The Children's Place

Updated October 21, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute Clothing for kids!

Cons

Hired me but never gave me more then 10hrs a week

Stop going to the Hamptons and be a manager!!!!

Awesome internship!

Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great internship program, very organized, good exposure to all departments. Interns get to participate in summer Fridays and have the opportunity to work together on a project that is presented to the CEO and Senior Leadership Team

Cons

No cons in the internship program!

Hire interns for the fall and spring as well!

Positive working environment and culture. Truely wants the best for Children and the people that work in the stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture, autonomous working environment in my department. Good salary and benefits. Had the opportunity to do want I loved to do with people that I liked every day.

Cons

Very poltical home office environment. Became all about the dollar. Feel that CEO was very disconnected from the field. Making decisions without transparency.

Very important to be honest with your teams.

I researched and read negative reveiws. It was all true. I noticed first in the interview when their honesty mimicked exactly what I read.

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the store I worked in, the schedule was extremely flexible.

Cons

Although there was flexibility as far as the schedule, there was no hours to switch of call out for an emergency. How does that happen, you ask? Well my location would function on 169.00 hours. There was no time to do the work that needed to be done. As a manager you literally do it all. Paper work, shipment, clean, watch the floor, ring transactions, help customers, and babysit employees instead of mamage them. Most of this fine when there are more than one on one coverage. That's tight there's only two people in the store most of the time. And leaving the store to eat or do garbage are not possible without three people in the store.(unless done before hand). There are no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low. There are no hours for training and bad communication throughout shifts. No development to move in the company.

Stores outside of the malls need hours too. Training should be implemented to actually develop employees to grow. Management should manage not babysit employees. Pay should be raised.

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

Don't recommend

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is good only if you have kids. Other than that I can't really say anything good about working here.

Cons

They give you no hours and the pay is really really bad. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It's a waste.

Give more hours

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

RUN, don't walk, away!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Summer hours, Starbucks in walking distance.

Cons

Where to begin? Horrible management, constant turnover, everyone walking around waiting to be terminated, elitist, greedy CEO and upper management, little to no morale because raises are few and far between (thanks but no thanks for the "performance awards"... We're not in grade school and your dopey award won't pay my mortgage), corrupt HR department that makes hiring/firing decisions about other departments with absolutely no knowledge of those departments' needs or even functions, constant meetings to discuss other meetings and future meetings, upper management nickels and dimes employees to death on salary but goes to great lengths to insure their own astronomical salaries; nasty, catty CEO who thinks nothing of humiliating and demoralizing other executives in front of others...ugh, the list goes on.

Terminate entire executive team starting with the CEO and start over!

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

My experience was a positive one most of the 7 years in corporate but calendar deliverables unattainable

Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

excellent benefits, promote from within, CEO is aware of your contributions for such a big company, summer hours are great.

Cons

very tough culture, people are not team players, managers difficult to meet with, little recongnition, very littl etraining, easy to move up within company but never given the resouces so many are set up to fail.

Upper management is mostly woman and are in the top ranks of the company bc they are all friends. There is a lot of favoritism happnening and it's a girls Besties club.

The Children's Place Photos