The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 42 reviews
  • "zero work life balance for a salaried manager"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst job ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good thing is the discount

ConsRude customers....seriously customers at walmart are more well behaved. Constantly wanting free stuff. Disorganized stock room. Burnt out managers. Crazy high turn over rates. No room to move up. Really low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the quality of people you put in management.

Take, take and more take.

ASM (Current Employee)

ProsTalking to polite customers and the satisfaction I get from helping them. Nothing about this company. Your discount isn't even good when you realize how much this company pays for the slave clothes from Bangladesh. They still make money off of you.

ConsI am a asm at a location in North Am. I am paid LESS than some of our keyholder wages. I cannot say anything because taking about wage is reason for dismissal. Bringing home an average 720 dollar pay after taxes I am NO longer allowed 2 days off in a row. I am expected to bend over backwards and meet unrealistic expectations with nothing in return. Actually we do quite well for our store but ONE bad day with conversion and you can expect your dm to call...blame you for everything and then not let you say a word. Here's an idea...A thank you every now and then would be great. Throw some incentives out. Negativity all the time makes me want to STOP all my extra efforts. This company is cheap. You're busting your butt to make the head execs richer.They made me quit my second job because apparently I need 100 percent availability while only receiving 33-35 hours a week. Every part-time person I work with is miserable and hates the company. My manager often cries because our dm lacks any humanity from being brain washed by this terrible company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDm needs to stop being so mean. Mesh bags don't solve everything and sometimes it is out of our control.
    Don't expect the world when you underpay your management like you did to me. Finding out 2 other part time employees make more than me really puts the icing on the cake.
    Stop talking about being positive on conference calls but then only being negative to us. It's hypocritical and makes for a NEGATIVE selling day.

Experienced retail manager goes into caos

Houston, TX

Prosdeveloping associates to better positions in the company

ConsComing from Limited Brands that is all about growth and knowledge I was shocked how I only received a week for training as a store manager. I also did not have support from peers or direct leader

Advice to Senior Managementinvest on training on all levels and truely be a customer service based company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No no no

Sales Lead (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsThere are nopros because even the discount matches most customer's coupons

ConsI could be here all day...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't listen anyway.

Very political, Bad Management, There are powerful people in that company that are slithering snakes.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company has Summer hours. The company offers HR self-improvement courses. The company offers discounts and throws a nice Christmas party and morale boosting parties at the beginning and end of Summer.

ConsIt was a good job until they made somebody the fall guy when an IT project did not go well. It really was not this person's fault. There was so much upper management turnover during the project. The project was mishandled because there was no consistent project manager.

The company was very deceitful in treating me when I had concerns about what my role would be on a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO called a meeting for IT. All she did was bash the department. They presented the department with nine initiatives. After the meeting, we never heard about the presentation again. Try to work with your subordinates positively when mistakes happen, instead of firing them. People do not work well under a regime that manages by fear.

RUN!

Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat Culture when you can find the time around a delivery of 250 boxes of shipment a week!

ConsEverything.... I'm not joking.... No payroll, no work life balance, absolutely no compassion to build the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a store... Remind yourself while your there everyday!

Worst job ever!

Vaughan, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are none that I could see

ConsUnorganized and no direction given. Won't let a plan work before they decide it won't work to make store productive.

Store Manager

ProsFlexible hours, competitive pay and PTO

ConsCorporate seems disorganized and unable to standby decisions. They either wait till the last minute or constantly revise their decisions. Corporate always changes their due dates of when things are to be done, while stores remain accountable to uphold theirs. When you have tight payroll and have to redo projects due to their lack of decision making it totally makes me feel that they disrepect managers time. Manager does not get their own personal e-mail, which makes it difficult to talk to dm on private confidential matters. POS systems are not up-to-date. Payroll is extremely tight and stores are run on two coverage. Since associates are not allowed to be alone in the store at anytime, this type of coverage typically means you are unable to leave on your break. Store manager position is meerly a "job" not a career. This position and the company were misrepresented to me at the interview process. Do yourself a favor and don't look for employment here.

Imagine you're drowning and someone hands you a bowling ball...

Secaucus, NJ

ProsStarbucks nearby... Starbucks nearby... Starbucks nearby... Starbucks nearby... Starbucks nearby... Starbucks nearby... And close to home. That's it!

ConsHostile work environment cultivated from the highest level down, unhappy culture in most non-creative departments, employees are disposable. If you are unable to operate as a puppet robot, you will not survive. This company attempted to force me to ignore compliance regulations. They hook you in with a great PTO and salary package that is difficult to replace when you're trying to move on before they dispose of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBurn the place to the ground and start over...

Strong back ... Wean mind!!

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsConstantly hiring so no problem finding an opening

ConsHuge workload with no payroll to get it done.
    Lots of paperwork and reports but no time to do as there are only 2 people in the store at a time.
    If you are looking for a first time management job to move your resume to the next level give it a try ... but as soon as you take the offer start looking for a real company to work for!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business model is sustainable ... what about your people model, do you even care?

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 455 reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.