The Children's Home

childrenshome.org

The Children's Home Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

A decent job to have between undergrad and grad school

Tutor, Pinellas School Support Team (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGave me the opportunity for a variety of tutoring experiences with children of all grades, races/ethnicities, and life situations/experiences/family issues. I also liked being able to participate in weekly staff meetings and have a chance to share my perspective.

ConsOne thing I really disliked was having to travel all over Pinellas County to get to the homes and schools where I would be tutoring students, but I suppose that was part of the deal. The other thing was that I was a full-time, hourly employee with a benefits package and that was taken away from me when I was laid off and re-hired as a contractor. My hourly wage went from $11.50 an hour to $25 an hour but I no longer had full-time work nor the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more regular feedback to employees and keep them abreast of organizational changes, especially if their positions will be affected.

DO NOT WORK HERE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe kids live on-site so you can see the precious lives that you are helping.

ConsThe CEO Irene is HORRIBLE! She is basically there to collect a paycheck. She is a poor speaker, she has her favorites, and she has no idea how to run a nonprofit and is definitely not a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Irene and get a CEO that truly cares about the kids and knows what they are doing to make CHI successful.

Overworked, underpaid, disrespected

Farm Manager (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsThe kids, the coworkers, the work. The area was beautiful in downtown Winston, the farm was scenic and lovely.

ConsManagement had no clue of what employees actually did, but thought they always knew more. They would make up ways to do things that were completely against anything you had ever learned in experience or academic coursework.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should respect your employees that have more knowledge in certain areas than you do. If you hire someone for a job, don't think you are smarter than them, especially when you have never had any real training in the sector where you hired them.

Worked for The Children's Home? Contribute to the Community!