The Children's Aid Society

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Children's Aid Society President & CEO Richard R. Buery, Jr

Richard R. Buery, Jr

Great place to work if you love kids.

Group Leader/Office Worker (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAt The Children's Aid Society there is an opportunity for growth where you can experience different career opportunities

Consnot for profit organization, funding is very limited.

These people are wonderful and look to help everyone, God Bless them.

Assistant Music Teacher (Current Employee)
    Bronx, NY

ProsI currently work for their School system in the Bronx where I'm an Assistant Music Teacher and enjoy working with kids teaching them on to play musical instruments in their Marching Band. I enjoy teaching them and watching them play with their uniforms in various functions, it's an honor working with the Children's Aid society. org.

ConsThe kids have a lot of classes and sometimes they can't come to practice with us, but some how they do it and they really try hard to learn, if they had more time they could play better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess basketball and more music classes where they can learn to play better songs, but I'm happy that they even have a music class. The kids enjoy it and so does the Principal, continue helping these kids and schools, so that they can learn how to play music.

MDFT THERAPIST

MDFT Therapist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood place for start off for new social workers out of college.

ConsThe pay is despicable, no recognition for the amount of work you do; paper work is exhausting and overwhelming.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible place to work. They do not take care of their employees

FFT Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsMy coworkers were so miserable, that we all bonded and I made some great friends.

ConsThe workload could easily be 80 hours/week, but the pay is despicable, and there is no appreciation from management. Terrible, terrible job, with no rewards or recognition. It's impossible to help clients because the paperwork and red tape takes precedence. Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease morale. For social work appreciation month, don't expect the social workers to pay for their own celebrations. It's embarassing. And it actually makes us feel LESS appreciated.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule, benifits are good considering that is a non-profit

Consno growth, pay is low, no real support from managment

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees so that they feel valued. there is a mayor low moral at the agency and a feeling of insecurity. It doesnt matter how much you try to do to make things better as an employee, it seems everyone is looking out for themselves in the managemnt level not caring much for the ones that work underneath them. The word "team" work is used, but, working as a team is not something they do.

Amazing

Clerical Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bronx, NY

ProsCaring individuals, Loving and great to be around. I worked at the Next Generation Center located in the Bronx. I received my chance to work with them when I became a member. I still visit the center from time to time. This job was my stepping stone to all the other jobs I've ever had. They work with your schedule and accommodate you accordingly.

ConsI had no problems with this job. This was one of the best job I've had. I was said when it was time for me to move on

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. You're doing a awesome job

A Good Place

ProsVery talented and committed people working there

ConsIn the thick of internal restructuring

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep including staff's ideas & input

Horrible Company to Work For

Budget Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsOther employees are friendly and welcoming, relaxed office environment

ConsCAS is way TOO political and the systems are extremely antiquated, they don't reward individuals who want to work hard (only fire them); you basically have to stay in your lane or you'll get the boot. The salary here is extremely low - but then again it is a non-profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to do all the work yourselves and have the employees help out also, not just sitting for 8 hours doing nothing. Don't be so afraid that an entry level employee will take your job - maybe that just means you aren't working hard enough.

Group Leaders

Group Leader (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIts always rewarding working with children. My co-workers were cool to work with and my partner and I worked really well together.

ConsI hated that we weren't supported by our senior management. Also, because I don't speak Spanish, I didn't get much support by my management, who were all Hispanic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff development and more training. There needs to be more diversity, especially in inner-city schools that are predominantly black and Hispanic. There is almost always division in these cases.

If you're not Hispanic keep on moving!

New York, NY

Pros-Working with children who are the most deserving of the agency's services
    -Intelligent minds

Cons-Lack of communication within in the entire agency
    -Pay is ridiculous!
    -No bonuses or incentive pay for those already working in the agency, yet Executive Management continues to bring new people into these new positions with GREAT PAY and they call it restructuring
    -Inadequate Supervisors
    -Cliquish atmosphere
    -Lack of advancement opportunities within the agency

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease arrange for bonuses, incentive pay or pay scale increments. It's very disappointing and discouraging to work as hard as we do and people without this level of education and experiences make more than we do! Very frustrating!!! I've seen AWESOME people leave this agency because of the lack of pay. Allow fresh, innovative, hardworking people to make this agency GREAT! It's time to get rid of these people who come everyday, gossip and drink cafe con leches!

Worked for The Children's Aid Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Aid Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Aid Society CEO Richard R. Buery, Jr. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Aid Society employees.