The Chartis Group

Ken Graboys

Great Firm, Smart People, Wonderful Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group (less than an year)

Pros

Great leaders who are very intelligent and passionate about the firm and all staff members. It's evident that every employee is very passionate about the firm's mission statement, which is to materially improve the quality of healthcare In the world. It is also very clear that firm leadership truly cares about and values each employee. People here take their work very seriously but also have fun and there is strong camaraderie among staff members. There are some extremely intelligent people working here with advanced degrees from Ivy League and top-tier schools, yet these people are still friendly and approachable. This is the first firm I've ever worked for where I don't hear staff members speaking negatively behind each others' backs. There's almost an intrinsic family kind of culture here and disrespect of any kind would never be tolerated Pay is very competitive and the benefits package is also solid.

Cons

The travel model for consulting staff seems heavy, but that's what typically embodies the consulting lifestyle. They are trying to reduce it to 3 days of travel per week.

Keep doing what you are doing! Keep the culture the same during the upcoming growth mode.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture of The Chartis Group is incredible - it's like no other consulting firm. Respectful colleagues, interesting work, great clients. Mission driven - to materially improve the delivery of healthcare in the world. Values driven - I see these lived every day. There's just not another consulting firm I've seen like The Chartis Group.

Cons

It's consulting - so if you don't like travel or long hours, it's not for you. But, it's the best environment possible to work as a consultant.

Maintain the culture as the firm grows!

Engaging work, thoughtful colleagues

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to tackle strategic issues with the leading health systems in the country; access to senior leadership both at the client and within Chartis; colleagues at every level of the company who are invested in your professional development; a friendly and fun work environment

Cons

The travel model can be challenging for work/life balance; benefits may not be comparable to other firms in some areas

Best health care consulting firm out there!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing Culture, Fantastic Colleagues, Interesting Work, Good Benefits, Strong Comp

Cons

Work/Life, Long hours, and Travel - typical of any consulting firm

Challenging but very rewarding - truly encompasses the mission of improving health care delivery

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyday we are working hand-in-hand with leading health care organizations to improve health care delivery. The firm is filled with people that in addition to being passionate about health care are also very genuine and down to earth. Chartis has a steep learning curve which allows for meaningful opportunities to grow professionally while significantly expanding your content knowledge.

Cons

The travel associated with working at Chartis can be difficult but the firm works to minimize the travel burden when possible. The firm is in the process of developing more formal training, knowledge management, and HR functions, which is a welcome improvement.

Continue to develop the firm infrastructure that will allow us to work smarter and leverage the firm's collective intellectual property. Also, look for new and innovative ways to allow for a more manageable work-life balance, particularly related to days away from home.

Truly a unique find in the world of healthcare management consulting.

Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Chartis has everything I think a high-end management consulting firm should have: Extremely intelligent colleagues (far and away the most important thing to me), stellar industry reputation (albeit a niche reputation), competitive overall compensation, and a premier client roster. What Chartis has that differentiates it from other management consulting firms that meet that may have those other things, is an cohesive "familial" culture and mission-driven approach to business. This combination results in a bunch of like minded people, committed to having an impact on the healthcare space broadly, being truly invested in the success of our clients' missions. Because of this combination Chartis establishes a symbiotic relationship with clients, as opposed to a parasitic relationship that I believe some consulting firms establish. Also, by funding The Chartis Foundation and donating a portion of our firm profits to our clients' foundations, it shows there is a commitment to more than just making money.

Cons

Chartis still has a small company mindset, which is great in some aspects, like maintaining culture, but it creates challenges the support infrastructure (HR, training, technology, travel support, etc). I think this is getting better, and recently there has been a clear focus and lots of investment in administrative resources across multiple areas of the business, but it's still a work in process. The upside is, you get to be a part of developing the infrastructure as the firm grows. The other con of any consulting job is of course, the travel, and Chartis has it too. Having said that, the firm generally tries to be as "lifestyle friendly" as possible, attempting to make 3-day/week travel (only 2 nights away) as the standard. It doesn't always happen, and it's not always clear why, but that is a stated goal.

Continue to invest in the infrastructure to ease the growing pains as we get bigger, but do everything possible to maintain our unique "small firm" culture.

Great Culture, Interesting Work, and Endless Opportunity

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chartis has a unique culture with a greater degree of focus on the individual than other firms I know of. Also, commitment to development of young talent and a tailored / customized development approach creates an environment for rapid growth and the construction of a sustaining career. Finally, Chartis is at the cutting edge of healthcare consulting and works on innovative and interesting projects. It is very easy to be excited about your work here!

Cons

At times, given a shortage of middle management, younger consultants will have to work directly with the most senior leaders in the firm - this can be great for development, but also can be challenging for a young consultant.

I would be interested in a greater degree of transparency around compensation ranges by title - currently, I'm not really clear on how my compensation package can evolve with my role in the firm.

Thoughtful, professional ,consultants with deep expertise in healthcare delivery

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees share values and passion for improving healthcare delivery; growing company offers opportunities for professional growth; Many of Chartis' clients are leaders in their industry; Opportunities for all levels to be involved in firm development and improvement activities. Lower leverage model offers exposure to company leaders and client senior executives

Cons

Small firm -- to be expected hiccups as infrastructure is being developed; travel lifestyle is not for everyone; Projects tend to be smaller than other management consulting firms.

Tight-knit, very smart people, great place to work

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time

Pros

Very interesting work with incredibly hard-working, smart colleagues. Everyone is genuinely interested in improving the US healthcare system and that is reflected in the projects and the work products every day. Great compensation, company 'schwag' and culture are icing on the cake.

Cons

The travel can be challenging, but you're rewarded by the client relationships and the interesting work. And when not traveling, you work from home.

The review and promotion process and expectations could use more transparency.

Mission Driven

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Chartis Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently joined The Chartis Group after being in the professional services space for a number of years. The mission of Chartis "To materially improve the delivery of healthcare in the world," really attracted me to the firm and the opportunity to impact persuaded me to make the move. Chartis engages with Integrated Healthcare Systems, Children's Hospitals and many of the top Academic Medical Centers. The clients are outstanding and the projects interesting.

The culture and people at Chartis also exceeded my expectations. Chartis is a tight knit group focused on collaboration and continuous learning. My peers have outstanding educational backgrounds and professional experience. You are surround by people you enjoy working with, and can learn from.

Leadership has recently invested in many added resources and a focus on professional development. Compensation is consistent with other top consulting firms, and the work/life balance is really strong.

Cons

Travel isn't for everyone. Most projects involve three days of travel (Mon-Wed) or (Tues-Thurs), but occasionally there might be more travel involved.

Continue to develop non-travel roles to continue to engage staff

The Chartis Group Photos