The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great discount off anything on-top of sales going on"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 39 reviews
  • "They should have a better system so you don't have to get a last minute babysitter"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Okay job if you are not worried about a career...or money.

Team Lead (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

ProsEven if you just work four hours every two weeks you will still receive the thirty percent off discount.

ConsUnless you are in upper management you are normally scheduled for only 4-12 hours a week but then have another 4-12 hours a week that you are to call-in to see if you are needed for the day which kills your personal life...if you want one. If you like structure, there is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn store-if you expect something from your associates you should be setting the example.
Regional/Corporate-be realistic with your expectations and do not show favorites. Each store in your region/district are yours...own it...good or bad.

Don't walk run away as fast as you can from this company

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

ProsThe pay is ok and the PTO is good, if you can use it.

ConsThe worse company I have ever worked for. Their is no support for the Store Manager by DM or HR. They turn and burn the Store Manager. I have never seen such a large turn over in management and associates in any company I have worked for due to the heavy workload and lack of support.

Just when you think that things can't get any worse, they do. It is not humanly possible for 2 people to do everything. No matter how "amazing" store teams are, it simply cannot get done. It is a sweat shop environment and culture for the store employees due to the large work load and bare minimum payroll.

It's not a matter of our associates having proper training... we can't keep up! Having 2 people on the sales floor on a Back to school Saturday is just ridiculous, but sorry customer we can't bring another associate out to ring you up because there are only two of us, yes you can speak to the store manager because it is Me, but if you can give me just a moment or two and yelling "HI, WELCOME TO THE CHILDREN"S PLACE!" to every customer that walks in while I'm handing out blue mesh bags to any person that walks by and soliciting the MyPlace rewards and Place Credit card, getting email and phone numbers and processing returns by every other customer with the slowest return process ever. Mean while the customers on the floor are loading up their bags and walking out with merchandise because there is not enough payroll for floor coverage and customer service.

Floor-set guides are sent out in advance only to be completely changed at the last minute and due to be completed in 24 hours. Can you guess?- zero hours are given to undo what took you a week to complete ( because you ONLY have during business hours to get this done.) Oh yeah and We want you to snap pictures of it with our cheap camera and submit to us by the end of the day.

No training hours at all, even for Store Managers.

Very few fixtures are not broken. A lot of fixtures held together with packing tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you realize the heavy work load because you are always apologizing for it in letters from corporate and emails. Do something about it and support the Store Managers and associates and work toward a better working environment with extra payroll and the tools needed to do their job.

Stop spending money on the mountains of marketing that is never used and even worse....the marketing that comes to the stores in error (incorrect price chart signs for Black Friday, giant elf figures for the holiday windows, or even inserts for those fancy lanyards that don't even fit?!)

Invest in your associates with a better work environment by believing in your Store Managers and supporting them. Give back in some way to the associates to show you appreciate them for the hard work

Going from Bad to Worse

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelationships on store level. Team effort. Salary & PTO.

ConsJust when you think that things can't get any worse, they do. It is not humanly possible for 2 people to do everything. No matter how "amazing" store teams are, it simply cannot get done.

This is Freshmen college level Business 101. Yes, there is a direct correlation between profitability and payroll budgets. The reason business is so bad right now, is because you have slashed the payroll. Cutting payroll to absolute minimum is NOT the answer!

Store Manager = Stock Person (no longer allowed to have one of those), Maintenance Man (Repairs & Supply Orders Not Allowed & Constantly Being Put on Essential Only Status), Janitor (all cleaning falls on you, including the 150 feet of windows), Cashier (no payroll to have anyone to work besides leaders), Sales Person on the floor passing out blue bags, communicating promotional messages, soliciting credit cards and rewards programs (no payroll for Sales Associates, period) and be the Leader of the Business! Unless I learn how to genetically duplicate myself, it isn't all going to happen! I'm already working 6 days per week, going in on my days off and even on my vacation because the expectations are so unrealistic.

Life-Work Balance is completely non-existent. Say goodbye to your family, because you will never see them again. The only way that will happen is if your DM pushes you out because you are not one of her butt-kissing favorites.

As for LP, forget about it! The product is being stuffed in bags right in front of your eyes and there is nothing you can do about it. Mark my words....2013 shrink results will be much much worse due to the HUGE and unnecessary cuts in payroll. Shoplifting rings are currently capitalizing on the lack of coverage in stores. 2 person coverage does not work on a busy Saturday in a 5000-6000 square foot store!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on the mountains of marketing that is never used and even worse....the marketing that comes to the stores in error (incorrect price chart signs for Black Friday, giant elf figures for the holiday windows, or even inserts for those fancy lanyards that don't even fi?!)

TCP is flushing money down the toilet on anything and everything it possibly can. Put the money where it matters and where the business happens! Invest in the stores, not $1400 airfare (per person) for holiday meeting travel! Ridiculous! Ever heard of video conferencing? Even the excessive and repetitive conference calls could be used to cut down on travel pay. Simply put, move the money to where it matters. Take it from the unnecessary buckets and spend it on store level.

DSM's exhibiting blatant and unprofessional favoritism has got to stop! Store A gets 187 hours to do $35,000. Store B gets 225 hours to do $29,000. On what planet does that make any sense? DSM traveling, cavorting, and socializing with store managers is just plain bad and decreases morale throughout an entire district. And then the same DSM's bad-mouth current employees to external candidates. Why is this type of behavior tolerated?

Use that fine-toothed comb to examine DSM's and above. You've abused the store level people to the point that they are literally all getting ready to walk out on you (not in just one store, this is going to end up being division/company wide).

