The Children's Aid Society

The Children's Aid Society President/CEO Phoebe Boyer
Phoebe Boyer

1. Social Worker

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time

Pros

I appreciated the collaboration with other colleagues. I was also given a lot of time off and flexibility when needed.

Cons

My immediate director was undermining and divisive, which led to issues within my own department. I felt I learned and performed as best I was able to under these circumstances.

Advice to Management

Please treat staff with respect and try to bring them together.

2. Maintenance Worker

Current Employee - Maintenance Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Maintenance Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time

Pros

Very nice Place to work at

Cons

There is no room for advancement

3. pay staff what they're worth

I have been working at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The vacation time is one of the best. I've been employed with cas for 7 years and accrue 2 vacation days a month, 1 sick day a month and 3 personal a year. Unfortunately new hires are not as lucky and recieve .83 sick days a month, 1.5 vacation days per month and 2 personal days a year. Current CEO seems very passionate about the goals and future of our agency. She also reinstated our annual holiday party which we have not had in about 6 years. She makes it a point to visit with all sites and works hard to bring in funding.

Cons

Staff are not paid what they are worth and often asked to make miracles with very little or no money in the budget. It is nearly impossible to move up if you do not have a degree.

Advice to Management

Instead of having a huge expensive summit every year, give staff a raise or bonus. Many of us are struggling and unable to keep up with the cost of living which is not good for our morale.

5. Social Work Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Good Supervision, good management

Cons

a lot of documentation is requires, very low clinical experience

6. It

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wish I had something else positive to say besides the 35 hours work week, benefits and dedicated colleagues (especially the ones who served this population directly).

Cons

The agency recently went thru an organizational restructure again where their mission has changed for serving underserved youths and their families to a charter school based environment "Keeping the Promise" program. A promised not delivered to cuttings most of their afterschool programs, selling of properties in the much needed communities and laying off workers with very little notice. Very low morale and too many favoritism in upper management

Advice to Management

Listen to your colleagues that isn't senior management. They're the ones who are in the field and know hands on to what's going on. Not senior management

7. Community Schools

Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, friendly co-workers, ample resources, vacation & sick days

Cons

Poor pay Can't really take earned vacation Upper Management & Mid Management need to sync up

Advice to Management

Pay your mid-level managers more and stop taking the higher salaries for yourself, especially since they are the one's on the front lines, working summer camp and day to day with the schools, teachers, students and parents.

8. camp counselor

I worked at The Children's Aid Society part-time

Pros

-lived around the area so worked with my friends and met new people (come from the city also) -organized schedule -nice staff

Cons

-lot of rules to follow

9. I am a caseworker for Family Foster care.

Current Employee - Caseworker
    Current Employee - Caseworker

Pros

Great staff, schedule can be flexible at times

Cons

Long hours, anything can come up on any differentday so you might stay late when you don't want to, underpaid and underappreciated

Advice to Management

Don't make caseloads so high for caseworkers, the work can be impossible to get done

10. Overall, great agency to work for and outstanding supervision

Former Employee - Bilingual Case Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bilingual Case Planner in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of support from program supervisors and great one-on-one weekly direct supervision, which was really helpful when dealing with difficult cases.

Cons

Sometimes, there was not a lot of communication between higher administrative staff and program supervisors which created some tension and unrealistic expectations to Case Planners.

Advice to Management

Provide more team meetings to receive feedback of Case Planners and the challenges they face in order to have more realistic expectations from Case Planners and their performance. Also, provide more opportunities for specialized trainings by bringing professional to the site or allowing employees to attend trainings.

11. Awful experience from start to finish - including the interviewing process which took 2 months.

Former Employee - Carrera Social Worker in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Carrera Social Worker in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Children's Aid Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers enjoy working with kids

Cons

At my (former) site, being politically savvy was prioritized over everything else, including the kids. Because school leadership had recently been completely overhauled, the relationship between Carrera and the school was rocky at best. Unfortunately the school made it blatantly obvious that we were not valued and completely restricted our functioning to the point of conducting therapy in a stairwell with tons of other kids, school staff and administrators walking by. As a result, CAS staff were resentful, demoralized, and VERY unhappy. Because our clinical supervisor believed the school SW was the best way to build a partnership, the newest member of the team was fired after 1 month on the job (effectively scape-goated) because of a disagreement with the school SW. Meanwhile, the rest of the 'team' was bullied by the clinical supervisor - who was also providing supervision to the school SW after hours - into being overly deferential to the school SW at all costs. This was NOT a healthy environment.

Advice to Management

*Try being transparent with your employees rather than manipulative and dodgy. *Don't bully your staff - there are ways to get what you need out of employees without using covert manipulative tactics that only diminish your ability to be trusted by staff. *Try to reevaluate the site your program is placed in and build relationships with school administration yourself and establish some ground rules for a partnership -or at least a dialogue- rather than relying solely on your employees to do the leg work. *Furthermore, Children's Aid is known to be good at fundraising - more so than other non profits - yet they compensate their employees horribly. I'm sure the directors of the programs aren't as terribly compensated as regular staff. *Also: From my short time there, I saw extremely high turnover in employees, even in HR. This is not a good sign.

RSS Feed </> Embed