The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros:
  • "A higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired"
    in 42 reviews
  • "zero work life balance for a salaried manager"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Store Sales Manager

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team within my own location as well as a couple of my fellow SSM's.

ConsOutrageous expectations and absolutely no support to get the heavy workload completed. Unqualified upper management. Micro managing experienced, successful SSM's to the point of complete frustration. Pay is way below industry standard. No positive recognition...but there is plenty of time for negative recognition. You make company issued plans, work your tail off to beat them, only to have them set them higher and higher so there is no possible way for you to make bonus or have a successful review at the end of the year. You're told to get your store perfect for VP visit...do what it takes...only to be told AFTER the visit "No one should work 12 hour days for a visit prep, your stores should be that perfect all the time" no "thank you for the hard work"...nothing. Completely unmotivational.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're setting up your store management up for failure. Managers take their jobs seriously, work hard, give you good results and the only thanks is..."Now we want even more from you. Here are your new, out of reach goals" You will continue to lose great management, at a rapid rate, until you get this under control. Hire qualified leaders (District Managers) that actually know how to lead a team. Not "favorite" SSM's with no people skills.

Great part time job.

ProsDiscount on children's clothes and flexible schedule..

ConsLow pay and set amount of hours that the store can use.

Great Experience.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThis is a great job to have if you need a second job or even just something to get you out of the house. Honesty, it's a really easy job to have!

ConsCompensation could definitely be better. They do offer health insurance and such but other than that on benefits, unless you're a Store Manager or higher, you don't get bonuses or much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates. They know and understand more than you think. Your associates should have more benefits or more incentives. It would help everyone with in the store.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Product and promotions for customers.

Store Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay . Great hours and great customers.

ConsToo many prices changes and moves done daily,weekly as well as monthly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't work with the company.

Exhausting...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPTO is bountiful, higher pay scale than most for management, great connections with awesome customers (both internal and external), great product!

ConsHigh expectations with small time frames (and little payroll of course), constant changes to floor sets and sale changes that make absolutely no sense, no sense of accomplishment due to never being "done", discount was great until the customer coupons started matching employee discount, selling a Citibank backed in-store credit card that offers very little incentive for the customer (5%...really?)

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out people! The company direction is going the wrong way...you need to build a structured communication system and stick with it. Nobody knows the "why" of what we are doing and that feels unstable and chaotic.

Open, friendly place for work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Scarborough, ON (Canada)

ProsThe management is friendly, engaging, and always thinking of ways to improve. They are helpful, easy to approach and talk to, and ready to help both the customer as well as their employees. Schedules are flexible, and managers are accommodating and very fair and understanding.

ConsHours are inconsistent. It is difficult to determine a stable or consistent paycheque, as you could work an abundance of hours during the holidays but then drop to only a few in a week immediately after.

I really won't recommend the job to anyone it actually is too much and stresses me out .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is the best thing.

ConsNo one can ever cover for I'm the only one reliable at the job. DONT really get hours I have an Open availablity and don't get no hour I can do Floor set, register, stock, great recovery , great customer service and is always willing to work .but when the company don't give hours nothing can really be done & they claim they want to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush Sales Associates way to much. Which Creates stress and upset & If associates are upset they will take it out on customers which creates customers complain. Job is too much to deal with and such little pay. Associates deal with Rude customer, Push them for place card , push to get customers to spend more money pushing reward program cleaning and recovering floor set being done trying to keep store neat.tooo much to handle .

Store Lead

Store Lead (Current Employee)
    Mishawaka, IN

ProsThere's always room to grow with this company. I was hired in for holiday help and I was promoted to Store Lead a couple months later.

ConsIt's retail so the pay isn't as good as I would like.

Still waiting to here back from the company but so far have had one phone interview. Know excel

Prosinterview was very basic (mainly background information)

Conshaven't started working so nothing thus far

High expectation job

ProsGreat people, and fun job

ConsCustomers are rude, pay is low, and the have unrealistic expectations for you job.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Children's Place reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Children's Place CEO Jane Elfers. All 454 reviews posted anonymously by The Children's Place employees.