The Carter Center Reviews

4.1
CEO

1. Internship provides valuable insight into development world

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Carter Center aims to give its interns 'real' work and absolutely limits the amount of clerical work done. I got to work on an exciting and challenging project that gave me real transferable skills.

Cons

Your internship also depends on your supervisor, so when applying try to be strategic about what program you get placed in. Some supervisors rely on their interns to do important programming work, while other supervisors are less keen on delegating interesting work.

2. Don't expect much as an STO

I worked at The Carter Center

Pros

You meet people from all over the world. Good experience for networking.

Cons

no real compensation duringassignments.

3. Great Internship Experience

I worked at The Carter Center

Pros

Staff really take the time to plan interns tasks, and you feel like you are apart of the team. It makes for a valuable internship experience. Mentoring is great, and staff are awesome at facilitating relationships with others that you may be interested in learning from.

Cons

I actually can't think of any negative things about interning here.

5. intern

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The center does a lot of good work around the world, you will definitely feel as if you are contributing to something life changing to other.

Cons

As an intern you experience will highly depend on whether or not you are a full time intern, what department you work with and you direct supervisors. I was a part time intern and although I expressed my interest in taking on more substantial work, nothing was done about it.

Advice to Management

increase interaction between supervisors and the interns.

6. Good place to intern

Former Intern - Public Information Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Public Information Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization has great reach and is well respected. The staff seem to care about your work and you have creativity to suggest new ways of doing things.

Cons

It's unpaid. Organization is very rigid. Public information interns work in the PI office, not the Peace Pavilion, which makes it harder to interact with other interns.

Advice to Management

Offer some kind of stipend for interns, even if that means reducing availability.

7. Great internship programs and very helpful supervisors

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

the internship program is really well-structured and the organization planned multiple amazing intern activities from time to time, e.g. photo taking with the former president carter! Besides, you can learn a lot on business/political etiquette etc.

Cons

work pace too slow; learning curve drops after 3-4weeks

8. Wonderful organization to work for!

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the open floor office plan for the employees, great opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Interns could have been paid

9. Fulfilling work with incredibly dedicated global citizens

Former Intern - Education Program in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Education Program in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The network. The people who work at TCC work every day to apply their skills to global scale problems. There was never a dull conversation!

Cons

The internship program is unpaid, so you need to have a plan for how to support yourself financially.

Advice to Management

Continue the various perks given to interns, one of the best parts of my experience was the multiple chances I got to have conversations with Senior Management as well as the Carters regarding the center's work.

10. Great Experience through Internship Program

I worked at The Carter Center

Pros

Great Internship Program for college students, not treated like typical interns who fetch coffee, but have real responsibilities heavily centered on research and writing on behalf of the Carter Center which President Carter and Mrs. Carter read. Are invited to many panels by the Center. Interns also get the opportunity to interact with the President and Mrs. Carter through a Q & A as well as a trip to Plains, Georgia

Cons

Unpaid internship may be hard to handle for some students

Advice to Management

Many different programs who have different expectations for interns as work varies between each program

11. Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Carter Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience so far. You work with dedicated individuals that are helpful and passionate about their work- a must have for a non-profit.

Cons

It is an unpaid internship, which I really didn't mind; however, think about it as if you are paying your dues for better career opportunities down the line. I do suggest applying for the internship areas that you are passionate about and want to gain experience in; otherwise, you might be miserable.

And fyi, if you intern at the Kirbo building, expect to be out of the loop as the other interns all work together in the main building. They tend to ignore the interns in the Kirbo building. I really didn't mind, but other Kirbo interns did.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.