The Children's Aid Society

2.7
Phoebe Boyer

1. camp counselor

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time

Pros

-lived around the area so worked with my friends and met new people (come from the city also)
    -organized schedule
    -nice staff

Cons

-lot of rules to follow

2. I am a caseworker for Family Foster care.

Current Employee - Caseworker
    Current Employee - Caseworker

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society

Pros

Great staff, schedule can be flexible at times

Cons

Long hours, anything can come up on any differentday so you might stay late when you don't want to, underpaid and underappreciated

Advice to Management

Don't make caseloads so high for caseworkers, the work can be impossible to get done

3. Overall, great agency to work for and outstanding supervision

Former Employee - Bilingual Case Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bilingual Case Planner in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of support from program supervisors and great one-on-one weekly direct supervision, which was really helpful when dealing with difficult cases.

Cons

Sometimes, there was not a lot of communication between higher administrative staff and program supervisors which created some tension and unrealistic expectations to Case Planners.

Advice to Management

Provide more team meetings to receive feedback of Case Planners and the challenges they face in order to have more realistic expectations from Case Planners and their performance. Also, provide more opportunities for specialized trainings by bringing professional to the site or allowing employees to attend trainings.

5. Changing Infrastructure

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Flexible work hours and colleagues who are passionate about children's advocacy.

Cons

Since its a nonprofit, the rate of pay is low compared to other nonprofits. Communication on agency's infrastructure is often last minute which leaves staff anxious about their employment (lay-offs are often in that agency).

Advice to Management

Keep communication open between upper management and their employees.

6. Awful experience from start to finish - including the interviewing process which took 2 months.

Former Employee - Carrera Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Carrera Social Worker in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers enjoy working with kids

Cons

At my (former) site, being politically savvy was prioritized over everything else, including the kids. Because school leadership had recently been completely overhauled, the relationship between Carrera and the school was rocky at best. Unfortunately the school made it blatantly obvious that we were not valued and completely restricted our functioning to the point of conducting therapy in a stairwell with tons of other kids, school staff and administrators walking by. As a result, CAS staff were resentful, demoralized, and VERY unhappy. Because our clinical supervisor believed the school SW was the best way to build a partnership, the newest member of the team was fired after 1 month on the job (effectively scape-goated) because of a disagreement with the school SW. Meanwhile, the rest of the 'team' was bullied by the clinical supervisor - who was also providing supervision to the school SW after hours - into being overly deferential to the school SW at all costs. This was NOT a healthy environment.

Advice to Management

*Try being transparent with your employees rather than manipulative and dodgy.
    *Don't bully your staff - there are ways to get what you need out of employees without using covert manipulative tactics that only diminish your ability to be trusted by staff.
    *Try to reevaluate the site your program is placed in and build relationships with school administration yourself and establish some ground rules for a partnership -or at least a dialogue- rather than relying solely on your employees to do the leg work.
    *Furthermore, Children's Aid is known to be good at fundraising - more so than other non profits - yet they compensate their employees horribly. I'm sure the directors of the programs aren't as terribly compensated as regular staff.
    *Also: From my short time there, I saw extremely high turnover in employees, even in HR. This is not a good sign.

7. The experience was great.

Former Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Facilitator in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with children was very fun. They are our future and its portent they get proper education and have fun while learning to keep them engaged.

Cons

The school in which I was working was a little unorganized other than that everything was great.

8. Not bad not great

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly people, great environment, respectful employees, room for growth.Many people love staying here because there are great benefits such as sick time, vacation and holidays. 13 paid holidays plus the day after thanksgiving off, xmas eve and xmas and also new years eve and new years day.

Cons

Terrible salaries, many people working without degrees getting paid way more than they should all because they have been in the company for ages. I would be happier if my degree was more useful in this company. Summer is the busiest time of the year (if working for school age division) as there is a lot of summer camp stuff to take care of so for the most part have to use vacation either at the end of august or any other time of the year.

Advice to Management

Need to be more organized.

9. Lots of vacation but they don't appreciate direct workers

Current Employee - Direct Worker in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Worker in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation. If you love kids and want to make a difference then this is the job for you and honestly that's why I'm here.

Cons

First middle management sucks, directors and coordinators are young and inexperienced. They loose valuable staff and replace them with inexperienced staff because it's cheaper to hire people with little experience. They really don't have teen programs, they focus on children but children do grow up to be teens. When an employee is passionate they will drive you to quit because they will add more to your plate without a raise/recognition or new title. My site is filled with gossip and supervisors talk about their employees maliciously behind their backs. Supervisors and employees play favorites with clients and each other. It's really a huge mess and if you complain then people hate you and I have no confidence in HR. I feel if I report something it wouldn't be kept confidential because they always take the sides of managers, to be honest I've been here 3 years and I have no idea who to report anything to as we lost some key HR personnel and they were replaced by younger and seemingly inexperienced workers.

Advice to Management

Really listen to your direct workers. Instead of bulking up the upper management staff pay the direct workers more money. Stop playing favorites employees do see this and it's an unfair practice. In addition, where is HR? Who can I really trust if I feel the agency is being racist, ageist and sexist? Reward employees who continue with the agency instead of passing them up on promotions develop them so they can be managers and supervisors there is a reason why they continue with you and it's not because of the money and as far as I'm concern the recession is over we are here because we love this job, we love the mission but it's time for you to truly listen to the direct workers.

10. program coordinator

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people who work there become truly good friends. The families and children who attend the community centers are wonderful. Lastly, the amount of donations and volunteers that give to the organization is unlike any other non-profit.

Cons

The people at the bottom get paid less while the administration gets the bulk of the salary. Plus there is a lack of employee recognition. There should be more bonuses and/or perks offered to employees for their hard-work even the part-time staff.

11. tough organization to work for

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society

Pros

the mission is awesome - service poor children -

Cons

old systems clash with new ones - the changes one would like to implement are constantly colliding with the old fashion ways of doing business - unclear direction from management as to what systems and best approach to solve 180 year old problems. the organization is too fragmented, every division is doing its own thing with no cohesive approach from upper management.

Advice to Management

design clear direction and clearly convey to staff the strategic message.