The Children's Aid Society

Updated August 6, 2014

3.1

The Children's Aid Society President & CEO Richard R. Buery, Jr
Richard R. Buery, Jr

Working in a Public School teaching kids how to play various musical instruments from 6th to 8th Graders.

Current Employee - Assistant Music Teacher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Music Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society part-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm a professional musician for years about 35 years, not only do I teach kids from 6th -8th Grades plus I get to teach myself how to play various instruments while I'm teaching them.

Cons

I haven't come to one yet.

Hired some of us full time, full time position might help you and us at the same time.

Disorganized. CS 211 site

Current Employee - Facilitator  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason why I've worked at my site for 2 years is because of the kids, though some of them are challenging everyday is an opportunity to make a difference in their lives and show them that not everyone is temporary- that despite the circumstances people will stay because of them.
    -I loved that I was given the chance to grow and experience being a specialist.
    -Employees are fun to be around despite our circumstances.

Cons

-Although I was given the chance to be specialist my pay rate didn't reflect. I felt under appreciated and over worked. The level of disorganization was beyond belief, schedules were constantly changing or not given out. Supplies were hard to come and if paid for out of pocket it wasn't reimbursed.
    -My director was a jerk, to say the least, constantly throwing our lack of education in our faces, though most of us were in the process of obtaining our degrees. He's condescending, arrogant, and just a crap person, one of his lines at a staff meeting was "If this ship sinks I'm making sure I'm taking everyone down with me".
    -No real chance for team building

Get your stuff together. Communicate with your employees more. Show appreciation, thank your staff every once in a while. Stop throwing lack of education in your employees' faces, instead give them the opportunity to learn more and grow. Implement things with time, don't change things last minute and expect things to run smoothly.

Great place to work if you love kids.

Former Employee - Group Leader/Office Worker  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Group Leader/Office Worker in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At The Children's Aid Society there is an opportunity for growth where you can experience different career opportunities

Cons

not for profit organization, funding is very limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MDFT THERAPIST

Current Employee - MDFT Therapist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - MDFT Therapist in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place for start off for new social workers out of college.

Cons

The pay is despicable, no recognition for the amount of work you do; paper work is exhausting and overwhelming.

Terrible place to work. They do not take care of their employees

Current Employee - FFT Therapist
    Current Employee - FFT Therapist

Pros

My coworkers were so miserable, that we all bonded and I made some great friends.

Cons

The workload could easily be 80 hours/week, but the pay is despicable, and there is no appreciation from management. Terrible, terrible job, with no rewards or recognition. It's impossible to help clients because the paperwork and red tape takes precedence. Very sad.

Increase morale. For social work appreciation month, don't expect the social workers to pay for their own celebrations. It's embarassing. And it actually makes us feel LESS appreciated.

Former employee

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible Schedule, benifits are good considering that is a non-profit

Cons

no growth, pay is low, no real support from managment

Support your employees so that they feel valued. there is a mayor low moral at the agency and a feeling of insecurity. It doesnt matter how much you try to do to make things better as an employee, it seems everyone is looking out for themselves in the managemnt level not caring much for the ones that work underneath them. The word "team" work is used, but, working as a team is not something they do.

Amazing

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Caring individuals, Loving and great to be around. I worked at the Next Generation Center located in the Bronx. I received my chance to work with them when I became a member. I still visit the center from time to time. This job was my stepping stone to all the other jobs I've ever had. They work with your schedule and accommodate you accordingly.

Cons

I had no problems with this job. This was one of the best job I've had. I was said when it was time for me to move on

Keep it up. You're doing a awesome job

A Good Place

Pros

Very talented and committed people working there

Cons

In the thick of internal restructuring

Keep including staff's ideas & input

Horrible Company to Work For

Former Employee - Budget Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Budget Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other employees are friendly and welcoming, relaxed office environment

Cons

CAS is way TOO political and the systems are extremely antiquated, they don't reward individuals who want to work hard (only fire them); you basically have to stay in your lane or you'll get the boot. The salary here is extremely low - but then again it is a non-profit.

Try not to do all the work yourselves and have the employees help out also, not just sitting for 8 hours doing nothing. Don't be so afraid that an entry level employee will take your job - maybe that just means you aren't working hard enough.

Group Leaders

Former Employee - Group Leader  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Group Leader in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its always rewarding working with children. My co-workers were cool to work with and my partner and I worked really well together.

Cons

I hated that we weren't supported by our senior management. Also, because I don't speak Spanish, I didn't get much support by my management, who were all Hispanic.

Staff development and more training. There needs to be more diversity, especially in inner-city schools that are predominantly black and Hispanic. There is almost always division in these cases.

Worked for The Children's Aid Society? Contribute to the Community!