My last suggestion would be to take a look at all of these reviews on this website and then filter them just by position. If literally every single Store Manager review says the same thing, then there has got to be a problem. In TCP's case, there is a multitude of problems.

If I'm working at The Children's Place, what are they doing in hell right now

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood benefits, good relationship with co-workers

Consridiculous workload, no payroll, minimum to say the least, barely keeps the doors open.Sweat shop working conditions, very unsafe.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the rest of us on planet earth, and come to terms that the ridiculous workload and no payroll does not add up. When was the last time that any corporate payroll hours were cut? These are where the real cuts should be made, not at store level. You are only hurting the company in the longrun.Allocations and visual need to be especially lookes at. You could hire chimps and they would do a better job.Hope all the executives are enjoying their big bonuses from all the payroll that has been withheld from the stores.

Most of the job consists of recovering the store which is always a mess. Company has made refunds of merchandise hard

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

ProsA good discount but no comraderie because everyone hates it.

ConsPoor management, no lunch outside the building, scrubbing the bathroom...a public bathroom...I don't think so;

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone to do just recovery so associates can deal with customers. There is no training on anything, its just a big joke, then when you have a question they just look at you

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great for part-time, Don't make a career with this company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery friendly managers
Worked with my school schedule
Always a sale on top of my discount
Some very sweet customers

ConsWhat ever PTO and Sick time y'all are talking about? I've never heard of such as just an ASSOCIATE.

-DMs and above are awful- they have absolutely no idea what it is like to work in the actual store and they set unrealistic expectations such as counting how many mesh bags we give out, merchandise 40+ boxes a shipment WHILE greeting every customer, keeping the store picked up and meeting sales goals.
-Hassling every customer for Rewards club, Place Card, Phone & Email
-Too many boxes of shipment at one time
-No payroll hours to meet the demand of the business and those unrealistic goals
-Poor/Slow return policy and procedures: everything is down by hand and cannot scan receipts as in every other store.
-Staying in the business past time of clocking out so emails can get sent to DMs
-Getting fussed at if you go over payroll even by a minute or two
-Constant floor set changes and resetting sales
-Grouchy customers when they don't get their way
-Overwhelming floorsets
-No pay raise (not even for managers) because store goals were not met on any level

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in a store before you step foot in a supervisory role, stop sending so much shipment every day and expect it to be done along with meeting your sales goals, recreate your return procedures and make them fast, easy and smooth. Stop making us hassle customers, they just want to check out!

Worse Professional Experience of my life.

Odessa, TX

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat PTO (cant use it though) Great health insurance (if you can take a day off to go to the Dr.)

ConsNo support from DM. Managers are overworked to the point that turnover is outrageous. Daily tasks are impossible in order to serve customers properly. I was told by my DM that I was not someones personal shopper and helping them shop was not my job. No payroll hours to complete tasks. I was a remote store-DM would say she was coming and never show up. My district was micromanaged to the point that we had to report to her numerous times a day and we were unable to just do our job. DM was sneaky and would post your job online if she didnt like you. Absolutely the worst manager position I ever held. I am glad that I found a great company that stands behind their employees and doesnt set them up for failure. No contact with any other higher management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the Ft Worth DM and her numbers and turnover percent. There is a reason why no one stays long in her district, No support for managers. She is overpaid and UNDERworked. I did inventory with only 4 people in a 2.5 million dollar store. I finally had to shut it down because my 3 other employees had school the next day. I begged for help-she was hone by 6pm. We stayed until after 3am and I finally stopped counting. No work/life balance for managers-she has one though.

Terrible experience

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, at least for store managers
Pto's - 22 days paid PTO

ConsFloor sets/changes weekly
Signage/pricing changes numerous times per week
Overload of shipment, with no extra hours and support
Poor communication, expectations set from upper management and not communicated until a visit
If you want to be promoted, expect to be their b****
Good luck having a social life, expect long hours cause of the lack of payroll

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck in the future, you will need it with more competition coming and your poor planning

Disappointing

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great pay/benefits
-Never boring
-Good employee discount

Cons-This company has very unrealistic expectations of store teams
-Extremely low payroll given just to run the store, let alone all the other workload we have
-HR doesn't listen or help. They receive a complaint and throw it in the garbage.
-Store manager is the only salaried position, so you end up working 50+ hours a week because you don't have payroll for anyone else to do the work.
-"Boys Club" in HQ is ridiculous - if you're a female, good luck!

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the reviews on this site! A lot of your employees are all saying the same things, and this is honest feedback you should use to make improvements.

Not in a miilion years!

SSM (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe only pro is the PTO package. If you get to use it. The blackout period is just about all year long!!!!!

ConsThis is the absolute most dysfuntional retail companies I have ever been employed for in my life. They use the salaried management position to get all of the workload done. They ended the co-manager salaried postions for 90% of the company with a plan to use and abuse the remaining salaried position left. We are threatened, bullied and work out of fear to perform. They have unrealistic expectaions and expect to get that work load done immediately. Hours are at bare minimal "as our D.M. puts it" and expect us to recruit at the drop of a dime. Well my question is, how can you have a positive attitude to recruit for a compnay that you have grown to depsise? How can you have a positive outlook for your future when you head is spinning out of control. This will lead to no work life balance and getting menatally and physically drained. I am not one to complain but needed to get the word out that the Children's Place is not commpany to work for if yo value your life. I was embarrassed to even admit I work for that company and am glad I was smart enough to move on. I feel sorry for the next victim to work for this so called company.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 390 reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.