The Children's Home Reviews

1.7
CEO

1. Corporate Culture Change

I worked at The Children's Home full-time

Pros

When I worked there,The Children's Home provided shelter for abused and neglected children who were removed from parental control by the State. You came in feeling you could really make a difference, and you did, one child at a time.

Cons

It appears that new management has turned it into an armed camp instead of a caring, safe environment for traumatized children.

Advice to Management

Review the original mission and vision of the organization. Sometimes change for change sake is not a good thing.

2. Case Worker

I worked at The Children's Home

Pros

The organization does good work to help children & their foster families.

Cons

Internally, not a kind place to work.

Advice to Management

Require all managers in all depts and locations to take some anti-bully and sensitivity training.

3. DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Children's Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids live on-site so you can see the precious lives that you are helping.

Cons

The CEO Irene is HORRIBLE! She is basically there to collect a paycheck. She is a poor speaker, she has her favorites, and she has no idea how to run a nonprofit and is definitely not a leader.

Advice to Management

Fire Irene and get a CEO that truly cares about the kids and knows what they are doing to make CHI successful.

5. Overworked, underpaid, disrespected

Former Employee - Farm Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Farm Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at The Children's Home

Pros

The kids, the coworkers, the work. The area was beautiful in downtown Winston, the farm was scenic and lovely.

Cons

Management had no clue of what employees actually did, but thought they always knew more. They would make up ways to do things that were completely against anything you had ever learned in experience or academic coursework.

Advice to Management

You should respect your employees that have more knowledge in certain areas than you do. If you hire someone for a job, don't think you are smarter than them, especially when you have never had any real training in the sector where you hired them.

6. A decent job to have between undergrad and grad school

Former Employee - Tutor, Pinellas School Support Team in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor, Pinellas School Support Team in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Children's Home

Pros

Gave me the opportunity for a variety of tutoring experiences with children of all grades, races/ethnicities, and life situations/experiences/family issues. I also liked being able to participate in weekly staff meetings and have a chance to share my perspective.

Cons

One thing I really disliked was having to travel all over Pinellas County to get to the homes and schools where I would be tutoring students, but I suppose that was part of the deal. The other thing was that I was a full-time, hourly employee with a benefits package and that was taken away from me when I was laid off and re-hired as a contractor. My hourly wage went from $11.50 an hour to $25 an hour but I no longer had full-time work nor the benefits.

Advice to Management

Give more regular feedback to employees and keep them abreast of organizational changes, especially if their positions will be affected.

RSS Feed </> Embed