The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

CEO

1. Development Ambassador

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I only worked Mon-Thurs. I worked evenings and was able to go to school during the time I worked there. Also, the environment was great! The staff was amazing and the Children's Museum as a whole always sends great vibes, even on my bad days. The perks of working there were great: free Family Membership, discounts at the store and cafeteria, invitations to staff & donor only events and receiving first hand updates.

Cons

I only worked Mon-Thurs; it wasn't enough hours. On top of that, we worked to bring in over $100,000 for the Children's museum but was stuck at $8.50/hr with 4 hours per shift. Only to get our program cut completely- without warning.

Advice to Management

Please let the employees know ahead of time that their program may get cut. Also, if there is a position that is strictly bringing in money to the organization, please give them more than $8.50 an hour. Especially on such short shifts. I'm sure there is a new and improved program there by now though.

Mixed bag

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time

Pros

Fabulous benefits, exciting calendar of exhibits and regular and special programs. Lots of really wonderful co-workers. Provides learning opportunities in a really fun way. Always great to people watch the kids and parents/grandparents.

Cons

Some inter-departmental issues - haves/have nots. Sometimes unrealistic expectations in terms of work-life balance. Long-time employees not always a good thing.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunity for truly anonymous feedback - no computers, no handwriting - not sure how that works but people are afraid they will be 'caught' providing even constructive feedback.

3. VS

Former Employee - Visitor Services in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Visitor Services in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow Employees where great to work with. The atmosphere wad really fun. I enjoyed working with children. The exhibits were great.

Cons

The managers micromanaged us and treated us like children. The current President doesn't care about his lower level employees. There is absolutely no diversity.

Advice to Management

Get you stuff together

5. Excellent place to work

Pros

Interesting, challenging work. A strong team ethic and lots of support while training. Most managers are committed to promoting from within.

Cons

Turnover in full-time positions is low, so it can be difficult to move up.

6. I loved working with everyone at the Museum.

Pros

Lots of fun activities to do with the kids, and a good atmosphere for adults.

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

7. Marketing Coordinator

Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, and a lot of opportunity to take on new roles/challenges.

Cons

Small department, so there is little room for growth/promotion.

8. Loved it!

Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyable working environment, wonderful people.

Cons

The Pay scale could be better

Buyer beware

Pros

Great insurance and paid time off. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Low wages. Cost structure is looking more and more like Walmart than a cultural institution. Upper level management is overcompensated for a non-profit. Other workers struggle to survive. Little room for advancement. No maternity leave beyond federal laws. Ironically, no child care for staff.

Advice to Management

Support a livable wage for staff. Don't hoard all the wealth. Why are your salaries consistent with inflation while customer service workers starting hourly wage remains low?

10. Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis part-time

Pros

The Intern Coordinator is super kind and supportive. Be sure to use her advice and resources! You will end up with a great portfolio if you diligently ask for more responsibilities.

Cons

Hard to come up with real work to do. Filling your time can be difficult. Asking for more responsibilities may not result in enough work to fill your day. Unpaid. A bit of necessary busy work.

Advice to Management

Organization and higher expectations for interns would make their experiences much more fulfilling and challenging.

Best place to work!!

Current Employee - Construction Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Construction Services Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Children's Museum of Indianapolis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, great pay, nice campus! The benefits are awesome as well!

Cons

Well.... There are no cons! I have been here for about a year and have absolutely no complaints!

RSS Feed </> Embed