The Chamberlain Group
www.chamberlaingroup.com Elmhurst, IL

The Chamberlain Group Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
The Chamberlain Group – Elmhurst – “Innovation & Design Center”

James Roberts

Don't Be So Quick to Judge

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsGranted, there has been an influx of "Newellies which has caused some internal conflict, however being one that has been here for a few years, I believe we could welcome some change. Prior to the new management, there were five people that essentially controlled everything within the greater sales and marketing organization down to the nth detail leaving the rest of us to basically follow orders - no questions asked - preventing any opportunity to grow and develop as employees. The Newel style, albeit brash and demonstrative, could help some of us learn what we've been missing all these years.

ConsYes, its been a rough road of the majority of veteran associates. The clash of cultures starts at the top and flows all the way downstream. We see a lot of carpet-bombing taking place with senior executives popping in various middle management cubicles telling them what to do and then turning around and telling their co-workers something that could be interpreted as different. And yes, there is still resonates a hand's-on everything culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really don't know at this point. Some of us are far beyond trying to teach new tricks to from having worked in the former fiefdom. Instead of advice, we would like to ask for some patience.

Profitable company. But little intensive to improve

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsLittle chance of layoffs. They do a decent job of recognizing talent in most cases. The pay is very good for the area

ConsPoor quality throughout the company, very few new designs in the companies 50 years. Manager to employee ration is is very top heavy. Problems in the company are very well known but never make it to the upper echelons of the management.

No career advancement for senior roles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

Prosgood salary, healthcare benefits, 401K, and wellness programs.

ConsUnless you are from Newell Rubbermaid or a man - forget being able to get promoted into a senior role. A overwhelming majority of the ELT, VP roles are male and from Newell Rubbermaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to handle women and look beyond the boys Newell network

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What if Rubbermaid decided to make garage door openers...

IT Professional (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsGreat people who care and want to make the best products for our customers. Investments are never an issue here...money is available.

ConsCEO talks a great story, but is airing nothing but boring repeats now. If your resume says Newel/Rubbermaid your guaranteed high pay and 3+ years of your laurels carrying you. If your in enough meetings with the CEO you will learn he respects nobody and has neutered his leadership team. Talented people are leaving by the droves, but it does not really matter because the remaining leaders are blissfully ignorant. If you think this review sounds harsh...its not. If people said how this company really operates, 60 minutes would want to do a story.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Ownership...wake up. I think you should start asking some questions of people. ELT you need to start showing some backbone...your staff would love to see you fight back for what is right at least once.

Not all is as written by disgruntled employees

Elmhurst, IL

ProsThis is a company going through change. Change that is required to take the company to the next level and achieve the goals & objectives that the senior leadership has established. If you are a high drive, leader, change agent, accountable employee - then this is the place for you!

ConsThat you have to read the negative reviews on here that have been posted by disgruntled employees that most likely have been fired or left because they were written up and didn't like it. All is not as it is made out to be on here. Most people are not jumping ship voluntarily. Those that are not performing, have issues knowing how to do their job, getting along with their fellow employees are not being sheltered and are being let go. Nothing different than most well-run companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great leadership, motivation to do your best, drive for results and lead the change that is needed.

Leave before it gets worse!

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsHistorically quality products, formerly a great place to work with strong ethical values.

ConsNew CEO & friends care only for their personal success ( clique), not the long term success if the company. Qualified new hires leave in about one year. Products now made in China without innovative patents, rush to market is the new "trend."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a quality New Product Development Team! Family should consider a CEO with a history at Chamberlain, not the outside.

Completely dysfunctional with a work load that sucks the life out of you.

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsPay is above average and there are some good people. Healthcare benefits are not the best but not the worst. A sad commentary that these are the only Pros. They definitely do not out weigh the environment that is around you every day.

ConsWith all the new people because of high turn over, no one knows the right process to get work done. A typical work day consists of trying to figure out who does what and then trying to get an answer. This happens multiple times for every project so good luck having a feeling of accomplishment. Long days, every day are required since it takes twice as long as necessary to move forward. When you finally do move forward, senior management will decree a change in scope and it is time to start over.
    Also, beware of the high school clicks - a couple of the Directors think they are "the cool ones" and anyone that disagrees with their opinions should be ostracized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the environment being created by the Director level and above and make some changes. There is more to a book than its cover. Stop rewarding abusive behavior and maybe people will stop jumping ship.

Calling all former Newell Rubbermaid employees -- we've got a job for you!!!

Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsManagement turnover has facilitated higher salaries in the past couple of years. Elmhurst is a nice place to work in the West suburbs.

ConsSenior leadership gave up on training current employees on "The Newell Way" in 2013, and decided to populate its senior ranks with former Newell employees. It's too bad, because the Newell model proved to be a failure in the last decade, and Chamberlain is now deploying it badly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the public floggings meetings in NPD, Operations, and S&OP where you call absolutely everyone together for hours on-end to watch their peers get broadsided by senior leadership. Middle managers have defensive and uninspired by the behavior they see in their bosses.

Status Quo

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexcellent benefits
    great 401k contributions, affordable health insurance, work life balance

Conslack of employee development
    lack of career path

Management

Elmhurst, IL

Proswork life will depend on your manager

Consmost managers are awful and engineering folks are old school. awful culture

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a professional consulting firm to help in the "innovative" spirit the company is trying to adhere to.

Worked for The Chamberlain Group? Contribute to the Community!

The Chamberlain Group Videos

The Chamberlain Group – Why Work for Us?

Chamberlain Group is much more than the world’s largest manufacturer of garage door openers, commercial door operators and a leader in gate access solutions, we are a builder of brands and a pioneer in connected home… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Chamberlain Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Chamberlain Group CEO James Roberts. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by The Chamberlain Group employees.