The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 42 reviews
  • "zero work life balance for a salaried manager"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Aweful company.

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

ConsRead all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

At the time the company switched from a customer service focus to a more operational one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was close to home, pay was decent.

ConsPayroll was extremely low, frequently just me and one other in the store, which made it difficult to perform managerial duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what it is like there at this time, but employee morale and turnover was bad when i worked there, and as a manager it was difficult to make up for low pay, long hours and high expectations!

Disappointed at best

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have kids, it's a decent clothing discount

ConsNo payroll for anything. No training hours for any level except store manager or above, no shipment hours, no floor set hours, and extemely high customer service standards and the expectations change quarterly depending on which person you talk to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please stop over working employees! We cannot continue to work for minimum pay and minimum benefits. If it matters at all to retain good people than please change your payroll structure and appreciate the people in the field actually making you money everyday.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Level Is a Great Place to Work

Sales Lead (Current Employee)

Prosgood employee discount, managers have ability to works several aspects of the business, relaxed attitude when it comes to scheduling, usually open to new ideas based on what is best for each store, great promotions for customers, decent raises once a year, nice culture with other stores in district

Conspushy with credit cards, stingy with payroll which leads managers to spend a lot of customer service time dealing with visual merchandising, does not promote from within the company/lots of outside hiring

Awful company to work for.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for management team.

ConsHave begun paying associates part time. Will cut hours in the middle of the week. Lack of communication between store managers and district managers/regional managers. Very unprofessional. No support from upper management. Stores that are not succeeding are left high and dry. Even when you ask for help, it will be weeks before someone from upper management gets to your store, if at all. There are better corporations to work for, this one just doesn't have it together.

Unrealistic workload

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsIf you have kids the discount is wonderful and the clothes are a good quality.

ConsLow wages, unrealistic workload to staffing ratio, not very good about promoting from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at work load to staffing management. It is understandable that you can't pay people if you aren't reaching sales goals. But at the same time, if you were proactive with adding more staff/hours at heavy shipment times it would increase sales because product would get to the floor faster increasing sales. It is near impossible to service customers at company standards and get other responsibilities accomplished without enough staff.

Unrealistic expectations; cuts costs whenever possible.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsI met some really great people, made some great friends, learned excellent time management from the abundance of tasks to get done. My boss (DM) was awesome. A lot of room for growth. (I started as a sales lead, was a store manager within 2 years and managed 3 different stores for the company; although people drop like flies there so there are always open positions.)

ConsNo payroll!!! (I probably would have stayed if I wasn't forced to run a $1.5 million store on 190 hours a week; same amount of hours I was given for a $900,000 store). Disorganized; there's always changes to policies, product recalls, floorset changes/updates the day after floorset is completed, same day pricing changes. Unrealistic expectations; they will give you an entire season floorset and expect you to get it done with no added hours (no one ever got it done on time, at least in the bigger stores). Shipment was relentless, 120-180 boxes/week with no resources to get it done. Supply ordering is very budgeted. Most months just ordering bags took me to my budget limit so I had to buy handsoap and cleaner out of pocket to have it in store.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate people need to go into a high volume store and watch them work on the hours that they're given with the workload they are given and see how crazy it can get when you factor in the customer traffic and demand. Try a different approach and learn from the people that work for you instead of making ridiculous demands. Get feedback and actually listen to it.

District manager

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat working with the non executive team

ConsWorst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Love the people but...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with great people

ConsOverloaded with price changes/visual moves
    No hours to get things done
    No hours to give to employees
    Corporate has unrealistic expectation within given time constraints.
    Employees get in trouble for not meeting credit app goals.
    Minimum wage pay with no benefits or bonuses
    Says customer always comes first but get upset when tasks are unfinished.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive stores more payroll during heavy pricing events or floor set changes. Once a store falls behind, it is extremely difficult to catch up with day to day tasks.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOffers health insurance, two weeks of paid time off, 30% off everything including clearance, flexible schedules including up to two weekends off a month, and holiday pay.

ConsCompany cut their budget on payroll so we are working with only two people in the store at all times which means we don't get bathroom breaks or breaks at all; This also makes it easier for theft. Old registers and old technology which makes the selling and return process very slow. No process on training which leads to under performing management and staff. To many price points in the store which leads to confusion and frustration from the customers. Lots of time and money wasted on changing prices every Monday night, sometimes the price changes one cent. Money wasted on marketing for the window and signage on the sales floor, used for one week then tossed in the trash. Customer service is horrible due to the only two employees working are on the registers and nobody is on the sales floor. Keep in mind, the store is running with only two people in the store at one time so no extra hours are given for tasks including training.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate makes decisions that are not in the company's best interest, before making changes YOU should work in a store for thirty days before implementing the changes. Company should focus on customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction before before making poor decisions based on profit margins.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 455 reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.