The Carter Center

4.3

CEO

Great Experience through Internship Program

I worked at The Carter Center

Pros

Great Internship Program for college students, not treated like typical interns who fetch coffee, but have real responsibilities heavily centered on research and writing on behalf of the Carter Center which President Carter and Mrs. Carter read. Are invited to many panels by the Center. Interns also get the opportunity to interact with the President and Mrs. Carter through a Q & A as well as a trip to Plains, Georgia

Cons

Unpaid internship may be hard to handle for some students

Many different programs who have different expectations for interns as work varies between each program

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Carter Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great experience so far. You work with dedicated individuals that are helpful and passionate about their work- a must have for a non-profit.

Cons

It is an unpaid internship, which I really didn't mind; however, think about it as if you are paying your dues for better career opportunities down the line. I do suggest applying for the internship areas that you are passionate about and want to gain experience in; otherwise, you might be miserable.

And fyi, if you intern at the Kirbo building, expect to be out of the loop as the other interns all work together in the main building. They tend to ignore the interns in the Kirbo building. I really didn't mind, but other Kirbo interns did.

Keep up the good work.

Fulfilling work, cliquey office culture

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern

Pros

As an intern, there's minimal odd jobs you have to perform. You get important tasks immediately, and good support from program staff in doing them. In addition, the organization, especially its health programs, are doing powerful and meaningful work.

Cons

The open office atmosphere actually detracts from productivity. A great deal of the work of the organization is performed by interns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship experience depends greatly on program and current events

Former Employee - Democracy Program Intern
    Former Employee - Democracy Program Intern

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Potential to travel with a team from the Center and get exposure to field work
    - Interns really get to know the country/countries they are working on because of tasks such as daily news updates and memo writing
    - Generally, there are large intern classes (~40 people) of mostly young adults, from all over and with varying interests, so there's a good social environment and camaraderie and interesting discussions
    - The educational programs for interns are interesting, i.e. a weekend trip to Plains, GA and guest speakers as well as a Q&A session with Former President Carter and Mrs. Carter
    - Interns are generally invited to meetings (staff meetings, program meetings, etc.), and the senior staff is pretty accessible
    - Meetings with people from various levels of management are planned for the interns
    - Comfortable environment for work

Cons

In my program, specifically (because different programs really do not have the same problems):
    - There were too many interns for the little work that was available
    - Work was repetitive, basic (i.e. daily news updates and weekly summaries)
    - Directors tended to do their own work rather than include interns; it was suggested that they found it easier than delegating or explaining projects
    - Supervisors are regularly out of the office (on a business trip or working from home), making it hard to catch them for questions or face-to-face discussions; however, they did always reply to emails. This also affected meeting schedules, as they would sometimes miss the scheduled weekly meeting with interns and the interns would be left without assignments
    - Work load is not really predictable as it depends on what is going on in the countries that the Center works with, and most of the time, the countries themselves are unpredictable (i.e. if an election is postponed, an intern could find him/herself out of work, but still expected to be in the office)

With the highly selective application process, you generally get a class of very competent students with a deep desire to contribute to the organization/causes - make better use of that ambition and their presence at TCC.

Summer intern for one of the peace programs

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

For interns - you'll be with a lot of people around your age with similar interests. Everyone is generally very friendly and willing to help a student out. Opportunity to meet/interact with the Carters is exciting, obviously.

Cons

Lots of writing and research, very few chances to gain experience in program development and/or management. I don't see the point of an internship that makes me do the same things I do all year in school anyway.

Also, I had the misfortune of interning for a program (won't reveal which one) that has zero impact on the world and, in my opinion, should get defunded so that Health programs and the actually useful peace programs can get more resources.

Give interns a wider variety of tasks.

Very rewarding internship program

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Very intelligent, hardworking and passionate fellow interns and staff
    - Requires a lot of research, writing, analysis, communication and critical thinking
    - Staff and atmosphere are friendly and engaging
    - Little to no administrative tasks required

Cons

- Supervisors and management will vary among different programs (e.g. Democracy, Development, Conflict Resolution, etc)

Great experience for an intern!

Former Employee - Development Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Development Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You are respected and able to make real contributions to the organization. They throw a great holiday party. The building is surrounded by beautiful landscaping and it is like a little oasis in the middle of the city. This was definitely the best professional working experience I've had thus far. The employees I encountered seemed satisfied with their jobs and were very friendly and helpful. Interns are taken on a weekend trip to Plains, GA. I worked in Development for their Health Programs so it was interesting to learn more about all of their health initiatives.

Cons

I had an extremely positive experience as an intern and cannot think of a negative thing to say. I guess the only downside is that this is an unpaid internship.

Not the greatest, but good experience for a short time

I have been working at The Carter Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience is the main draw to working with the Carter Center for a short time.

Cons

Management: No camaraderie and poor upper management

Take more time to foster growth with the employees

Friendly and stimulating work environment

I worked at The Carter Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment was much more collegial than I expected from a workplace full of academics. Colleagues were friendly and helpful. Management was generally respectful and appreciative of employees (some managers were better than others). Overall, I enjoyed my time as an employee of the Carter Center.

Cons

Salaries were quite low, even for a non-profit. Due to the nature of the work, there was little-to-no line drawn between work and personal life. Was often answering calls and emails on the weekend.

Awesome pace to be an intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved my time there. Very lovely staff- all the other interns were friendly. Really happy with the range of work I was given. The staff created a welcoming atmosphere and they provided lots of activites outside of the intership which was very helpful. Got to meet very lovely like minded people and grow myself.

Cons

Nothing to complain about really. I enjoyed my time there in a new city and learned a lot.

Worked for The Carter Center? Contribute to the Community!