The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 31 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 45 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

This is not a family oriented company and their values are only of their bottom line.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA higher than most employee discount, 30% off even on clearance items. The pay rate is above average for the area I'm in.

ConsThey take advantage of the employees that are willing to put in the long hours, blood, blood sweat, tears and time away from family to keep the store operational. Lesser employees are often overlooked for being insubordinate.

Not the place for me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the customers was the best part of the whole job. And seeing the regular customers was great. Cash register experience was great.

ConsNot enough pay, had to call in to see if you worked most of the time, to many people working the same day overall the pay was bad

Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne thing I like the most is the people!!! You work with very hard workers with high sense of pride. The salary is not bad if you are a manager, and if you have years with the company.

ConsIn a retail industry you need to be innovated and competitive, this company is all about profit and no development for the ones who works on the field. No investment for talent, hrs for training, ended it in lack of hrs and a lot of workload and very tight periods to complete. Customers are rude, and they think to deserve everything for just buying a $5.00 t- shirts and. 1.99 merchandise !! I learn a lot but I will never will be to work again for this company and any children's apparel company ...

Advice to Senior ManagementShe will be more productive running a company of middle age women's. She needs to Go !!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Blood Suckers

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay wasn't terrible for retail, but if you want a job where your allowed to think for yourself this isn't it. Vacation days were good. With the stress of retail you'd fall apart without them.

ConsThe hours were horrible along with the job. Managers treated workers like second class citizens. One hell of a popularity contest.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making clothes in labor camps in India.

Store manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were no pros to working there. They give you plenty of vacations days, but you are never allowed to take that time off. And they don't pay out weeks of vacation at the and of the year. You just lose it.

ConsUnhealthy work environment. They cut payroll down to extreme measures. This leaves the store a mess, the employees pushes past their limits, and customers unhappy. One of the worst places I have ever worked. They company does not care about their staff or customers. They just want money no matter what it costs up get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a manager or corporate employee know that you are a part of a horrible company. I will never refer anyone to ever work for The Children's Place and I most certainly wouldn't shop at any of their locations.

Not a healthy company culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsGreat vacation time and summer hours. Fun company Christmas party.

ConsWhile I was there so many people were either let go or quit. As soon as I established a relationship with my boss or coworker they were replaced by a new person. Sometimes the next day! Employees were not empowered to make decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and respect your employees. It isn't just the moral thing to do it helps your bottom line.

Ridiculous

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsThere are none right now

ConsEverything from Loss prevention to sales associates.
    SMs and ASMs are not properly training for supervisor positions. Leads and associates that are favored in hours do more work then they supervisors.
    The return policy is unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real employees that like families and children.

This company is a train wreck waiting to happen!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat discount if you have kids, cute and affordable products, mostly friendly staff

ConsOutdated register system that is extremely overly complicated and difficult to use, ridiculous shoplifting policy that only allows managers to stop shoplifters and only if you can say exact item, color, AND SIZE of item stolen and not even allowed to call mall security, extremely high pressure to get customers to sign up for store credit card, we were told to LIE to customers if needed to get them to sign up for email lists and phone numbers

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your register system to something that makes sense, (for example, when you hound us to get emails and then make us do a monkey promotion where we add on AFTER email capture which then deletes the email address with no option to even re enter it, then act like we suck at our jobs for not capturing enough emails) address consistency issues as managers and dm's always seem at odds with each other, don't put barely above minimum wage employees "on call", we are not doctors, we don't even make a living wage here and when these on call shifts interfere with our lives so much that we can't make plans we will quit which costs the company money in rehiring and training costs...even in this economy, crappy jobs are a dime a dozen. We can go get treated like garbage somewhere else.

The worst retail company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good.

ConsNO PAYROLL!!!!!!!
    Even when you make more than plan, you still get no payroll
    Heavy workload every week (floor set, floor set updates, price changes, markdowns) and no additional payroll given.
    This company has no structured.

Advice to Senior ManagementIF YOU WANT A LIFE BALANCE, STRUCTURE,PLANNING, DECENT PAYROLL. Stay away from this place

The Rumors Were True

Stock Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsJust that the work was pretty simple.

ConsEverything else basically. This is what I want to fill out. Basically, I heard about the rumors about how bad this company is in that it doesn't give enough hours, or enough pay. I read the reviews here of Glassdoor and noticed how negative they all were. yet, I was optimistic about what my experience would be at Children's Place. Let's just say that the job seemingly started off well enough, until about a week later when my hours were cut. Two weeks after I started, I noticed that two workers that started at the same time that I did had gotten more hours than I did for that week. Then on the following week, they gave me 0 hours! That was the straw that broke the camels back for me (I've gone through this at another job) so I decided to take the low road by quitting by not showing up to work the next time I was scheduled. Pretty much since they were unprofessional to me, I've decided to be unprofessional to them in return. Why should I give them the courtesy to tell them I was quitting? They don't deserve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimple. either add more hours to the pay roll or distribute the hours you do have fairly.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!