The Children's Aid Society

Updated December 3, 2014
2.9

The Children's Aid Society President & CEO Richard R. Buery, Jr
Richard R. Buery, Jr

The experience was great.

Former Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with children was very fun. They are our future and its portent they get proper education and have fun while learning to keep them engaged.

Cons

The school in which I was working was a little unorganized other than that everything was great.

Not bad not great

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly people, great environment, respectful employees, room for growth.Many people love staying here because there are great benefits such as sick time, vacation and holidays. 13 paid holidays plus the day after thanksgiving off, xmas eve and xmas and also new years eve and new years day.

Cons

Terrible salaries, many people working without degrees getting paid way more than they should all because they have been in the company for ages. I would be happier if my degree was more useful in this company. Summer is the busiest time of the year (if working for school age division) as there is a lot of summer camp stuff to take care of so for the most part have to use vacation either at the end of august or any other time of the year.

Need to be more organized.

program coordinator

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people who work there become truly good friends. The families and children who attend the community centers are wonderful. Lastly, the amount of donations and volunteers that give to the organization is unlike any other non-profit.

Cons

The people at the bottom get paid less while the administration gets the bulk of the salary. Plus there is a lack of employee recognition. There should be more bonuses and/or perks offered to employees for their hard-work even the part-time staff.

Lots of vacation but they don't appreciate direct workers

Current Employee - Direct Worker in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Worker in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation. If you love kids and want to make a difference then this is the job for you and honestly that's why I'm here.

Cons

First middle management sucks, directors and coordinators are young and inexperienced. They loose valuable staff and replace them with inexperienced staff because it's cheaper to hire people with little experience. They really don't have teen programs, they focus on children but children do grow up to be teens. When an employee is passionate they will drive you to quit because they will add more to your plate without a raise/recognition or new title. My site is filled with gossip and supervisors talk about their employees maliciously behind their backs. Supervisors and employees play favorites with clients and each other. It's really a huge mess and if you complain then people hate you and I have no confidence in HR. I feel if I report something it wouldn't be kept confidential because they always take the sides of managers, to be honest I've been here 3 years and I have no idea who to report anything to as we lost some key HR personnel and they were replaced by younger and seemingly inexperienced workers.

Really listen to your direct workers. Instead of bulking up the upper management staff pay the direct workers more money. Stop playing favorites employees do see this and it's an unfair practice. In addition, where is HR? Who can I really trust if I feel the agency is being racist, ageist and sexist? Reward employees who continue with the agency instead of passing them up on promotions develop them so they can be managers and supervisors there is a reason why they continue with you and it's not because of the money and as far as I'm concern the recession is over we are here because we love this job, we love the mission but it's time for you to truly listen to the direct workers.

Working in a Public School teaching kids how to play various musical instruments from 6th to 8th Graders.

Current Employee - Assistant Music Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Music Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm a professional musician for years about 35 years, not only do I teach kids from 6th -8th Grades plus I get to teach myself how to play various instruments while I'm teaching them.

Cons

I haven't come to one yet.

Hired some of us full time, full time position might help you and us at the same time.

tough organization to work for

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society

Pros

the mission is awesome - service poor children -

Cons

old systems clash with new ones - the changes one would like to implement are constantly colliding with the old fashion ways of doing business - unclear direction from management as to what systems and best approach to solve 180 year old problems. the organization is too fragmented, every division is doing its own thing with no cohesive approach from upper management.

design clear direction and clearly convey to staff the strategic message.

Disorganized. CS 211 site

Current Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only reason why I've worked at my site for 2 years is because of the kids, though some of them are challenging everyday is an opportunity to make a difference in their lives and show them that not everyone is temporary- that despite the circumstances people will stay because of them.
    -I loved that I was given the chance to grow and experience being a specialist.
    -Employees are fun to be around despite our circumstances.

Cons

-Although I was given the chance to be specialist my pay rate didn't reflect. I felt under appreciated and over worked. The level of disorganization was beyond belief, schedules were constantly changing or not given out. Supplies were hard to come and if paid for out of pocket it wasn't reimbursed.
    -My director was a jerk, to say the least, constantly throwing our lack of education in our faces, though most of us were in the process of obtaining our degrees. He's condescending, arrogant, and just a crap person, one of his lines at a staff meeting was "If this ship sinks I'm making sure I'm taking everyone down with me".
    -No real chance for team building

Get your stuff together. Communicate with your employees more. Show appreciation, thank your staff every once in a while. Stop throwing lack of education in your employees' faces, instead give them the opportunity to learn more and grow. Implement things with time, don't change things last minute and expect things to run smoothly.

Great place to work if you love kids.

Former Employee - Group Leader/Office Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Group Leader/Office Worker in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At The Children's Aid Society there is an opportunity for growth where you can experience different career opportunities

Cons

not for profit organization, funding is very limited.

MDFT THERAPIST

Current Employee - MDFT Therapist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MDFT Therapist in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place for start off for new social workers out of college.

Cons

The pay is despicable, no recognition for the amount of work you do; paper work is exhausting and overwhelming.

Terrible place to work. They do not take care of their employees

Current Employee - FFT Therapist
    Current Employee - FFT Therapist

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were so miserable, that we all bonded and I made some great friends.

Cons

The workload could easily be 80 hours/week, but the pay is despicable, and there is no appreciation from management. Terrible, terrible job, with no rewards or recognition. It's impossible to help clients because the paperwork and red tape takes precedence. Very sad.

Increase morale. For social work appreciation month, don't expect the social workers to pay for their own celebrations. It's embarassing. And it actually makes us feel LESS appreciated.