaunt Supervisor in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Resturaunt Supervisor in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities
    Lots of perks: Free Skiing, free tickets for friends, buddy pass, triple play passes to neighboring resorts, benefits, vacation.
    All the amazing people

Cons

Working when you want to be skiing

Many different venues where none are excellent but where average seems to be the norm.

Current Employee - Server At the Farm in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Server At the Farm in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

Skiing passes and benefits once full time year round status is given.

Cons

I work in a restaurant, the Farm, where checks average $50 per person and from 5pm to 8pm the restaurant is a low of 80degrees and reaches the upper 80's most days with the sun in the guests eyes about 75% of the time. All the management sees this as a detrimental experience for our guests yet no corrective action has been taken. This is a direct example of how apathetic management are here. Guests sweating as they eat their dinner or decide they won't stay and leave and complain about the sun in their eyes and the high temp is an everyday occurrence, all this happens as a monumental amount of money is spent laying sod yet we can't spend one drop on a tint job on the glass. Somebody needs to take ownership of these issues that effect our guest negatively. It's a very defeating environment to work in and the shame is, it doesn't have to be.

Fix the air-conditioning and get the windows tinted and stop making excuses and/or passing the buck. Our mission is to be the BEST four seasons resort in North America. There are plenty of issues that exhibit themselves where management perhaps were not aware and can "manage" them accordingly but when there are glaring issues as our guests discomfort and nothing is done then we certainly aren't striving to be the best. Come on guys, we're better than this.

Not a great job if you want to ski alot

Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

Free ski pass, discounts on equipment and food, meet lots of people who also like to ski. Get familiar with the mountain.

Cons

Scheduling can be a pain. By the end of the season, they beg you to work almost every day. Teaching kids and beginners can be a pain but just know what you are in for.

Better scheduling system (like online). Make requirements more clear for end of season bonus. Online system would be very helpful. Better pay!

The Canyons Ski Resort, a place to get started

Current Employee - Ski School Instructor. in Park City, UT
    Current Employee - Ski School Instructor. in Park City, UT

I have been working at The Canyons Resort

Pros

The canyons is a great place to get started in ski and snowboard instruction. It provides a good base platform to jump from into more specific forms of instruction. You learn how to teach kids/adults how to ski or snowboard and they have classes where you can progress in your instructing skills. Most ski resorts won't hire you unless you have your Level 1 PSIA or AASI. At the Canyons they are more then willing to not only take you but develop your skills and help you get your level 1. All in all this is a pretty good place to get started in the Ski/Snowboard instruction lifestyle.

Cons

The place is a logistics nightmare. They are WAAAAYYYY behind the times when it comes to using electronic organization. The check in system they have there is a crock. I don't know how they don't loose kids. There are two places for parents to check there kids in. One at the bottom and one at the top. They write the children's names down and other information then they send the kids up the gondola with a ski instructor. At the same time they are doing this at the top of the gondola with parents who brought there kids up. After all the kids are all checked in and into there lessons they bring the list from the bottom up tot the top and then try to condense the two list into one. There where so many mistakes on these sheets and we where lucky nothing happened because of it. If you are not teaching privets (which you have to put up with at least 5 years of craziness to even begin to build your client base or have enough seniority to get on a consistent basis) then you are not guaranteed work for the day. if there are enough kids then you will be able to teach, if not they let you go for the day. Sometimes that is a good thing because of the great skiing to be had at the resort. Other times its hard, because you really need the money. Upper management cant seem to keep control of there managers. Manager tension is almost always high and it is usually caused by one manager in particular. He/she tries to micro manage the ENTIRE ski school, when its their job to handle one section of the school. It got bad some times and tends to run good managers out of the company.

Time to upgrade. Put the money in now and it will make your life way easer. Upgrade check in systems, upgrade building, clean house a bit. There is so much potential at the school, and it could be so great with some work. Grow some balls and control your managers keep them in there own zones.