The Carson Center for Human Services

Updated January 19, 2015
2.5

Susan C. West

In decline

I worked at The Carson Center for Human Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What I liked most was working with the TBI population, working with the team and being able to work independently. When I started out this place was the best except for the pay. Declined rapidly after a number of people left. Agency is going through a lot of changes due to changes in legislation in regards to TBI population. When I left place was becoming chaotic and staff turnover issues were really starting to be a problem. Staff morale also was on the decline when I left.

Cons

Lack of leadership, direction and training. Area of brain injury rehab is rapidly changing and some people, especially in management, find this change hard. I think its an exciting time to be working with the population.

Look for ways to get excited about change. Give more direction and reward talent even if it doesn't involve giving more money. Think out of the box and be involved in change instead of being afraid of it. Take time to commend people for their commitment to the TBI population. Be careful not to discourage by making derogatory comments about what the agency currently pays you but look for ways to build up your team by looking for other ways to motivate yourself. Don't be sour about your "favorite" employees who left and above all don't play favorites. Very bad for morale..

The work is very hard and never ending with too few employees. The pay rate STINKS !!!

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Westfield, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist in Westfield, MA

I have been working at The Carson Center for Human Services

Pros

The drive to work is not long.

Cons

No room for advancement. No growth potential either in raises or in learning new material keep my brain sharp and movitated.

Think of the people who do most all of the grunt work and get NO credit or notice of their hard work.

Poor management; disorganized and lots of drama among staff

I worked at The Carson Center for Human Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working with the clients and offering much needed services to people in their time of crisis.

Cons

The staff and management are highly unprofessional. Unknowable people in positions that they do no belong in. A lot of gossip and back stabbing among staff. Low pay rate, even lower than the average for social services that results in a high turn over of the actual educated people. They come from college get the experience and then leave.

Get your act together. You probably all need some management training on top of revisiting what you learned in school.